Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
The dose for vaginal stuff (bleeding, period cramps) is 800 mg three times a day, though that's probably not very sustainable for you if the pain is continuous. What birth control are you on? Have you discussed with your doctor about switching to a different pill/method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I got my Mirena IUD inserted on Tuesday and it was so painful! The cramping is mostly gone now but I have felt really bloated ever since then. I know it is listed as a common side effect, but I am wondering if I can expect it to go away on its own soon or if there is something I can do about it? It's very uncomfortable and all my clothes (that used to feel loose) are tight. I've been on various pills in the past (Apri, Levora, Microgestin) and haven't had this bloating problem before.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Pip pip pip posted:

I got my Mirena IUD inserted on Tuesday and it was so painful! The cramping is mostly gone now but I have felt really bloated ever since then. I know it is listed as a common side effect, but I am wondering if I can expect it to go away on its own soon or if there is something I can do about it? It's very uncomfortable and all my clothes (that used to feel loose) are tight. I've been on various pills in the past (Apri, Levora, Microgestin) and haven't had this bloating problem before.

Your womb is unhappy and complaining. All you can do is take ibuprofen, relax, and get your mind off of it. (Good book, favourite person to talk to, movie time...)
Some on here have said heating pads help, and I loved my hot water bottle the first few periods.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Got Mirena um ~2 weeks ago, after years of being on oral BC with clockwork periods. I started having a period (a week early) on perhaps Monday, with it being definitely more than just breakthrough bleeding on Wednesday. Wednesday through today I have been feeling nauseated :( Is nausea something that comes with periods, or perhaps specifically with progestin? I have never had an issue before so :( If it's period-based, maybe it will stop when/if my periods get smaller and go away?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
This is kind of awkward but I'm on my period after getting the paragard. There's swelling... Should I be worried?

vvv No, not abdomen. Um, it's a little further south. And only on one side...

Lackadaisical fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 6, 2011

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

This is kind of awkward but I'm on my period after getting the paragard. There's swelling... Should I be worried?

Swelling in your abdomen I assume? Sounds pretty normal to me. This is your first period after getting your IUD and I tell you right now it's gonna be a *doozy*. Ibuprofen is your friend, not only helps with cramps but slows the flow as well. (Don't flip out, but your flow is going to be shockingly heavy at some point.)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Lackadaisical posted:

Does it hurt?

I'd call your ob-gyn and ask about it, but if you do not feel like an alien is about to burst out of your chest uterus it is probably not a perforation or anything, I'd think. Still, better to get a doctor's opinion. And be sure to be more specific than "southern swelling" with him/her! ;)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Lackadaisical posted:

Does this mean labial swelling?

That's an odd side effect I've never heard of. You don't have a copper or nickel allergy, do you? It could possibly be contact irritation if you're wearing pads or liners. I would contact your doctor or pharmacist - I doubt it's anything serious, but I can't imagine it's pleasant.

----

Aurgh, ladies, I'm getting annoyed. After every period now it seems like I get a yeast infection. I know this is the BC megathread, but lots of women read this and I was wondering if any of you know what I can do to prevent it? I've tried changing or eliminating all the usual culprits - soap, scented pads/liners, tampons, diva cup - but to no avail. If I went to the doctor is there a pill or cream or something I could get to keep it at bay?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Eat a lot of yogurt? v:shobon:v

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

Bagleworm posted:

Aurgh, ladies, I'm getting annoyed. After every period now it seems like I get a yeast infection. I know this is the BC megathread, but lots of women read this and I was wondering if any of you know what I can do to prevent it? I've tried changing or eliminating all the usual culprits - soap, scented pads/liners, tampons, diva cup - but to no avail. If I went to the doctor is there a pill or cream or something I could get to keep it at bay?
I had something like this last year. Get a baby medicine eyedropper and a cup of plain yogurt. Make sure it has lactobacillus acidophilus, since this is the lovely bacteria that takes care of everything. Insert a dropperful into your vagina before bedtime, and put a pantiliner on so you don't wake up with yogurt all over your pants. Alternatively, you could also dip a tampon into the yogurt and insert like normal then throw it away in the morning, but the other method is cheaper and less wasteful. This worked wonderfully for me after about five days, but I also ate yogurt with my breakfast in the morning. (Edit: Also forgot about acidophilus pills, you can either take them by mouth or insert them up there... I just took two in the morning with my breakfast. They're a good preventative measure.)

I have a small question myself. I'm on Loestrin and almost always take my pill on time, however I somehow missed a pill about three weeks ago and was a day off. When I realized that I was taking the previous day's pill sometime later that week, I took two that day. But the damage was done and I started spotting since I usually stack my pills to avoid periods. I usually don't have spotting from that, but missing a pill after about 3+ months of stacking has kept me spotting for three weeks now. :ohdear: Should I go to the doctor? I've only had this happen once before, the only other time I've missed a pill, and it stopped after a week or so.

Death Bear fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 7, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Part-Time Robot posted:

Yogurt in the cooch

I wouldn't recommend doing this as clinical trials have shown that this does not help prevent yeast infections.

Bagleworm, how many yeast infections have you gotten in a row up to this point, and how have you been treating them?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does it hurt?

I'd call your ob-gyn and ask about it, but if you do not feel like an alien is about to burst out of your chest uterus it is probably not a perforation or anything, I'd think. Still, better to get a doctor's opinion. And be sure to be more specific than "southern swelling" with him/her! ;)

Definitely hurts but not in an alien about to pop out way...

And oh god, if I can't actually say it on the internet to strangers, how am I supposed to talk about it to the receptionist when they ask why I need an appointment?!

Bagleworm posted:

Does this mean labial swelling?

That's an odd side effect I've never heard of. You don't have a copper or nickel allergy, do you? It could possibly be contact irritation if you're wearing pads or liners. I would contact your doctor or pharmacist - I doubt it's anything serious, but I can't imagine it's pleasant.

Bingo.

And no allergies that I know of. If it is just contact irritation, is there anything I can do to help make it not hurt and help with the swelling?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Lackadaisical posted:

And oh god, if I can't actually say it on the internet to strangers, how am I supposed to talk about it to the receptionist when they ask why I need an appointment?!

Be a big girl?

Bagleworm: What have you been doing to get rid of the infection? If you use like the 3 day cream, it isn't actually likely to get all of it. When that happened to me I finally went to the health center and they prescribed me a pill thing, and said that in future it's better to just get the 7 day cream or the prescription pill.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

DRP Solved! posted:

I wouldn't recommend doing this as clinical trials have shown that this does not help prevent yeast infections.
Oh, I missed the yeast infection part. :saddowns: It helped great with uncomfortable itchiness, but definitely something stronger is needed for yeast infections.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Be a big girl?

Bagleworm: What have you been doing to get rid of the infection? If you use like the 3 day cream, it isn't actually likely to get all of it. When that happened to me I finally went to the health center and they prescribed me a pill thing, and said that in future it's better to just get the 7 day cream or the prescription pill.

Ah yes, you would be looking for Diflucan 150mg (generic is fluconazole 150mg).

Which, if you are in Canada, is no longer a prescription drug as of March 2010. If you are in Canada, you want to go to your family planning section (along with the rest of your yeast infection treatments) and look for CanesOral. If it's not there, then check at the pharmacy counter. Customers have been punching the capsules out and leaving empty boxes behind, so we keep ours stashed behind the counter.

You will also be paying a little over 20$ for the capsule alone, or around 24$ for the capsule and some clotrimazole cream.

rainbow kittens fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 7, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
It starts up about halfway through my period, every period for about the past 6 months. (It was only last month that I put it together that it probably wasn't just normal vaginal irritation.)

Minor itching, painful sex, unusual discharge, slightly wrong smell - not rancid, just not normal - and.. I don't know how to describe it, but it's like dry, peeling skin? Very textbook symptoms. This has been throwing me off though - it always comes with itchy, raised bumps (that aren't herpies or any other STD; I've been tested)

I've tried all the usual stuff to prevent it, short of prescription treatments and yogurt. Twice I've gone "yup, it's a yeast infection" and treated it with OTC 3-day treatment (with both cream and vaginal suppository. Also used cream on the boyfriend) and it cleared right up. But I read that yeast infections can be triggered by menstruation or hormonal changes, which would explain why it happens every month.

I think at this point I'll have to see my doctor about it. It sounds like there's some prescription stuff available that might be more potent. I guess I wanted to make sure I could go to the doctor saying I've tried everything :P

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bagleworm posted:

Twice I've gone "yup, it's a yeast infection" and treated it with OTC 3-day treatment (with both cream and vaginal suppository. Also used cream on the boyfriend) and it cleared right up.

Yup, same thing happened with me. Cleared it right up, then it was back the next month like clockwork. Get the Diflucan (ty rainbow kittens, that is what I was thinking of!) and your problems will be over. Your boyfriend should maybe take it too in case he is reintroducing it to you.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
Okay, question. I've got an appointment for Wednesday with my friendly neighborhood Planned Parenthood to start birth control for the very first time, because I'm in a relationship and we both like sex a lot and both hate condoms even more. Will starting the pill in the middle of my cycle throw my period off? It would be awesome if it did, because I'm due to start the day after the boy gets here to visit for the first time in three months, but this might be wishful thinking.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

ann disaster posted:

Okay, question. I've got an appointment for Wednesday with my friendly neighborhood Planned Parenthood to start birth control for the very first time, because I'm in a relationship and we both like sex a lot and both hate condoms even more. Will starting the pill in the middle of my cycle throw my period off? It would be awesome if it did, because I'm due to start the day after the boy gets here to visit for the first time in three months, but this might be wishful thinking.

I started my first pack about a week and a half before I was due to get my next period and I ended up spotting for a bit around the time I would have had my normal non-pill period and then getting another light one when it was my no-pill week. The next couple of months I went from spotting to a light period to no period at all then a week and a half long period the next month. I think it's finally starting to even itself out (I started back in the beginning of October). I'm sure it will vary from person to person, depending on how your body reacts to the hormones, though, so this is all anecdotal.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I'm asking this question for my sister who doesn't have an account here. Her period is about a month late after being fairly regular. She's taken pregnancy tests, all negative and a friend told her there is a pill she can take to induce her period. Is this for real? And she's going to Planned Parenthood tomorrow to get this checked out and to find out about going on the pill. Will that induce her period? Would it be safe to start taking mid-weird-cycle that she's having?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

JustinMorgan posted:

I'm asking this question for my sister who doesn't have an account here. Her period is about a month late after being fairly regular. She's taken pregnancy tests, all negative and a friend told her there is a pill she can take to induce her period. Is this for real? And she's going to Planned Parenthood tomorrow to get this checked out and to find out about going on the pill. Will that induce her period? Would it be safe to start taking mid-weird-cycle that she's having?

I have no idea whether there is such a pill, but if her period has decided to stop coming for no apparent reason, she should see a gyno and make sure something isn't wrong. I would hope that at PP they will examine her before prescribing anything...

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I have no idea whether there is such a pill, but if her period has decided to stop coming for no apparent reason, she should see a gyno and make sure something isn't wrong. I would hope that at PP they will examine her before prescribing anything...

It's basically just a high dose hormonal pill - the idea is you take hormones for a couple days and then stop, initiating a withdrawal bleed. It's sometimes used to try to pinpoint the problem causing a missed period. I think they sometimes literally prescribe normal BC for a short time and then tell you to go off it.

One missed period is generally just a fluke, but it's definitely a good idea to get it checked out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

JustinMorgan posted:

Missing one period isn't really something to panic over and I don't really see what good artificially inducing one would do. Inducing a period wouldn't really have any health benefits beyond maybe some psychological thing.

It wouldn't hurt to get checked out by a doctor (and maybe make absolutely sure she's not pregnant), but I don't think there's really any need to worry unless she starts skipping multiple menstrual cycles in a row or things get really weird/irregular. Then you know something really is up.

Hormones are weird and sometimes periods just don't happen occasionally. And the more someone stresses about it, the worse it gets usually. (Yes, I know this is all easier said than done, I've had a scare or two myself)

artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010
So I've been on an oral contraceptive (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo) for just over a year now. I was prescribed it for a) hormonal acne and b) exacerbated-by-womanly-hormones anxiety/depression. Results have been great with the former, all right with the latter.

It has, however, murdered my sex drive. This is problematic now that I am in a long-term, monogamous relationship. I miss orgasms something fierce. :smith:

I'm not really sure what my other options for contraceptives are, though, insofar as I have multiple 'needs' to deal with. I'd like to not have a face full of acne again as a 23 year old, for one, which sort of prevents me from going 'welp, see ya' to hormone-based BC. I also do not want to subject myself to a massive dose of hormones that come with methods like Depo-Provera, as my mental health is in no way capable of dealing with those sorts of mood swings/sensitivities. (Also, that probably wouldn't solve the sex drive issue.) I've looked at IUD methods, but as I have a history of metal allergies (any nickel whatsoever = rash that lasts until the end of time), I'm leery about them, too.

Basically: is there a magical BC method that would give me back my sex drive, have no ill effect on my mental health, leave me allergic reaction-free and also acne-less? I have this sinking feeling that something's going to have to suffer no matter what I opt for... help?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

artless barbarian posted:

So I've been on an oral contraceptive (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo) for just over a year now. I was prescribed it for a) hormonal acne and b) exacerbated-by-womanly-hormones anxiety/depression. Results have been great with the former, all right with the latter.

It has, however, murdered my sex drive. This is problematic now that I am in a long-term, monogamous relationship. I miss orgasms something fierce. :smith:

I'm not really sure what my other options for contraceptives are, though, insofar as I have multiple 'needs' to deal with. I'd like to not have a face full of acne again as a 23 year old, for one, which sort of prevents me from going 'welp, see ya' to hormone-based BC. I also do not want to subject myself to a massive dose of hormones that come with methods like Depo-Provera, as my mental health is in no way capable of dealing with those sorts of mood swings/sensitivities. (Also, that probably wouldn't solve the sex drive issue.) I've looked at IUD methods, but as I have a history of metal allergies (any nickel whatsoever = rash that lasts until the end of time), I'm leery about them, too.

Basically: is there a magical BC method that would give me back my sex drive, have no ill effect on my mental health, leave me allergic reaction-free and also acne-less? I have this sinking feeling that something's going to have to suffer no matter what I opt for... help?

Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo did the same thing to me - improved acne, improved moods, no sex drive. My doctor switched me to regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and I feel much better (and hornier) on it. :) It has a higher dose of estrogen which apparently is helpful for this sort of thing.

I don't know if it would do the same for you, but it worked for me.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

JustinMorgan posted:

Update. They said she's probably missing her period due to stress. They put her on Sronyx. I've never heard of this pill, It's a generic. Anyone know anything about it? Have any luck with it? She's never been on hormonal birth control before, I've been trying to get her to forever. Condoms are so gross and unneccessary in a long term relationship.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

artless barbarian posted:

I've looked at IUD methods, but as I have a history of metal allergies (any nickel whatsoever = rash that lasts until the end of time), I'm leery about them, too.

Try what NaturalLow says first, but I have also have metal problems and I got a Mirena. It's entirely made of plastic so it is safe for us :)

artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010

NaturalLow posted:

Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo did the same thing to me - improved acne, improved moods, no sex drive. My doctor switched me to regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and I feel much better (and hornier) on it. :) It has a higher dose of estrogen which apparently is helpful for this sort of thing.

I don't know if it would do the same for you, but it worked for me.

That's brilliant to hear. I'll be looking into making that switch (and discussing my Mirena-related options; thanks for the info, Eggplant Wizard) as soon as my doctor gets back from one of her interminable vacations.

purity control
Jan 2, 2005

i look better in real life. seriously.
Has anyone done the switch from Nora-Be (POP) to Mirena? I got a Paragard inserted in December, but my uterus pushed it out. That was horrifying. So, I got a free Mirena through the ARCH foundation, and seeing as my period is coming soon, I'll be getting that inserted. My friend is convinced I'm going to have horrible side effects, but as far as I know, the hormones in Mirena are just the same as the pill that I've been taking for two years.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

purity control posted:

Has anyone done the switch from Nora-Be (POP) to Mirena? I got a Paragard inserted in December, but my uterus pushed it out. That was horrifying. So, I got a free Mirena through the ARCH foundation, and seeing as my period is coming soon, I'll be getting that inserted. My friend is convinced I'm going to have horrible side effects, but as far as I know, the hormones in Mirena are just the same as the pill that I've been taking for two years.

It's correct that they are the same hormones, but as with anything bc related, everybody's body reacts differently yadda yadda yadda.

Novs
Jan 24, 2009
About a year ago I was on Loestrin 24 which I liked, but as a few ladies here have complained (about other pills) it definitely dampened my sex drive, and made me moodier and less happy in general. I stopped over the summer and noticed an almost immediate difference. I'm planning on starting BC again and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to look into - I checked the sites in the op and I understand that every body chemistry is different but the possibility of sinking into depression on a new pill is daunting.

On Monday I'm calling my home gynecologist and later that week visiting either Planned Parenthood or my university's health center; should I just be patient and wait for their collective expert advice?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Tell them what side effects you were having that were bothering you. They'll be able to recommend you better options.

Just remember that if you feel like the side effects are really bothering you before the 3 month "trial" period, just quit taking it and try for something else. Some side effects aren't worth trudging through. Especially emotional ones.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
How soon after starting the pill should I be expecting nasty side effects to kick in? Because I've been on Micronor for a week and if anything, my skin is clearer and my sex drive is higher than it's ever been. Is this confirmation bias, or what? I feel hungry more often than normal, but I can pretty much regulate what I put in my mouth so I'm not too worried about ridiculous weight gain.

Is the other shoe going to drop soon? :ohdear:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

ann disaster posted:

How soon after starting the pill should I be expecting nasty side effects to kick in? Because I've been on Micronor for a week and if anything, my skin is clearer and my sex drive is higher than it's ever been. Is this confirmation bias, or what? I feel hungry more often than normal, but I can pretty much regulate what I put in my mouth so I'm not too worried about ridiculous weight gain.

All I can say is that I started Microgestin back in October and I guess got lucky and had none of the negative side effects. Though I'm thinking of going off it for Implanon soon, I just hope I get lucky again in regards to side effects. I just hate how expensive not having babies is.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

All I can say is that I started Microgestin back in October and I guess got lucky and had none of the negative side effects. Though I'm thinking of going off it for Implanon soon, I just hope I get lucky again in regards to side effects. I just hate how expensive not having babies is.

For loving real. Even through Planned Parenthood it's costing me $35 a month. I'm in art school, guys, I can't afford this poo poo :mad:

But it's still cheaper than an Actual Live Baby, I guess, so.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ann disaster posted:

I never had nasty side effects from the oral bc I was on. You hear a lot of horror stories because people don't go around saying "Hey guys I just started birth control and everything's fine!"

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

ann disaster posted:

Like EPW said, chill out. :) And don't stress about worrying about side effects either. Your body can start feeling "fake" side effects from you worrying about getting real ones.

You have birth control that works well for you, enjoy it!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ann disaster posted:

Like the others have said, birth control doesn't always have bad side effects. I've been taking mine for a year now and if anything I feel better than before I took it. Definitely hungrier though, I've noticed that too.

provocateur
Sep 22, 2008
I'd like to get tested for a hormone imbalance and also PCOS, problem is I've been using Implanon for almost 2 years now. Can I get either of these tests done whilst I'm on birth control? If not, what is the expected wait time to be tested once I remove the Implanon bar?

I'd call my DR and ask but his receptionsts are not that helpful :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My experience with getting diagnosed with PCOS is that it is as much a clinical diagnosis as a medical one. For instance, I don't have any cysts on my ovaries. But, I do have hugely irregular cycles, unwanted facial hair, other endocrine and hormonal issues (diabetes, fibrocystic breasts), and one of the things they test for came back low. So even without the cysts and without other things coming back out of whack, it made sense to diagnose me with PCOS. Oh and I was on Metformin for my diabetes when I got pregnant with Cecilia, and Met. is generally what women with PCOS take to get pregnant. :)

• Locked thread