Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I had cramps all the time on Mirena, with the worst ones being around my "period". I chalked it up to my brain going through all the period motions but my uterus not having any lining to get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...

Geolicious posted:

I had cramps all the time on Mirena, with the worst ones being around my "period". I chalked it up to my brain going through all the period motions but my uterus not having any lining to get rid of.

For the first few years I had what I called a "fake period" where I got all of the emotional PMS symptoms (which I never had before) and some light discharge. I got ovarian cysts at first, but they have become less frequent. This doesn't feel like the cyst pain, though. Weird that I am just now getting cramps after 7.5 years without!

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Does anybody have any ideas if a low dosage birth control would help with the acne i'm still getting at over 30 years old? Getting a little old, kinda clashes with my grey hair.
I have had the mirena for almost 2 years and that's all good, i don't think it changed anything. My face just seems to produce so much sebum, i have no dry patches whatsoever. Been doing a regimen of gentle cleansing and toning, korean face care masks, non comedogenic moisturizers, a salysilic acid lotion, and i've tried all the treatments like proactiv in the past which only chemically burned my face.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 4, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

pizzadog posted:

Does anybody have any ideas if a low dosage birth control would help with the acne i'm still getting at over 30 years old? Getting a little old, kinda clashes with my grey hair.
I have had the mirena for almost 2 years and that's all good, i don't think it changed anything. My face just seems to produce so much sebum, i have no dry patches whatsoever. Been doing a regimen of gentle cleansing and toning, korean face care masks, non comedogenic moisturizers, a salysilic acid lotion, and i've tried all the treatments like proactiv in the past which only chemically burned my face.

Have you tried retinoids (an Rx version like Tretinoin not like oil of olay) or the big gun- accutane? Birth control doesn't work to clear everyone's skin, but vitamin A almost always does.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I had Mirena for 5 years. Loved it and no problems whatsoever. I got Skyla around September when my Mirena expired. Haven't had sex at all until about February and the sex is a little rougher than I'm used to and there is some pain with penetration. There was an incident recently where we were having sex in a different position and there was a HORRIBLE pain that caused me to curl up in a ball and want to die. No blood or anything. We waited a bit then resumed. Next time we had sex i orgasmed and there was this sharp pinch pain at the beginning of the orgasm. Not severe but kind of killed it for me. Afterward there was quite a bit of blood! No pain though. I haven't bled again so I haven't been to the doctor however I continue to get that sharp little pinch when I start to orgasm. We also cant really do any rough sex because it hurts. I never had this issue with Mirena. Any pain I feel is only during sex; no pain day to day. Anyone else have this problem?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

pizzadog posted:

The estrogen-containing methods are the hormonal methods most likely to help with acne. Usually I'd recommend doing them along with a topical retinoid, potentially an antibiotic. The third generation progestin-containing OCPs (like Yaz) tend to have the best anti-acne activity. Spironolactone is another medication that can help with acne in the same way as OCPs.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm 34 and got my Mirena pulled right before I turned 34 because I couldn't handle the acne anymore. I am on Mircette, a lower estrogen pill (because, according to my gyno "You are getting pretty old") and my skin is so much better. I get a few little chin spots near my period but that's it. No more full face, deep cystic breakouts.

I have heard good things about Spiro as well, especially if you're getting the 30s lady 'stache as well.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

thebehaviorist posted:

I had Mirena for 5 years. Loved it and no problems whatsoever. I got Skyla around September when my Mirena expired. Haven't had sex at all until about February and the sex is a little rougher than I'm used to and there is some pain with penetration. There was an incident recently where we were having sex in a different position and there was a HORRIBLE pain that caused me to curl up in a ball and want to die. No blood or anything. We waited a bit then resumed. Next time we had sex i orgasmed and there was this sharp pinch pain at the beginning of the orgasm. Not severe but kind of killed it for me. Afterward there was quite a bit of blood! No pain though. I haven't bled again so I haven't been to the doctor however I continue to get that sharp little pinch when I start to orgasm. We also cant really do any rough sex because it hurts. I never had this issue with Mirena. Any pain I feel is only during sex; no pain day to day. Anyone else have this problem?

This is the reason I had my copper IUD removed! I had it for about 5 years having very little (all vanilla) sex. Then met my boyfriend and certain positions would make me ball up in pain as though I was being stabbed up my cervix with a bayonet. The pain would last no more than a minute or 2 but in that time I wanted to die. Went to the doctor, got an ultrasound to make sure the IUD was sitting properly and it was. I put up with that horrible pain - which would get worse before my period started and during - for about 6 months before I gave up and had it removed.

First thing I'd do is get an ultrasound or sonogram - can't remember which one it is but they stick it inside you to see how the IUD is sitting. Getting that done hurt me too which surprised the chick who did it but I never did find out what the cause of the pain was. I really hope you get it figured out and you have my and my ladyparts' sympathy.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Pig Head posted:

First thing I'd do is get an ultrasound or sonogram - can't remember which one it is

A sonogram is the image produced during an ultrasound exam :science:

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Pig Head posted:

This is the reason I had my copper IUD removed! I had it for about 5 years having very little (all vanilla) sex. Then met my boyfriend and certain positions would make me ball up in pain as though I was being stabbed up my cervix with a bayonet. The pain would last no more than a minute or 2 but in that time I wanted to die. Went to the doctor, got an ultrasound to make sure the IUD was sitting properly and it was. I put up with that horrible pain - which would get worse before my period started and during - for about 6 months before I gave up and had it removed.

First thing I'd do is get an ultrasound or sonogram - can't remember which one it is but they stick it inside you to see how the IUD is sitting. Getting that done hurt me too which surprised the chick who did it but I never did find out what the cause of the pain was. I really hope you get it figured out and you have my and my ladyparts' sympathy.

Ugh sorry to hear this!! Thanks for the sympathy. I feel like things are gonna be very vanilla till I get this drat thing removed. I'll have it checked first but my experience sounds just like yours. What type of BC did you go on after your IUD was removed?

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

thebehaviorist posted:

Ugh sorry to hear this!! Thanks for the sympathy. I feel like things are gonna be very vanilla till I get this drat thing removed. I'll have it checked first but my experience sounds just like yours. What type of BC did you go on after your IUD was removed?

I had 2 rounds of Depo and it was awful (though I do know people who didn't have issues with it). After that, I had my tubes removed and couldn't be happier! Good luck and update please. I will send you good juju.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Pig Head posted:

I had 2 rounds of Depo and it was awful (though I do know people who didn't have issues with it). After that, I had my tubes removed and couldn't be happier! Good luck and update please. I will send you good juju.

Thank you! I just had the Skyla removed and got the nexplanon. Nexplanon insertion was great! Hoping I don't have the horrible bleeding stories everyone speaks of. I'm used to not having periods!

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Figured I should Trip Report.

I finally got my tubal yesterday.

I spent the months leading up to it being equal parts nervous and irritable, due to an intense dislike of medical procedures and anxiety eating at my brain.
I decided to solve this the night before by consulting a pharmacist friend about the best way to dose my lorazepam which meant my husband and I showed up a the hospital with me hitting the high dosage just in time for check in. I remember that I answered all the questions correctly, so yay for that. Told them how much of my happy drugs I'd taken, no I don't have any allergies(that I know of), yes I followed the fasting rules, here's your cup of pee can I go lay down now.

Off to pre-admitting and I'm starting to doze off and on. Warned the anesthesiologist when he stops by that I'm not a fan of needles which was why I took my stuff, he laughed and said we'd be fine.
We mostly were, thanks to lorazepam, except the part where he had to forcibly extract his thumb from my grip before the gas and drugs took effect. I did warn him.
Wake up to someone giving my shoulder a light shake and warning me that they're just going to check my incisions, to which I'm pretty sure my response was a raspberry and going back to sleep.
Surgeon and I argue about which doctor I'm supposed to be going to see for my post-op check. My GP wants me to come see her in ten days, he says something about six months. I'm too stoned to give much of a poo poo but later announce to my husband that my surgeon/gyno is a twat and I don't like him very much.

Left the hospital with instructions not to shower for two day(Not a fan of this but oh well) and no idea how I actually got in the car. My husband stocked us up on Advil, Tylenol and Gravol, I barfed in the little bag they gave me because I'm stubborn and tried to go in the grocery store with him and we went home for me to sleep the rest of the day in spurts before eating half a bowl of chicken noodle soup and passing out for the rest of the day/night.

Today I have a raging headache, my shoulders are sore, my abs are killing me and the cats keep trying to sit on my stomach. We have reached a compromise in that they are allowed to lay on my chest. Or sit in my lap while I'm at the computer, as is currently happening.

In the end, I'm happy that I won't be losing valuable brain space to the constant worry of an unwanted pregnancy. I'm hoping this will lead to my sex life coming back from the dead because nothing kills your libido like "gently caress, is my period late? gently caress, did I take my pill on time?" and all that other fun stuff. I'm not thrilled that this took nearly a year to get to and I think it'll be some time before I fully come to terms with that but hey, I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone and talk to my GP about going to see a therapist when I go in for my post-op check.

TL:DR - Had tubes "tied". Do not regret most of it and happy that it's finally done. I need more Advil....

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I didn't see this in the FAQ. Has anyone had consultation for endometrial ablation or had it performed? Experiences? I was all set to see a uro for vasectomy but my wife has decided it's more convenient if she doesn't have a period.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

howdoesishotweb posted:

I didn't see this in the FAQ. Has anyone had consultation for endometrial ablation or had it performed? Experiences? I was all set to see a uro for vasectomy but my wife has decided it's more convenient if she doesn't have a period.

The only people I know who've had it got it paired with Essure or a tubal because ablation by itself it not considered a form of birth control, and getting pregnant despite having an ablation is real bad news.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I've been on the combined pill for most of the last 13 years, and over the last 12 months or so the idea of trying a copper coil (I don't tolerate progesterone-only contraception - I had to have the implant taken out after 6 months of constant spotting) has been popping into my head. It's partly because I wonder what I'm like without the pill, and how my sex drive would be (which has tanked over the last few months) and also because in the next few years it'll be time to think about getting pregnant and I worry that after so long on the pill it'll take me forever to get back to baseline hormonally.

However, I also get horrid periods - especially over the last couple of years they've become really heavy and painful for the first two days - and I tend to skip periods so I don't have to deal with it all. This understandably puts me off the coil because I'm not sure I'd cope with 4+ months of awfulness until things settled down. I really like that, on the pill, I can skip periods until I feel ready and then I know that 4 days after my last pill I'll come on. I like the flexibility and predictable nature of the thing.

I know there's no right answer but I guess I wanted some opinions and input, has anyone else weighed these sorts of factors up?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've been on the combined pill for most of the last 13 years, and over the last 12 months or so the idea of trying a copper coil (I don't tolerate progesterone-only contraception - I had to have the implant taken out after 6 months of constant spotting) has been popping into my head. It's partly because I wonder what I'm like without the pill, and how my sex drive would be (which has tanked over the last few months) and also because in the next few years it'll be time to think about getting pregnant and I worry that after so long on the pill it'll take me forever to get back to baseline hormonally.

However, I also get horrid periods - especially over the last couple of years they've become really heavy and painful for the first two days - and I tend to skip periods so I don't have to deal with it all. This understandably puts me off the coil because I'm not sure I'd cope with 4+ months of awfulness until things settled down. I really like that, on the pill, I can skip periods until I feel ready and then I know that 4 days after my last pill I'll come on. I like the flexibility and predictable nature of the thing.

I know there's no right answer but I guess I wanted some opinions and input, has anyone else weighed these sorts of factors up?

Being on the pill shouldn't cause any long-term effects in fertility. Women will generally start ovulating again within a few months of stopping the pill. If you have really heavy, painful periods I'd recommend you at least consider one of the levonorgestrel IUDs, especially Mirena or another 52 mg device (which are approved for treating heavy bleeding as well as pain in addition to providing excellent contraception). While like the implant bleeding can be unpredictable, overall the profile is much better and maybe 25-30% of women will stop having periods after 6-12 months with most of the rest of women having only intermittent light spotting. The systemic dose of progestin is low compared to the implant, and since the device doesn't work by inhibiting ovulation, return to fertility is quicker than other methods of contraception.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I would posit that you're not having a real period since you're on hormonal BC, and your body may do something else entirely when you get off it for the copper coil. My BC-free periods were very different from the ones I had on the pill or patch or ring- more tolerable, I guess.

That said, I did find the paragard to be more uncomfortable before I'd had a baby, both during periods and otherwise. So it depends on the size of your uterus somewhat. Is your insurance decent that you can take it out and try something else if it's not working out for you?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm in the UK so it's all free, I just don't want to put myself through all that pain and then having to start over again with a pill if it's too unbearable. So maybe that's my answer...

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
If I want to get on birth control, but don't know the effects that hormonal BC will have on my body, but also can't remember to take a pill to save my life, and refuse to have anything cross the threshold of my cervix, what sounds like a better option?

- Get the Implanon thingy in my arm not knowing if I'll hate it or not
- Just try really hard to take pills on time despite having ADHD-memory

The story goes that I exist because my mom didn't take her pill at the same time every day, so it's a big deal to me. I guess there's also Nuvaring, but I don't like to store foreign objects in my vagina for too long. I don't even use tampons.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Automatonic Water posted:

If I want to get on birth control, but don't know the effects that hormonal BC will have on my body, but also can't remember to take a pill to save my life, and refuse to have anything cross the threshold of my cervix, what sounds like a better option?

Could you remember to do something weekly? The patch is the next self-removable longer term option if the ring it out for you.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Automatonic Water posted:

- Get the Implanon thingy in my arm not knowing if I'll hate it or not
- Just try really hard to take pills on time despite having ADHD-memory

The story goes that I exist because my mom didn't take her pill at the same time every day, so it's a big deal to me. I guess there's also Nuvaring, but I don't like to store foreign objects in my vagina for too long. I don't even use tampons.

You could try the shot to see how progestin-only affects you, but if it sucks you're stuck with it for a few months until the hormones wear off. I got the shot for a few years and then switched to the arm implant. Periods started to come back after about a year but other effects (canker sores strangely) are also less noticeable with the lower dose of the implant.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oestrogen-containing pills are a bit more flexible than they used to be in that if you usually take it in the morning but forget and end up taking it in the evening you'll be fine, so if you can remember enough to take a pill at some point during the day you can still go for them
they're a no-go if you have migraines with an aura though because of increased stroke risk, worth mentioning because a lot of people don't know about this

Implanon could be an option, since if you hate it you can just get it taken out and you'll be fine in a week or two, and any side effects will be much milder than you'd get on the injection

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Scudworth posted:

Could you remember to do something weekly? The patch is the next self-removable longer term option if the ring it out for you.

That actually sounds pretty feasible, thanks.

vaguely posted:

oestrogen-containing pills are a bit more flexible than they used to be in that if you usually take it in the morning but forget and end up taking it in the evening you'll be fine, so if you can remember enough to take a pill at some point during the day you can still go for them
they're a no-go if you have migraines with an aura though because of increased stroke risk, worth mentioning because a lot of people don't know about this

Yeah I had heard about the stroke thing and I think I'm starting to get the sort of migraines that my mom has, so maybe another reason to not do the pill, just in case

quote:

Implanon could be an option, since if you hate it you can just get it taken out and you'll be fine in a week or two, and any side effects will be much milder than you'd get on the injection

Yeah being able to just get it taken out kinda eliminates the risk, and it just sounds so easy to get and not worry about.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I need help :( I'm one of those people that is stupid and has anxiety when it comes to medical things. I know that I have kaiser insurance and I need birth control pills, but I have no idea where to call or who to talk to to facilitate that. I never go to the doctor, so I don't have one. I tried googling and just got frustrated.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

remigious posted:

I need help :( I'm one of those people that is stupid and has anxiety when it comes to medical things. I know that I have kaiser insurance and I need birth control pills, but I have no idea where to call or who to talk to to facilitate that. I never go to the doctor, so I don't have one. I tried googling and just got frustrated.

On the previous thread page you were going to PP for them, call them?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I second the recommendation for PP.

However, if you decide to get a GP (general practitioner), you can take it in steps :)

The first thing is something you can do whenever -
Get a copy of your medical records, you just call your last doctor and ask them to send you a copy. They do that all the time, and they can probably mail or fax them to you. You'll want to bring them in to your new GP, although the only thing they really need is your immunization record, and they don't even need that for birth control.

I'd find a doctor who is geographically convenient using Kaiser's tool for finding doctors who take their insurance: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/doctors-locations

Then you can call the doctor or office and ask if they have doctors accepting new patients, and that you'd like to schedule a birth control consultation. "I haven't gotten a new GP since the last time I moved" is a totally reasonable thing to say, even if your last move was within the same city or whatever, no one will give you a hard time about it.

Then you just show up! I know how intimidating it can seem, but that's pretty much it. If it's stressing you out, then just do one thing at a time, and once the appointment is scheduled your work is basically done :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Oh jeez, I'm sorry, I forgot that I had posted before a few months ago. I chickened out and didn't deal with it :(
Thank you for the helpful advice and link. I'm going to get it taken care of!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

remigious posted:

Oh jeez, I'm sorry, I forgot that I had posted before a few months ago. I chickened out and didn't deal with it :(
Thank you for the helpful advice and link. I'm going to get it taken care of!

Gurl don't be so down on yourself, you got this. It's okay to ask for help. :hfive:

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I'm about to start on Yaz- does anyone have any insights/experiences/horror stories? I'm taking it for the anti-androgenic effects mainly (I'm fat and hairy and have acne so that's contraception pretty much sorted anyway!).

Sidenote I hopped on down to the chemist to buy it today and it was AUD85 which seemed really expensive until I realised that was a three month supply and my Pristiq costs $40 for a month. Still not a fun addition to my budget though :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My bffl got clots with it but it turns out she also has Factor V Leiden so I am sure that didn't help.

• Locked thread