Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Anyone not already using a serrated veggie peeler needs to go out and buy one right now. They are life changing.

jesus christ

my girlfriend has one of these and I hated it so much

after a year of dealing with it I "accidentally" "lost it" while we were cleaning house / rearranging drawers.

they can make things pretty I guess, if you like lines on your vegetables, but otherwise they just take tons extra off whatever you're peeling and are generally annoying. might just be my personal taste though. I don't think she ever thought twice about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: thermapens are on sale now, they're having an 'inventory reduction' sale. $96 thermapens are like $74. buy one now. :siren:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hauki posted:

Is it really worth it, even at a discount?
I mean, I can buy like 12 regular thermometers for that price :psyduck:

edit: Ugh, maybe I'll spring for one. Piece of poo poo digital I just bought up and died after a single use.

IT IS WORTH IT.

seriously. I hate spending money on things. this was probably the single most worthy 75-100 bucks I spent on my kitchen since my last nice knife, 7 years prior.

you absolutely don't need a thermometer to operate in a kitchen, but if you're ever going to use a thermometer, this is 100% worth the money.

I brew beer, which requires I take spot temperature readings at least 15 or so times a brew day. taking a good reading with a normal kitchen thermometer - regardless of how accurate it probably is (not very) takes at least 15-30 seconds per reading. which means I have to stop everything and hover over/hold my thermometer blah blah.

with the thermopen, I can get accurate readings within 3-5 seconds, which saves me like 15-20 minutes every time I brew, counting all the stopping and starting of poo poo I have to do with a normal thermometer.

aside from brewing, just for normal stuff, like taking the temperature of caramelizing sugar, oil in a deep fryer, temperature of the middle of a roast, etc, it's crazy worth it. I can stick the (ultra thin) needle of the thermapen into a chicken thigh, and thanks to its really fast readings, tell the difference in temperature between somewhere mid in the flesh of the thigh, and what it is right up against the bone. no loving way I could do that without such a nice thermometer, and if I did, I'd probably be jabbing it with a giant probe to kingdom come, juices all leaking out and poo poo. no way.

get a thermopen if you cook a lot. if you don't, just don't even bother with a thermometer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also, there was some fault with my first thermopen. it went through batteries like every 2 weeks. I wrote a concerned letter to their customer service like 'is this normal?' and they were like 'uhh no' and replaced mine free of charge.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know I could just google it (and will in like 2 seconds) but for the benefit of the thread, what exactly is that? the electric element in my kettle just broke, so I'm sort of in the market for a new hot water heater...

we got so much buildup in our kettle that I can't imagine an 'instant' hot water heater working for long without crapping out, but a wholehearted reccomendation from wiggles goes a ways....

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yep. The one I have (as in the picture) is a Narita brand -

that's interesting - I have a mini-prep food processor thing (holds like 2 cups) that I picked up at an asian market for like 12 bucks, and it's a Narita brand product too. I can't live without my narita mini prep, I'll definitely give this hot water thing a go.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah but I'm actually serious about the water pot. Very concrete improvement to daily life.

I don't know, after looking at it more, it looks like it just takes forever to heat water and then slowly keeps it at that temperature. That seems pretty inefficient, I only need hot water like 2-3 times a day, depending on what I'm cooking. I was hoping it was like one of those tankless water heaters that run water over some huge rear end electric coils, instantly boiling it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LoungieMu posted:

Anybody got a recommendation on a good steamer? I'm trying to make radish cakes, but pretty much anything like dumplings, bao, bulk veggies are fair game. The little add-on for my rice cooker is good for broccoli and rice, but not much else.

I've been using bamboo steamers for a long, long time. I used to convince myself that my plastic combination rice cooker / vegetable steamer was better, but it just can't hold as much and over steams stuff, and everything gets covered with condensation. bamboo absorbs moisture / vents it out, so you don't get condensate dripping on your dishes/dumplings/whatever. also they're easily expandable, and I think throwing a wok and a couple cups of water over my highest burner gets steaming just as fast as I could get all the parts to my plastic steamer out and plug it in and etc, etc.

edit - oh, re: above post with recommendation for stainless steamer - that's fine for like potatoes and lobster and vegetables and stuff, but please don't try to do dumplings or cakes or ribs with one, it'd just be a trainwreck.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 19, 2011

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deadwing posted:

The primary use for my FoodSaver is is to seal alcohol in Capri-Sun pouches. :cheers::hf::science:

haha awesome

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

VikingKitten posted:

I want to make sausage. I don't have (or really want) a Kitchenaid - any recommendations on a standalone meat grinder? Just how annoying would a manual one be?

actually probably better than the kitchenaid. I have the attachment, and while it works, it's not my favorite thing in the world. seems to turn my meat to paste a little more often than not. but then, I've never hand cranked a meat grinder, so that is probably annoying too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't know about hissy fits over tongs, but I have personally been looking for a good cheap set of tongs for about the last year to no avail.

the important thing to me about tongs is precision - I need to be able to grab the tail of a shrimp by one of its still-attached-fins and flip it over, but at the same time I need to be able to get under an entire chicken and have the gripping power to flip it and stuff. nylon isn't really precise enough, nor is the kind of flat-headed OXO one... and all the SS ones I've found that have really exacting tips are kind of flimsy and a little too cheap. argh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GigaFool posted:

I currently have 6 unglazed terracotta tiles in my oven, and I'm about to buy 6 more because we have a larger oven since moving.

They are at least 10 years old at this point, never come out of the oven, and still going strong. Excellent for breads and pizza, and you can put a pot/pan/tray on them just the same.

I spoke with mr. brown today, and he reiterated this was the way to go. soapstone, he said, is more durable, if you can find it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what's the best food mill? I keep on seeing $150-300 food mills in gay expensive food stores and getting angry as gently caress.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

According to Cook's Illustrated, $105 Cuisipro, or second best is $20 one by RSVP

Thanks, I figured there was a cooks illustrated one, but every time I start thumbing through my back issues like 5 hours go by for some reason. :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

have it, works fine, no complaints

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well, this is what I really want, but even used I can't find them for as cheap as the Globe. If you can get one, though, Hobart really is top of the line.

what are you even making that needs a mixer

the only two things I ever find myself using a mixer for are dough and meringue

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lots of dough at a time.

god among men

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GD_American posted:

I've ditched all my spice racks and mismatched jars and went to this:

http://zevro.com/spc-clear

(those are the clearance priced ones- a 6-jar rack for 15 bucks. The normal price ones on the website are a 6-jar for 35 bucks or a 12-jar for like 60 bucks)

Only I don't use the spice rack. I bought a 2' x 4' piece of sheet metal at Home Depot, screwed it to my kitchen wall and put the jars right on it. The tops are perfect- one little thumb lever moves it from closed to sprinkle to pour. They've got a glass window on the side to see what's in there (although I labeled everything with my P-Touch side and top), plus the actual little plastic container that stores the spice pops out for easy cleaning. I love these freaking things. I bought 24 of them and I might get more.

I cleared out so much drat cabinet and counter space it's ridiculous.

For the larger stuff (whole nutmeg, vanilla beans) I bought some of those square 2x2x2" metal boxes they sell at Walmart in the stationery/office supplies section (they have a little window on top) that folks use to store paper clips/push pins. The bottom isn't magnetic, but you can easily buy a bunch of cheapie magnets and superglue them to the bottom. They're only 3-4 bucks for a pack of two.

drat, I've been looking for a better spice storage solution (I just stack up plastic tubs I get from my farmers market now), but I gotta say that the lack of visibility is a dealbreaker for me - I never want to have to read something to identify my spices. If the containers were glass, the cool little thumb thing would probably make me buy them in an instant.

how does the seal work on the top of them? is it airtight / hopefully with some rubber gasket thing?

edit : .... also how does it even dispense spices? I see some really small looking hole things on the top, but they don't look big enough to let spices go through...?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 22, 2011

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I think I eventually want copper pans, or hybrid copper / stainless ones, or something. just some really high end poo poo that will look pimp as hell hanging in my future dream kitchen. you know, like the stuff you put on your wedding registry.

I don't really know where to start though. I don't want to buy like, williams sonoma dumb copper poo poo because I'm sure it's overpriced and gimmicky and who knows if it's actually good, but I'm having a hard time finding any sort of reviews on anything else.

anyone have any suggestions?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

I recall someone earlier in this thread saying that Mauviel (the most common brand) copper cookware's cast iron handles got hot and were badly balanced.

I think someone also mentioned All-Clad makes decent copper cookware, it has a copper layer embedded between steel and aluminum. IIRC, they said they couldn't notice much advantage over All-Clad's other aluminum/steel cookware but at least it doesn't suck. However, the only way you know it has copper inside is that it has a thin strip of exposed copper around the outside. If you're really in it just to show off that you have copper cookware then maybe this isn't for you.

edit: oh wait looks like they have another line of copper cookware now:
http://www.all-clad.com/collections/Cop.R.Chef/

http://www.all-clad.com/collections/Cop.R.Chef/CareAndUse/

Really strange - on these all clad pans, under care and use, it says not to use steel wool on the pan? normally that's the sort of thing I ignore, but it's in all caps - any idea why that might be? I use steel wool on my current (cuisineart chef classic) stainless pans all the time. they're pretty ugly, but it gets the job done...

thanks for the suggestions though, I hadn't looked at all-clads stuff recently.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

logical fallacy posted:

Just so you know, the copper on any of All-Clad's cookware is more for looks than performance. If you really want copper cookware, the brands you want are Falk, Matfer-Bourgeat, or Mauviel (not their newer line).

how do you know this, if you don't mind me asking? not so much because I doubt what you're saying, more just because I'm having a really hard time finding 'reputable' information about copper. I hadn't run across 'falk' yet at all, for instance.

and more strange information about 'best use' practices on the Mauviel 'heritage' line - "Never overheat an empty pan, this can lead to irreparable damage." and "
Always cook over low to medium heat."

wtf? always cook over low to medium heat? I don't understand - is this all just 'cover your rear end' poo poo they're putting on their sites? or is cooking with copper really different than cooking with stainless? I abuse the heck out of my stainless pans, and they've always been fine. still wondering about that above caution against using steel wool on the inside of the all clad pans.... :confused:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

The point is that copper looks like poo poo if it's used over high heat repeatedly. In other words, don't buy it.

I don't really think copper looks like poo poo when its tarnished? / I don't care about looks at all.

but I guess there's no reason to have a copper/stainless bonded pan? I don't know, I I'm just looking for and want the best loving goddamnit pan in existence really, I don't care about anything else. I guess those compromise all clad ones with the copper band/center sound decent? burghh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
SOMEONE BUY ME A PURE SILVER PAN ALREADY GODDAMN

EDIT : URANIUM CORED PURE SILVER PAN

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

logical fallacy posted:

If you really want copper cookware, have the money, and don't ever plan to use induction, then pick one of the brands I recommended. If you want to use induction, then pick one of the All-Clad Stainless (regular or D5, the D5 has rolled edges, but I have my doubts that it's otherwise worth the price difference). If you don't care about induction, then go with the LTD2 or MC2 (they have more aluminum than the stainless series). Don't bother with the copper series, as both have negligible amounts of copper, not enough to justify the price or to pretend that they're real copper cookware.

I own Mauviel, All-Clad Stainless, All-Clad LTD2, and All-Clad Copper Core (most of my All-Clad are the copper core), and even though I lust after copper cookware, I find myself using any one of the All-Clads more often than I use the one Mauviel sauce pan I own. If I had to buy it all again, I'd still keep the Mauviel, but I wouldn't bother with the All-Clad Copper Core. They have rolled edges and they look nice, but they aren't worth the extra cost, and although they're pretty, those 2 little bands of copper are a bitch to keep shiny.

thanks, I really appreciate your feedback since you actually own this poo poo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tycho_atreides posted:

Everything Kuhn Rikon makes is loving awesome. Also do not buy the OXO oyster knife for any reason. It is total garbage.

I'd second this, but I disagree. it's fine. it's not a 'good' oyster knife, but considering a 'good' oyster knife is something that would probably kill/maim the average consumer, I think it's about as good as you're gonna get.

soooooooooooo

speaking of newegg deals, there's this for like $25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-96268031-L05C

I basically don't know what the gently caress to make of it.

I've been wanting a foodsaver/cryovac (let's face it, I really just want a cryovac), but haven't gotten around to getting one. the price point on that thing is pretty appealing, but 0 reviews, and it probably doesn't include bags, and I've never even used one of the smaller, non-cryovac things... I don't know. half intrigued, half sketched out.

but hey I could claim parts of my computer and parts of my kitchen were made by the same company, which would be pretty hilarious!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drive By posted:

I bought one like but better than that for sous-vide but I'm too cheap to spring for the channeled bags, and it works really badly with the simple bags. I haven't used it in a year because it's so frustrating.

I'd skip, it has a single wire heater and looks like yet another piece of plastic poo poo. What are you gonna use it for?

On the other hand if it's just an itch you want to scratch, hey, 25 bucks!

I want to mainly use it for portioning / storage. taking large cuts of meat and freezing them for later use, etc. I'm sure I'll play around with sous-vide eventually, but I enjoy cooking stuff via traditional methods so much that I'm not really itching to start doing it at home.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Planet X posted:

Can anyone point me to a good sharpening stone I can use with a variety of midline kitchen knives? Or should I dig through the knife thread in TFR?

the old knife thread said get a norton oil stone. I bought one and some oil off amazon for like 20-30 bucks, it works well. I don't know what I'm doing though so my edges last like a day. ugh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

The main problem with the Sharpmaker is that it can only sharpen to precisely two angles, and the rods it come with aren't really abrasive enough if your knife isn't already sharpened to one of those two angles and you need to reprofile it.

If you have trouble keeping a consistent angle freehand, get a piece of scrap wood or plastic or some drat thing that's big enough to hold your stone. Measure the length. Figure out how high you need to raise one end of it to give you the angle you want---20 degrees or whatever. Put stuff under one end until it is that high. Put your stone on the inclined surface.

You've just made something that works the same way a Sharpmaker does, only you need to keep the blade horizontal when you're sharpening instead of having to keep it vertical.

Here's a `fancy' version of the above I made with some scrap wood, including a riser that's pre-drilled to a few common sharpening angles. That's an 8" Norton stone sitting on it.

I did this, works great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
subg - my edges only seem to last like a couple weeks touching up with a honing steel, after that even the steel doesn't render them very sharp. this is in contrast to when I have them professionally sharpened, and the edge seems to last 2-4 months before it's irreparable. any ideas? using a norton stone in basically the same setup you have except mine is much less pretty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Today's woot is a 32 piece Lock & Lock set for $25 shipped. How do these compare to Rubbermaid or Tupperware?

I have some glass ones that I think are lock and lock? they have the 4 sided thing anyways.

I'm really torn about buying these. On the one hand, my storage system right now is a smattering of those, tupperware, and odd bits. I've been meaning to just throw everything away and start anew for a while.

But, I also really hate the 4 point locking system. call me lazy, but it's honestly a pain to have to snap on all 4 sides, and I never really feel like it's locked on properly for whatever reason. this might be particular to the glass ones I have though...

I think I'll wait for some tupperware or even better, find some cambros or something...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

My wooden cooking spoon is chipping apart. I would get a stainless replacement but I use it a lot with my nonstick skillet to break apart meat. Is there a better option than just buying cheap replacements at Target?

no way.

I bought my newest wooden spoons at a dollar store for a 3 pack, small medium and large. I think that was about 5 years ago now. I use them still basically every time I cook.

buy the cheapest, dumbest wooden spoons you can find, and never look back.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr Executive posted:

I disagree. Wooden spoons generally last a long time and even decent ones don't cost very much. If I'm going to use a spoon for 2 years, I'm going to spend an extra 2 dollars and get a nicer spoon that feels good in my hand, provides some grip, and is shaped in a way that lets me scoop poo poo out of the corner of pots and pans. I hate working with those pencil-thin spoons that feel like they're made out of balsa. For the better quality, I'll pay the $.005 premium for each meal I cook.

I disagree right back atcha. All my 'nicer' wooden spoons have rounded edges and poo poo, and if they're larger to "fit in my hand" better they're usually horrible at getting into corners of pots and pans. The thinner cheap wirey balsa wood ones not only are better at getting into corners and lighter/more nimble for delicate tasks like flipping fish but I also don't feel bad about putting them into a dishwasher. not that I feel bad about putting nice wooden spoons in dishwashers...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thats right bitches, i flip fish with a wooden spoon. what of it. :colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've never ever thrown a knife away of any sort ever. what the hell.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
actually nevermind, I mean there was this one time at taco bell where I had a spork and it pretty much got the job done so I was like 'seeya later knife'

and then I threw the spork away too booya :clint:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Trying to avoid buying ikea, moved into a new place and I'd rather have something a bit sturdier.

I'm really happy with the like 3x3 butcher block / island cart I got from ikea. it was like 50 bucks, has wheels, is really sturdy and hasn't warped at all - I don't know what more I could want from it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

My bread machine recommendation is don't. I got a Panasonic as a gift, and while it is a perfectly good bread machine, no bread that I have made using it (including those where I used the dough function to make a poolish or sponge) has come close to a no-knead bread for texture or flavour. The only thing I'd use it for now is brioche.

I haven't used a bread machine in years, but my parents used to have one back in the day. I never used the actual 'bake' function, but it worked really really well as a kneader / proofbox I thought. I'd just dump all my poo poo in there and let it go to town, then dump my proofed dough out and shape it into loaves and bake. ymmv

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Yeah, I've used it for that but it's never been as good as no-knead. I think its because that even when using a sponge you have only a portion of the dough with a longer ferment, whereas with no-knead all the dough is bubbling away for 12 hours or what have you. I firmly believe that a longer ferment is the key to good bread. I think if one was making sourdough (alas, not my wife's favourite) then the bread machine as a kneading and proofing tool would be good, but if one already has something like a good stand mixer which could knead, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I know this is a different thread, but I've never done this 'no-knead' thing. it sounds gimmicky, but I trust your judgment - do you have a link or particular recipe/technique you'd recommend checking out? my bread sucks, guess I should give everything a try.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you don't own at least 3 stainless mixing bowls, I don't know what you're doing with your kitchen gear. literally probably the most essential thing in my kitchen aside from knives. I would choose a mixing bowl over a cutting board even, or even over a pan. gently caress, you can use them as a frying pan if you get desperate enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Huh, sorry about that. Should have looked at the price before I posted- when I bought one it was about $25.

Making my own laundry detergent

Speaking of, I'd like to recommend making your own dishwasher powder. It works much better than anything I've bought commercially and is significantly cheaper than purchasing the little blister pack things. The only thing that I don't like about it is it leaves a little bit of a film on my Tupperware, although that might be more my crappy dishwasher and less the detergent.

I'm picky about this sort of thing, and I find cascade gel does a great job, as does arm & hammer fragrance free laundry detergent. I've tried tons and tons of brands, but those two I always come back to - they're a bit more expensive, but totally worth it, and I imagine a lot cheaper than trying to make your own. and I'm a DIY kind of guy.

• Locked thread