Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lou reed posted:

Ah, that makes way more sense. Thank you!

I'm getting a Paragard. I'm going to go through the PP since I work for a religious institution and their insurance won't cover anything. Not looking forward to paying for it.

Depending on where you are, if your insurance offers no coverage for family planning, you may qualify for some kind of state program even though you have insurance. I'm sure the lovely folks at your PP can let you know what's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Not Impressed posted:

And for a semi-embarassing but important question I can't seem to get an answer to - will my partner feel the strings? Even if he's fingering?

I also use the Diva cup and my doctor didn't seem to think it was such a good idea to keep that up with an IUD because of the risk of pulling the strings out. Is anyone out there using a menstral cup with an IUD successfully? Or best to just let this practice go?

I have had a Mirena since November 2009.

The first time my boyfriend and I had sex after I got the Mirena, about 4 days post-insertion, the string poked him in the urethra. I have never seen such a full body recoil/strangled noise. Oh my goodness it was funny but I felt terrible for laughing. These days he can feel it very occasionally, in certain positions worse than others. Sometimes he can feel it on the head of his penis a bit but he can ignore it, sometimes we have to change position. I don't know if he's ever felt it while fingering me.

I have never used a Diva cup, but I have used the Instead, which does not seal onto the cervix. There's nothing for the strings to get caught on, they're too short and slippery for me to grab, and considering how uncomfortable it was to get the thing inserted, I'm pretty sure I would notice if I started pulling on the strings.

And Neko Sou, forgive me if this is rude, but I'm extremely curious: what religion allows Brazilian waxes but no period sex or tampons for unmarried women?

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 21, 2011

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly

Reformed Tomboy posted:

The doctor that put you on this, and is telling you to stay on it is not an ob/gyn? She's a general practitioner, then? You really should see a gyno for gyn-related stuff. They are educated on that as an emphasis, and not general knowledge that "normal" doctors are given, and so are better to consult. Would you talk to your regular doctor if you had a specialized problem? No, she'd refer you to someone else. Who does your lady-check-ups?

In this case I'm going to have to agree with the pharmacist. You really should see a gyno, and you should really consider swapping types. I'm the queen of telling people to stay on pills that work, but in the case of old pills (that came out in the 60s and 70s), I don't agree. They've learned a lot since when bc first came out, and there's no reason to be on a dosage that high.

I was on a high dosage pill once, for one pack. I got it at a clinic, and when I went back to my real gyno, she freaked about it. took me off it right away. She told me she was shocked they put me on it in the first place considering it's dose, my weight, and how old the pill was. I can't recall what it was called, but I'll try to dig out the old packet I saved.

Also, is there a reason the brand version isn't made anymore?

Edit: it was Necon 1/35 1mg norethindrone and 0.035mg of ethinyl estadiol

Yes, the prescribing doctor is a general practitioner. She also does my pap smear at my annual exam. I actually have no idea why the brand isn't made any more. It might just be 'too old'. From my pharm tech experience sometimes super old stuff only exists in generic.

I've never went to an ob/gyn before, but the pharmacist recommended me the office she goes to so I will give them a call tomorrow. I have always been worried that since I don't get my period on a consistent basis without the pill I might have trouble having children. I am sure the doctor there can talk to me about that too.

Thank you very much for your advice!

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

Good time for a new thread!

I have an embarrassing question. I got the paragard a month and a half ago and had no real side effects afterward. Right after my 6 week check up, I started having heavy bleeding. I know bleeding is to be expected, but there wasn't any for so long that I'm starting to get worried. This isn't even spotting. Is this normal or do I call the doctor about it?

Yep, welcome to your new period! It's pretty much like a faucet for awhile. There's 'on' and there's 'off'. I got my paragard in June of '10 and just the past 3 months I've been having a lead up and let down. (Even then it's just a few hours of spotting before the flood.) On the upside it doesn't last as long. But it does even out, just have to wait for your uterus to get used to it's new friend. :)

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have had a Mirena since November 2009.

The first time my boyfriend and I had sex after I got the Mirena, about 4 days post-insertion, the string poked him in the urethra. I have never seen such a full body recoil/strangled noise. Oh my goodness it was funny but I felt terrible for laughing. These days he can feel it very occasionally, in certain positions worse than others. Sometimes he can feel it on the head of his penis a bit but he can ignore it, sometimes we have to change position. I don't know if he's ever felt it while fingering me.

I have never used a Diva cup, but I have used the Instead, which does not seal onto the cervix. There's nothing for the strings to get caught on, they're too short and slippery for me to grab, and considering how uncomfortable it was to get the thing inserted, I'm pretty sure I would notice if I started pulling on the strings.

And Neko Sou, forgive me if this is rude, but I'm extremely curious: what religion allows Brazilian waxes but no period sex or tampons for unmarried women?

Hahaha, it's not rude. I'm Muslim. I know, it's kind of a weird combination :sweatdrop: Some of the most conservative women back in the old country have been getting Brazilians (before their wedding night) for ages.

Gonna have to just (wo)man up and try it I guess, but I'm just nervous. Forgive me for sounding like such a baby, it's just that I didn't get to do this stuff when I was 14 so now I don't have any help. The doctor's gloved finger hurts like crazy so I feel like a piece of plastic is gonna be terrible :gonk:

Is there a point when I should be calling the doctor about the bleeding? Or should I wait until I start month 4?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

lou reed posted:

The whole effectiveness percentage thing has always perplexed me. If condoms are 98% effective with perfect use, does that mean if you had 100 women use condoms perfectly and they all had sex at the same time, two of them would end up pregnant? What if one woman had sex 100 times while always using a condom perfectly? Will she get pregnant within the first 50 tries? Or is it if you go up to bat, you have a 2% chance of striking out?

I just found out the other day that even sterilization has a failure rate. What the hell??

It's always over a year of use - completely ignores how frequently someone has sex.

So, on average (since it's just a statistic!) If you followed 100 women who used condoms perfectly for a year, regardless of how often they had sex, about two of them would end up pregnant. If you followed 100 "typical" users - people who make mistakes - about 17 of them would end up pregnant.

If you followed 1000 women instead of 100, about 20 of them would be pregnant by the end of the year, even if they were all perfect condom users.

The failure rates are NOT the failure rates for a single act of intercourse. If they were, they would be much, much smaller.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Neko Sou posted:

Gonna have to just (wo)man up and try it I guess, but I'm just nervous. Forgive me for sounding like such a baby, it's just that I didn't get to do this stuff when I was 14 so now I don't have any help. The doctor's gloved finger hurts like crazy so I feel like a piece of plastic is gonna be terrible :gonk:

I don't know if this is what you meant by needing help, but pretty much every pack of tampons I've ever bought comes with printed step by step instructions for insertion. The plastic applicators are really smooth/rounded off and at the risk of being gross, the blood kind of lubricates things. I usually use the kind with cardboard applicators and those never hurt either. It doesn't feel anything like the doctor, trust me.

If you want to take baby steps with tampons, most companies make a "slim" version aimed at teenagers that are just starting out and people who might be a bit smaller down there.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Neko Sou posted:

On my 3rd month of Jolessa (Wal-Mart generic for Seasonale) and I just started bleeding out of nowhere for over a week now. I was a couple weeks away from my first scheduled period when this started. My gynecologist had all but promised me I'd be bleeding a lot so I was surprised when it never happened (until just recently). Is this going to keep going until my period starts? :smith: I can't have sex with my husband when I'm on my period (religious reasons) and I've never used a tampon (before it was religious reasons but now that I'm married I'm scared it will be too painful) but I'm starting to get desperate. I want to get a Brazilian but I can't do it when this is going on. It's just enough bleeding to prevent me from doing the stuff I want to do but it's not a real period. Help anyone? :(

Like NaturalLow suggested, I would try out a slim/junior/light flow tampon if you're experiencing "just enough bleeding to prevent me from doing the stuff I want to do but it's not a real period." I prefer Playtex Gentle Glide brand- the applicator is made of rounded plastic (which doesn't hurt at all) and it's very easy to use.

rainbow kittens posted:

Oh. My. Gosh. So, I am finally taking week 13 of Seasonale. The placebo week. I had been spotting/bleeding since my second week on this, with a very short week sometime in the second month where I didn't bleed at all. I would take the spotting days over this!

I've been bleeding heavily for the past three days. I feel lethargic, and it's like "crap, am I going to need a transfusion?"

I am really hoping that my doctor was correct when he said that when I start the second pack my body will calm the fffff down. Because this is unbearable! The cramps suck, too. 400mg of ibuprofen touches nothing.

I've never taken Seasonale but I've been in a situation of extreme bleeding. The advice I've gotten from doctors is that you're okay as long as you're not "soaking through a pad faster than once an hour." I assume the formula would translate to tampons in the form of 1 per hour. So don't worry too much about your heavy bleeding unless it keeps up at this rate for like 2+ weeks or you have side effects from blood loss (such as passing out, etc).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SilverSliver posted:

Yep, welcome to your new period! It's pretty much like a faucet for awhile. There's 'on' and there's 'off'. I got my paragard in June of '10 and just the past 3 months I've been having a lead up and let down. (Even then it's just a few hours of spotting before the flood.) On the upside it doesn't last as long. But it does even out, just have to wait for your uterus to get used to it's new friend. :)

I've only had 2 periods with mine so far. The first was very heavy. I filled my diva cup multiple times per day (I still use it and it is awesome. Just break the seal near the bottom instead of grabbing higher up) My 2nd period with the paragard was significantly lighter. Still on the heavier side but nothing like the first. Over all my experience with paragard has been very positive.

On a side note: I saw on the main post that paragard contains nickel? I'm highly allergic to it and told my doctor AND it is found no where in the product information packet. Are you sure? I'd be breaking out in hives and poo poo. I can't even wear 18kgold or surgical steel because they have trace nickel and my skin flares up like a balloon.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tigntink posted:

On a side note: I saw on the main post that paragard contains nickel? I'm highly allergic to it and told my doctor AND it is found no where in the product information packet. Are you sure? I'd be breaking out in hives and poo poo. I can't even wear 18kgold or surgical steel because they have trace nickel and my skin flares up like a balloon.

The only reason I have for that is the livejournal post I linked (which is the reference that my doctor used when I asked her...). I have the same kind of thing, where the rivets on my jeans need to have a double layer of masking tape if I don't want an itchy bumpy rash. I would rather avoid it than have it put in and find out I react to it, so I put that in there. :tinfoil: I'll add a "YMMV" sort of thing to it, make it less absolute, shall I?

eta: Okay, I've googled a bit more and it seems like (very, very rarely) some women are allergic to the copper itself, which tends to present as skin itchiness & blemishes recurring during menses. It can start either immediately after insertion or within a few months or even after a couple of years. There are some articles on PubMed. As for the nickel, what I'm seeing (regrettably not on any properly good sites, just forums & LJ) is that the copper wrap used in IUDs can have different kinds of cores: Paragard allegedly has a nickel one; Nova-T has a silver one.

I am calling them now to find out dee doo dee doo watch this space

etaagain: I said I had a nickel allergy and needed to know if it was true that the Paragard had a nickel core. Lady on phone says, "Yes, there are trace amounts of nickel in the Paragard. Your health care provider can give us a call and get a sample [of the copper] sent along so that it can be tested against your skin." I will add this to the OP with the phone number for Paragard questions. She didn't say anything about the core thing.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 21, 2011

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Tigntink posted:

When I got mine put in they asked me if I had a nickel allergy. I don't, but I thought it was unusual they would ask that since it's made out of copper.

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.
Thanks for all the replies ( Dr Nutt, Fire in the Disco, Innovative Salad, Bagleworm, HelloIAmYourHeart ) about the Mirena and all other IUDS, especially about using it with a menstrual cup. I'm not opposed to buying a different cup (I was in the market for a replacement anyway - taking a look at the Lunette now) and am familiar with breaking the seal before pulling it out. If that's all it takes, that isn't much retraining. I just didn't want to have to go back to tampons, which I find incredibly drying and so wasteful.

I also appreciate the info on the strings. I will certainly be something to talk about with my partner, but thankfully he's super supportive about finding a birth control solution that works for us. My doc wasn't really able to provide an answer to that.

As for irregularity, it wouldn't bother me too much - I was on more of a 6 - 7 week irregular cycle before the pill for about 5 years. Wow...I'm getting old! I think I'd be ok with what everyone has described.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Divacup or keeper is even more comfy, IMO, but see if you like tampons first.

The only time I find the Diva Cup slightly uncomfortable...or I guess when I notice it, is when I'm running. Otherwise, best $30 I've ever spent. I recommend menstrual cups to all my friends with vags. But that's another topic for another thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Eggplant Wizard posted:

The only reason I have for that is the livejournal post I linked (which is the reference that my doctor used when I asked her...). I have the same kind of thing, where the rivets on my jeans need to have a double layer of masking tape if I don't want an itchy bumpy rash. I would rather avoid it than have it put in and find out I react to it, so I put that in there. :tinfoil: I'll add a "YMMV" sort of thing to it, make it less absolute, shall I?

eta: Okay, I've googled a bit more and it seems like (very, very rarely) some women are allergic to the copper itself, which tends to present as skin itchiness & blemishes recurring during menses. It can start either immediately after insertion or within a few months or even after a couple of years. There are some articles on PubMed. As for the nickel, what I'm seeing (regrettably not on any properly good sites, just forums & LJ) is that the copper wrap used in IUDs can have different kinds of cores: Paragard allegedly has a nickel one; Nova-T has a silver one.

I am calling them now to find out dee doo dee doo watch this space

etaagain: I said I had a nickel allergy and needed to know if it was true that the Paragard had a nickel core. Lady on phone says, "Yes, there are trace amounts of nickel in the Paragard. Your health care provider can give us a call and get a sample [of the copper] sent along so that it can be tested against your skin." I will add this to the OP with the phone number for Paragard questions. She didn't say anything about the core thing.

Huh well thanks for looking that up. I guess it is shielded enough to not effect me? Or ill never have a kid later because of the eventual scarring that will happen. Either way... what ever. I like paragard alot.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I suppose I should point out that I've had maybe 3 periods in the year since I got the Mirena, and they were all extremely light.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tigntink posted:

Huh well thanks for looking that up. I guess it is shielded enough to not effect me? Or ill never have a kid later because of the eventual scarring that will happen. Either way... what ever. I like paragard alot.

Maybe it's trace enough that it doesn't bother you v :) v If you ever get weird itching or a cyclical skin condition, though, consider it as a possible cause, I guess.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I suppose I should point out that I've had maybe 3 periods in the year since I got the Mirena, and they were all extremely light.

Badasssss this is what I am crossing my fingers for. I got mine a week ago today. Any more trip reports on periods, spotting, & general discharge on Mirena would be much appreciated.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 3 years now and despite the $40 a month I pay I swear by it. This past year I've been going a full 4 weeks on it along with skipping periods (there's enough hormone in the ring to last a full month). My doctor recommended this to me to 1. save money and 2. no periods yay! Of course if you go past the 4 weeks use a back-up method. Please ask your doctor before you do what I did. I've also recently found I need to have a period at least 4x a year or I get horrible cramps.

I'm a very forgetful person so it's easier for me to stick one day on my calendar to go to the pharmacy. It's funny when guys are like "What's that in your vagina?" and I'm all "That's my birth control now have sex with me. :smug:" Any guy I've had sex with has never felt it with intercourse, and it's really great reassurance for your partner. No "Did you take your pill questions".

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

NaturalLow posted:

I don't know if this is what you meant by needing help, but pretty much every pack of tampons I've ever bought comes with printed step by step instructions for insertion. The plastic applicators are really smooth/rounded off and at the risk of being gross, the blood kind of lubricates things. I usually use the kind with cardboard applicators and those never hurt either. It doesn't feel anything like the doctor, trust me.

If you want to take baby steps with tampons, most companies make a "slim" version aimed at teenagers that are just starting out and people who might be a bit smaller down there.

Thanks NaturalLow and fork bomb, that's actually very helpful. I'll be on the lookout for some smaller ones. Thanks to anyone else who answered before :) It's nice having an Internet lady business tech support team. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

cheese eats mouse posted:

I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 3 years now and despite the $40 a month I pay I swear by it.
Seriously check out the $15 off coupon in the OP.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 3 years now and despite the $40 a month I pay I swear by it. This past year I've been going a full 4 weeks on it along with skipping periods (there's enough hormone in the ring to last a full month). My doctor recommended this to me to 1. save money and 2. no periods yay! Of course if you go past the 4 weeks use a back-up method. Please ask your doctor before you do what I did. I've also recently found I need to have a period at least 4x a year or I get horrible cramps.

I'm a very forgetful person so it's easier for me to stick one day on my calendar to go to the pharmacy. It's funny when guys are like "What's that in your vagina?" and I'm all "That's my birth control now have sex with me. :smug:" Any guy I've had sex with has never felt it with intercourse, and it's really great reassurance for your partner. No "Did you take your pill questions".

I've known so many women who swear by the nuva ring, and it's really lovely that the pharmaceutical industry is so heinous. I know plenty of women who purchase it without going through insurance at Planned Parenthood because it's less expensive than the copay! That's loving outrageous and it's really too bad that contraceptive equity isn't a bigger issue politically.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Word. :( I wish there was a generic version or something, but Nuvaring seems like one of those cases where that just isn't going to happen.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Kerfuffle posted:

Seriously check out the $15 off coupon in the OP.

Yea I saw that. Maybe now I can get back on it since I stopped for money reasons. I wouldn't have known without you guys.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Yea I saw that. Maybe now I can get back on it since I stopped for money reasons. I wouldn't have known without you guys.

If money is an issue seriously go to PP or something, you'll get it for a lot less than $25 I'm sure.

What horrible insurance you have though, jesus. Mine is $25 with insurance and that is still entirely too much for monthly birth control.

fake edit: I have too many posts :qq:

real edit: Lie about having insurance if you go to PP, you won't get in trouble or anything, and paying $40 a pop for it you may as well not have any.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 22, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

If money is an issue seriously go to PP or something, you'll get it for a lot less than $25 I'm sure.

What horrible insurance you have though, jesus. Mine is $25 with insurance and that is still entirely too much for monthly birth control.

real edit: Lie about having insurance if you go to PP, you won't get in trouble or anything, and paying $40 a pop for it you may as well not have any.

I wish her luck. When I went to PP, they used to charge me $40 a pack for birth control pills (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) and I didn't have health insurance at the time either.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kerfuffle posted:

Word. :( I wish there was a generic version or something, but Nuvaring seems like one of those cases where that just isn't going to happen.

The problem is that rx patents are good for 20 years, and the Nuva ring came out less than ten years ago, so it'll be quite some time before there's a generic.

NaturalLow posted:

I wish her luck. When I went to PP, they used to charge me $40 a pack for birth control pills (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) and I didn't have health insurance at the time either.

Unfortunately, PP is a national organization with local affiliates, and the funding available at the local affiliates varies widely from state to state, or even within the state depending on things like the demographics your clinic serves or even whether or not that location provides abortion.

The local PP in my state can generally provide pills from 15-25 bucks a pack, and Nuva rings as low as 36 bucks depending on your monthly income (has nothing to do with whether you have insurance) but ymmv.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
So my girlfriend and I are in a long-distance relationship. We met in one country where we were together for 3 months, then we were apart for 3 months while we both went back to our own countries. I visited her for 2 months in the summer, then we were apart again, and then she visited for 2 weeks over Christmas/new year. Over this whole time (and some time before) she has been taking Yaz/Yasmin pills.

This July I will be going to live with her in her country (not purely because of her, it was actually already my plan to move out there and poo poo just worked out :) ). However, because we're apart for 6-7 months now and BC is so expensive in her country, she decided to save money and stop taking the pill.

Presumably as a consequence of stopping it, her skin has gotten much worse, especially on her face. She's not too happy about this, especially as she just got a new job. She also seems quite down generally (which sucks because I'm not *there* for her) and I'm not sure if this is just stress (from job-hunting) or if she's feeling that as an effect from the lack of pills too.

How long is this likely to last? I assume it will clear up as her hormones balance out? And when she starts taking it again in June/July before I come, I guess the same thing could happen again, right?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Kerfuffle posted:

I would go to PP if my conservative father wouldn't see the statement on his health insurance statement that I went to PP. Last time I went all hell broke loose because they kill babies or something.

Lying is probably the best. Do they honor prescriptions from other gynos?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 22, 2011

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Any more trip reports on periods, spotting, & general discharge on Mirena would be much appreciated.

Traditional TMI warning goes here.
I got my Mirena in June of 2008 and I'm pretty sure my last period comparable to a period on the pill was in July. Maybe August. So it's been a while. I LOVE it. I'm 25 now, first period before age 12, and they started getting bad around high school so I had about eight years of awful periods with cramping, nausea, various other digestive distress, mood swings, slingshotting between no appetite and voracious, ibuprofen as a food group, you name it. I used to miss college classes because I felt too awful to walk to my front door, let alone the mile to campus.

These days, I very very occasionally get minor spotting (the "oh, hey, look at that" on the toilet paper variety, occasionally using a pantyliner). Around November last year, I had heavier spotting, some cramping, and general malaise during a very stressful time. I do think the stress spike caused it or made it worse. I was worried that I was going to have periods again, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Even if it had, it was so much better than how my periods used to be that I could have lived with it.

The only other thing I can think of is that I occasionally get a cramp. I mean, one random cramp, and if it lasts one dose of ibuprofen takes care of it. I always try to breathe through it and wait and it goes away. I used to get headaches like that. It's not often, or I would worry more, but it's like my body starts cramping and then thinks better of it. I used to feel like that for three or four days straight! Also, I recall someone mentioning this in the last thread (sorry if it's in the OP and I missed it) but I also get a cramping type feeling sometimes when I have been waiting for a while to get to a restroom, but it goes away once that's taken care of. I think that's everything notable!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

I would go to PP if my conservative father wouldn't see the statement on his health insurance statement that I went to PP. Last time I went all hell broke loose because they kill babies or something.

Lying is probably the best. Do they honor prescriptions from other gynos?

If you don't use your insurance (lie and say you have none), then nothing will show up. Or tell the truth, I have it, but it's my parents and I can't use it for this, they get that all the time.

Also, what do you mean by honor them? Will they give you the same type if you tell them you've been on it in the past, yes. Will they fill it, no, as they're not a pharmacy.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

SilverSliver posted:

Oh, I've had my period since I got the IUD and holy poo poo. This isn't as horrible as that, but it's lasting longer. This started happening a week after my period ended too. Can spotting really be that heavy or is it possible that when my doctor went in to check the IUD, she caused bleeding?

Just to be clear,

I got the IUD, got my period the next day. Got my period 4 weeks later and it lasted a week. At 6 weeks later, I went to get the IUD checked and the next day the bleeding started again.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Unfortunately, PP is a national organization with local affiliates, and the funding available at the local affiliates varies widely from state to state, or even within the state depending on things like the demographics your clinic serves or even whether or not that location provides abortion.

The local PP in my state can generally provide pills from 15-25 bucks a pack, and Nuva rings as low as 36 bucks depending on your monthly income (has nothing to do with whether you have insurance) but ymmv.

Yeah, they started out at $15 a pack and then it went up to $40 after I had already started them. Luckily I didn't need the pill for contraceptive purposes at the time, since there was no way I could afford that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah, they started out at $15 a pack and then it went up to $40 after I had already started them. Luckily I didn't need the pill for contraceptive purposes at the time, since there was no way I could afford that.

What state is this in? I'm just curious because the type of funding available is so different from place to place and I'm always interested to see how things are elsewhere.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ok thanks guys! I'll call for an appointment Monday morning.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNutt posted:

What state is this in? I'm just curious because the type of funding available is so different from place to place and I'm always interested to see how things are elsewhere.

Kentucky. The clinic was based in Lexington, but ran a kind of "mini-clinic" on my college campus once every week.

Oddly enough, the state gives me free birth control now but I had to go through the county health department to get it.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Not Impressed posted:

After 7 years on the pill, I'm seriously considering the Mirena. I've never had regular periods off the pill, so I'm a little concerned about the spotting that people report for the first months. I don't want to end up having spotting for the entire duration. How have other goonettes found the Mirena to be in the spotting/periods department?

And for a semi-embarassing but important question I can't seem to get an answer to - will my partner feel the strings? Even if he's fingering?

I also use the Diva cup and my doctor didn't seem to think it was such a good idea to keep that up with an IUD because of the risk of pulling the strings out. Is anyone out there using a menstral cup with an IUD successfully? Or best to just let this practice go?

After about 4 months, my wife no longer has a period at all. She has very light spotting very irregularly, and that only lasts a day or so. And usually it's caused when she's around her incredibly stressful mother. The first few months were normal, with the intensity decreasing every month until they just went away. It was a little disconcerting at first, we get some pregnancy tests whenever I get paranoid about it :)

I can feel the strings every once in a great while, but I just adjust a little and it's not a big deal. And fingering I never do unless I'm trying to specifically check them. They're quite short and all her "good" spots aren't right next to her cervix anyways.

Also she used a Diva cup (when she still had periods) and had no problems.

showbiz_liz posted:

I hate hormonal birth control because it affects my libido. I want to try an IUD, but aside from all the usual worries, I'm curious as to whether the Mirena has been known to have the same kind of affect on libido. If so I definitely want to go for copper, but since Mirena seems to be so good otherwise, I wanted to be sure.

I haven't noticed an issue with libido at all. She still wants it 3 times a day. The hormones are a lot weaker and more directed, so I think generally Mirena has less side-effects than BC in general. Or at least that I've seen anyways.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

Oh, I've had my period since I got the IUD and holy poo poo. This isn't as horrible as that, but it's lasting longer. This started happening a week after my period ended too. Can spotting really be that heavy or is it possible that when my doctor went in to check the IUD, she caused bleeding?

Just to be clear,

I got the IUD, got my period the next day. Got my period 4 weeks later and it lasted a week. At 6 weeks later, I went to get the IUD checked and the next day the bleeding started again.

I`ve heard all kinds of stories from people by reading this thread, as well as asking questions from the doctor/nurse/nurses at my workplace and I hear the same thing again and again:
Everyone's body is different, and will adapt to the IUD in it's own odd way. Reasons for concern are 1) frequent bleeding that causes you to worry. 2) clotting that causes you to worry lasting more than one day. 3) painful intercourse. 4) abdominal pain. 5) can't feel the strings.
So long as it's not one of these 5 things the general consensus is "Wait it out 6 months, things even out around then."
You'd most likely know if problems were caused when it was checked. Think about it, you'd feel a puncture. And movement would hurt you afterwards as well. The paraguard really is very tiny, fits in the palm of your hand.
I can tell you some horror stories myself. For example the first time I had my flow was the day after it was inserted as well and Christ on a cracker I was panicky. (Freaking murder scene in my underwear.) Then there was the time I was clotting... yeah... full blown actual panic attack over that one.
I seem to have my monthly visitor every three weeks-ish myself ever since I've had it put in. As I said, everyone's different.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
Chiming in to declare my love of the Implanon. I had it inserted in 2009, after the birth of my son. No mood swings, no bloating, (I can't comment on weight gain/loss, since it was 6 weeks post partum). I occasionally get breakthrough bleeding, but that's maybe twice a year, and the flow is exceptionally light. It cost me $30, excluding the doctor's appointment. In Australia, if you have a healthcare care, it'll cost you $5 for 3 years worth of contraception. More women should be on it, it's fool-proof!

sourbugs
Nov 10, 2005
Mmm, I can't wait to eat that monkey.
OP, you posted about an injection but only mentioned one for women. Is there one for men readily available? I'm single at the moment but it's something I want to know more about for the future, as something to discuss with my next s.o. I don't really like having my cycle controlled, it just doesn't work well for me. I was on implanon but had it removed about 2 months ago. My experience was not so great. It worked first of all, it did what it's supposed to do, i'm not pregnant thank god, but side effects for me were bad cramping, periods that went of for a fortnight, and alot of aching around the implant site. Even with it removed, I get pain shooting through my arm. Never again will I use it. But like I said I don't do well with hormonal methods, the pill was the same (minus sore arm). But it was effective, and cheap too. Only $35 without a healthcare card in Australia. So some other things to consider. I'd try the pill first though if your new to this stuff.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sourbugs posted:

OP, you posted about an injection but only mentioned one for women. Is there one for men readily available? I'm single at the moment but it's something I want to know more about for the future, as something to discuss with my next s.o. I don't really like having my cycle controlled, it just doesn't work well for me. I was on implanon but had it removed about 2 months ago. My experience was not so great. It worked first of all, it did what it's supposed to do, i'm not pregnant thank god, but side effects for me were bad cramping, periods that went of for a fortnight, and alot of aching around the implant site. Even with it removed, I get pain shooting through my arm. Never again will I use it. But like I said I don't do well with hormonal methods, the pill was the same (minus sore arm). But it was effective, and cheap too. Only $35 without a healthcare card in Australia. So some other things to consider. I'd try the pill first though if your new to this stuff.

As far as I know, male birth control of any kind other than things like barrier methods and vasectomies doesn't really exist (outside of maybe some experimental stuff). I'm not an expert though, so others can chime in if I missed something.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 23, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

SilverSliver posted:

Then there was the time I was clotting... yeah... full blown actual panic attack over that one.

I'm confused by this statement. Clots in menstrual blood are completely normal. Menstrual blood contains an anti-coagulate, but in very heavy bleeds it doesn't always have time to "work" so clots can form. It can be a symptom of something else, but on its own its nothing to worry about.

E:

NaturalLow posted:

As far as I know, male birth control of any kind other than things like barrier methods and vasectomies doesn't really exist (outside of maybe some experimental stuff). I'm not an expert though, so others can chime in if I missed something.

As far as I know, at least one male birth control has shown promise for use in humans with few side effects. Wiki says it might be available for use in as little as five years. This one works by affecting sperm development in a way that keeps the little guys from swimming, and it is fully reversible. There was a whole line of research into hormonal methods for men, but they always produced undesirable side effects (yeah, we know.)

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sourbugs posted:

OP, you posted about an injection but only mentioned one for women. Is there one for men readily available?

No, NaturalLow is right. There are no male-oriented birth control methods outside of condoms, vasectomies, and pulling out. It sucks, and plenty of scientists get paid lots of money to work on it. Articles and research come out fairly frequently about possibilities, but I imagine it would take years to get through various governmental hurdles (as well it should, for safety reasons). Googling, I'm seeing a lot of articles from the past year on a hormonal implant that is being developed, but I gather it's a long way from being in pharmacies.

Maybe take a look into non-hormonal IUDs, or a diaphragm & spermicide in addition to condoms?

• Locked thread