Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Call Planned Parenthood or a local clinic and say "Hi, I'd like to make an appointment to get a full STD panel." Some cities also have free walk-in testing centers you can use instead.

Be sure to ask what they're testing for (usually HSV isn't on the list).

Testing methods differ. They haven't swabbed my vagina, but they've asked for blood and urine tests. Or they may want to do a cheek swab for a rapid HIV test -- every facility probably has slightly different procedures. Feel free to ask what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Sapphic Swordsaint posted:

I'm an off and on again Depo Provera user. I get it for dysmenorrhea and it works wonders. I've never had a side effect off of it and would recommend it for this use.

Now, a question: Is it normal for doctors to force me to get a pregnancy test before each shot, or is this a regional and/or moral thing? I noticed when I lived in California, they would give it to me, and most clinics had it available. I currently live in Arizona and not only is it hard to find a clinic with any birth control options (much less Depo), they do this to me every time. Even though I'm getting it for not sex related reasons. They always seem very hostile and angry when I do manage to be able to get the shot administered and tell me I should go off so I could have a baby/family someday. I've even had doctors outright not give it to me here saying I was using it to cover up an abortion I wanted to have in secret or some other bizarre conspiracy. It's all very passive aggressive on the best of days getting it here. I figure I would tell them I'm gay, but given that it's Arizona, and I won't be here more than two a half months more at most, it's not worth any further ostracizing.

Unfortunately I've had to drop it for now due to their hostile attitudes towards me about it.
It seems normal if you're on-again, off-again. Like, if you got a shot four or five months ago, then for the last 1-2 months you haven't been protected; it's like you're starting birth control all over again. They want to be sure you didn't get pregnant during the last few unprotected months, because if you did and then they give you a shot full o' hormones, it wouldn't be good news for the baby. That part is covering their asses.

The nutjobbery is all theirs. If you just want to get in, get what you want, and get out, I'd recommend striking up a conversation with the nurse and getting a little TMI pretty quickly: "Oh, I sure am glad I found this shot, isn't it amazing. I used to bleed all the time, you know, and I was afraid I would just bleed so much I wouldn't be able to have babies down the road. But this shot stops all that worry, isn't that a wonderful thing?"

It's lying, but it hurts nobody and it makes your life way, way easier.

v Better than latex for this laydee, too. Apart from the "WAIT STOP I think it broke or came off or disappeared!" factor! Lifestyles Skyn hell yeah.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 19, 2011

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

So my girlfriend is allergic to latex. We are poor, both 18, and still live under our parents' rule so that really takes out any fancy contraceptive ideas we have. Most of the fancier methods look like they'd require doctors visits, and since we still live under our parent's insurance it looks like they'd find out. ...

Edit: Or I could just ask mom and dad...that would be easiest. As you can see both parents on either side would flip if we had sex before marriage even though there's no law against it. And despite what most folks say I cant just go "Im 18 now I can live my own life" because respectfully I still leech off of mom and pops resources.
Would she be willing to go on a hormonal contraceptive if it were okay with her parents? If so, I suggest getting creative with the truth. Maybe her periods are irregular, or heavier than she'd like? There are legit reasons for taking birth control besides contraception.

My parents were conservative too, and I could never have gone to my mom in my late teens to say "hey, I want to have sex with birth control, hook me up with some of that please!" Instead I did my research, found a birth control that looked like it might help improve my skin, and brought it to my mom for that reason. She took it totally at face value, which meant I got her insurance and her complete cooperation, just like it was any other drug for any other reason.

Bagleworm posted:

Everything I've read states nonlatex condoms (excluding lambskin!) have the same effectiveness preventing pregnancy and protecting from STIs.

I've heard better things about polyisoprene than polyurethane. I think polyurethane tends to be a little thicker and less stretchy. Last time I was at the drug store, Lifestyles had a polyisoprene line called "Skyn," and that's the only box of polyisoprene condoms I noticed. Never used them personally, maybe someone else wants to chime in? We don't use condoms much at all.
Skyn feels better to me than regular latex condoms. He claims they smell bad, but I haven't noticed.

Jumpsuit posted:

Also this may be a dumb question...but is there any possibility that the implant can break inside your arm? It just feels so flimsy in there :(
Did they let you play with it beforehand? It's flimsy, but it's flexible. It's not like an actual matchstick, more like...a silicone spatula? I can't come up with a great comparison, but my point is that it bends -- I think it'd be pretty tough to break.

Even if it does break, I don't think you're at huge risk of anything. It's not like a capsule surrounding a liquid that leaks out, and if there's a rupture it would all flood at once. Instead, the hormones are impregnated in the implant and slowly leach away. There would only be a tiny increase in surface area. They'd still probably want to replace it, but it wouldn't be like one day you whack your arm on something, flood your system with hormones, fall over, and get rushed to the hospital.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Scurvy posted:

I'm currently on Mircette (or its generic), and have been for at least 6 years. For the past two years, I've been bugging my gyno about Implanon, because the idea of not having to be a slave to pills every day really appeals to me. However, she's always been dismissive and tells me that my current form of BC works fine, and so there's no need to switch. I told her why I wanted it (convenience, not to mention lower chance of human error), and she says, "that's not a good enough reason to switch."

I don't know, this isn't an acceptable answer for me. If there was a medical reason to keep me on Mircette, I'd be fine with it. Is there something I'm missing? I'm perfectly healthy otherwise, I'm not overweight, my period has always been regular and light. I'm fairly certain my insurance would cover at least some of the cost, too.

Should I just resign myself to taking Mircette forever, or should I look into finding a new doctor?
Yeah, that's a bullshit attitude. She at least has to explain why instead of saying "nope, I won't let you." Convenience is a totally legit reason to try it, especially if you think you can handle the side effects.

I would bet that she isn't approved to insert Implanon (you have to go to a training session) but she doesn't want to lose your business. I would find a new doctor just because she's so dismissive and it doesn't sound like she really has your best interests at heart.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Lanthanum posted:

Got my implanon on put in a couple days ago! :woop: I havent ha any bleeding yet, but the people at PPH told me finish the pack of pills that i was on. Once they finish they said up to 3 months of spotting/bleeding. Then no periods! I love this thing. No nausea (yet) and a few light headaches. Yay Implanon!!

Geolicious posted:

Uncool, Marshmallow. Terrible business. I think I'm going to stick to my pill for now. But, reading through the thread, I may give Implanon some consideration.
Welllll, I have Implanon and I love it, but the one thing Implanon guarantees is irregular bleeding. It becomes effective almost right away (you don't need to finish your pack) but amenorrhea is definitely not guaranteed. Your periods could disappear, or become lighter or less frequent, but it's completely unpredictable. That's the #1 reason people get it removed early -- it was really irresponsible of them not to tell you that beforehand. My fingers are crossed you're in the lucky percentages!

kdc67 posted:

I was just going to ask this myself. I've only ever been on the pill, but it would seem if your IUD or implant's not working for what you need where you have to take a pill as well, just take the pill.
I would stay on both for a couple reasons:
- The implant's not costing you anything; you don't have to pay anymore and it shouldn't hurt you.
- Implanon is more effective than the pill. (Both together should be even more effective.)
- With an implant, you can't screw up. There's nothing to forget every night, and it doesn't matter if you're a day or two late picking up your prescription -- and you also don't have to care if you throw up, if you take an antibiotic, whatever -- you're covered, guaranteed, no effort, no matter what, for 3 years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Lanthanum posted:

My arm is SO ITCHY. To the point where I can't focus on anything else, except to itch itch itch. Is this normal?

PPH told me irregular/prolonged bleeding or spotting within the first 3 to 6 months, then after that typically periods go away. Is that wrong?
I don't remember itching, but it might just be a healing thing -- sometimes scabs are really itchy.

Yeah, they definitely should not have told you that. I'm really sorry they misinformed you. I think it's something like 20-30% of women enter amenorrhea by the end of their first year. I bled irregularly (but nor crazy heavily) for a couple months, and then for longer, I only bled when my cervix was poked (but when it was, I bled a lot). After about 9(?) months, that stopped too, and for the rest of my time I only had very, very light spotting (irregularly but infrequently). I was lucky -- it's not like a 1% chance, it's a fairly decent chance, but it's definitely not any kind of guarantee.

That chart I posted is straight from Implanon's site. You might want to bring that into PP along with whatever other info you can find, just so they don't spread that misinformation to other women. Implanon is fantastic, but it's not for everyone, and like everything else, you really have to make an informed decision.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I know someone who doesn't bother with her placebo week, and just starts the new cycle anew every time, without waiting. I.e she just does a 3-week cycle with actives every day ad infinitum. She's been doing this since December.

I don't know enough about the pill to be able to give details (I'm a bloke) but I would have figured that was a stupidly bad idea. To skip placebos is one thing, but to skip the week-long cooling off period and just overload your body week in week out strikes me as dumb.

Any details/links on what sort of effects this might have?
The lazy harlot will probably get cancer in a week or two, so --

No, it's fine to do this. Feel free to google "skip placebo week" or "continuous birth control pill" or something. Doctors often mention it, and I think it's also in the package insert for a lot of pills. Some women don't like to do it for whatever reason, but the worst side effect is a chance of unpredictable spotting. It's fine, she's fine, she knows more about it than you do.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Grushenka posted:

I was re-reading the information packet for Cerazette today and it talks about thrombosis symptoms. I thought that the progestin-only pill carried no risk of thrombosis/DVT's, since the NHS website says that they carry no risk. Is that not true, then?
It's been awhile since I did all the research, but here's what I remember:
- combination pills definitely elevate your risk of clotting
- progestin-only pills haven't been around as long and haven't been shown to have much effect on clotting
- since progestin is in the combination pills (and there are no estrogen-only pills to compare), they include a warning to stay on the safe side

The WHO released a fact sheet saying that Implanon (progestin-only implant) was safe for women predisposed to clotting (Leiden factor V), which was good enough for me and my doctor. I haven't died yet, which is sort of promising.

You can google "progestin only clotting" and get a ton of information. I think there haven't been a lot of long-term studies and they've been pretty inconclusive. Progestin-only methods aren't nearly as bad as methods that contain estrogen; the question (which studies have been unclear about) is whether they raise your risk at all, or not really.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think the iron issue is (1) if you're on a type of birth control that means you have infrequent/no periods, AND (2) you're supplementing with iron. Iron supplements for women assume that you're losing a lot of iron with a monthly period, and if that's not the case, you could potentially wind up adding too much.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

DrNewton posted:

I am surprised that somebody at a BC would tell me to use Vaseline. then again i once was told honey is a good substituted. *shrugs*

To answer peoples questions, as i said, it has to be all natural... or natural as you can get. The stuff you get a store is full of strange chemicals and perfume. Even if the lube says works for people with sensitivity I will still get a reaction.

I an not wear make-up or face creams. I can only use all natural soap for my body. I can't even use hand sensitizers.
"It has to be all-natural" but you were going to use Vaseline? You realize it's a petroleum derivate, and about as processed as you can get? And like everyone's said, everything oil-based is incompatible with condoms.

Also, honey is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. Wrong texture, yeast infections -- no, you don't want to try it.

If you tell us what you're actually allergic to, we might have some better solutions -- there's organic lube marketed as natural, for example. If you keep playing Princess and the Pea, all that's "natural" enough is actual lube or saliva.

Cat Breath posted:

My question for you guys is: what have been your experiences going from a combined hormonal method to Mirena/Implanon with respect to libido? I understand that what happens to me will be different, but I'd like to get a general opinion about it.
Going from nothing to Implanon increased my sex drive. Huge YMMV, as you know!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I had a similar experience with Implanon, but after a little trial and error, I figured out that I wasn't just bleeding nonstop; it was that hitting my cervix would trigger bleeding. I think that stage lasted for maybe a few months, and then for the next two years, everything was awesome and period-free (except occasional tiny spotting).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I know there are a bunch of us with Implanon now (yay!). I just got mine replaced. My old one was placed perfectly, and felt exactly like the example. If I went hunting, I could find it, but I was absolutely never aware of it otherwise. My new one is placed differently -- it's crazy shallow. It hurts to move my arm, and I worry the end's going to come through the skin. You can see it!

Has anyone else had a really shallow Implanon? What happened? It's only my second day, so I'm hoping it will magically and quickly move deeper, but I doubt it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What a pain. I'm sure it's still effective (I'm single right now so it's actually not important for now), but the pain/irritation/concern isn't exactly ideal! My last one was probably a few mm deep, into the fat layer, and it never made its presence known at all. This is immediately under the skin -- like if I were a chicken, this is where you'd be rubbing your compound butter. I'm going to keep the compression bandage on a little longer and see if that magically drives it deeper? Maybe? It hurts less then, anyway.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight while on hormonal birth control? If so, could you give me the name of whatever you were doing?
I lost 90 pounds from around spring 2007 through end of summer 2008. I got my first Implanon in October 2007 and I don't feel it slowed me down.

Please head to W&W! The FAQ are really helpful. I was eating a deficit of 1000 calories/day with a macronutrient split of 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% healthy fats. There was more to it, but your details are likely different so that's something you can iron out for yourself. But you really need to track -- if you don't know what you're eating, you don't have any handle on what you're doing.

quote:

I also like the idea of being able to just easily stop a procedure--by no longer taking pills, by not scheduling another depo injection, etc--if one method isn't working for me, and I don't know if I could easily do that with a paraguard or a similar method.
It's actually harder to stop Depo than anything else. If you have an IUD, Nuvaring, Implanon, patch, whatever, and you notice you're having bad side effects, either you can take it out yourself (nuvaring, patch) or you can have an appointment and get it pulled the next day (IUD, Implanon) -- and then that's it. If you have a terrible reaction to Depo, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it; you're stuck with it for over a month no matter what.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Did you seriously come into the birth control thread just to warn all women not to be irresponsible liars?

I'm sorry you're in a relationship with one, but that doesn't mean the rest of us need to be nagged about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Maybe she "wasn't allowed" by her practice or insurer or something if they didn't think it was cost-effective? Implanon is definitely still FDA-approved.

I can't guarantee mood issues, obviously, and suicidal thoughts are serious enough that I wouldn't want to experiment. Removal is easy and quick, but making an appointment isn't as immediate as throwing away your pills.

I personally haven't had major issues on Implanon. It did/does make it easier for me to cry, but it doesn't make me any more upset; tears just start coming from my eyes at a lower level of upset-ness. Anecdotally, I've heard that mood issues may be a bit less likely since it's a steady, constant dose (not even a 24-hour up-and-down cycle like pills). However, suicide is serious enough that I wouldn't just go out and give it a shot.

Separately -- Jesus, I hate to dissuade people from Implanon, because my first one was so fantastic. As a birth control, I still love Implanon, but my new implant is killing me. It was inserted poorly, it's way too shallow, and in the last 10 days it hasn't moved deeper at all. A dozen times a day, it catches on my shirt and it's crazy stabbing pain. The same pain wakes me up every time I roll over -- just about hourly, every night. I told myself I'd give it a month to calm down and hopefully move deeper, but I'm seriously not sure I can make it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
IIRC, Implanon should take effect more quickly than other types of birth control. I think a lot of clinics either aren't used to this (since they're used to dealing with older methods), or else they want to stay way, way on the safe side. If you do some research and some talking, you should be able to get it on any day of your cycle that's convenient for an appointment. It's almost guaranteed to disrupt your cycle anyway, so that shouldn't be a big concern either.

PS I'm getting mine redone :toot: I'm so glad this wasn't my first one or I would've thought it was supposed to hurt like crazy! It's not. Don't leave until it feels like the example they show you!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 12, 2011

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They're both progesterone-only, but different types of progesterone.

However, the only major side effect I've noticed on Implanon (I'm also on my second) is...I cry more easily. I don't get upset more easily, but I start crying when I'm less upset than it would usually take for me to cry. Obviously everyone reacts differently, and Implanon does have the benefit of a steady dosage without any ups and downs -- but crying is literally the only negative side effect it's given me, so I thought it was worth saying something.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, there are people who use more than one kind of hormonal birth control. Obviously you need the say-so of a doctor who knows what s/he's doing, but it's not the end of the world.

Amenorrhea is a common, although definitely not guaranteed, side effect of Implanon. Irregular spotting at first is common, so you could possibly stay on a pill to combat that, and then go off it to see whether you're one of the women who winds up not having a period on Implanon (I'm one of them and I love it!).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Nail polish remover might make the area dryer, but it shouldn't cause a field of breakouts or anything. I would go for it and just follow up with moisturizer.

Goo Gone, on the other hand, is probably a bad idea...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Implanon insertion isn't so scary -- they just make a small puncture and slide it in with a needle. I literally couldn't tell when mine was happening. There was zero gore or pain. There was some bruising, but keep the ace bandage on and it shouldn't be an issue.

Removal is a little scarier and mine wasn't super fun, but I still didn't need anything more than a Band-Aid! It's just supposed to be one small hole and a pair of tweezers, not a chunk taken out of your arm and four stitches! I'm sorry that went so wrong. :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Budget Bears posted:

I actually have kind of a similar question to this. I'm on the patch and my boyfriend has been cumming inside me pretty much every time we have sex. But last night he told me that he thinks he should only cum inside me every other time we have sex to "lower our chances" of me getting pregnant even though I'm on a really effective birth control. Is this reasonable? I really prefer him to just cum inside me because I feel like it kind of breaks the rhythm and gets me out of the mood when he has to pull out. If he's right about only cumming inside me half as much lowering our chances of me getting pregnant then obviously I'm all for that, but I have a feeling that's not correct.
No, this is hilarious.

Basically (slightly oversimplified but whatever), either you released a fertile egg, or you didn't. The exact numbers depend on the type of birth control, but let's say for typical use it's 95% no egg, 5% egg.

If the egg is there, it doesn't matter whether he comes inside you twice or ten times or once every three days. One sperm can do it, and sperm can live in the body for days.

If the egg's not there, it doesn't matter how many gallons of semen you swim in, you're not getting pregnant.

Pulling out "every other time" is pointless -- it only serves to frustrate you (and I can't imagine he really loves it either).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

the actual procedure took over an hour!
:aaa: What were they doing for all that time? I've had two put in, and they took less than five minutes -- combined.

Peggy Lee posted:

As far as I know, I'm doing everything 'right': cotton underpants, no skinny jeans, no soap or douching (just water and sometimes Dove unscented soap on the outside), using condoms, eating yogurt. I did pick up some chewable acidophilus tablets on a whim, figuring at worst they'd be a waste of $8, and they seem to have done a good job staving off a yeast infection from the antibiotics I'm now taking for a UTI. Maybe they'll help calm things down.

I am a hot loving mess right now. :(
Stupid question, but do the condoms have glycerin-based lube?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

DRP Solved! posted:

Just being able to put a condom on right and not using lubes or products that reduce the condom's integrity pretty much constitutes "perfect use".
This is not even vaguely true. Here are some things that "perfect use" entails:
- Don't store it in a wallet, glovebox, or anywhere else that might be friction-y, warm, or light
- Check the expiration date
- Be sure it's airtight before opening
- Squish it to the side before opening
- Don't open it with your teeth
- Pinch the tip while putting it on
- Be sure there are no air bubbles before using
- After you come, pull out immediately, while using one hand to hold the condom around the base

Do you seriously do all of these every time? I wouldn't even trust the average goon not to put it on inside-out. It's called typical use for a reason.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

True, but we can probably agree that typical use condom still comes out really really well compared to typical use sponge & spermicide, which was her point.
Yeah, and I do totally agree with that. I just think it's important to point out that just because you're using a method of birth control definitely doesn't mean it qualifies as "perfect use" -- no matter how good you think you are, err on the safe side and figure you fall into the typical category, like 99% of us do.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Gutless Wonder posted:

I had some blood tests run on me and every doctor I've been to agrees I cannot be put on hormonal birth control at all.
Why, what do you have? The doctors who told you this, were they older guys who only focused on blood/clotting issues?

I have factor V Leiden, which is pretty common and basically the (mild) opposite of hemophilia. All the older male blood doctors told me omg, no hormones. When I did my own research, or talked to doctors who were younger, female, and/or reproductive health specialists, they agreed estrogen was the problem and progesterone was fine. I also got a nice printout from a WHO study that specifically said Implanon was fine for me. I suspect you have the same deal, and while combination BC may be off the table, there are plenty of progesterone-only options that should be fine.

Also, goddamn at all of you who shrug off a colposcopy like no big thing. When I had one, it was pretty much the worst thing ever, the procedure and the aftermath. I'm amazed by y'all's cervical fortitude.

Also also, PSA: get the HPV vaccine if you can! Even if you already have one type of HPV, it's still worthwhile. If you're a guy itt, you too can and should get it. College health centers and local clinics can sometimes give you good price breaks, and insurance can sometimes be surprisingly good about covering it since it's a preventative thing. Vaccines for everyone :toot:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Bone Storm posted:

Unfortunately she's already got pretty gnarly, painful periods so an IUD might not be a great idea for her. I hope there's something out there that will work. While I'm more than willing to wear a condom if it keeps my girlfriend from being miserable, I loving hate condoms. Dammit, science, where's the male oral contraceptive?
You can always try other stuff like a diaphragm or female condoms. Just a different brand/style of condom can make a big difference, too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
IIRC Schroedinger was the lifter who did a ton of research, but I can't remember what the conclusions were.

Totally anecdotal evidence: I started on Implanon after working out for awhile and it didn't seem to have any noticeable effect. I was working out for weight loss, not qualifying for the Olympic team or anything, so although I think the average woman can do fine with it, at very serious levels, who knows.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

fork bomb posted:

Anne, I saw some of your before/after pics posted in W&W and you are a complete inspiration. I'm glad to hear that you have experience with Implanon, that gives me one less excuse when I actually try. :3
Aah thank you so much! I was tracking before and during, so it wasn't like I could accidentally eat more or differently, if that helps. I'm also on Implanon #2 now. :3:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

New guy (finally my libido came back after coming off the pill a few months ago), so new contracption needed.

I really wanted the copper coil, finally got the cohones to get it put in... and the doctor couldn't get the thing in AT ALL. She's done the procedure plenty of times, but she said it just wasn't gonna happen for me and she didn't want to damage my uterus (fair enough, I don't want that either).

I'm pretty gutted because it means back to hormones.

She's recommended the implant and said if it effects me too much, the hormonal symptoms disappear almost straight away after it's removed. Is this true?

I can't keep taking 4+ months out of my life trying different hormones.
Yes, after you get Implanon out, the hormones are supposed to gtfo really really quickly. Good luck!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yup, it's basically right where it rubs against your breasts. I've had allergy shots and Implanon -- not at the same time, but even if you were Olsen-twin thin, I don't think they'd conflict. If a needle could go in one side of your arm and out the other, then maybe.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

samizdat posted:

Has anybody who enjoyed the anti-acne properties of oral birth control ever gone the route of getting an IUD and then getting some sort of anti-acne medicine from a dermatologist? My problem is just pimples on my face and upper chest. Not Accutane-like acne, but I don't want any.
I did this with Implanon and it was totally no big deal. I took antibiotics for years, then Accutane, Implanon, second course of Accutane, another Implanon, and now I'm looking for a dermatologist who'll give me spirolactone. Implanon does help with my skin, but not enough for me to be completely happy. It shouldn't be a problem to get other treatments along with birth control.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm on my second Implanon and I love it. I've posted about it here, but in the last thread, I posted a trip report and more -- does anyone have a link to the last thread?

BrainParasite posted:

My girlfriend (27) has decided she doesn't want to be on hormonal birth control any more.
- Reasonable in some circumstances, but these aren't them.
She's been on the pill off and on for eleven years and apparently she can't deal with the emotional toll it takes.
- Has she tried different kinds? Low-dose, POP? Also, agreeing Plan B is way worse.
She's also worried about losing her fertility. She doesn't want an IUD because she's worried that being on birth control long term will make her infertile.
- This is wrong verging on nuts, like anti-vaccination levels of wrong.
Also she's grossed out by having a piece of metal inside her uterus.
- If she can't handle that, she definitely can't handle NFP.
She's also worried about the cost (medical insurance supposedly won't cover it.)
- Have you checked? Lots do. Planned Parenthood and other clinics often have sliding scales. Even if they don't, over the lifetime of an IUD/Implanon/etc., it may wind up cheaper than pills or condoms.

If she won't consider abortion or adoption, then you have to be absolutely 100% sure pregnancy isn't possible. It seems like she's making it about as likely as possible. Sounds like you have different goals and she's a whole lot more okay with babies than you are.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Semisponge posted:

On the negative side, I finally got my Implanon taken out a year early because it was making me cry every goddamned day and have a full, heavy period every twelve days like clockwork. Just be warned, not everyone reacts well to the hormones, so be prepared to have it taken out and don't be an idiot like me and wait way too long for things to get better.

Edit: I still have short periods after 6 months with it out. Every 21 days. :smith:
Because of the way Implanon works, the hormones are supposed to be out of your body literally within days, if not hours, of removal. Have you been to see a doctor since? Six months is a long time after any type of hbc, but especially after Implanon. It could be a symptom of an underlying issue.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Hey, I have Implanon and I'm pretty sure I was obese when I got my first one (I was losing weight at the time and I don't remember the exact timing). As I understood the explanation, the hormone would leach faster -- so it wouldn't make it less effective at first, it might just need to be replaced sooner (in the third year). You would know this if, for example, your periods went away on Implanon (common) and later started to come back.

Before having unprotected sex, I did some googling, and I couldn't actually find any examples of women who'd been on Implanon and gotten pregnant. There were some women who thought they were on Implanon, but the implant hadn't actually been inserted, but that was it at the time. That was years ago, so statistically some pregnancies are likely to have occurred, but not a lot -- Implanon is the most effective hormonal contraceptive, more effective than having your tubes tied. That may change depending on size, but it's hard to predict how much.

Using condoms or another barrier method can't hurt, but I personally wouldn't be too worried. Remember all kinds of hormonal birth control are being prescribed to all kinds of women -- from 5'0" and 100 lbs to 6'3" and 200 lbs. Even if those are both average BMI, that's still a major variance in size/dosage.

e: btw, if she really is 230-260, she is morbidly obese if she's around 5'3"-5'7". Don't assume she doesn't fit into that category just because she's not gross and doesn't need a scooter.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 17, 2012

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Sexual Panda posted:

This may be a good sign that when I do stop taking pills eventually, my skin should go back to normal. I'm a little afraid of antibiotics since the last time I took them, I got a yeast infection, so I might be prone to those again.
Take probiotics at the same time! Look for pills with live cultures. Sounds like questionable woo-woo, but my doctor recommended it to me (when I was also on long-term antibiotics for my skin) and it works like a charm.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

gabi posted:

Warning! Incoming stressed out word vomit!

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm getting Implanon put in my arm tomorrow, and I'm kind of freaking out about it. I realize I'm probably just working myself up into a panic attack over nothing, but the last time I had anything birth control-related inserted it was a Mirena, and oh my god. It hurt so badly (I have a sensitive cervix and they didn't numb it enough). I had one of these reactions and fainted. It took me hours to be ok enough to drive myself home, and then I was on the couch for days, cramping and bleeding a ton, with the strings constantly unfurling and poking me. Other than that I had no adverse side effects with Mirena, which was a minor miracle, and why I think I'd be more likely to take Implanon well. I just currently have the irrational fear that I'm going to get gangrene and lose my arm from the Implanon. :j:

I've already prepped for most of the things I can think of (my boyfriend is driving me to/from in case I faint again, I've done all of my dishes and laundry so I won't have to use that arm for a while, etc), but I could use some reassurance that I'm just being paranoid and that I'll be fine if a little sore by the next day.
Take some deep breaths, because you're being incredibly paranoid. Your doctor could use a kitchen knife to open up your arm and roll Implanon around on the floor first, and you still probably wouldn't get gangrene and lose your arm.

When they put mine in, I didn't even realize what was happening. I was looking in the other direction and talking to a nurse, and when I felt the slightest of pushing sensations (but no pain), I figured the doctor must've just broken the skin. Nope! All done!

I had some local bruising for a little while, and I left the ace bandage on to protect the area for a couple days, but that was it. I wasn't curling 100 lbs, but I could still certainly do the dishes and live normally. Also obviously you shouldn't have cramping/bleeding/fainting/cervical issues because nobody is going even vaguely near that area. I'm sorry your Mirena insertion was no fun, but Implanon is completely different and it shouldn't be affected by your Mirena experience.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Where do you guys live who had Implanon inserted via slits? I thought the norm was to use a big needle (with Implanon inside the barrel) to puncture and insert, then withdraw the needle and leave the implant behind. Doctors have to be trained before they can insert Implanon, so I figured it would be a standardized procedure.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

DeADHeaD posted:

That's so crazy to me! (I'm certainly not calling the figures into question but) how in the gently caress is there a method of hormonal birth control which is MORE effective than tubal ligation!? :psyduck:

That's not the first time I've read that, but I just don't get it. Just the rate at which the surgery is performed incorrectly?
Sometimes, or sometimes the Fallopian tubes are all "gently caress that" and they regrow years later. Implanon is also technically more effective :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are a number of other progesterone-only methods of birth control besides Implanon. That said, I have Implanon and I love it; click the ? under my name for my other posts itt. As long as you can feel that it's in your arm after insertion, you're fine. Iirc, the trouble was that sometimes it would fall on the floor and nobody would realize :psyduck: As long as it's in there, you should be very well protected.

• Locked thread