Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Hi guys. I actually forgot this thread existed and got nexplanon about 10 days ago without consulting the internet.

I am trying to lighten/reduce my periods on it but this afternoon I started to spot brownish old blood. I'm so worried that this is a permanent thing. The last time I spotted like that, my cervix had been nicked so I'm a little worried. Anyone start getting hormonal effects like this so close to insertion, and does it go away in a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Ok good. I'm minorly freaking out, since the last time I was on birth control I puked for six months straight.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So I posted in here a few months ago when I got Nexplanon but I'm seeing my doctor Monday to probably get it taken out. I got it to reduce periods, but I'm basically having 9 day periods now with about 4 days in between.

Additionally I'm cramping all 9 days and just constantly mood swinging. I did some research and asked my pharmacist friend and she said that it sounds like I have high progesterone.

I did this method because all estrogen birth control made me vomit constantly for six months straight. At this point, I might take the vomiting because at least I will lose the weight that this implant has also made me gain.

In my research, something mentioned was that you can reduce your own progesterone levels through diet and exercise. I'm not overweight (5'4", 135 lbs), should I ask my doctor to test for hormone imbalance or sensitivity or just cut this thing out and give up on ever feeling sane without having a hysterectomy. I'm seriously at the end of my rope, and thinking too long about this makes me either cry or want to throw something.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

superbelch posted:

There are definitely options other than the Nexplanon for reducing your periods. Mirena reduces blood loss by 80% at 6 months, 90% at a year, and around a third of women won't have periods at all. It's also a MUCH lower dose of overall progestin to your body as most of its effect is local on the uterus. Depo Provera has a better shot at completely stopping your periods with long-term use, but does so with higher serum levels of progestin. Progestin-only pills could be an option as well. In terms of non-hormonal treatments, tranexamic acid and ibuprofen can be helpful when taken during your period.

I'm pretty convinced that anything with progestin in it will give me the same effect. Nexplanon has about the same rate in reducing periods or stopping them and it has been the worst thing I've done. Unless I can lower progesterone levels in my body, I feel pretty hosed, and not in the fun way because this has also made sex extremely painful.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Well all birth control will be free if it's generic brand and covered under the ACA.

For oral BC, is typically due to user error. You have take the pill every day at exactly the same time to be extremely effective. You should always be using back-up birth control: condoms are cheap and readily available, especially if you haven't both been tested.

If she likes what she has, there are many types of oral birth control. If not, she can make another appointment and do some more research on what she wants. Planned Parenthood is a good start, but any GP can prescribe any birth control as well, although a nurse-midwife or gynecologist can do IUD or implant insertions.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Nexplanon was awful and I think it may have temporarily hosed up my metabolism because I started gaining weight on it and now I'm on calorie reduction and running every day and I'm still loving gaining weight. Everyone I know who has it has had their periods disappear and not had weight gain, and I feel like I lost Birth Control: The Competition.

I just want to not have basically a stomach flu for 2-3 days every month. I said this to my mom and she told me she had the same problems, but they went away after her first pregnancy (with me), so she must have transferred them to me via witchcraft and I'm going to have to get pregnant to pass along this curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I've already had thyroid issues predating birth control and with medication, my thyroid stuff is apparently good. Maybe it's water?

• Locked thread