Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

SPACEMAN SAM posted:

That statement was meant for males. Wear condoms.

This is a predominantly female thread. :shobon: I also don't get why couples don't talk more actively about their birth control schedules. I tell my SO everything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fanky Malloons posted:

This is probably what it is. I've been on depo off and on for between 4 and 5 years, and every time I go off it I drop 12-15lbs with barely any effort. Meanwhile while I'm on it, it's a huge struggle to even maintain my weight at a certain level, never mind lose any. However, I suck at taking pills, so I kept going back to it because nobody would give me an IUD because I haven't popped any babies out yet.

BUT, apparently they've gotten more lenient about that 'recommendation' in my neck of the (Canadian) woods, so I now have an appointment to get a Mirena inserted on Wednesday. Now, I have a fairly high pain tolerance because I used to have some rough as hell periods, but my gyno was really insistent about the fact that insertion will be REALLY PAINFUL. Between a high pain tolerance and 800mg of advil pre-appointment, am I still gonna die? :ohdear:

Congratulations on your Mirena~ Good to see doctors finally getting with things elsewhere too. IUD users here just recommend taking some ibuprofen or whatever your preference is before you go in. Based on the trip reports I've read on here over last few years, it does hurt, but it's over with quickly. Good luck! :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
You're probably fine. If she's taking her birth control properly and on time without any mishaps, the chances of her being pregnant are slim. Break through bleeding and weird cycles are often part of the game with birth control, especially within the first 3 months. Hopefully after she's on her BC awhile her periods will shorten and be on a more regular schedule.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Flantastic posted:

Thanks so much! I feel really bad about it, but the directions aren't too harsh when you actually miss an entire pill, so I knew it couldn't be too bad.

You aren't alone. I once had a several hour stress out when I was ~10 whole minutes~ late for my new Nuvaring and came crying to this thread. :j:

it has to be perfect

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Helvetica Neue posted:

Now I am on day 13 and I have been spotting for the last 4 days. This is really weird for me, this never happens. It's not red either, it's much darker black/brown. What does this mean? I have had a regular cycle for so long, it's really freaking me out. Is spotting ever a sign of pregnancy..? :ohdear:

When this happens to me it's from stress. I use Nuvaring too fwiw.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Harry Privates posted:

So I'm a paranoid guy who doesn't want a child now or anytime in the near future. My girlfriend uses the Nuvaring, and I also wear condoms. Is using spermicidal condoms going to effect the Nuvaring in anyway? Am I being too cautious because I am already using 2 forms of birth control?

Spermicidal condoms actually do more harm than good and can irritate the bacterial balance in vaginas and cause yeast infections. Use regular condoms if you want the extra peace of mind for yourself though, no harm in it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My sex drive is pretty much neutral on Nuvaring, but I've also seen plenty of posters in the last thread that completely lost their sex drive from it. So yeah, give it a try, but try to not dwell on it too much or you might mentally shut yourself down without realizing it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've been meaning to ask this. If I ever switch birth controls it will probably be Mirena. But I've read pieces and parts of information over the years and sugguest Mirena is known to make your skin break out pretty bad. My skin is already prone to poo poo, and I have to take antibiotics yearly every winter because I'm sensitive to dry air. So I'm really apprehensive to take a chance on switching to it. :(

I guess I'm wondering if there's any known reason (other than "hormones") for why it makes people break out more than other hormonal birth controls, assuming it's true.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Haha, if it does, it probably won't be a huge change. But it's individual to the person. Worst case scenario you can just quit using it and they'll return to normal.

And in fact no~ PP is there to help you out. :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It varies, it's usually explained within the information packet that you get. If you look up the birth control on google, it probably has its own website that deals with commonly questions like that. I think it's typically switching to your new birth control after your off week of your old one is finished. Some women also like to just stop using the old one entirely first for a month or so.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Anyone have any bad experiences with Nuvaring? despite my girlfriend being off the Devil's Ring for a few months now, her libido is still all out of whack and it's almost always really painful for her. When the hell does this poo poo stop? Is there any kind of natural remedy?

Plenty have, but their experiences are irrelevant to your girlfriend's. She's probably still adjusting to going off hormones, but if symptoms persist or they're generally unbearable she should probably see her gynecologist.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Custard, echoing EW that Minera does sound like a better option for you. I love Nuvaring, but it sounds like you'd benefit from something that would eliminate or heavily lighten your periods with a nice low even hormone dose.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Not quite birth control, but I'm sure someone here has some insight. Does anyone know if those cranberry pills actually help prevent UTIs?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

people posted:

stuff
Thanks guys. I recently got a pretty severe one, and I honestly have NO IDEA how I got it because I'm careful about it. I noticed it 3 days ago, missed all the early symptoms, and couldn't get to a clinic until the following day and it worsened immensely overnight. I had a fever by the time I got to a clinic and they seemed surprised I felt as well as I did. :sigh:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That's weird, I'll exchange your awkward question for my own awkward answer. This feels ridiculous to say but try to REALLY shove it in there. :haw: I've had that happen once before when I put it in and I didn't get it in far enough for it to naturally sit back on it's own. May or may not be related, but if I recall that happened when I hadn't had sex in awhile since I was away from my SO for months at a time during school.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Grushenka posted:

I live in the UK, so no Planned Parenthood here. I dunno what the issue was--they said they wanted to make absolutely sure I wasn't pregnant before they insert an IUD, but when I came in and said, 'oh hey it's been three months and I'm not pregnant, so how 'bout that IUD?' she just went 'Oh okay so no problems with Cerazette? Here have another six months!' no matter how much I explained that I wanted a non-hormonal option.
:geno:

I'd find a new OBGYN. That's just seriously rude and unprofessional for them to completely disregard anything you say.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Lanthanum posted:

heeeelp
Concerning your hair loss, how bad is it? Hair sort of "cycles" and you'll lose a lot of hair sometimes and barely at all other times.

But if you are completely fed up with the bleeding (I'd have given up long before 3 months) I say get it taken out.:(

As for the ring, I have one "risk day" the night that I put the ring in, after the off week. On that day I'll either be violently ill (easily avoidable by not eating late that night), feel crappy all day, or be just fine. It seems dependent on how much sleep I get that night. Luckily if that risk day falls on an important date, I can simply leave in the ring in up to an extra week. :)

Other than that, I love it. I like having a physical thing reassuring that yes, my birth control is there and working. I've never had it fall out, I've been using it for 4 years. I've never stacked rings, and I had very light BTB when I tried out keeping the ring in for 4 weeks instead of 3.

hth~

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

Well, I took Planned Parenthood's birth control quiz and my only result was sterilization. :v: I'm nineteen and have had no childrens, this isn't an option for me. Hormones ruined me, so I'm considering a copper IUD sort of deal but am terrified about the risks. Any ladies willing to share stories about the procedure/effectiveness of this birth control?

Copper IUDs aren't for everyone, but they're great for who they do work for. If you have bad/heavy/painful periods normally, a copper IUD will make it worse. While it might not be a deal breaker, it's definitely something to be aware of.

And just wondering, how many/which hormonal birth controls have you tried? Sometimes one can be TERRIBLE and another will be The Best Thing Ever.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If I'm understanding your concern correctly, birth control makes a lot of women wetter in general. If it's like a ridiculous ton more or it has suspicious characteristics that's a possible concern, but just general extra wetness is pretty much normal on birth control for many.

Non-hormonal birth controls as far as I know, don't have a direct effect on yeast levels.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Just a warning about Mirena though, since many women experience this problem. But depending on the shape of your vagina and the shape of your partner's penis, the plastic strings can poke the head of the penis and this is not a comfortable sensation for the guy. Just make sure if the strings are poking him that you tell your doctor to cut the loving things such that they don't poke out of the cervix. Your Gynecologist will probably bitch about it, but if you tell her you want her to do this or you're loving leaving and finding another doctor she'll probably just do what you want. If not, find a doctor who will because this poo poo is a nightmare. You don't want to give your man a complex about the hazards of your vagina.

And I'm leaving it at that, since goons are already horrified with my story of having Mirena and all believe I have a deeply dangerous vagina.
iirc, the strings don't stay pokey forever, eventually they soften so the danger of that is pretty much eliminated. :) I do sympathize to any dudes that have suffered string pokes though, ouch.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Paranoia is going to win out. I was the same way for quite awhile, "what if's" still creep strongly in my head though sometimes. Leave her be for awhile, especially if this is her first time on birth control. It will probably mean a lot to her. And maybe talk about what you would do if she did get pregnant. Having some kind of a game plan will probably help.

You are right, the chances are tiny if she's taking the pill perfectly (over typical use %), but she's really the one on the line here so to speak. It could be that she's worried about screwing up the pill. Things like that take time to get over.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm no doctor but I've honestly never heard of anything like that prescribed for very common libido issues that come up on hormonal birth control. From my average person point of view, the idea of putting topical testosterone on yourself seems just..not good. What's the name of the stuff he prescribed? There's a regular pharmacygoon who posts in here so maybe he'll know more about it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

lunarian posted:

My doc said that more hormones equals more side effects so he is unwilling to try me on any different pills.
Uh wow your doctor is full of poo poo definitely find a new one. But good luck with new options, I hope you can find something that works for you. Keep us updated, we care. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tulip Candy posted:

tl;dr- Getting IUD removed, lady at clinic gets pissed for me doing so, guilt-trips me on my decision.
gently caress her. I'd complain. She has NO RIGHT to say any of what she said because it's none of her business. Also loling at dismissing your symptoms/issues what a terrible person.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Peggy Lee posted:

As far as I know, I'm doing everything 'right': cotton underpants, no skinny jeans, no soap or douching (just water and sometimes Dove unscented soap on the outside), using condoms, eating yogurt. I did pick up some chewable acidophilus tablets on a whim, figuring at worst they'd be a waste of $8, and they seem to have done a good job staving off a yeast infection from the antibiotics I'm now taking for a UTI. Maybe they'll help calm things down.

I am a hot loving mess right now. :(

Oof. Yeastcrap AND a UTI? Rough. We all feel for you. I hope you can nail down whatever is going wrong.

I'm up for my yearly gynocology appt soon. I'm thinking of getting a blood test done to check my hormone levels or something. TMI for the internet I suppose, but about 2 months ago I got this tender mystery lump/cysty thing under the side of my nipple and it left as mysteriously as it came after 3 days. It really irked me and it doesn't feel right to dismiss it as nothing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Hectic day maybe would be my guess. v:shobon:v

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Okay, I just got prescribed Depo (purely for BC) today and I am terrified about it, to the point where I don't even want to pick it up from the pharmacy. I can't take any birth control containing estrogen because there are blood clots in my family history, so that's out. The doctor told me I won't get my period anymore, etc. but that the weight gain was "about six pounds in a year."

This sounds false to me, given that some of you other gals are experiencing/have experienced big weight gains. I'm already a curvy girl, I am not interested in gaining any more weight at all, under any circumstances. Will diet and exercise counteract it? I understand that the weight gain is due to appetite increase so if I eat well, will I still become Shamu? Also, I don't know how I feel about not getting my period every month. I'm very used to my body's cycle since it's 100% regular. I don't get painful periods except for very rarely. For the most part everything functions smoothly.

My main concern is the mood swings. I'm starting a new major in school and potentially getting a very important job and I can't afford to be a weepy pain in the rear end. How soon after I get the injection will I know if I'm Sybil?

Is the only way to know for sure just to try it and see? Can anyone reassure me that everything is gonna be okay? :ohdear:

But seriously, thank you to all you ladies, this thread has terrified/informed/made me laugh and I appreciate it.

Pick it up, you can self inject depo? (I've never used it, so this is news to me) But anyway, I'm not entirely sure why your doc would specifically say that. Depo does have risk of weight gain, but it's not a guarantee. And no, weight gained by hormones really can't be gotten rid of by conventional means as far as I know. So extra dieting/exercising won't do much good. Appetite increase is at least something you can take note of and control on your own though.

If you have friendly periods have you maybe thought about a copper IUD? There are also birth control pills that don't have estrogen either. So if Depo doesn't work for you, there are other options, so don't fret.

Just remember that no side effects are guaranteed. Good luck!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Just sharing some birth control love. I'm leaving in my ring a 4th week this month around because it's just better for scheduling and my :h:personal life:h:. I love you Nuvaring. :allears:

I'm glad it's working out well for you so far too, Lanthanum.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I'm on NuvaRing (which I have always loved!) but sadly, our insurance is changing and my copay is going up. It will now cost $40/month due to the lack of a generic. That means I'd be spending $480 to keep myself baby free every year. That's like, half of a vacation. :(

Until you switch birth controls, use a nuvaring coupon for the $15 off. $25 is a lot better than $40.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I have a Plan B pill that I keep around for peace of mind that's about to expire. Is there any reason to keep/take it as an extra means of protection even when I don't think I'm pregnant? I sort of hate to just bin it, it was expensive.

Expirations exist for a reason. Dump it.

And Plan B is specifically for when your birth control fails (forgot to take pill/condom breaks) so why on earth would you take it unless it was for that? :psyduck:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Peacock posted:

eta: If I don't have insurance, can I lie and say I've had children before? Or do they look into my information somehow?

Lol sorry, the human body isn't that durable that it can completely reverse the signs of having a kid.

Find a different clinic. If the doctor isn't comfortable with it, then that's really it unless you get a referral.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Peacock posted:

The one in my city's phone number isn't in service, and nor is the website...I'll drive by next time I'm in that area, but I'm doubting it exists anymore. :(

Usually there are multiple PP locations within bigger cities. You might have to drive further, but it's worth calling them and seeing what they have to say. I'm assuming you put your zip into PP's locater thing on their official site?

VV aw I was afraid of something like that. I don't know much about free clinic services outside of the US. :(

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 27, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:aaa:
No way no way. So next year my yearly gyno visit and my birth control will..be..free?

I'll believe it when I see it, but wow, it's refreshing to see GOOD news in this area.

e:
"Many women who get pregnant are blasted out of their minds when they have sex, and they're not going to use birth control anyway," Fox News' Bill O'Reilly

fuckyoufuckyufuckyou :mad:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My yearly pap smears+the works checks are $25 copay, 1 Nuvaring is $10 with coupon. But this is on my parent's insurance, which I'll no longer have in a few years. At least I can use the coupons basically forever.

Also I've never heard of $5 copay, for anything.

I think nuvaring might be the most expensive birth control out there though. :( IUDs seem to be the best bang for your buck.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Does PP not offer it at a lower price Triangulum? Many people have just gone in and lied about not having insurance. And at the rate you're paying you may as well not have it. :/

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Sadly, loss of libido is a fairly common side effect of hormonal birth control.(It can have the reserve effect as well. :))

Talk to her about it though, if you guys think it's enough that it's interfering with your relationship, look into another method.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Her feelings are understandable. I -really- wouldn't recommend the shot for her at this time, because if she responds badly to it, she's in for 3 months of side effects she can do nothing about. That's not to say it should be ruled out entirely, but given her current fears it's not something I'd suggest right now.

Each pill is different, that's why there are so many. So side effects she had on one birth control, won't necessarily happen on another. Have her bring up her concerns about mood swings to the next doctor she visits, and they can go from there. There's a lot of options out there

Here's a site that lists off pills that are better for specific things to get you guys started:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

I'll give my vouch for giving Nuvaring a try though. It gives hormones in even low doses, which helps with a lot of side effects. Also, do keep in mind that having annoying side effects the first 3 months on birth control is very common. If they're not bad enough to be interfering with her life, then just stick with it until the 3 months is up, they tend to go away on their own.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I just decided to start taking cranberry extract daily after my last UTI. Not in insanely high doses or anything (450mg iirc), but god drat I really don't want to hurt that badly ever again. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I think that would have to do with not getting the shot later than when you were scheduled to.

e: Haha, so close but beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DRP Solved! posted:

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Mirena IUD. Is this something you would consider? If so, have you talked to your gyno about it?

This x2000, you've had those issues for unfairly long silversiren. :( If your gynecologist doesn't want to give you one for stupid reasons (your age, marital status, etc), find another gynecologist.

• Locked thread