Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaini Industries
Jul 3, 2007
I finally conquered my fears and got my Mirena inserted yesterday! I really worked myself up before the appointment, and it ended up being not as bad as I was expecting. It was exactly like everyone said: it hurts like hell for a few seconds, but goes away quick. It's something I could totally go through again in five years.
(For reference, I'm 21 and have never had kids)

For the rest of the day I felt a little tired and my legs were crampy, but other that I felt just fine, hardly any abdominal cramps at all. I think it helps that I can take pain fairly well, too. I walked around campus right after the insertion, and I did some shopping/errands with my boyfriend; I think I could have definitely gone to class and work if I hadn't already taken the day off.

However, I just woke up an hour and a half ago (3:00 am) with pretty bad abdominal/vagina pains. I wouldn't say they're TERRIBLE, but they're definitely the worst I've ever had. They're bad enough that I can't get back to sleep, and two Aleves didn't really help. It looks like I will have to take another day off of work and school.

Has this happened to anyone else? That is, you felt fine after insertion but then the next day the terrible cramps begin? This is probably an "Oh my gosh my IUD is doing something wrong!!!" freak out, but I was searching through the old birth control mega-thread and it seemed like everyone's pain went down after insertion, not up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaini Industries
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks guys! I've been taking it easy with a heating pad and tea.

Kaini Industries
Jul 3, 2007
I've had my Mirena for about 2 years now. Since starting, I've had my period twice (about once per year). I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences this? I've read some forums online about similar situations, and it seems like everyone freaks out about it, thinking there's something wrong...but since this has happened to me before (my last period was about 15 months ago) and nothing seemed wrong, I'm not really worried. I'm just curious how common this is.

EDIT: The one thing that I find really odd is the PMS that comes along with it. I used to get 'standard' PMS maybe two or three times a year, but the two times I've had my period the last two years have been awful. It's almost like 15 months of hormones and emotions come out in a day or two; I've been weepy all day! Called my girlfriend and bawled over everything and anything. Maybe it's because I'm just not used to it anymore though

Kaini Industries fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 15, 2013

• Locked thread