Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I have a question about natural family planning. My husband and I are using breastfeeding as our birth control--we do want another child, so it's not as risky as it might be. That said, I was wondering whether when I do ovulate again, it will look the same as it did when I wasn't breastfeeding--okay, that sounds weird, but I read TCOYF and could previously tell when I was ovulating. Will that likely still be true, or is everything different while you're lactating? Also, does anyone know how long on average breastfeeding stops ovulation? I know that once he starts sleeping through the night it's not as reliable, but I wondered whether there are stats out there somewhere. Thanks!

I'd just like to say that this method is how I was conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Lackadaisical posted:

I'd just like to say that this method is how I was conceived.

Ahaha so was my brother. My mom had me because she didn't think she could get pregnant for months or something after she quit taking birth control. Oh mom.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know this is a birth control thread, but I have to say reading the book Sperm Wars was pretty drat good as well. Admittedly it isn't quite a scientific book, but there are some drat good points about how the body (well, female body) can go on hold when it comes to ovulation, why some couples can't conceive (ever heard of superejaculate? too many killer sperm flood the egg and the chemicals kill it. meanwhile put that ejaculate into sperm warfare and you got a winner!), and admittedly they don't cover hormonal birth control but there is a lot to be tested still. Great book regardless.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kdc67 posted:

As a heads up for anyone, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has gone up in price yet again. I picked up my prescription today, and it was $65 with Ortho's $15 off coupon, making it $80 normally. (My insurance only starts to cover it after my deductible's met.) They started off around $45 when I first started taking them 4 years ago. I'm so glad I have an appointment with my doctor soon.

That sucks :( There are generics of Orthocyclen (monophasic) and Ortho tri-cyclen (triphasic like what you're on, but perhaps more hormones) available, and I know they're in the Target/Walmart $9 category. They might be worth trying if you aren't going to go another route.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Scurvy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 12, 2017

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

DRP Solved! posted:

Can you be a bit more descriptive in what you mean by how you can see when you're ovulating? Do you mean with changes in vaginal mucus consistency?

That method is most effective (but not perfect) during the first 6 months if:
- you're feeding your baby exclusively from breastfeeding;
- the time between feedings is no more than 4 hours during the day and no more than 6 hours at night;
- you feed your baby whenever he/she is hungry.

If those three points aren't met then there's no guarantee that it's preventing ovulation. Also keep in mind that you'll ovulate and thus be fertile before you get your first period, not after.

Even if you do follow these guidelines, it doesn't always work. I would recommend using an additional form form of birth control. My sister thought breastfeeding would be all she needed after her first child, and she was pregnant again within three months.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Scurvy posted:

Should I just resign myself to taking Mircette forever, or should I look into finding a new doctor?

If the pill works so well for you, why do you really want to switch? You'll have to readjust to a new type (and the implant takes longer than the standard three months to get used to) and you may have side effects (not to mention lack of period regulation). It costs a lot to insert if you don't go to PP, and if you have side effects you will have to have it removed. Also, going back on a bc after trying something else doesn't always result in the same (lack of) side effects.

If you're really sure you want to, you can. Go to a PP or another doctor if yours won't give it to you. But you already have a type that works so well, and you've been on it so long, there really is no reason for you to swap.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Scurvy posted:

Should I just resign myself to taking Mircette forever, or should I look into finding a new doctor?

This should be your choice. If your doctor refuses to allow you to change BC and won't give you a valid medical reason, then you should seek a doctor who's not going to patronize you.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That sucks :( There are generics of Orthocyclen (monophasic) and Ortho tri-cyclen (triphasic like what you're on, but perhaps more hormones) available, and I know they're in the Target/Walmart $9 category. They might be worth trying if you aren't going to go another route.

Yeah, we'll see what my doctor says. Regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen contains 0.01mg more of estrogen than the Lo, but evidently it's still considered a low dose pill. Sucks when you like what you're on, but unless my doctors are going to give me endless months of samples and they're going to lower the price eventually, something has to be done. It'll be futile, but I'll definitely call the company directly to complain.

Scurvy posted:

However, she's always been dismissive and tells me that my current form of BC works fine, and so there's no need to switch. I told her why I wanted it (convenience, not to mention lower chance of human error), and she says, "that's not a good enough reason to switch."

This is absolutely not ok for a doctor to be doing. She should be having a discussion with you about the pros and cons instead of, "Well I say you're fine so that's it".

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with this since I am kind of too dumb to work through it myself.

In a couple weeks I'll be going to study abroad in China and I am wondering how to properly move my pill-taking (loestrin 24 fe) schedule. (I know there's an FAQ about time-zones but considering how different they are I was wondering if someone can help me out.)

Currently I take my pill at 12pm every day. China is 13 hours ahead so obviously taking the pill at 1am there is not going to work out. Anyway I leave at around 10am for China and get there at 3pm their time (technically the next day) so I am wondering when I should take the pill (while flying? when I get there?) and how to smoothly move it over to 12pm there without losing effectiveness (because, uhh, my boyfriend will be there too and we will probably gently caress, so that would be bad).

Hopefully that made sense and someone who is good with time and numbers and stuff can help me out. Thanks in advance. :ohdear:

e: oh and I am currently in EST if that helps any

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Well, if you're not going for a couple of weeks, you can gradually move your pill taking time backward so it's earlier in China time. Like, take it a half hour early for a couple days, then an hour, and so on. Might be a good idea to use a condom during this time. If you're going to have a period/placebo week before you go to China, that's a great chance: on the first day of your next pill pack, just take it at an earlier time (Maybe 8am? 9am? -> 9-10pm China time?).

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Any ladies here have migraines with auras?

I just got my Paragard taken out because of ridiculous cramping over the past 3 months. It was great in theory (no hormones and no garbage) but the cramps were getting to be too much for me. My dr. said that I have to be careful of hormones due to the auras. Apparently it ups your risk of stroke considerably.

I am at a loss over what to use that doesn't involve condoms, spermicide or is going to give me a stroke...

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Cracker Jack posted:

I just got my Paragard taken out because of ridiculous cramping over the past 3 months. It was great in theory (no hormones and no garbage) but the cramps were getting to be too much for me. My dr. said that I have to be careful of hormones due to the auras. Apparently it ups your risk of stroke considerably.

I am at a loss over what to use that doesn't involve condoms, spermicide or is going to give me a stroke...

You can use any birth control that doesn't contain estrogen, so that now essentially leaves you with: Depo, Mirena, Implanon, and progestin-only pills, which all contain one form of another of a progestin.

The diaphragm, sponge, etc are also available to you (depending on where you live), but I would recommend these only as a last resort since they aren't as effective as hormonal birth control.

Also, don't use spermicides, they're irritating and don't increase the effectiveness of condoms.

Clocks posted:

Headin' to China.

What Eggplant Wizard said, except you don't need to be as gradual. Take the pill an hour or two earlier/later each day until you've reached a new time that'll work for you in China. Voila!

Like Eggplant Wizard said, it's even easier if you get your placebo week before heading over there since you can just immediately just start week 1 at the new time.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oops... my placebo week was last week and I'm on day 4 of week one this month. In any case if moving my time an hour or so each day will still keep it effective then I will go for that. I'm pretty much perfect use otherwise thanks to cellphone alarms and all that and the most I've ever missed by is maybe 15 minutes.

I'm leaving in a bit under two weeks (12 days?) so I could just move it an hour forward each day until I hit 11pm maybe? That would translate to 12pm once I'm in China. I'll start moving the time on this tomorrow then. Thanks for the advice. :)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Cracker Jack posted:

You can use any progestin-only method, it's the estrogen that increases the risk of stroke, on top of an increased risk from the migraine with aura. I don't know what the physiological difference is between migraines with aura and those without, though.

I always had migraines with aura when I was a kid and through high school [they've stopped now; I don't know why though] and my doctor at one point put me on COCs and I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Scurvy posted:

I'm currently on Mircette (or its generic), and have been for at least 6 years. For the past two years, I've been bugging my gyno about Implanon, because the idea of not having to be a slave to pills every day really appeals to me. However, she's always been dismissive and tells me that my current form of BC works fine, and so there's no need to switch. I told her why I wanted it (convenience, not to mention lower chance of human error), and she says, "that's not a good enough reason to switch."

I don't know, this isn't an acceptable answer for me. If there was a medical reason to keep me on Mircette, I'd be fine with it. Is there something I'm missing? I'm perfectly healthy otherwise, I'm not overweight, my period has always been regular and light. I'm fairly certain my insurance would cover at least some of the cost, too.

Yeah, that's a bullshit attitude. She at least has to explain why instead of saying "nope, I won't let you." Convenience is a totally legit reason to try it, especially if you think you can handle the side effects.

I would bet that she isn't approved to insert Implanon (you have to go to a training session) but she doesn't want to lose your business. I would find a new doctor just because she's so dismissive and it doesn't sound like she really has your best interests at heart.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Scurvy posted:

I'm currently on Mircette (or its generic), and have been for at least 6 years. For the past two years, I've been bugging my gyno about Implanon, because the idea of not having to be a slave to pills every day really appeals to me. However, she's always been dismissive and tells me that my current form of BC works fine, and so there's no need to switch. I told her why I wanted it (convenience, not to mention lower chance of human error), and she says, "that's not a good enough reason to switch."

I don't know, this isn't an acceptable answer for me. If there was a medical reason to keep me on Mircette, I'd be fine with it. Is there something I'm missing? I'm perfectly healthy otherwise, I'm not overweight, my period has always been regular and light. I'm fairly certain my insurance would cover at least some of the cost, too.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

You'll have to readjust to a new type (and the implant takes longer than the standard three months to get used to) and you may have side effects (not to mention lack of period regulation). It costs a lot to insert if you don't go to PP, and if you have side effects you will have to have it removed.

It didn't take me longer than 3 months to get used to Implanon, it took me about 2 days to get used to it. The day after insertion I had a general feeling of malaise (mild flu-like symptoms) but I was fine the day after that. My arm was sore at the insertion site for a couple of weeks (bruising, etc). After the first couple of weeks, when your arm stops hurting, you forget it's even there.

Reformed Tomboy is correct in the fact that Implanon does not regulate your period. I've had two episodes of prolonged ragging (3+ weeks) in the four years that I've used Implanon and my schedule is not clockwork regular. However, the awesome coverage plus the generally regular (monthly and duration wise) schedule has made Implanon totally worth it.

Implanon does cost a lot if you don't get it subsidized by insurance/Planned Parenthood/etc, but there are avenues out there available to you. The removal process is a piece of cake: they numb up your arm, make a small incision and pull it out. I got my first Implanon removed and my second put in during the same appointment and the procedures only took about 10 minutes combined.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, that's a bullshit attitude. She at least has to explain why instead of saying "nope, I won't let you." Convenience is a totally legit reason to try it, especially if you think you can handle the side effects.

I would bet that she isn't approved to insert Implanon (you have to go to a training session) but she doesn't want to lose your business. I would find a new doctor just because she's so dismissive and it doesn't sound like she really has your best interests at heart.

Agreed that this is a bullshit attitude. Most health care professionals are so happy to be preventing pregnancy that they won't hassle you about switching unless there's a serious medical reason for objecting. Since your doctor didn't give you a reason (which would be the first objection she made), I believe Anne Whateley is right about the fact that your doctor is probably not trained in Implanon insertion/removal. There were only two doctors trained at my huge Kaiser Women's Health center.

Look around Scurvy. There are professionals out there who are both trained for Implanon and who act like an adult.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

So after being on BC pills for almost a decade, I got the paragard inserted a little over two months ago.

I'm remembering what cramps feel like. Help. I have class, work and dates to get to.

I can't keep popping vicodin and they don't seem to make those heating pads that stick to your undies anymore....

Also, a bit of e/n advice: don't go through the pain of getting an IUD inserted if your relationship isn't going to last another 2 weeks. It makes getting cramps again SO much worse.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Cracker Jack posted:

Yup! Dittoing what everyone else said, it's the estrogen in some birth control methods that quadruple(!) your chances of a fatal brain stroke. It really limited my choices when it came time to pick a method.

Types of birth control I've used to date:

Depo Provera: Used this for just shy of four years, in part because I had extremely heavy periods at the time. Within the first six months I gained about thirty pounds and completely stopped having a period, and my libido shrank into nothing. Getting the shot is easy and gave me nothing more than a sore arm for a few days, but making appointments and getting to them was a pain and greatly contributed to my switching methods. Some mild mood effects but nothing extreme, beyond being disinterested in sex and unable to orgasm, which looking back now was rather lovely. I still haven't lost that weight. :\

Ortho Evra: Was on these for about nine months. Didn't notice any weight gain, but having switched to the patches from the Depo, my libido started coming back after a few months along with my (light) period. Found out from another doctor that these come with the increased risk of fatal brain strokes in women with migraines due to the estrogen while trying to get a refill from another doctor. The original doctor knew I had migraines with aura so I have no idea why she recommended patches in the first place. The worst part of these has to be the gross grey fuzzy goo that accumulates around the edge of the patch from the adhesive. It's really unsightly and a pain to get off. There's also an increased risk of ectopic pregnancies and flat-out failure of the patch to work in women who are above a certain weight, and I was around 180 so I switched.

Implanon: Getting it in with local anesthetic wasn't bad at all, but I had an impressively large black bruise on my arm where she had some trouble getting it positioned correctly with the needle. The doctor impressed upon me that if I had ever had suicidal thoughts or depression that I should not get this method and I quickly found out why: during the first month I turned into a complete basket case. Despite going into it pretty mentally healthy, after getting it in I would cry at the smallest provocation or at nothing at all and I would have errant thoughts about killing myself, how bad life was and how it would never get better. The entire time I had a little fortress of sanity and reason that knew these thoughts were completely irrational and crazy, but there was nothing I could do to stop it. Around the third or fourth week, it was like someone flipped a switch and I snapped out of it completely and never had another problem. Periods were light and irregular, and my libido was better than it had ever been; I finally had a drat orgasm for the first time in five years. Getting it extracted was a pain because it had partially fused with the flesh in my arm and I have an obvious scar where the doctor was wrestling with it to pry it out. Probably the worst side effects of any birth control I've ever been on, but the worst of it only lasted about a month, so it wasn't too bad.

Mirena: Had this put in on the same day I had my Implanon extracted because I wanted a method that would last quite awhile, didn't want to go through Implanon-induced psychosis again and my insurance covered the entire cost. I have an especially sensitive cervix and the pain of insertion was unspeakably horrific and probably second only to the feeling of one of my molars getting infected and turning necrotic. The cramping that followed made me curl up in a ball and whimper pathetically for two days. Once the deluge of blood from having my cervix violated dried up, though, my periods pretty much stopped save for occasional spotting and I felt better than ever. For the first few months, I produced copious amounts of really goopy mucus (I needed to use pantyliners) but that tapered off quite a bit. Sex is now awesome. FWIW, I hear that the risk from STI's is severely overstated and only a serious thing when you first get it put in. I've never had one, but that was good to know.

I'd be glad to answer questions about my personal experiences with these but I'm sure there's not much else to know. I hope my silly anecdotes help someone.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't have any questions about birth control, I just wanted to say this thread title made me laugh out loud and now I have cherry juice all over my monitor. Jerks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Lackadaisical posted:

I can't keep popping vicodin and they don't seem to make those heating pads that stick to your undies anymore....

Where are you located? I usually have to deal with getting the Thermacare pads that are made for the neck/shoulders, they still [kinda] fit, just a little wider and they're only sticky on the ends, but it's worth it for the cramp relief.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
When first starting a birth control pill, is it normal to get your period at times other than the placebo week? I've been on Cyclessa for two weeks now. I had some spotting after four days of it and two days ago my period started. Is this nothing to worry about as long as it's not heavy bleeding?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I didn't start taking it at the end of my last period.

Namirsolo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 2, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Namirsolo posted:

When first starting a birth control pill, is it normal to get your period at times other than the placebo week? I've been on Cyclessa for two weeks now. I had some spotting after four days of it and two days ago my period started. Is this nothing to worry about as long as it's not heavy bleeding?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I didn't start taking it at the end of my last period.

Within the first three months, weirdnesses like that are pretty common. Given that you didn't start at the end of your last period (so you had less time on your body's clock till the next one, perhaps), and that it's only been 2 weeks, I really wouldn't worry about having a period now. Just keep taking your pills on time and I guess keep a couple pantyliners in your purse :\

Speaking of surprise periods, I appear to be getting one about a week earlier than expected. I just switched from orthocyclen to Mirena, so I'm not really that concerned... Still, :argh:

Reene posted:

Mirena: Had this put in on the same day I had my Implanon extracted because I wanted a method that would last quite awhile, didn't want to go through Implanon-induced psychosis again and my insurance covered the entire cost. I have an especially sensitive cervix and the pain of insertion was unspeakably horrific and probably second only to the feeling of one of my molars getting infected and turning necrotic. The cramping that followed made me curl up in a ball and whimper pathetically for two days. Once the deluge of blood from having my cervix violated dried up, though, my periods pretty much stopped save for occasional spotting and I felt better than ever.

Thanks for your testimonials. I'm quoting this one since I didn't provide much of a testimonial on my own insertion, and it was a lot less bad, so I want to provide it for comparison. I have a retroverted/tipped uterus (this was no problem, but I was worried it would be beforehand). I got my Mirena at the tail end of my period, and the insertion was pretty unpleasant. The doctor warned me there would be three cramps: one when she probed my cervix or put iodine on it or something; one when she probed my uterus to see if it was deep enough, and one when the Mirena actually went in. They were sort of escalating in unpleasantness, but even at worst it wasn't unbearable... It was sort of a :wth: cramp, maybe a little sharper than they are usually for me. I sure didn't like it and would prefer not to do it again any time soon, but it was fairly short in duration. Afterward for about 2 days it felt like I had bad cramps (for me, again, so probably nothing compared to some of your all's normal cramps!). Even at the worst though, besides the insertion of the Mirena itself, it was never worse than some of the gas I've had in my life :\ A heating pad really helped, and as long as I kept popping ibuprofen I was able to function.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't have any questions about birth control, I just wanted to say this thread title made me laugh out loud and now I have cherry juice all over my monitor. Jerks.

:haw: Glad you enjoyed it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question, and I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, there's a lot 'o stuff here.

Has any lady successfully gotten sterilized without already having kids or a condition that would warrant it?

I Do. Not. Want. Babies. Ever. I'm nearly 30, I think I'm old enough to have made up my mind on that. I'm tired of taking the pill and worried it won't always work since I'm overweight (another topic). I want a tubal ligation but every doctor/gyno I've asked won't give me one. The most prevalent reason is because I don't already have kids (I know, you idiot doctor, I don't want any!)

I am not in a position financially to have one done right now, but any info on what to say, how to ask, etc that would actually result in me getting one would be awesome.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Geolicious posted:

Has any lady successfully gotten sterilized without already having kids or a condition that would warrant it?

I think the answer to this is most likely not. Since it is not reversible, doctors are probably terrified of being sued if the person they do it to decides they want kids after all. I think it's really stupid and that they should respect your wishes, but I doubt that you would find a doctor who will do it for you. It's too bad we don't have an equivalent of vasectomies (out patient surgery and reversible).

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I have a question, and I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, there's a lot 'o stuff here.

I Do. Not. Want. Babies. Ever. I'm nearly 30, I think I'm old enough to have made up my mind on that. I'm tired of taking the pill and worried it won't always work since I'm overweight (another topic). I want a tubal ligation but every doctor/gyno I've asked won't give me one. The most prevalent reason is because I don't already have kids (I know, you idiot doctor, I don't want any!)

I am not in a position financially to have one done right now, but any info on what to say, how to ask, etc that would actually result in me getting one would be awesome.

Have you considered an IUD? Doctors are more likely to be comfortable inserting a copper IUD, which gives you a good 10-12 baby-free years with similar efficacy to sterilization.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
And it doesn't matter when I tell them if I *do* decide to have kids, I thoroughly plan to adopt, and this is whether I'm sterilized or not. I'm all for reproductive choice. Why isn't sterilization a choice for all women? Grrrr.

I've also had trouble getting doctors to agree to giving me an IUD since I have no kids. Is this common, too, or just the area I'm from? I know there are some ladies who have IUDs and have no kids. But I've been turned down for copper and Mirena. I understand there are some higher risks with those things if you DON'T already have kids, but enough to warrant a flat out no?

DRP Solved! posted:

Have you considered an IUD? Doctors are more likely to be comfortable inserting a copper IUD, which gives you a good 10-12 baby-free years with similar efficacy to sterilization.

You beat me! I've been turned down for IUDs in the past, including copper. I have no idea if it's common to turn down someone with no kids for one or if it's just the insane conservative areas in which I have lived. I've already broken the mold by going to college and not getting married and not having a gaggle of kids by 24....

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 2, 2011

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Planned parenthood? They gave me one at 22/no kids without a second thought.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Jack posted:

I'm going to try them. I've never dealt with them, always had my own gyno, but they obviously seem willing to help with the B/C. Maybe they even know someone who would give the tubal ligation.

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost? I'm thinking one upfront payment has still got to be cheaper than 30 bucks a month for the pill. I lost my health insurance, though, but isn't PP pretty affordable for most stuff?

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
My paragard was free. I had no insurance and was unemployed at the time. I believe most work on a sliding scale and you only pay what they decide you can afford.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Lackadaisical posted:

So after being on BC pills for almost a decade, I got the paragard inserted a little over two months ago.

I'm remembering what cramps feel like. Help. I have class, work and dates to get to.

Also, a bit of e/n advice: don't go through the pain of getting an IUD inserted if your relationship isn't going to last another 2 weeks. It makes getting cramps again SO much worse.

Sorry to hear about your relationship; the same thing happened to me except I was the one who ended it. My cramps haven't been so bad, so at least that's something. Are yours absolutely so bad you have to use vicodin, or would a higher dosage of ibuprofen work? Though that has its own risks. The Thermacare pads ilysespieces might work, or you could try something like IcyHot if you don't mind smelling like menthol half the day.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Jack posted:

My paragard was free. I had no insurance and was unemployed at the time. I believe most work on a sliding scale and you only pay what they decide you can afford.

Good to know. I am also jobless and uninsured, but I have been in a long term stable relationship for the last 6 and half years. Hopefully they can help me out!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Geolicious posted:

Good to know. I am also jobless and uninsured, but I have been in a long term stable relationship for the last 6 and half years. Hopefully they can help me out!

Oh, Paragard also has a program in place for people who can't afford it, assuming you meet the qualifications. Here's a link to the brochure describing it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Namirsolo posted:

It's too bad we don't have an equivalent of vasectomies (out patient surgery and reversible).

Essure is this pretty much except all your stuff still works.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Spider Chipmunk posted:

Sorry to hear about your relationship; the same thing happened to me except I was the one who ended it. My cramps haven't been so bad, so at least that's something. Are yours absolutely so bad you have to use vicodin, or would a higher dosage of ibuprofen work? Though that has its own risks. The Thermacare pads ilysespieces might work, or you could try something like IcyHot if you don't mind smelling like menthol half the day.

I probably don't NEED vicodin but I'm a large wimp. This is a different kind of pain. I'm used to the dull, ache-y abdominal pain, but now I'm dealing with a shooting, sharp pain thats.. lower.

Is it normal to get a different kind of cramps? Also, is there a reason they stopped making the thermacare heating pads for undies? I would go the icyhot route but I don't want to be in a classroom of 400 people and have people trying to figure out where the smell is coming from...

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?

Cracker Jack posted:

Seconded. They'll give you one (they did ask questions about new partners within the last three months... I don't if answering 'yes' would result in no IUD.)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

lou reed posted:

Seconded. They'll give you one (they did ask questions about new partners within the last three months... I don't if answering 'yes' would result in no IUD.)

They would probably make you wait. It's an STD concern; getting an IUD inserted into your uterus can introduce bacteria from your vagina and you can get serious and potentially fatal infections. Literature I've read is a little divided on whether or not there's additional risks associated with STDs after you've already had it put in, but it primarily seems to be an insertion issue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lou reed posted:

At the PP affiliate in my state, it's standard procedure to screen for gonorrhea and chlamydia prior to inserting an IUD for the reasons stated by Reene, but it takes two or three days to get those results tops. As always, depending on where you are, ymmv.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
At the PP where I work, we just screen everyone for chlamydia and gonorrhea, no questions asked about sexual history or partners at all. And we insert the IUD prior to getting the results - they just need to be treated immediately if anything comes back positive, they don't need the IUD removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
I'm going on about five months of continuous bleeding (not spotting, this is like a normal period that just never stops) since starting hormonal birth control, and when I went into PP for my checkup, the doctor said ibuprofen is supposed to help in reducing or stopping the flow, but she didn't tell me how much to take. Does anyone know the recommended dosage? I took 200mg and then 400mg and it didn't seem to work...

• Locked thread