Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What about tongs? I have like 4 of them and constantly crave more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Please! Offset spatulas 4 lyfe.

Let's dance.

Actually I used to have an offset spatula but I ruined it and never go around to replacing it. They make excellent tools for spreading tile cement.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
There is going to be a flood of knife nerds in here any second with magnified pictures of what those things do to blades. It isn't pretty.

A Spiderco Sharpmaker is really the best bet for a easy sharpening system. I have a Lansky that I don't really like. I am enough of a knife/tool nerd that I am going to buy a EdgePro but I think that might be overkill for most people.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Jack Black posted:

Lol you can pay me $140 to wreck your knives too if you like.

gently caress. For that kind of money you can buy an entry level Edgepro and sharpen anything (well, not scissors).

It is really not a matter of being snobbish, those pull through sharpeners really will damage your knife. You are honestly better off buying a new $25 knife when ever needed rather then loving around with on of them.

Flite knives are the best thing for cutting closed cell foam, which is used in art packing and a lot of prop making. I have worked in shops that used pull throughs and they will grind a cheap knife down to nothing in about 50-75 sharpening sessions. They also produce a really weak edge so you have to sharpen them all the time.

If you don't want to learn how to sharpen properly then your best bet is to find a butcher shop or kitchen store to do it for you.

Oddly enogh I am looking get get a pull through to sharpen my work knife, which gets used to cut tape off of steel pipe. Here it is the right tool as the knife in question is getting so abused the added ware doesn't really matter much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also a shot glass and a screwdriver handle will work in a pinch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Properly installed drywall anchors will hold an amazing amount of weight. Go to a Lowes as they have a really good section and make sure to fallow the instructions exactly, especially in terms of drill bit size.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

If you're not doing a large amount of stuff, get something like this.

Honestly the only thing I use my full sized processor for these days is grating bar soap for making my own laundry detergent. I hate that thing, double so now that then handle broke and I have to finagle with stuff to even get it to work.

The gently caress? How is this remotely economical?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

How do y'all clean your spice grinders? We were given one which we used for cumin, and despite running rock salt through it, it still makes everything else taste like cumin.

I used rice to when I tired of chili powder flavored coffee.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

I'm looking at dual-fuel ranges for sometime next year (no gas hookup in the house, so have to take care of that first). Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a double oven like so:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KDRS505XSS.html

provide any real benefit at all?

I have lusted after one for a while now. As for gas, I currently live in the sticks so my stove is propane. I can hook it up to a 5g BBQ gas bottle, which lasts for like a month or two. Install seems to be "drill hole in wall, run line through" simple. I have seen a few duel fuel stoves that can be converted to propane.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a cooking scale that I can buy in a store tomorrow. I have the usual suburban assortment of stores around.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Salter is pretty common, and their stuff is good. BBB should have it.

Great, thanks. Tomorrow shall be be baconday!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
God that thing is somehow still funny.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
All mine really gets used for anymore is making dog food (where it doesn't matter if parts get overcooked) and mulled wine/cider.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

Holy loving poo poo this is brilliant, why have I never thought of this?

Xmas this year was three days of spicy, drunken blur.

I actually went and bought a second, smaller crockpot just to make drinks in. poo poo rules.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I actually use a Sawzall as my main cutting implement in the kitchen.

The "Torch" brand metal blades are the best for meat and veg while for bread I prefer a longer and more aggressively toothed demo blade.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want to buy a allclad frying/sautepan of some sort. I have no real firm idea of what I want other then to have something other then the cast iron skillet I already have. I don't mind spending money to get something decent but want the best price/value I can get.

What should I buy?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Don't you guys just lift the tank to see how full it is? Rapping on it with a wrench also works pretty well.

I don't think you are ever going to find a decent gas grill anywhere near the price point of a decent charcoal grill. Other then the oven, a gas grill is more or less a stove and I am pretty sure you are never going to find a good stove for $300.

My issue with buying a charcoal grill is that while I have the skills and tools to make a badass grill (and have before), i have never actually gotten around to doing it. So I buy cheap grills and dream.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Knives have a handedness to them?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

drat Your Eyes! posted:

Please don't throw electronics away in the trash :ohdear:

Yeah man, you are supposed to take it to a gravel pit and shoot at it until there are just tiny pieces left.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

icehewk posted:

Bam, 4 oz jars. If you check out your local canning supplier (read: big box fuckos cashing in on the trend) you may be able to find 4 oz and save the $11 on shipping.

If it's good enough to seal up pipe tobacco for years, it's good enough for spices. Pipe smokers are a distinguishing lot and won't take any trust in namby pamby storage solutions to prevent their precious leaf from perishing.

I can confirm all of this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I need a toaster. Just a normal toaster for the toasting of bread. Cant find good bagels around here so really just bread.

Every toaster I have looked at across 5-6 stores all feel like junk. Someone please recommend a good toaster for the toasting of bread.

Second and somewhat related question. The broiler on my over sucks rear end. Are there any decent bench-top models that work well without being huge as poo poo?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'll also put the toaster oven suggestion out there. They can toast, roast a whole chicken, cook a pizza and broil chicken thighs or creme brulee. It's like having a second smaller oven with a broiler that isn't retarded.

Ok, any specific ones to recommend? We are trying to limit counter space clutter so a small one might be better.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think I want a smallish food processor. Maybe something like 5 cups? I have read that the Kitichen Aid big ones are good, how are their smaller ones?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Or just go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap metal work stand like for a bench grinder or whatever. They are like $40.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

walruscat posted:

Thanks. I was looking for a stand up because I thought it would be less straining when juicing 20+ limes. How tiring do you think it would be to squeeze that like 40 times?

Insanely tiring. I am also looking for a good standup press, let me know if you find anything. I keep meaning to go hunting around for a god kitchen supply store but never have.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

the last kitchen I worked in used this : http://www.waringwebstore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=WAR+PCJ218&trk_src_ss=WARPAYPCWEBMACSS&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKyh4r7t8bcCFWIV7AodRB8Akw

I went through about 10 cases of citrus on it, it was fine.

Yeah but that lacks the danger element of drunkenly getting my finger caught in the gears.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are the factory reconditioned Vitamixs worth looking into? I am on the cusp of buying an edgepro as a new toy but could be into a blender.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

fwiw, factory reconditioned models are 430bux and costco sells 5200's for 475bux. I went with the brand new one for 50bux more, I think it's worth it.

Huh, didn't even think to look at Costco. I want a blender but dont really need a $400 one but my obsession with tools leads me to want one.

I am going to sell all the sharpening poo poo I have now and invest in some stones in anycase and thought an edgepro would be a good benchmark for learning and will hold value well when I eventually want to sell it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think the rocker thing is kinda cool looking and am going to buy one as I enjoy shiny things and love messy drawers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Just put the money into a mutual fund instead. Sixty cents, every year, for the rest of your life!

EDIT: Okay, officially off-topic. Apologies.

Hah, yeah, if I were the kind to do that a $15 gadget would not be the first thing on the chopping block.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Looking to get a small chest freezer. I have very limited space to stick this thing in and want one with the smallest useful foot print.

I have been looking at these two:

38.5"D x 23.2"W x 34.5"H

34.500"H x 38.500"W x 23.200"D

I am sure the narrower one is going to be a bit annoying to rummage through but I have this awesome plan to mount a white board on the lid so I can list what is in there and in what layer.

Anyone have an opinion about this?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want a huge rear end wooden cutting board. I dosn't have to be pretty but that would be nice.

Somewhere in my father's shop I have a like 20"x64" burcherblock counter top but I don't know if I want to cut a slab off of that. What are my cheaper options?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am looking to buy a foodsaver type thing. Mainly I want it for packaging meat for freezing but might want to do some SV stuff later. Is there a standout model?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

I have the older model of this : http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/T000-18003.html#start=19&sz=12 - I really like the vertical form factor. I stash it in a nook between my toaster and a wall depthwise, and just pull it out in front of the toaster when I need to use it, using a drawer as my work surface. works great, actually using it tonight to seal up and freeze some bacon I cured into individual portions. It's great for stuff like that, or buying meat or cheese something in bulk where I only really want to use a certain amount before the rest would otherwise go bad. honestly I don't use it for much else though.

I'm well into sous vide as a technique, but the food savers are just a huge pain to use in reality for the application. the 'no liquids' thing is a HUGE dealbreaker - and even when I am doing something that is relatively dry (like a duck leg for confit or something), the unit is just not good enough at removing air - there is almost always a small enough pocket that will expand during cooking due to steam, etc - and the SV bag will float. really annoying. I've had a few broken seals too due to moisture getting sucked up into the sealing area, and preventing a good seal. I now seal 2-3 times when there's any moisture in the bag, just to make sure - but it's still a pretty big flaw.

one day I'll be crazy enough to lay out money for a chamber sealer, maybe...

Interesting, I was looking at [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XDA3S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]this one] mainly because it is flat enough to fit in a drawer, which is what most of my kitchen storage is. It also has an accessory port but idk what I would do with that. They have so many different models with very similar feature sets and wildly different price points.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have never made an omelet. Sunny side up is so good I can never not cook them that way. But I have to break the yoke in the pan so I end up with a lightly cooked mess and so I cant just eat the yoke all in one go.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am doing some "experiments" involving different diffusers for my gas range and am looking for a decent, cheap infrared thermometer to assist with this. I don't need something super accurate, just looking for hot spots and the like.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

im getting ready to buy my first home with my wife. totally very much considering buying something like 20-40k less than I can comfortably afford, and using the difference to renovate the gently caress out of a kitchen. im talkin giant giant kitchen enveloping venthood, new gently caress off range, separate standing fridge/freezers, hardwood counters, giant sink :)

I can dream right

Then knock another 40k off to make the bathroom something a roman emperor would be proud of and you more or less have my dream house.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Back to oven-chat, I used to have one with a small griddle in place of a middle burner. It was amazing for browning buns, making a quick grilled cheese, reheating pizza, and a ton of other stuff. I wouldn't use to to make like a ton of tortillas or whatever but for cooking for two I used it all the time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Anyone want to argue for gloves? I'm willing to be convinced. And I haven't even used a damp towel by accident lately.

I use tig welding gloves in the kitchen or grilling, but mostly because I drink a lot while cooking and feel it is an important safety measure. They are pretty cheap if you buy Harbor Fright grade ones, which hold up fine for kitchen work. I am so used to throwing work gloves on and off I don't feel they are much slower then grabbing a towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

I wouldn't worry that much, they're pretty robust containers. Throw a cover over it and the grill to keep the elements out and it will be fine. You don't even really need to cover it, but the grill especially will last longer if you keep rain and such off it. As long as someone isn't taking shots at your balcony with a rifle, there really shouldn't be anything that could come close to making the propane cylinder explode.

An electric grill isn't really worth it IMHO. Your oven broiler is the same thing.

Having shot many many propane tanks with rifles, it will not blow up unless there is a lit road flare taped to it.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread