Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I had a mirena inserted after a surgical abortion procedure in 2014 and it ended up moving, and gave me weird spotting and pain. I had it removed a couple of months later. I was bummed about it but the strings made me anxious lol

Last fall, I got a nexplanon implant and it's really nice and cool, for the most part my periods are gone but for like three? weeks now I've been having weird pink discharge, minor cramping and bad headaches after a semi-period. idk if I have some kind of infection like after my abortion/IUD (I think it was BV) but I don't have any other pain besides really light cramps occasionally.

My only issue with the nexplanon is that it moved in my arm, a lot. I'm fat so I'm concerned about it not working in the first place but it's been fine so far, I take a cheapo pregnancy test on the first of every month because ~anxiety~. It's just that, uh, it slid down my arm about an inch during the healing process, and sort of rotated so I can only see and feel one tip. I mean it still seems to work, and I can still feel it, but lmao @ my fat rear end. I'm sure it'll be a bitch to remove.

ama about surgical abortions with no sedation prior to 12wks!! :v:

snoo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I wouldn't recommend getting to the point where you'd need a termination procedure, it kinda sucks and is expensive without insurance. I'm very lucky to not only live in a state where they haven't completely gutted reproductive rights, but the Planned Parenthood clinic (where I also got my sweet nexplanon) is on a train/public transportation line so we had an easier time with the whole experience.

Husband (then-fiancé) and I hosed up, and honestly it was a terrifying feeling. He and I were 23 and 20 at the time, respectively. We were both really scared because we didn't have money or anything, but we don't want kids now or anytime soon so we were absolutely fine with an abortion. His parents helped out with the cost because they're nice. I confided in my younger brother and he came along with us for support.

I don't enjoy sedation; I've had it once for heart surgery and once for wisdom teeth. The clinic said that the earliest appointment they could make would be a day where they didn't have a sedation technician on site, and it would just be local anesthesia. I was fine with that, it was cheaper anyway. I don't think I would've 'qualified' for it, but I didn't want to take the ~RU-486~, the 'abortion pill', because I wasn't entirely comfortable with doing it at home. I wanted it all gone at once.

We took the train down and I filled out some paperwork, got a bit of counseling ('are you being pressured into this' 'are you in a safe situation' etc.) and also discussed birth control options. They do a lot of prep beforehand. Lots of questions!! My state doesn't require a waiting period or anything, but they performed an ultrasound to determine the 'age', a little over ten weeks, and to make sure there aren't any other issues. Planned Parenthood doesn't have abortion services past ~12 - 13 weeks. They gave me an antibiotic and some painkillers beforehand. They start by injecting local anesthetic into the cervix, and it makes your ears ring. It's so weird. They dilate the cervix gradually.

The actual procedure was called vacuum aspiration. I could feel it a bit; it was more like mild menstrual cramps and a weird undulating sucking/pulling feeling, than pain. I don't think it took longer than 10 minutes to do the actual procedure. Most of it was prep and waiting, and then the aftercare to make sure they didn't gently caress up. We were there for about 6 hours.

They gave me a mirena IUD after the procedure, for free, since my cervix was already there, ready 2 go!! It ended up getting wonky and I had it removed months later, and honestly I had more complications with the IUD than I ever had with the abortion. They didn't actually provide a follow-up appointment and said to come back if something actually was wrong, and that kinda bothered me but I was okay.

Afterwards, we took the train back, and one of my close friends picked us up. We actually just went to trader joe's and hung out at their place for a couple of hours so I wouldn't have to be at my parents' house.

It was great to have people around who weren't lovely about this and actually made it easier, even amusing.

I'm extremely pro-choice, personally have no moral issues re: abortion, and want people to be allowed to make the decisions they're comfortable with, emotionally/mentally/finanically/etc., but I still had weird feelings months afterwards. Though it was less like 'I'm ashamed' and more like 'what if we couldn't have gotten this done??'. But any feeling people have after this kind of procedure, good or bad, is valid and sometimes it can be hard to think about. If you decide to have an abortion, I hope you can surround yourself with good people who support you and love you.

When I was in the room with the nice woman who was asking questions, I noticed that they have a lot of stuff on their office walls about what to do in case of a bomb threat or other violence. Goddamn.

(also it wasn't actually a surgical abortion and I hosed that up in my other post, sorry)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

KillHour posted:

I just don't trust oral birth control in general. 8% typical failure rate is really really high to me. And being on the market for a long time is a downside in my mind. To me, it means it's old technology and doesn't work as well as the latest and greatest. I don't know, I'm probably being paranoid, but if it came out a week ago and cost $1000/pill, I'd probably trust it more.

Afaik, the 'typical use' failure rate is usually because of mistakes/etc. the people taking it make, not the pill itself.

edit: drat it I should've refreshed :mad:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I know it's terrifying to have that chance of pregnancy (on both ends), even vasectomies and tubal ligations can fail. Having good communication with your partner and a plan in case BC fails is super important.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

My nexplanon slid way the gently caress down my arm within the first few weeks of having it (I can see/feel one end but it's moved completely from its original position) and I'm not looking forward to having it removed in ~2 years. :mad: It works fine, I'm surprised it works at all because I'm fat, but yikes

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I think it's different for everyone but mine disappeared after ~6 months of light spotting occasionally, it's so nice.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've had my nexplanon for a little over a year and I started spotting and cramping today :argh: gently caress

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it would definitely be uncomfortable but it shouldn't be a problem other than that. http://plannedparenthood.tumblr.com/post/43239326069/can-i-get-an-iud-if-i-havent-had-a-child etc.

good luck, I hope you can get one ASAP. :)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

just get an abortion beforehand like I did and then it doesn't hurt at all cos your cervix is already numbed and dilated

(I'm sorry you had to experience that :( I hope you feel better)

I wish the nexplanon lasted longer because it's a lot nicer than the IUD in some ways. less painful insertion, you don't have to check strings, just make sure it's still palpable in your arm, and if it shifts a little it still works. I haven't had a period in a year, either.

snoo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I had seen that it lasts for four years, too, a few months ago.

planned parenthood's regular website and their tumblr mentions 4 years, at least. they also say the mirena is good up to 6 years. :)

e: as a fat (despite losing weight and still losing more) I'll probably still try to get it replaced after three years, before I lose my dad's insurance when I turn 26.......... if that even exists by then.

• Locked thread