Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cailleask
May 6, 2007

Asking here too because someone in the knocked up thread pointed out it was a good idea! So I'm trying to decide what to do for birth control after my womb-monster escapes in another two months. I had a paragard before that I thought was pretty awesome, except it gave me awful cramps due to having a pretty small uterus.

Obviously that won't be the case anymore come June. Will I be less likely to have awful period cramping if I get a new paragard put in after birth? Has anyone done a before-and-after that can provide a comparison? I got knocked up pretty darn fast so I so don't want to screw around with hormonal BC again if I can help it, but the cramps with the IUD were pretty serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Just about every form of hormonal birth control has caused mental or physical issues. I've tried nearly all of them at this point over the course of 10-ish years, and have had various and sundry unpleasant side-effects-- to the point that I'm leery of using the long-term hormonal methods like depo or mirena. Especially not something I want to risk while dealing with a newborn! Blood clots are also a major concern due to family history. I'm a lot better off, generally speaking, with non-hormonal methods.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Trip report: I had my paragard inserted at six weeks post-partum, and my god it is nothing at all like when I had it inserted before I had a baby. No pain, I couldn't even tell when my doctor shoved it on in there. So, so much easier.

I've spotted off and on since, but I have wacky post-baby hormones so I'm not sure if I can blame the IUD. Overall, a WAY better experience. I can understand why some doctors won't do them for nulliparous women now (not that I approve).

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Counter-intuitive, but you want your strings to be really long so the pokey ends have an easier time curling upwards. I think mine is somewhere like an inch out of my cervix? Maybe a little less?

This is my second paragard (one pre and one post partum). I had a lot of cramping and maybe a 25% increase with bleeding with my first one. The cramps got to the point where I had it removed after like 2 years. However I haven't had any cramping at all with this second one, and I've had it in for 10 months. My cycles aren't really back to normal yet though even though my baby is about to be 1, so I can't say for sure what it'll keep looking like.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I would posit that you're not having a real period since you're on hormonal BC, and your body may do something else entirely when you get off it for the copper coil. My BC-free periods were very different from the ones I had on the pill or patch or ring- more tolerable, I guess.

That said, I did find the paragard to be more uncomfortable before I'd had a baby, both during periods and otherwise. So it depends on the size of your uterus somewhat. Is your insurance decent that you can take it out and try something else if it's not working out for you?

• Locked thread