Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Do you guys have yard sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd look there or at a thrift store TBH. £58.56 is like 3 times what we pay for one over here. That poo poo's crazy.

(That's the price I saw on Amazon.co.uk)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I got the Victorinox Fibrox boning knife for father's day. It's still cheap unlike the chef's knife. It was also recommended by y'all and ATK so here's hoping. Even if it sucks, it's only $20.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

do you have a flexible boner, or a stiff boner? I opted for the flex boner, because I like to shove my boner into fish. a flexible boner has treated me well in that regard, but I often wonder - particularly when groping a hen, if a stiff boner wouldn't be the way to go...

It's the flexible one. I tried it out and its great. I just wonder how long it keeps its edge is all. It looks like stamped steel.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
While we're on the subject, just for those of you who don't want to drop $80 on a thermometer this is a super great buy and you should at LEAST get this.
http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

I mean we're talking about a matter of 2 seconds. (That being said, I loving love my thermapen)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Trip report on that knife. Don't you love that "thunk" feeling when a blade is stopped only by bone? gently caress there's a lot of vein in your fingers. Gotta get used to the new grip, gently caress.

Edit. I just realized the irony of the boning knife cutting down to my bone.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 25, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hopper posted:

a small all purpose fruit knife (no idea what those are really called).

You got it. Either a fruit knife or a paring knife.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

a worthy uhh posted:

Any recommendations on salt/pepper grinders? I think I remember the Peugeot electric ones being suggested, but $90? Pass.

It's expensive but so worth it. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFB4N

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Looks like there's a new king and we're all wrong. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1390-pepper-mills

I will point out however that your Peugeot wasn't listed. Other models were though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You guys still use toasters for bagels? Microwaved bagels are the best. MMmmmm mmmmm

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Don't forget this is apparently better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RADVJ0?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=as2 My unicorn is still going strong so until it ever breaks i won't be switching over.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 12, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
On the pepper grinder chat, my only complaint about the Unicorn is that the grind setting is all guesswork. I mean, it's great and all but that Cole one would be pretty neat. Plus I bet lefties would prefer it since they're the ones who have trouble spilling their peppercorns out of the Unicorn. IDK I'm not a lefty, they're a rather sinister lot.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Microwaved bagels are disgusting. It was a failed attempt at trolling. eww. Also, what in the holy hell are you talking about?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hed posted:

I'm lefthanded and have never experienced this, but I think I got the Unicorn Magnum in the last 18-24 months. Do you just mean the way they hold it exposes the hole?

:shrug: I'm not left handed. It's just what I've read on reviews.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thermoworks has their new oven probe on sale for $29.95. Looks to be a straightforward thermometer with no extra bells and whistles/bullshit.

http://thermoworks.com/products/alarm/dot.html

Dang my old one works fine but that looks cool.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I still don't trust induction stoves. That poo poo is god drat witchcraft. Gas stove supremacy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hauki posted:

The cable is rated to 700F. Just.. stick it in the door? The insulation lining the door should accommodate it easily. It's like 1/16" thick.

That's exactly what you do. Why else would it have a long rear end cable?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Because it's simpler and so less likely to break but to each his own. I mean poo poo, the one I have is probably about 15 or 20 years old and the only issue is the switch on the back that switches between C and F flutters back and forth with the slightest touch.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
There aren't any ones that people go crazy for. Your best bet is the cheapest kind you can works for everyone so far.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Lobster posted:

My dad has gotten into cooking recently but he's 76 so chopping foods is hard for him what with the arthritis in his hands, is there some kind of appliance I can buy him that would chop for him?

I'm also going to buy him a new blender for Christmas. :) Thanks for the recs in the OP!

A food processor! Recommendations on that depend on budget. I mean a slapchop is fine if you want to spend $10 but beyond that there's a whole mess of toys that he might like.This is a good buy for $200 http://amzn.com/B0000645TW

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

The quality of Cuisinarts has gone done, though... the one I bought 5 years ago isn't nearly as well-built as the much older models that I borrowed before I bought my own.

The drat chopping blade came apart on me last week. It was kinda scary, and the replacement is going to cost $27. :argh:

The slap chop is only $10!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Guys seriously

New thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3749739

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I only skimmed the article.

If you want a recommendation, mine would be to read the article. (Also the magnums are rad, I think they got a bum one)

• Locked thread