Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I had seen a lot of stuff when I googled about those effects, but nothing much as far as duration. It's been at least 3-4 months. Her gyno seems like an idiot from what she's told me and this is the second one she's been to since we've been together. I've been trying to prod her to go to another for a while now, but due to her experiences with those drs and the ring in generally, it's a really sore subject now.

Painful sex is a reason to go to a gyno. Period.

rainbow kittens posted:

Edit: My problem too is that while I've had SOME sex, I haven't had a whole lot (and not even since 2009), and so I'm quite tight.

Vaginas don't work like that. :P You're "tight" because you're (probably) not aroused and you're probably nervous. I don't have Nuvaring, but I do have an IUD whose strings I have to check. I find I can touch my cervix easier if I crouch down and keep my back straight. If I'm standing or laying down, it's always too far in for my fingers to reach.

Things like that always get easier with practice! The next time won't be as bad, now that you know what it feels like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Is it recommended to sit it out another week or so and see how it goes before scheduling a doctor's appointment?

Unfortunately, these things take time. A lot of it. The usual trial period is three months to see if the initial symptoms clear up or if they're going to stick around. twelve days isn't enough time for your body to adjust to the new influx of hormones.

quote:

Have I been bleeding longer/more than should be expected for a treatment that affects each woman so differently? Is the never-ending moderate period likely a side-effect of the all the stress I've been under lately rather than just blaming it on the birth control?

That level of bleeding is a possible side effect of hormonal birth control. The chances are pretty good that it'll cease after your period week. Stick it out for another week and take the ring out when you're scheduled to have it out and see what happens then.

quote:

Related: How does one have the least messiest sex possible during that (unending) time of the month? More of a hypothetical question, because the blood freaks out the boyfriend's boner away. :(

First, tell your boyfriend he's a stupid wimp face. :(

Shower sex might work for you, depending how squeamish he is. I also sometimes find lube makes the blood less visible; it's like the blood can't stick to anything. If you really wanted, you could try some of the soft menstrual cups. There's two kinds of menstrual cup: firm silicon cups like the Divacup, and thin cups that are more like condoms, like the Instead Softcup. The latter is designed so you can still have sex with it in.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Lixer posted:

Many people on the web seem to have experienced a pretty sizable weight gain (7-15lbs) with paragard, centering on the stomach area. I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but I was looking forward to losing some weight! Has anyone had this experience?

Uhh...

Weight gain isn't a side effect of copper IUDs. Ever. Anyone who gains weight on Paragard has only lifestyle changes to blame, or possibly a side effect of coming off of another form of birth control. (E.g. if a hormonal birth control was making them nauseous, or the change/drop in hormones caused bloating (like bloating that can happen around your period)

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 17, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

silversiren posted:

What is the normal amount of time to have spotting or any kind of bleeding with birth control?

This is actually pretty common for women who skip their periods for many months in a row. At some point your uterus can just go, "THAT'S ENOUGH! I'M HAVING A PERIOD!" and the only way to fix the breakthrough bleeding is to take a placebo week or wait it out. I don't know if you are able to take a placebo/period week since you're skipping periods for a medical reason, so it would be something to talk to your doctor about.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Budget Bears posted:

EDIT: I actually have one more question. As I mentioned, I just recently started on the patch, and I'm approaching my first "no patch" week. If I want to have sex during my no patch week, do we have to use condoms? I understand that no-patch week is when I'll get my period so I probably won't be having sex anyway but I'm mostly just curious if I'm still protected during that week or not.

You are still protected during your off-patch week, as long as you put on your next patch as scheduled (after seven days) :D

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Little Ghost posted:

It is now about 8 hours later, and I finally got around to reading the directions, and they say that I should start the ring on the first day of my cycle, but I'm actually about a week away from my period. I feel like an idiot, but she really made it seem like I was good to go today, and now I am super confused about what to do. Should I leave it in? Take it out? Will removing it so quickly have any negative effects? Can I store this ring for a week till my period starts, or will that ruin it?

You can start hormonal birth control at any point in your cycle. It's just that if you start on the first few days of your period, you're protected immediately; otherwise you have to use a backup for seven days. Starting on the first day of your cycle can also help prevent side effects like breakthrough bleeding/spotting, but it won't harm you or anything if you start another time. :)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

NaturalLow posted:

On the one hand, testosterone would most likely help your libido since that's part of what it does but on the other I too would worry about side effects. It seems like an odd first choice for something like this.

I had libido problems when I was on a really low dose pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo). I was switched to a version with a higher estrogen dose and my sex drive has been normal ever since. I'm not an expert and assuming you don't need to be on a super low dose of estrogen, but I would look into something like that first.

My understanding is that estrogen triggers testosterone production, while progesterone has a negative relationship with testosterone production. So, a low dose or a progestin-only pill has a higher chance of messing with libido because it has more progestin potency than estrogen potency.

I agree that it's weird to be prescribed testosterone, but it also seems like the doctor thought it was a temporary problem (since the prescription was only for a week and then "as needed"). From what I've gathered about other women's experiences with hormonal birth control, things like libido changes are often far from temporary. I, too, would recommend trying a new brand of pill.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

click click posted:

EDIT: Actually, I think I sperged too hard. Any info at all about the sponge + pulling out would be appreciated.

I don't know much about sponges, because they certainly have fallen out of favour (I suspect because spermicide itself has fallen out of favour), but I do know that pulling out when done right every time is actually quite effective. The main caveat is that the guy has to pee right before sex to flush out any sperm hanging around in the urethra. And you have to, you know, actually pull out. Which is why withdrawal has such a high typical use failure rate.

Personally, were I seeking a nonhormonal contraceptive that wasn't a copper IUD or condoms of any sort, I'd look into fertility awareness and combine that with withdrawal, abstinence and/or condoms at ovulation. Most other nonhormonal methods require some preparation before sex, and many of them aren't as effective without spermicide (which has downsides - such as yeast infections and irritation)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
My grandmother had an old generation of a copper IUD and got pregnant with it. She said they left it in and it came out stuck to my aunt's arm when she delivered.

She was, understandably, against my getting an IUD, heh. The whole thing is an unfortunate problem with IUDs - at least they have a very low failure rate.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I'm guessing it just expelled at the same time as there was no particular reason for the IUD to stay in the uterus with a dilated cervix and all the movement of delivering a baby... not that it was attached to the baby in any way.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I'm in New Brunswick and I paid $120 for my Nova-T copper IUD when I picked it up from the pharmacy. (Insertion at my family doctor was covered, it was just the IUD itself I had to pay for) I didn't ask about the hormonal IUD, so I don't know the price there.

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 28, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Hormonal birth control has quite a few more potential side effects than what's listed on their packet info and what most doctors will mention (they tend to only discuss those side effects that are also listed by manufacturers), though I've always thought abdominal pain was on the list.

Personally, I would get the hell off an estrogen-containing pill just for the smoking factor alone. There are still several effective birth control methods that don't include estrogen.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Gutless Wonder posted:

So i was tentatively hopeful about the copper IUD, and felt like I could deal with some heavy periods for a while if it meant the end of baby/blood clot/stroke anxieties. And money isn't an issue here either. But after reading so many people in this thread saying things like "THANK GOD i'm getting that poo poo taken out of me, it was awful" and "Man, I'm sick of bleeding constantly" that i started to get really worried! I mean, does anyone have a normal happy account of using a copper IUD?? I was under the impression that "heavier periods" meant "using heavier tampons and dealing with more cramps," not "bleed all day every day" which is what it's sounding like. :ohdear:

I can't recall anyone complaining about constant bleeding while on the paragard; are you sure you're not confusing it with the hormonal IUD, the mirena?

I have a copper IUD (currently 21, no kids, monogamous relationship, have had it for four years) and I absolutely love it. I only get minor cramps right before my period, my period only lasts about two-three days of moderate/heavy bleeding (and then it turns off like a tap, haha), my boyfriend can't feel the strings... it's been a great experience and I'll definitely re-up in a few years.

It definitely gave me bad cramps and heavier bleeds for a while (about a year) but it was totally worth it to me. I 100% prefer those symptoms to hormonal BC symptoms.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I know some women have lots of spotting or breakthrough bleeding on the Mirena (though I think this side-effect eventually goes away). I also know from personal experience that a copper IUD can make your periods longer by a couple days, but it's not what I would describe as "constant."

Things can certainly be a little wonky right after insertion, but tends to settle down after a month or two.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

lou reed posted:

It sounds like her doctor is inexperienced with IUDs. Is going to a different provider an option?

I'd also recommend finding a different provider. The risk of complications (perforation, PID and expulsion) are much higher with an inexperienced practitioner, and old-school doctors who only insert for women who've had children, etc, tend to fall on the inexperienced side. It turns out the risk of PID probably isn't connected with STIs or the presence of the IUD at all, but from doctors not using proper sterilization during insertion.

And... WTF at condescending and making fun of her? What the poo poo is that? "Yea, gently caress this silly bitch who wants a long-term, no-maintenance, highly effective birth control with far fewer potential side effects than any comparatively effective methods."?

It is true that she will bleed a lot more on her periods for a while - they will likely be longer, heavier and cramp-ier for several months after insertion - but that does go away for most women. After about a year or a year and a half after my insertion, my periods went down to about three days of moderate/heavy bleeding with cramps on only the first and last days, and those aren't bad if I get some ibuprofen in me. But that's the only side effect! I don't get any spotting, my sex drive is completely normal, there is no risk of blood clots, no depression (caused by my birth control, at least), I never have to worry about missing a pill. I absolutely love it.

The only other side effect to be aware of is a higher risk of a pregnancy being ectopic (if you happen to get pregnant.) The risk of a pregnancy being ectopic works out to be about the same chance of a woman having an ectopic pregnancy if she's not using any birth control. It's just that, of pregnancies conceived while using an IUD, a higher than normal number of them end up being ectopic.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

lou reed posted:

I've had a Paragard a little over six months. My periods so far have been heavy and between 5-8 days, this one was considerably lighter and 3/4 days. I know it's common for periods to improve over time with the paragard, but it this normal? Truth be told the stronger cramps and the heavier bleeding were a little reassuring, since I felt that if it was giving me grief, it was working. I checked it and everything feels fine - should I be worried that there was such a dramatic improvement in a month's time?

This happened to me, too. I got a period about a year after insertion that was whole days shorter and had fewer cramps. Then I think the next one was the usual length and pain... so figured it was a fluke. Then all my following periods were short and less painful and then they kept getting shorter and less cramp-y and I realized it was going to remain like that. It happened very suddenly for me, too. I don't think there is anything to worry about. Just check that your strings are still in place, and welcome the shorter period. :)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

bobz0r posted:

MYGIRLFRIEND's IUD seems to be poking the top of my dick when we have sex. It can be very uncomfortable as the positions she gets the most pleasure from seem to cause the contact (her on top, missionary). I'm not necessarily the largest man in that regard but I have to tell you guys, it doesn't feel good. I can't really continue if it pokes really hard and she obviously doesn't feel great about poking my dick with a copper wire. I'm also finding small bumps around my glans that indicate a kind of poking after feeling this contact. She wants to get it removed but I know it is a costly process and it seems to be working for her other than this issue. I've read up on IUD coils and I'm going to suggest her to ask her gyno to maybe trim the wire just a little bit. If any of you have any suggestions or insight you could offer me my junk would greatly appreciate it.

How long has she had the IUD? It's common for the strings to be stiff at first and then become soft and eventually spend most of the time curled around the cervix and out of the way. Cutting the strings short can be worse in the long run, because the strings remain too short to curl out of the way and end up being just the ends sticking out of the cervix leading to frequent pokes. Perhaps that's what's happened.

She can ask about getting the strings cut to always stay behind the cervix, and that should solve the poking issues, but then she wouldn't be able to check the strings for IUD placement and could make removal more difficult. But it might be worth it to ask.

By the way, the strings aren't copper; they're kind of like fishing line. :P

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Sir Davey posted:

Is it normal for my girlfriend, who is on the pill (Qlaira), to have no-blood periods every now and then? We've been together for 6 months now and every time she misses a period, we get really nervous waiting for the next one. This is the second time this has happened. Because of that, she wants me to wear a condom every time starting today.

Not to be selfish and all, but, you know, I'd rather not wear a condom every time we have sex... that's what the pill is for.

Not bleeding at period time is a fairly common side effect of hormonal birth control. Another common cause of skipped periods is stress, frustratingly enough. External stress or anxiety can prevent a period or make it late, and even anxiety surrounding a late period can make you miss it.

You can keep some cheap pregnancy tests around if it will help reduce her anxiety; I think a few ladies here have mentioned that's what they do when they miss a period while on birth control. I bought a pack of twenty or so tests online for around $5 just for fun, heh. It's better than waiting a whole month.

She could also consider a different form of birth control that has less chance of user error if she isn't comfortable with her pills. But she is right - the easiest way of getting peace of mind and further reducing the risk of pregnancy is the use of condoms. In the end, you just have to respect that. You're not the one the baby grows inside. ;)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Soul Reaver posted:

How much worse is the cramping? Are we talking going from painful to debilitating here?

This is hard to say, as it depends so much on personal pain tolerance. For me, I'd say the most painful period cramps just became more common rather than the cramps at any point got more painful.

Soul Reaver posted:

Why exactly were they only approved for women without kids? Is there a (real) risk of being rendered infertile? Or does using it once permanently reduce fertility?

Having given birth at least once makes the insertion easier, and there is a lower risk of expulsion in women who have given birth. There is no increased risk of infertility.

quote:

What is the advantage of the Mirena over a copper IUD though? Seeing as how crappily she reacted to hormone-related stuff in the past, I'm a bit reluctant to try something that isn't as easy to stop as it is to stop taking a pill.

Shorter, lighter periods on the hormonal IUD versus longer, heavier, crampier ones on the copper. The hormonal IUD is very slightly more effective against pregnancy. The copper IUD is approved for several more years than the hormonal IUD. Possible chance of hormonal side effects - both good and bad - with the hormonal IUD; no extra side effects with the copper IUD other than cramping/bleeding.

I think that's about it?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

The Peacock posted:

How soon will the Nova-T be effective? I will ideally get it on day 5 of my period, but if that falls on a weekend, either I need to use my last NuvaRing, or go without any contraceptive until insertion.

Copper IUDs are one of the few contraceptives that are effective immediately, and they are even used as emergency contraception, so you could technically go without contraception if you wanted to and the risk of pregnancy wouldn't be that high... but if the insertion is later than seven days after you remove your Nuvaring, I would recommend using another form of contraceptive just to be absolutely sure. Condoms would be sufficient.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Eggplant Wizard posted:

There is an idea that theoretically the suction of the cup could pull out the IUD. I'm not sure if that's ever actually happened to anyone. At any rate, I use a Diva with my Mirena, and I just make sure to break the seal with my finger before I yank it out.

A fairly recent study done on IUDs found that menstrual cup users didn't have an increased risk of expulsion than pad or tampon users (within the first two months after insertion, which is the critical period).

(link)

It's exciting because it's the only study to be done on IUDs and menstrual cups. :D

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 6, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
^ hehe, you beat me!

Estrogen is the hormone you need to reliably suppress your periods, and a lack of estrogen is one of the triggers for a period. That's why progesterone-only pills don't have a placebo week; they don't put any estrogen in your body and so don't suppress your natural menstrual cycle so you can take them even during your period. Implanon doesn't have any estrogen, thus no clockwork period regulation. The bleeding that occurs on a progestin-only method is likely caused by more complex hormonal interactions.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Harry Privates posted:

I should clarify she's been using Nuvaring since June and it doesn't come out til the 25th. The reason I was concerned was because I had came earlier and didn't pee between and when we had sex I put it in for a little bit without a condom. So their may have been some still swimming around possibly. Usually we use a condom so its fine but this time afterwords I forgot I hadn't pissed between when I came the first time and having sex the second time.

As Kerfuffle said, Nuvaring is designed to be the only contraceptive being used, and it has a very low failure rate, even completely ignoring the second forms of birth control (pulling out and condoms)

I'd say, in this situation, that Plan B isn't needed; the risk of pregnancy is almost inconceivably low, and Plan B is pretty stressful on a woman's body.

And, I could be reading too much into "and it doesn't come out til the 25th," but she's still protected from pregnancy during the seven days the ring is out, providing she has been using it correctly for the three weeks before.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Jizzy Q posted:

So, I looked and couldn't find too much about this. Sorry if I maybe missed it or something though.

I've been taking the Nuvaring for about two years, or maybe a little over that now. It's been working really well until recently. I've already called up for an appointment but it's still a few weeks from now [and that's the earliest I could get.]

Last month I was a day late putting the ring back and I ended up not having a period at all. I spotted a really little bit, but that's it. I freaked out, took a test, it was negative. I was not late this month with putting it back in, but the same thing is going on, just a little spotting. Like, barely even noticeable, spotting for one day. I'm worried again but don't really know if I should be. It's also been hard with dealing with the symptoms. Normally I get cramps up until my period starts, but well, I'm still having bad cramps, been overly emotional and depressed, and all that other yucky poo poo. It did stop for a bit when I put my ring in last month, but this month it's a lot worse and I just don't know what I can do until I can get to the clinic.

Am I still just over reacting though? I can't tell, but I also haven't really been able to find anything with anyone else having the same issue. I was even late a long time ago on putting my ring back in but I just had a really heavy period that month.

Hmm. Well, having very light periods (or none at all) is actually every common on hormonal birth control, and tends to get more likely the longer you use it. It' s also potentially caused by stress, which is something to keep in mind.

Sudden appearance of other symptoms like unusually bad cramping, moodiness and depression is odd, after using a method for so long, but it's possible your body just "decided" it was going to be a bitch with the ring for a while. As far as I know, it's not a sign of anything medically wrong (good on you for taking the pregnancy test, by the way).

I would contact your doctor and discuss your options. (Edit: I missed that you already made an appointment.) If you're not sexually active, or you can use another form of birth control, you could try removing the ring for a few months to see if the depression/moodiness stop. Those in particular could be caused by other factors, but hormonal BC is a good place to start since it's so easy to eliminate.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

fine-tune posted:

No cup for the first cycle after insertion, correct?

Recent retrospective study of 1000 women found that there isn't a significantly higher risk of expulsion in the first two months (the most critical time period) for cup users versus tampon or pad users.

So, basically, there's no evidence to suggest a cup will increase the risk of expulsion, but the news hasn't really gotten out yet. Some doctors still tell you not to use tampons, even.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

My Little Puni posted:

Well gently caress, so that post earlier about being on atibiotics while taking BC...yeah...I'm thinking I'm pregnant now, even though we were extra careful the times we had sex and even without protection he pulled out. I've been spotting for the past few days and peeing all the loving time. poo poo...Time to go get a test.

Moral of the story, be really really loving careful while taking antibiotics, or just don't have sex

Planned Parenthood states the only antibiotic that can (edit: is proven to) interfere with the effectiveness of hormonal birth control is rifampin. The idea that all antibiotics can decrease BC's effectiveness is, I think, left over from decades ago when the medical community wasn't sure and wanted to play it on the safe side.

Peeing more frequently and spotting can be caused by plenty of other things. Don't convince yourself you're pregnant before you take a test! Best of luck!

PS In your history in this thread you seem to be very anxious about getting pregnant. Have you considered looking into another form of birth control that doesn't have such a high chance of user error? You may be more comfortable on another method!

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 14, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

NaturalLow posted:

(2) I know the copper IUD tends to make periods worse for a while and I tend to get bad cramps anyway. Does the extra pain/heavy bleeding thing go away eventually or should I steer clear? And I guess for that matter, did Mirena have any side effects?

(I'm not in the US, so can't help you on the first point)

For me, I think the extra bleeding/cramping went on for a bit longer than most people experience. IIRC, it was about a year to a year and a half when my periods started getting shorter again, and several months (maybe about 6?) before the cramping calmed down. Now I have a normal length period (Two or three days of moderate/heavy, a couple days of light/spotting) and the only time I get any cramps is the day before and the day after my period. They can be painful, but a ibuprofen kicks their rear end.

During the heavy bleeding phase, I'd bleed heavily for four-five days, and I'd have a few days of painful cramps (still some cramping even after extra strength ibuprofen). BUT, up to the point that I got my IUD in, my periods were always long and heavy like that. In fact, it's currently the lightest it's ever been, so I suspect a lot of that might have just been my age rather than the IUD.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Budget Bears posted:

I read online that women who use emergency contraceptives frequently can experience irregularity with their periods and it made me wonder if my taking it right before my period could have delayed it in some way?

It's not just a potential side effect... it's probably the number one most common side effect of hormonal emergency contraception. I really wish EC producers would have that as a nice, big warning on the inserts, because it would save a lot of women a lot of stress.

Your menstrual cycle is governed entirely by your hormone levels. Flooding your body with extra hormones will mess with your menstrual cycle. Depending where you were in your cycle, you could see an early or late period, a heavy or light period, different PMS symptoms... and there are lucky women who see no changes at all.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Between this thread and the last, I can't remember a single lady goon who used a contraceptive sponge. It's really not a popular option, because it uses spermicide (which many women have reactions to), has to be inserted before sex and is still not very effective. Probably, the things you were asking about (sponge moving, sperm escaping) are situations that contribute to the high failure rate.

If you were to combine it with pulling out every single time you had sex, that would decrease the failure rate accordingly. (In this case, your primary means of contraception would be withdrawal, with the sponge as a backup.)

You could also practice a menstrual tracking method; either the easier calendar method or the more involved FAM which tracks basal temperature, cervical mucus and/or other symptoms to determine when she is (you are?) ovulating. But, it takes a fair amount of effort and time. I've been tracking my menstrual cycle for a few months now out of interest (not for contraceptive purposes) and it's really easy to forget to take a temperature reading in the morning, etc, and you need several cycles of data before it becomes a reliable method. (I can't recall any lady goons who use the calendar method or FAM as a contraceptive, either.)

Really, the only nonhormonal method that can compare to hormonal methods in terms of failure rates and convenience is the copper IUD. I've had a copper IUD for four years, and have never regretted it or wanted to use a different method. Though, some people can't get past the idea of having something in their uterus. :P

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

zonohedron posted:

I used FAM to postpone pregnancy for almost four years. (The first cycle I didn't abstain during my fertile period was the cycle I got pregnant.) If I didn't have religious reasons behind choosing that method, though, it would have been a lot harder to stick with it than it was.

That's really neat! I think it's a great method because you learn so much about your body and female fertility along the way. It does seem to take a while to get into the habit of gathering that info every single day... and having to abstain or use condoms for a week or whatever can be a hassle for some people, but I personally think it would be a good fit for a lot of people who would otherwise not use contraception or are unhappy/worried about their non-hormonal contraception.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

2508084 posted:

Gross, but maybe important? Her discharged blood was so dark that it looked black. As she put it, "like when a baby first shits after its born." Her daughter initially thought she had poo poo herself or something.

I don't have any period-talk resources, but just wanted to mention that super dark brown or almost black discharge is pretty normal for when girls first start getting their periods. (I remember around grade seven I would get sticky dark brown/black discharge on a monthly basis, and then after a few cycles it finally turned red and more liquid.)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

azerdude32 posted:

I feel as though it should be okay considering how strict she is with taking her birth control, combined with the fact that it (read: birth control) is pretty much 99% effective and the whole point behind taking birth control (aside from period regulation) is to make getting pregnant almost impossible. How safe/un-safe is the idea of not pulling out? I guess I'm asking if it's okay to not pull out considering the above information. Please feel free to educate me (yes, I know the consequences can lead to kids)

TIA goons!

The pill is a highly effective form of contraception when used correctly (basically, when taken every day). Less than 1% of women using only the pill (correctly) as contraception will get pregnant over a year.

It really is intended to be the sole form of birth control, and the chances are very high that the two years you have been having sex with your girlfriend, all the pregnancy prevention was handled by the pill. The only time that pulling out would contribute to pregnancy prevention is in the very slim chance that her birth control failed and she ovulated, and you had sex at around that time.

No one who knows anything about contraception is going to call you irresponsible or stupid or anything, because the pill -taken correctly- is so effective. Whether you use a back-up method (pulling-out, condoms, whatever) is really a personal preference. Some people can't help but feel anxious if they don't use a visible, secondary form of birth control, even when the secondary birth control is less effective than their primary method.

I've relied on "just" my IUD for almost four years now, and I'm completely comfortable with that. My boyfriend and I know what we will do if I do somehow end up pregnant (while the chances are extremely small, no contraception is 100% effective), and having a plan really helps any anxiety I might feel.

That might not help you decide, but no one can tell you if you should or shouldn't - that depends on your comfort level (and your girlfriend's, obviously) and current situation.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
As far as I know, having a high pain threshold doesn't affect whether you're likely to have a vasovagal reaction during IUD insertion. It seems like extreme reactions like that are effectively random.

I don't think having a painful/scream-tastic insertion affects the chances of expulsion, at least! As long as the doctor is confident that there was no puncture, and you feel no unusually strong pain, you don't have to worry about it for many years!

uberwekkness posted:

So is applying some things to numb the cervix not a universal thing? I hear both people getting numbing spray (and gel maybe?), like when I got it, but then I hear stories like the above and it makes me wonder.

I don't remember my insertion too vividly, but I don't think I was given a numbing agent.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If you have been having issues for that long though lambeth, I might be inclined to try going hormone free for a couple of months and see what happens. I don't know if BC can have an effect on yeast etc. but it seems worth a go. Also, I hope your partner is also being treated for it, because he could easily be passing the yeast infection back to you without it affecting him.

I've been wrestling with recurring yeast infections, and getting my partner treated at the same time as myself has been an uphill battle. My doctor at my school's clinic flat-out refused to believe that yeast infections could be transmitted to and carried by men, and when I went to an actual gyno, he said that my partner would have to show symptoms and test positive for yeast before any prescription treatments could be given to him.

Thank god for OTC Diflucan... it's really awkward to keep the creams on boy bits.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Pfizer has recalled several lots of "Lo/OvralŽ-28 And Norgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets" due to "possibility of inexact tablet counts or out of sequence tablets" (press release) The press release has a list of the affected lots.

They're saying you should return any packs you have to your pharmacy, notify your doctor, and immediately begin using another form of contraception.

I hope no one reading has been affected!

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Thello posted:

So, the unexpected happened. Despite using the pill at a fairly consistent basis, my girlfriend is pregnant. We don't know exactly what went wrong, but she was very sick from a recent trip in Cuba and was on antibiotics. We probably should have been more careful.

I'm also very sorry to hear this. If she was experiencing vomiting or diarrhea that could have affected the absorption of the pill's hormones. (Most antibiotics don't affect hormonal contraception.) Even when you're a perfect user there is still a chance of failure, so don't be too hard on yourself. Our bodies are designed to get pregnant after all.

I'll second the suggestion to see couples and/or individual counselling if either of you are distressed. (Just don't visit a "crisis pregnancy center!") Best of luck to you both, I hope everything turns out okay.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

aherdofpenguins posted:

Can anyone give me any help on this? Is this normal?

It's probably just spotting, and it's a completely normal reaction to hormonal birth control. Usually it stops after the first period; sometimes it can go on for longer. The first three months on hormonal birth control can have odd side effects; usually these side effects go away by the third month. If it doesn't go away after two or so cycles, she could tell her doctor, and her doctor would probably give her another brand of pills to try.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

RazorBunny posted:

Does anyone use a period tracker app for their phone or tablet that they would recommend? The one I've been using doesn't actually adjust the calculations based on your actual periods, which I didn't realize. I can change the number of days it uses to tell me when my next period will be, but that means sitting down and calculating out all the ones I've recorded previously. What I'd really like is an app that says "oh, your last cycle was 21 days, and the one before that was 24, let's average that and predict the next one that way" or some such.

Otherwise I'll just go back to writing it down in the back of a notebook like I did in college, I guess.

I use Ovuview on Android, and I really like it. there's a free version and a paid version. The free version tracks the same data, but it doesn't let you see some of it. The paid version also has a widget! (My boyfriend is a data addict, and he bought the paid version, while I use the free version on my phone.)

It takes all previous cycles into account when predicting both your ovulation and your period. You can even select to exclude certain cycles, if your body freaked out one month for no reason. If you're tracking other things like cervical mucous/discharge, cervix position, and basal temperature, it takes those into account too! It uses a combination of different methods, depending what info you give it. It's very comprehensive, easy to use, and it's also quite pretty to look at!

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

UO2 posted:

Is anybody aware of a "comparison" of the size of the various copper IUDs? I understand that only Paragard is available in the US, but there seems to be ~12 different models from various manufacturers available in the UK - some of which are allegedly smaller than the "one-size fits all" Paragard.

This is the first time I've heard anything to that effect. (Though I'm not surprised since a lot of information about BC is American-based.) Personally, I doubt that the size differences are anything besides brand differentiation. Sorry I can't point you in the right direction, but let us know if you find anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Azrael Engel posted:

- Probably won't fit as I am 5'2", 100 lbs, and have never had a kid

I'm pretty sure body size has little to do with the size of your uterus, so I wouldn't worry about this.

• Locked thread