Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I know this isn't directly related to birth control, but I figured it's a good place for it.

https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_ws_I_Stand_with_PP&s_src=istandwithPP_googad&gclid=CN3z7YqDl6cCFQpvbAodjn2iaw

This is a link to a form letter to congress that you can sign on Planned Parenthood's behalf. Because of the recent attacks in the House of Representatives and the Live Action "sting" videos, Planned Parenthood is trying to shore up its defenses against funding cuts and bad legislation. If you've ever used their services or even if you just believe in what they do, now is a good time to sign the letter, or even contact your legislators directly to let them know that their continued assault on women's healthcare is reprehensible.

Depending on where you're at in the US, there could be state level stuff going on too, so you can find your local affiliate at http://www.plannedparenthood.org and see if they need your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Due to a troubling amount of medical issues over the years I came to the conclusion 3 years ago that I would never have biological children. Ever. For any reason at all. Most doctors refuse to sterilize you if you have no children until you are in your 30's, I am 21. I have a tubal ligation scheduled with an amazing doctor for March 9th! I am so excited! Surgery sucks, but it's going to be so worth it! All of my other doctors looked at me like I was nuts when I brought it up to them. I think it helped that my therapist, Mom, and sister all told him he should do it, haha!

randommsugirl
Jan 20, 2011
I read through the thread and I can't find anything about Ocella (generic for Yasmin). Today I found out that it has been pulled from the market. I have to switch to something and I'm nervous, as Yasmin made me a raging B*tch and i haven't heard good things about the other generic "Zarah". I have been on various types of birth control for the past 13 years: zovia/orthro tri cyclen/seasonale (awful)/yaz. Suggestions? Thoughts? Input? I have an appointment tomorrow and I need to choose an alternative by then. I can't commit to tubal ligation, but def do not want to have kids any time soon!

I should probably mention that I am very concerned about mood/depression, as in the past that has been the issue with other pills. Help?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

For once I have a question! :haw:

I was wondering if anybody else here who takes pills has found themselves with extra pill dispensers? The clinic I go to always gives me one for each pack of pills everytime I get a refill. At this point I have probably 19 or 20 of the things lying around. I only need one since I just "reload" it with a new pill pack every month and maybe one or two extras in case one is lost/damaged.

So does anyone else have this problem? What the hell do you do with them all? I hate to just throw them away, could I donate them to the clinic or maybe Planned Parenthood? They're brand new and have just been sitting in that magic brown paper bag that every clinic likes to use. :)

(These are the Ortho Tri Cyclen "dialpaks" by the way, if it matters at all. And uh, I guess if anyone in the thread needs one, you just hit the jackpot.)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Mine get pitched. I have one of those "designer" cases Ortho offered at one point that has a bit thicker plastic. I don't see any reason that you couldn't tell them you don't need the dial case, though.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I used to put them in the recycling. No one needs donations of them because they are packaged with the pills in the first place. I asked my pharmacist once if I had to take another one and he said "We'd just throw it out too."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I used to put them in the recycling. No one needs donations of them because they are packaged with the pills in the first place. I asked my pharmacist once if I had to take another one and he said "We'd just throw it out too."

This is why I always ask people if they need a new one before doling them out. With the amount that end up getting recycled I'm pretty sure I could build some cool forts.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Can someone explain what's up with the anti-Planned Parentood stuff in the States right now? Did it pass in house and is now going through Senate? Is that how it works?

Is there any way to override this?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Bagleworm posted:

Can someone explain what's up with the anti-Planned Parentood stuff in the States right now? Did it pass in house and is now going through Senate? Is that how it works?

I've been reading that thread about it in gbs everyday. The last I saw it had enough yes votes to pass in the house. :sigh:

The Senate has to reject that poo poo.

It has to.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bagleworm posted:

It's probably not going to make it past the Senate, but it might behoove you to check out with what is going on at the state level regarding your particular affiliate. To be honest if there is something you can do to help your local affiliate, it's probably more useful than calling the office of your US Congress people. But I do recommend signing the petition I posted at the top of this page and getting involved any way you can. Even if that's reminding others in your life just how important PP is to so many people.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

DrNutt posted:

It's probably not going to make it past the Senate, but it might behoove you to check out with what is going on at the state level regarding your particular affiliate. To be honest if there is something you can do to help your local affiliate, it's probably more useful than calling the office of your US Congress people. But I do recommend signing the petition I posted at the top of this page and getting involved any way you can. Even if that's reminding others in your life just how important PP is to so many people.

I'm Canadian, so I can't really get involved other than watching this thing unfold and crossing my fingers. At least I can understand federal American politics; the state level stuff confuses the hell out of me.

I really hope you're right and that it dies in Senate.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
I don't think the Planned Parenthood thing will pass the Senate, and even if it does Congress probably can't scrounge up 2/3 of its members to override a presidential veto.

Either way, the next time I get a couple of bucks I'm donating them to the PP.

Some questions for those of you with a paragard (or any IUD for that matter.) I'm being super paranoid about its effectiveness - turns out, googling failure stories is not a great way to research birth control right after you get it! I'm mostly concerned about expulsion and being susceptible to pregnancy during that time.

For those of you who had the IUD expel -
-Did you bleed and cramp?
-When people say you can feel the metal and plastic, what exactly does that mean? Sticking out of the cervix, or poking against it from the inside?

I've been checking mine everyday and all seems well - not gonna lie, though, I'm actually looking forward to the reassurance of a period and the followup visit.

Showtime!
Sep 22, 2006

it's never over
I figured I would cross post this from another thread.

For the past 6+ months or so, I've been skipping periods using a triphastic pill. Instead of cramping to death and being violated by tampons once a month, I've been doing it once every 3 months.. Essentially, I'm using Ortho Tri Cyclein Lo like Seasonique by skipping the placebos. i.e. white pills -> light blue pills -> dark blue pills -> dark blue pills -> light blue pills -> white pills -> etc

I'm using the second method from the website linked prior, so the fluctuation in hormones isn't major and with this method I haven't experienced breakthrough bleeding and everything has been awesome. However this month, it's a disaster. I got my period anyway (I think?) and it's pretty drat heavy and annoying. If it means anything, it started on the Sunday I was supposed to take the placebos but took the blue pills. I've done this method before with no bleeding, so what the hell happened this month? I'm not worried about pregnancy since I'm not exactly doing anything while this is going on, but did I break something and should I keep taking the pills as normal or start completely to restart the cycle? Is this super heavy breakthrough bleeding or something else? Gah, help. :/ I'm super frustrated because killer cramps and heavy periods is why I'm on Ortho, it's kind of no point if it's going on anyway...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Showtime! posted:

I figured I would cross post this from another thread.

For the past 6+ months or so, I've been skipping periods using a triphastic pill. Instead of cramping to death and being violated by tampons once a month, I've been doing it once every 3 months.. Essentially, I'm using Ortho Tri Cyclein Lo like Seasonique by skipping the placebos. i.e. white pills -> light blue pills -> dark blue pills -> dark blue pills -> light blue pills -> white pills -> etc

I'm using the second method from the website linked prior, so the fluctuation in hormones isn't major and with this method I haven't experienced breakthrough bleeding and everything has been awesome. However this month, it's a disaster. I got my period anyway (I think?) and it's pretty drat heavy and annoying. If it means anything, it started on the Sunday I was supposed to take the placebos but took the blue pills. I've done this method before with no bleeding, so what the hell happened this month? I'm not worried about pregnancy since I'm not exactly doing anything while this is going on, but did I break something and should I keep taking the pills as normal or start completely to restart the cycle? Is this super heavy breakthrough bleeding or something else? Gah, help. :/ I'm super frustrated because killer cramps and heavy periods is why I'm on Ortho, it's kind of no point if it's going on anyway...

I'm not really sure, but I guess it could just be your body being weird this time around. I know whenever I skip a period (I'm also on a triphasic pill), the next time I have one it's really heavy and crampy. Then everything just kind of goes back to normal. I'm not really sure what kind of advice to give though, I just take my pills in the prescribed order.

Showtime!
Sep 22, 2006

it's never over

NaturalLow posted:

I'm not really sure, but I guess it could just be your body being weird this time around. I know whenever I skip a period (I'm also on a triphasic pill), the next time I have one it's really heavy and crampy. Then everything just kind of goes back to normal. I'm not really sure what kind of advice to give though, I just take my pills in the prescribed order.

Weird, I was supposed to skip it but it decided to come anyway. Here's to hoping that it goes away by the weekend. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Showtime! posted:

Weird, I was supposed to skip it but it decided to come anyway. Here's to hoping that it goes away by the weekend. :(

Sadly it's part of the risk of stacking pills. But it isn't uncommon for that to happen even if you don't skip. Periods can often be triggered early by stress and such.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
OH DEAR GOD

:(

I just started my third period since getting the paragard IUD and owwwwww. I was getting ready to go visit the doctors to figure out why I've been feeling so awful the past few days when the reason became incredibly apparent.

The worst part is I've been taking Yaz again to minimize these effects and so far, nothing. My cramps are horrific and my skin makes me look 14 again. Other than using a heating pad, any advice?

untitled
Jun 4, 2004

Feet!!! Not that I'm into that sort of thing....
Yikes. I just got my paragard put in today. I am wondering how long the initial bleeding usually lasts.

Wasn't too awful. I don't have periods back yet since having the kid so I don't when I'll be experiencing that hell.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I was outdoors in the desert today working and turns out it was the first day of my period AKA every four hours I have to call a stop work and take the company vehicle across the dunes to the one bathroom on the power plant meanwhile praying the cup doesn't explode all over the car seat in those five minutes.

Thinking of getting the paragard pulled just to see if it will calm this tsunami the gently caress down. Good luck to you ladies with yours!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Is it hard to get the paragard taken out? I feel kind of bad about wanting it out after only a few months but uugh....

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

Is it hard to get the paragard taken out? I feel kind of bad about wanting it out after only a few months but uugh....

Not at all. Had mine taken out at the campus health center (I'm in school) and it made me a little crampy but otherwise I was fine. Apparently a really high percentage of women get them out cause of the increased bleeding/cramping. But I held out for 2 years and for some reason it went from tolerable to intolerable.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Cracker Jack posted:

Not at all. Had mine taken out at the campus health center (I'm in school) and it made me a little crampy but otherwise I was fine. Apparently a really high percentage of women get them out cause of the increased bleeding/cramping. But I held out for 2 years and for some reason it went from tolerable to intolerable.

Sounds like how I feel right now! Good to know what to expect if I want it done. Do they have to clamp your cervix again or do they just pull on the strings?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I am having serious second thoughts about an IUD, you guys. The pill has almost wiped out my period. I'd hate to have to go back to that. Especially if it's awful.

But, seriously, thanks for sharing your stories. I guess it helps weigh the options. I'm getting ready to move 2600 miles away anyhow, so I guess BC isn't going to be my top concern for a while anyhow, so I'll probably stick to the pill for period/cyst control.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Sounds like how I feel right now! Good to know what to expect if I want it done. Do they have to clamp your cervix again or do they just pull on the strings?

She just cleaned up the cervix for max visibility, grabbed the strings with tongs and pulled. I had to have meds to have mine inserted cause my cervix wasn't large enough even on my period, but it was less painful to have it removed.

And geo, are you thinking mirena or paragard? I've known people on mirena to lose their periods, but paragard has pretty much always made people's worse. I'm thinking about a mirena now, but I want to see what my period is like paragard-free for a few months to be sure.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Jack posted:

And geo, are you thinking mirena or paragard? I've known people on mirena to lose their periods, but paragard has pretty much always made people's worse. I'm thinking about a mirena now, but I want to see what my period is like paragard-free for a few months to be sure.

I had been thinking Paraguard since I can't seem to find anyone to consent to giving me Mirena in this area. Though, you fine folks in the thread suggested PP might help out in either case, even though I don't have kids.

But, uh, yeah, gently caress Paraguard if it's going to make my periods worse. That and ovarian cysts is why I started BC in the first place. I don't need to go back there. I'm about to start a job where I am going to be in a pit mine ALL day. I don't need any crazy period drama.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
Got my implanon on put in a couple days ago! :woop: I havent ha any bleeding yet, but the people at PPH told me finish the pack of pills that i was on. Once they finish they said up to 3 months of spotting/bleeding. Then no periods! I love this thing. No nausea (yet) and a few light headaches. Yay Implanon!!

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I had been thinking Paraguard since I can't seem to find anyone to consent to giving me Mirena in this area. Though, you fine folks in the thread suggested PP might help out in either case, even though I don't have kids.

But, uh, yeah, gently caress Paraguard if it's going to make my periods worse. That and ovarian cysts is why I started BC in the first place. I don't need to go back there. I'm about to start a job where I am going to be in a pit mine ALL day. I don't need any crazy period drama.

Yeah I'd reconsider. First month I had my paraguard in I was doing vibration testing in the field and I kept having to leave my monitors and use the loving construction site's portapotty about every 2 hours to not bleed all over the place. Ain't nothing fun or sanitary about that.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Uncool, Marshmallow. Terrible business. I think I'm going to stick to my pill for now. But, reading through the thread, I may give Implanon some consideration.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I don't see why no one would give you a Mirena, but were okay with inserting a Paragard :/ They both have the same monogamous and must-have-baby misconceptions, and if you're on pills than you wouldn't be contraindicated for the hormones.

If you were interested in IUDs because of the convenience, I have never heard of anyone who bled heavier on a hormonal IUD than when on nothing. Most women seem to eventually bleed less on a hormonal IUD than when they are on oral contraceptives, even.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, in this area, no one wanted to give me either IUD. But, the PP around here does a lot of Paraguard and not as much Mirena, so that's why I had Paraguard on the brain.

But, like I mentioned earlier, I am moving soon, so when I get some time I might pop into the PP in Reno and discuss my options.

I mean, they have to be all about BC in Reno, right? :haw:

edit: What concerns me, though, it switching over to something that will make my periods go crazy, even if it's only at first. I won't be in a position to deal with that so well. So, I think I will stick to the pill for now. The pill has never been inconvenient per se, I have never missed in 8 years of taking it, but it would be nice to have something a little lower maintenance. In an ideal world, I could get my tubes tied...

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 25, 2011

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Lanthanum posted:

Got my implanon on put in a couple days ago! :woop: I havent ha any bleeding yet, but the people at PPH told me finish the pack of pills that i was on. Once they finish they said up to 3 months of spotting/bleeding. Then no periods! I love this thing.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on the no bleeding thing - that only happens to a lucky 20%.

However, if anyone in the other 80% is curious, here's my Implanon + pill trip report. My GP put me on Loestrin 20 for three months to stop the irregular bleeding I was getting with the implant. Success! I'm on the second pack now and everything is normal again. Yeah, it's higher maintenance, but taking a pill once a night is a lot less stress than getting random periods all the drat time. If anyone's having a similarly iffy time with the implant then this is well worth looking into; I really wish I'd done it months ago.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Volcano posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on the no bleeding thing - that only happens to a lucky 20%.

However, if anyone in the other 80% is curious, here's my Implanon + pill trip report. My GP put me on Loestrin 20 for three months to stop the irregular bleeding I was getting with the implant. Success! I'm on the second pack now and everything is normal again. Yeah, it's higher maintenance, but taking a pill once a night is a lot less stress than getting random periods all the drat time. If anyone's having a similarly iffy time with the implant then this is well worth looking into; I really wish I'd done it months ago.

I think the reason why I haven't bled yet is because I'm only on my 6th pill from a pack, and they told me to complete that cycle anyway. I'm pretty sure once I finish the (or even sooner) I will have bleeding for about 3 months. I'm still really excited about not taking pills everyday, and not having to worry thaaat much about getting pregnant!

I'm also stoked on the fact it lasts 3 years :)

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

Volcano posted:

This might be a dumb question but why do you continue to use Implanon when you have to take a birth control pill to control side effects? Why not ditch the Implanon and just take pills? Does the increased effectiveness make you want to leave it? I had terrible bleeding and sexual side effects and got mine taken out and switched to generic Ortho Tri Cyclen and have been so much happier.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Volcano posted:

Anybody know what the rate of never having a period again on Mirena is?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Ring of Light posted:

This might be a dumb question but why do you continue to use Implanon when you have to take a birth control pill to control side effects? Why not ditch the Implanon and just take pills? Does the increased effectiveness make you want to leave it? I had terrible bleeding and sexual side effects and got mine taken out and switched to generic Ortho Tri Cyclen and have been so much happier.

That never made sense to me either. I'm wondering why they told Lanthanum to keep taking her pills too. When I got mine put in, they told me "if you haven't already, stop taking your pills, you don't need them anymore."

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Ring of Light posted:

I was just going to ask this myself. I've only ever been on the pill, but it would seem if your IUD or implant's not working for what you need where you have to take a pill as well, just take the pill.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kdc67 posted:

I was just going to ask this myself. I've only ever been on the pill, but it would seem if your IUD or implant's not working for what you need where you have to take a pill as well, just take the pill.

Obviously I can't speak for them personally, but my guess is maybe they just don't want to have to worry about taking their pill perfectly all the time. The implant provides constant protection from pregnancy that you don't have to take right on time every single day. If you're just using the pill to stop bleeding, you've got more leeway if you miss taking it by a few hours. And if you forget to take it completely one day? No biggie, at the worst the bleeding might come back but you're still protected.

(I know I'm kind of generalizing here that people get the implant because they don't like having to remember pills).

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Ring of Light posted:

Nah, it's a pretty reasonable question. I'm only on the pill for three months; after that, maybe my body will take the hint and stay on schedule, or so the doctor hopes. However if I go off the pill and CHAOS REIGNS then I'll probably just get the implant out. Long term doubling up does seem a bit silly.

NaturalLow posted:

Obviously I can't speak for them personally, but my guess is maybe they just don't want to have to worry about taking their pill perfectly all the time. The implant provides constant protection from pregnancy that you don't have to take right on time every single day. If you're just using the pill to stop bleeding, you've got more leeway if you miss taking it by a few hours. And if you forget to take it completely one day? No biggie, at the worst the bleeding might come back but you're still protected.

(I know I'm kind of generalizing here that people get the implant because they don't like having to remember pills).

Yeah, this too. So far I've only once screwed up and taken it a few hours late but it's nice to not have to freak out about it, although I guess without the implant as a safety net I might be more careful about taking it on time.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Anybody know what the rate of never having a period again on Mirena is?

Most studies put it near 45-50%, after 6+ months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Was there a chart or a site posted in the last thread that showed which birth controls use similar hormones or something? I can't remember if it's real or if I'm making it up.

• Locked thread