Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Eggplant, I still have that after 2 years of my paragard. You'll get used to it. And how long are the strings? Less than 2 inches and I think you'll be fine. Maybe get them trimmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Any ladies here have migraines with auras?

I just got my Paragard taken out because of ridiculous cramping over the past 3 months. It was great in theory (no hormones and no garbage) but the cramps were getting to be too much for me. My dr. said that I have to be careful of hormones due to the auras. Apparently it ups your risk of stroke considerably.

I am at a loss over what to use that doesn't involve condoms, spermicide or is going to give me a stroke...

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Planned parenthood? They gave me one at 22/no kids without a second thought.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
My paragard was free. I had no insurance and was unemployed at the time. I believe most work on a sliding scale and you only pay what they decide you can afford.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

Is it hard to get the paragard taken out? I feel kind of bad about wanting it out after only a few months but uugh....

Not at all. Had mine taken out at the campus health center (I'm in school) and it made me a little crampy but otherwise I was fine. Apparently a really high percentage of women get them out cause of the increased bleeding/cramping. But I held out for 2 years and for some reason it went from tolerable to intolerable.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Sounds like how I feel right now! Good to know what to expect if I want it done. Do they have to clamp your cervix again or do they just pull on the strings?

She just cleaned up the cervix for max visibility, grabbed the strings with tongs and pulled. I had to have meds to have mine inserted cause my cervix wasn't large enough even on my period, but it was less painful to have it removed.

And geo, are you thinking mirena or paragard? I've known people on mirena to lose their periods, but paragard has pretty much always made people's worse. I'm thinking about a mirena now, but I want to see what my period is like paragard-free for a few months to be sure.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

Has anyone here started a diet while on the depo shot?

I've been working out four days a week (free weights, couch to 5k, bicycle crunches, etc) and I've cut sodas, fast food, etc out of my diet, but I'm actually gaining weight even though I can see that I'm getting stronger. I would hate to blame this on my birth control, but I'm in my early twenties and I've never had this much trouble losing weight before... Would someone mind discussing this over PM?

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are working out you are probably replacing one with the other.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me at PP. The moment they saw aura on my medical history they wouldn't give me OTC-Lo or Yaz anymore. Ended up with a paragard and it worked well for me until the cramps got bad (about 2 years later). I'd rather not worry about the increased stroke risk especially since I smoke. PP is just following protocol from the WHO so I don't fault them for it.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lanthanum posted:

heeeelp

Mine popped out sometimes during sex, but since you can leave it out for up to three hours it wasn't an issue. I found that it softened up over the month and was more likely to fall out towards the end, but again, just shove it back in there. As far as hormonal birth control goes, it probably affected my mood/sex drive the least.

As for copper IUDs, when I got mine put in I was given a cervical softening medication the appointment before. This is because they were unable to get the IUD inserted on the first try and I was about to puke/pass out from the weird feelings (not pain, per say). I took it the night before the procedure and the next day the IUD went in with no pain whatsoever.

My current GP and I wanted to try mirena, but unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover it. (They cover everything else!!! BAH!) So I have to go check out PP soon. But my doctor did give me the cervical softening medicine so I don't have to go through that again.

Let it be known that I'm 24, no kids, so this is probably the reason they couldn't get it in.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Do you remember the name of that cervical softening medicine? I'm your age, same situation, and terribly afraid of the pain/nausea/assorted weird feelings.

I don't have a GP, so I go to a walk-in clinic whenever I need something. The doctors there are usually so busy that they'll give you what you ask for if you come in already knowing what you want...

Misoprostol. Can't remember the first dosage, but it was a single oral pill. The one my GP gave me recently is a vaginal suppository. 2 - 200 mcg tablets that you shove up by your cervix. You can also let them dissolve in your mouth but she said it would taste awful. Hope that helps!

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

lou reed posted:

I really like my copper IUD. I haven't had it too long, but I am starting to notice my periods starting to shorten/lighten up. It's an adjustment, though. My menstrual cramps are the same but the week or so before my period I'll get really short but very intense twinges of pain. It's like nothing/BOOM/oooow/over.

Question for those of you with Paragards: do you ever get pelvic pain? I get weird pains that I'm certain are cervix-specific. It's not horrible but it's not super infrequent either. Is this normal?

After I got my paragard I noticed more cervical pain, even after having it for 2 years. I still occasionally get twinges even after having it removed 4 months ago.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Little Ghost posted:

I am a little confused/concerned about my new Nuvaring, and I was hoping you all could tell me what to do. I just got the ring today from Planned Parenthood, and the woman who helped me made it seem as though I should put the ring in today. Since she and I talked about side effects, how to insert it, etc, I stupidly didn't read the directions in the package and just popped the ring in right after my appointment.

It is now about 8 hours later, and I finally got around to reading the directions, and they say that I should start the ring on the first day of my cycle, but I'm actually about a week away from my period. I feel like an idiot, but she really made it seem like I was good to go today, and now I am super confused about what to do. Should I leave it in? Take it out? Will removing it so quickly have any negative effects? Can I store this ring for a week till my period starts, or will that ruin it?

Leave it in and use a back-up method for the first week. Don't take it out and try to store it. If anything, all your other rings should go in the fridge til you use them. That's what I was told by my doctor when I was on the ring.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

While we're talking about getting IUD's removed, I was wondering how comparable the pain is to getting it inserted. I got the paragard put in 7 or 8 months ago and it was awful. Easily one of the most painful things I've had done and that's REALLY saying something. I want to get it taken out since circumstances have changed and it really isn't worth the downsides anymore (constant spotting, heavy/painful periods, etc). The only reason I haven't gotten it pulled out already is because I'm too chicken.

So IS it as bad to get it taken out?

My first insertion attempt (which I have written about in the thread before) was awful. My second insertion attempt was a cake walk and didn't hurt at all thanks to some drugs. Getting it removed was not anywhere near as painful as the first insertion attempt, and in fact I was shocked at how easy it was. It wasn't 100% painless, more like a weird tugging feeling. Don't let your fear of removal keep you from getting it out if you want to. It's 1 second of discomfort!

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

twee_fangs posted:

Yes. Just read through this thread the past few weeks and decided to get the Paragard. I was so excited and relieved when my CRNP was very enthusiastic about it. (I'm 28, on ortho/tri-sprintec for 10 years, no pregnancies). I've only had the pre-insertion exam; they are ordering the IUD now, and she said she'll have to measure my uterus to make sure it's at least 6 cm or she won't try to insert it. Just wondering how common a problem this might be... Has anyone here had a too-small uterus?

They measured by uterus right before they put in my IUD. This was at PP. They have to measure it or else they don't know how long to make the IUD insertion tube lest they perforate your uterus or don't put it in far enough. I'm 5'6" and had no problems, but I know women far shorter who have had one put it too.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Eggplant Wizard, I asked that at PP once. Their response was to pull the IUD out and risk miscarriage, or leave it in and hope for the best. They didn't say anything bad would happen to the baby if you left it in, but they wouldn't say it was risk-free either.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

BigGayLogan posted:

You also missed that I'm single. Most doctors only prescribe IUDs if you're married or at least in a very long-term monogamous relationship. I know there's someone out there that doesn't care what my age or relationship status is or whatever, but it's just not worth the search now.

Just lie? I mean really, are they going to know?

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

While we're on the topic of IUD's... I finally have my appointment set to get my paragard removed! :) Does it make a difference if I'm on my period or not? I'm going to be so happy to have it gone.

I got mine taken out while not on my period, and I hardly felt a thing. Hope that clears up your problems. I know my bleeding and cramping is WAY better now that the paragard it out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

bobula posted:

I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with planned parenthood for Mirena insertion this Monday. So now I have a few questions for those of you with an IUD!

How much pain medication is generally advised to be taken before the procedure, how long before, and what kind?

What was the worst part of insertion, for you? Were you able to go on about your day/day after?

What about sex? Can I have it the day before (I'll just be starting my period so I probably won't, but I'd like to know if the option is open)?

The woman scheduling my appointment wasn't exactly a font of wisdom, so I hope someone can shed some light here.

E: oh, sorry for the double post!

I think they gave me some standard tylenol like 15 minutes prior. The worse part was checking the depth of the uterus. It gave me a little cramp and I felt a bit nauseous from it. I was told no condomless sex the day or two before. You don't want any sperm hanging out in there because it could get pushed up into you and knock you up. (Also, it's kinda rude to go in with gunk up there, haha.) This was for the paragard, but I imagine it's pretty much the same.

• Locked thread