Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
A good number of posts in the old thread, even from regulars, in there were posts asking for reassurance about their particular situation.

And we're here to help our lady goon friends not be assholes to them. It's just an organized quick check guide for anyone who has questions they may not want to post about. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

showbiz_liz posted:

So they always say "before having unprotected sex, get tested." But how exactly does that work? Where do you go? Do you need an appointment? What's the turnaround? Can somebody just walk me through the whole procedure, from the initial conversation to getting the results? I've never had to deal with this but I might soon.

I believe planned parenthoods do hiv/std/etc testing. Not all of them have the same services, but you can call and ask the ones near you if they do. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer anything for you.

e: better yet they have a big Q&A laid out about it

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/stds-hiv-safer-sex/hiv-testing-19857.htm

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 18, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Ask your pharmacist. Hell, any pharmacist. This is their area. They'll be able to tell you if you shouldn't take it and can possibly suggest a better option for your joints if it's not compatible. Don't take it until you're sure, stop if you're taking it already.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It's very possible. Especially if going off the birth control was the only thing that changed. It's not uncommon, but side effects vary from person to person.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DrNutt posted:

Also, I didn't see much on weight gain in the op, but it's one of the most common concerns I deal with (sadly).

Extreme weight gain via water weight isn't fake though. In the last thread someone gained an alarming amount of water weight in just a few days, and dropped it quickly after stopping the birth control.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I believe that % is the amount of failure of perfect use out of 100 people, over the course of a year. Sterilization like essure has a failure rate because of the risk eptopic pregnancies.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

cheese eats mouse posted:

I've been on the NuvaRing for almost 3 years now and despite the $40 a month I pay I swear by it.
Seriously check out the $15 off coupon in the OP.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Word. :( I wish there was a generic version or something, but Nuvaring seems like one of those cases where that just isn't going to happen.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yea I saw that. Maybe now I can get back on it since I stopped for money reasons. I wouldn't have known without you guys.

If money is an issue seriously go to PP or something, you'll get it for a lot less than $25 I'm sure.

What horrible insurance you have though, jesus. Mine is $25 with insurance and that is still entirely too much for monthly birth control.

fake edit: I have too many posts :qq:

real edit: Lie about having insurance if you go to PP, you won't get in trouble or anything, and paying $40 a pop for it you may as well not have any.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 22, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The only thing that would affect you if the formula changed would be the hormone dosage. Which isn't too likely to have changed, and if it did, information about it would be openly and easily available.

You'll probably be ok if it worked out fine for you once, but birth control is a little unpredictable when it comes to period skipping so just keep that in mind. :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Anyone know if my gynecologist would give me huff if I had essure done but still wanted to be on birth control too? I'm also worried my insurance company would just flat out no cover it.

Regular lightened periods are so nice..:(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Planned Parenthood is there for situations like yours. It's completely confidential. So if your girlfriend wants to get on birth control, she can go there for it. Depending on the birth control, she can a generic form of it (same effectiveness as brand name) but for a whole lot cheaper.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It's far more likely that people just aren't using protection at all, along with the high chance that your school only teaches abstinence am I right?

You can both go in and ask anything you want. Remember they're there to help you out. :) Not rat you out for trying to be responsible. Also, if you're -really- worried and -really- can't afford an abortion, (the abortion pill is from what I've heard, physically brutal* and it doesn't come cheap) use two kinds of protection.

*I guess you wouldn't quite know but apparently it's like the worst period cramps of your life plus overwhelming nausea, but they give you meds to curb that thankfully.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Unrelated but I have a good image for the OP :3:

because it ownsownsowns

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I swear to god someone in the previous thread had a very similar problem, but I don't think it was daily. Is your doctor your GP or your OBGYN? Sometimes regular doctors aren't quite as aware of certain side effects.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Lackadaisical posted:

I'd just like to say that this method is how I was conceived.

Ahaha so was my brother. My mom had me because she didn't think she could get pregnant for months or something after she quit taking birth control. Oh mom.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Namirsolo posted:

It's too bad we don't have an equivalent of vasectomies (out patient surgery and reversible).

Essure is this pretty much except all your stuff still works.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Eat a lot of yogurt? v:shobon:v

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Tell them what side effects you were having that were bothering you. They'll be able to recommend you better options.

Just remember that if you feel like the side effects are really bothering you before the 3 month "trial" period, just quit taking it and try for something else. Some side effects aren't worth trudging through. Especially emotional ones.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

ann disaster posted:

Is the other shoe going to drop soon? :ohdear:

Like EPW said, chill out. :) And don't stress about worrying about side effects either. Your body can start feeling "fake" side effects from you worrying about getting real ones.

You have birth control that works well for you, enjoy it!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
No hormonal birth control can promise not to have side effects from the hormones.

Any reason you're strictly ruling out depo?

As for your side effect questions, no one can say. Your GP/OBGYN can recommend you birth control based on the side effects you're worried about, and you can go through trial and error. There's no good way of knowing what will be perfect for you and what won't.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I've heard nothing but horror stories about depo, cuz the the insane level of hormonal spiking every few months. Weight gain, moodiness, periods lasting months, etc. I definitely want none of that.
Maybe mirena though... Any ladies here experienced bad side effects with mirena?

Like I said, the side effects that other people experienced are not relevant to you. Side effects vary from person to person.

Since you want something low maintenance and longterm Mirena is probably a good choice to look into. But depo is just as viable as an option.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
There are plenty of birth controls that can clear up acne and most hormonal birth control have the goal of lighter easier periods in mind. Definitely see your obgyn and try something else, that sounds awful. Since you're good at taking pills there's a lot of options for you to try. Your symptoms might be the hormone dosage or just your reaction to that particular pill. Hopefully your next birth control attempt will go better. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Bagleworm posted:

Can someone explain what's up with the anti-Planned Parentood stuff in the States right now? Did it pass in house and is now going through Senate? Is that how it works?

Is there any way to override this?
I've been reading that thread about it in gbs everyday. The last I saw it had enough yes votes to pass in the house. :sigh:

The Senate has to reject that poo poo.

It has to.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Showtime! posted:

Weird, I was supposed to skip it but it decided to come anyway. Here's to hoping that it goes away by the weekend. :(

Sadly it's part of the risk of stacking pills. But it isn't uncommon for that to happen even if you don't skip. Periods can often be triggered early by stress and such.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Was there a chart or a site posted in the last thread that showed which birth controls use similar hormones or something? I can't remember if it's real or if I'm making it up.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I don't even know how to respond to you. So she goes to the doctor? Who cares. She's not doing what he's advising, which is just as bad. What do you think a bunch of internet girls are going to help you with? That's my point. She has too much going on for any of us to help her. Especially when she won't listen to her real doctor.

Yeah there's not much anyone can do if your wife is too stuck in her opinions to want to help herself first. She needs a different kind of help.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Paraguard and depo aren't the same thing? :psyduck:

I think she's just mentioning them together as low maintenance birth controls that have minimal user error.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Seriously?

who cares the point of her question was obvious

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

It sounds like she's asking why their perfect use and typical use failure rates are different (e.g. Depo: 99.7% efficacy for perfect use; 97% efficacy with typical use) . There are many reasons why these would be different. For example, you're supposed to get the Depo shot every 12-14 weeks, but you forget your appointment and get it injected 16 weeks after your last shot (2 weeks late). Bam, you just went from perfect use to typical use.

Is it really as stretched as 12-14 weeks? I thought it was more stringent, but I assumed people set up appointments to go again after each shot.

And just wondering, would the whole 3 months be at the typical use rate?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by your second question though, could you elaborate a bit more?
It is a bit awkwardly worded isn't it?

I'm asking like if you got the shot late enough for it to be reduced in effectiveness (97%) would the entire 3 months that the depo lasts be at that same level of protection? Or would it just be the first week or something?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Geolicious posted:

I wonder if men would take it? They seem to have this whole ego-type thing tied up with their perceived virility. I know some guys would, but I could see some men putting up the same fuss as they do about a vasectomy.

I asked my guy about a vasectomy and got the whole "no way not my junk" thing. But I mentioned tubal ligation for me and it's all "yeah go for it if you can find a doc". :rolleyes: But, this is really the only subject that my guy is "typical" on.

Understandably, there are permanent awful side effects that can occur with vasectomies. I asked my SO and I respect his justifiable fear of being in permanent pain. I wouldn't do it either, regardless of how unlikely the chances.

Tubal ligation is a serious surgery too, which neither of us support getting done so v:shobon:v.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I know someone who doesn't bother with her placebo week, and just starts the new cycle anew every time, without waiting. I.e she just does a 3-week cycle with actives every day ad infinitum. She's been doing this since December.

I don't know enough about the pill to be able to give details (I'm a bloke) but I would have figured that was a stupidly bad idea. To skip placebos is one thing, but to skip the week-long cooling off period and just overload your body week in week out strikes me as dumb.

lol she's just skipping periods

If you were a lady, and didn't get any annoying side effects from pill stacking and didn't get periods because of it, would you stack?

Birth control is advertised to be "period control" anyway. Seriously, look for it next time you see a commercial for any birth control.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

spatula posted:

WOW!!!

Why the gently caress did the price of the Nuvaring go up ridiculously at Walmart? I used to pay ~$36 with coupon, but it now costs me $60+ after the $15 off coupon. So it's like $75 without insurance/discounts now. This poo poo is insane.

I'm calling up Planned Parenthood tomorrow because I know I can probably get this through them for cheaper even if I have to pay for an exam, but I'm really hoping prices haven't gone up across the board... has anyone else experienced this?

AFAIK it's always been around that price everywhere else (CVS in my case), I guess Walmart decided to join the crowd. :( I got that same sticker shock when there was a mishap with my insurance about a year ago. Nuvaring needs a generic but it will never happen ugh. Hopefully PP can help you out though, good luck.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I guess here is a better place to ask than anywhere else. I got a new multivitamin recently. Unlike my old one, this one has iron. I've heard conflicting things about women taking iron, is there anything inherently bad about taking it or anything I should be aware of in terms of women health issues?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

How much iron is in each multivitamin?

How's your diet for iron-containing foods?

Vitamin says 18mg, and I wouldn't say too high. I think I get more iron from eating certain cereal and peanut butter than anything else.

Inle-rah posted:

What have you heard bad about taking iron? The main issue many women have with iron is that it can be constipating or sometimes hard on the stomach if you take it without food. A lot of doctors think that most women should take iron supplements...some birth control pills contain iron in the placebo week. If you notice yourself having constipation issues, just take a stool softener.

I think it's partly a leftover bad stigma and fear of iron poisoning I had as a kid (I was odd). Maybe I'm thinking of post-menopausal women too.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

lou reed posted:

Okay, I had someone tell me today she conceived despite being on Depo, using a condom (that broke) and taking emergency contraception within a day. I know no form of birth control is 100%... but if the Depo was current (didn't wait too long between shots or something) and the Plan B was taken within a reasonable time period, how possible is that, really?

extraordinarily low

Why would she use plan b if she was on depo though? Condoms with birth control I can understand people using if they're really paranoid or just have other reasons, but taking plan b while on an active birth control is kind of over the top. :raise:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DrNewton posted:

I am allergic to Lube. Nasty stuff it does to me.
What exactly in lube are you allergic to? There are some "vegan friendly" lubes out there that use seaweed as a base. Check out some sextoy sites and look for lubes, there's a lot more variety available there.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DrNewton posted:

I am surprised that somebody at a BC would tell me to use Vaseline. then again i once was told honey is a good substituted. *shrugs*

To answer peoples questions, as i said, it has to be all natural... or natural as you can get. The stuff you get a store is full of strange chemicals and perfume. Even if the lube says works for people with sensitivity I will still get a reaction.

I an not wear make-up or face creams. I can only use all natural soap for my body. I can't even use hand sensitizers.

I think this is the most natural one I know of:

Purified water, Plant Cellulose (from cotton), Cyamopsis (Guar Conditioners), Carrageegan, Nori & Wakame (Seaweed Extracts), Potassium Sorbate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I don't know why I didn't link the actual product in my post, if you're interested in trying it here's the linku: http://www.edenfantasys.com/sex-lubricants/water-based/sliquid-sea

• Locked thread