Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freckles
Jan 4, 2007
What about Mirena? The hormone is very localized and just enough to counter the side effects that Paragard has (heavier periods, more cramps, etc.) A lot of women find that their periods disappear entirely once they've had it in a few months, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freckles
Jan 4, 2007
(I'm a sex educator, not a doctor, for the record. Your sister should talk to her doctor about this.)

Yes, you're right. Depo really isn't recommended for such long-term use, mostly because of the loss of bone density it can cause. I can't find any studies that have been done measuring bone density in Depo users over such a long period of time, and it's likely that it's reversible, but since no data are available from people who have been on Depo for more than two years, it's hard to know for sure. None of the reproductive healthcare providers I know would keep a patient on Depo for that long, and some of them don't like to prescribe it at all, just because of the side effects.

Freckles
Jan 4, 2007
There isn't any really clear evidence yet that being overweight reduces the effectiveness of the pill. It might, but there haven't been a lot of studies done. Of the studies that have been done, some suggested that weight does make a difference, others didn't show any difference in effectiveness between women of average weight and women who are overweight. (A pharmacist might be a better person to ask about this stuff than a doctor, they have all the most up to date information about medication effectiveness and interactions.)

If you want a method that won't be affected by weight or the St John's wort, non-hormonal methods are best. The paragard IUD is the most effective non-hormonal option.

• Locked thread