Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

SuperGinger! posted:

Currently we're only using condoms(was on trinessa but then the prescription expired), so I'm supposed to start using Nuvaring when I get my period.

My doctor didn't really explain the reasoning behind not using tampons. Probably because of the risk of the ring falling out when changing them?

Is there a reason you're waiting until your period? Because you can start Nuvaring at any time, just wait 1 full week for the hormones to kick into your system entirely and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

saulwright posted:

I hate to selfishly pop in here with a potentially paranoid, uber specific question, but here I go:

My partner takes Ortho Tri-Cyclen (incredibly responsibly I might add) but, are we protected during the portion of her placebo week prior to her 'period?'

Yes.

e: For some extra authority to reassure you, from their website:

http://www.thepill.com/thepill-faq

quote:

Am I protected from getting pregnant during "inactive" pills?

Yes. As long as you have taken your pills correctly (at the same time, every day), you are still protected from unplanned pregnancies even when you are taking the placebo pills—the green "inactive" pills—in the fourth week of your ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO pack.

The 28-pill pack contains 21 "active" pills (7 white, 7 light blue, and 7 dark blue; all with hormones) to take for 3 weeks. This is followed by 1 week of "inactive" pills (7 green; all without hormones).

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 13, 2013

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Your body can freak out a bit coming off hormones yeah. If that swelling isn't going away see a doctor asap

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Niemat posted:

How many days would you give it?

It's also the week before my period is supposed to start, if anyone thinks that might make a difference in terms of the swelling potentially being caused by estrogen levels...

Edit: whatever it is causing the swelling, my ankles are drastically less swollen today, which is a relief! I was waiting til towards the end of the day to access them to make sure the swelling wasn't just down because I had just gotten up. Thanks, everyone, for your answers on the matter! :)

Late response sorry. :( I was going to say if hadn't improved over a week, make an appointment, and if it got noticeably worse then go see someone immediately. Swelling on joints can be caused by a number of things, some troubling, so it's really just a safe than sorry kind of thing. If it were me mention it next time you're at a yearly appointment or something.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This post may seem a bit paranoid, but I wanted a more educated opinion. Earlier today, I put Neosporin on the area between my groin and thighs because I had some chaffing issues. About 3 hours later, me and my girlfriend had sex with a latex condom. I didn't see and tears or anything, and she used spermacide before hand, but I wanted to know if this could be a potential concern. Thanks in advance!

What is the question? If the neosporin in between your thighs ruined the condom protection somehow? If so, no. Also your girlfriend really shouldn't be using spermicide, it's really not good for vaginal health at all and can easily cause yeast infections. I don't even think the additional pregnancy protection it offers is isn't all that substantial.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Nah it's only an issue if something oil based is used as a lubricant. For what it's worth, look into the cream-type neosporin. It just absorbs and dries so you don't have to have goopy neosporin rubbing on your clothes.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Is there any reason an OBGYN's office wouldn't be able to check with my insurance if something is covered? I've left messages asking but I haven't heard back and it's been like a week. Their office is ridiculously busy so I'm not surprised, but I don't want to try to keep calling their office in vain. I just don't want to call my insurance myself if I can avoid it because I am a huge baby.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Guess I'll suck it up then, thanks everyone. :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Wooo my insurance said the procedure I asked about was 100% covered sans any expenses the office might include for visits. :h:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

silversiren posted:

My boyfriend and I had an accident last night and I bought the Plan B pill this morning because I'm one of those extremely paranoid people with that kind of stuff. Thing is, I'm also taking antibiotics. I know antibiotics can affect how well birth control works, and Plan B, from my understanding, is just a giant dose of birth control, so will the antibiotics negate the effectiveness of the pill?

If you call the pharmacy they should be able to tell you. I've had pharmacies refuse to give me straight answers on antibiotics and birth control before though. You can call any pharmacy and ask this if you want to though so you aren't stuck if yours won't tell you what you need to know. Not all antibiotics directly affect the effectiveness of birth control, iirc only a handful have been shown to.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
e: misread I need a nap :(

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 2, 2013

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Might wanna make the video a regular link.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh man, I'm sorry Bulletkiss. :( How weird that the left one just totally fell out like that. At least it's fixable. Thanks for posting the follow up.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Erysipelothrix posted:

E: I live in Boston. :( I'll ask if my doctor has heard of it though. I'm also going to ask if Essure is an option though I really doubt it.

Never be afraid to ask questions. :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Skyla is pretty new, it's pretty much made for women who haven't had kids yet so the insertion process is easier. I assume it lasts a couple years less than mirena simply because it holds less hormones?

Sorry about the wait for your IUD and the flat out (very badly reasoned) refusal from your gyno over Essure. :(

The 35+ age thing is think is already kind of sketch, but whatever, I get it. But requiring you have children is ridiculously outdated thinking to me.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Snorb posted:

My girlfriend and I were intimate Thursday, Friday, yesterday, and today. She took a dose of Plan B today, and according to her period tracker she'll ovulate about Wednesday/Thursday?

I need to know: How safe are we?

Not very. Buy some pregnancy tests. Plan B works best the sooner it's taken, and you're on the very edge of when it can possibly still work. Please look into a regular form of birth control. Plan B is not Plan A.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Plan B is now effective up to 5 days, but the odds are still pretty bad.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/stlouis/emergency-contraception-23428.htm

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Last night the condom came off me into my girlfriend last night. So we got the condom out of her and ran out and bought Plan B and she took it right around 2 hours after sex. From everything I know that's a pretty much textbook example of how Plan B is supposed to be used so I think our risk chances of pregnancy are pretty low but I'd figured I'd ask here in case there's anything else I should know.

You should be fine. Her period will probably be completely thrown off to hell for awhile though, so don't panic over that. It's not a for sure thing, but just a heads up.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Granted my knowledge of the intricacies of all the new insurance stuff is vague at best, but your nuvaring should still be free under the ACA regardless of your insurance?

But to answer your question, if it were me I'd consider implanon or an IUD if you know something isn't going to be covered. I've been on nuvaring as long as you have, and if I ever were to try switching that was mentally my next choice.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Minnesota Nice. posted:

My apologies if this has been posted before, but this is a really long thread.

I have been researching Essure, and I was looking at the Wikipedia page for it. It came to my attention that the page has been "vandalized" on the third paragraph, and while I would love to edit it, I am not at all qualified to replace the weirdo information that someone has put on there with factual information. So, I thought I would bring it here in case someone felt knowedgeable enough to edit it. I would just hate for people to be reading it and see that on there and not get Essure solely because of it.

If I'm wrong and the part about carcinogens from the page is true, I suppose that would be nice to know too. Thanks.
Essure is kind of a bad place right now in terms of safety, a lot of horrible problems have surfaced since last year. Carcinogens sound like nonsense, but there are real issues of coils breaking, causing permanent pain, and a way too high % rate just flat out not working. There's a lot of lawsuits over it. :( Apparently Essure is going through a redesign, but has refused to take the current model off the market.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That sounds like a completely horrible doctor what the hell. If she doesn't bother being gentle during PAP smears I somehow sincerely doubt she did everything she could for your IUD insertion. I'd absolutely get a second opinion.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

appleskates posted:

Just an update (I posted about a month ago because I wanted off birth control pills, asked my doctor for an IUD and was pushed towards the NuvaRing.) I LOVE IT. I have not changed my diet or exercise plan, but have lost 8 lbs in the past 2 weeks. My sex drive is SO back, and i'm not crying for no reason all the time, anymore. My partner can't feel it at all (I was planning on removing it during sex but we've been spontaneous and I just haven't bothered.) It's just so awesome. I also found out my copay for it will only be about $30, which is still a lot more than the $9 I was paying for Ortho Tri Cyclen, but it's totally worth it. I had a bit of nausea that first week but it passed. The best thing about it, really is that my HUGE appetite is just gone. I don't have an urge to get up and eat for an hour and then snack all day. I love you, NuvaRing.

How are insurance plans skirting the whole free birth control thing? Ugh. I get my nuvaring for free. Either way though, Nuvaring has a discount thing here: https://www.activatethecard.com/6733/landingPage.html
This is different than what I used previously, and but it seems more convenient and you get a bigger discount, your doctor should have them to give out if you ask. This goes for just about every brand name prescription.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I have the same insurance brand. :( Wonder what the deal is?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Millard Fillmore posted:

Ohhhhhkay, so apparently they filled my prescription with a generic brand, is this still okay?

You will still absolutely have the same birth control coverage, however you might have side effects you didn't have on the name brand. Generics have the exact same active ingredients, just different inactive ones.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Is there any reason to pick Mirena over Skyla? I'm losing insurance soon and I kind of want to prepare for the worst by at least having birth control for 5 years.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Do the hormone-y type of IUDs have any of the same non-baby-prevention benefits of bc pills? I've been taking yaz for several years (originally prescribed to help with PCOS side-effects, which it's great at), but I'm not always 100% about doing it on time. That wasn't a problem when I was single, since I was either not having sex or using condoms for hookups, but I'm in a relationship now and I'd like to be able to not use condoms, but also be more confident that I won't get pregnant than I am currently.

It does, it also has the bad parts but all that varies by the user. Mirena's hormone seems to cause acne more frequently but it can also make your periods go away so that's cool.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

appleskates posted:

My doctor and my pharmacist both advised keeping the rings in the fridge up until insertion. Is that not what most people do? (Sometimes my dr will give me a box of five, and I just keep them in the fridge, and sometimes I get them one month at a time from the pharmacy.) Either way I keep them cold because my OB told me they are "activated" by being at body temperature, which is pretty much all summer here in the South.

I was told the same. I also live in a hot area but they probably tell people that by default so they arent left in the car or something.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Nuvaring can safely be kept at room temp, they're just generally stored in the fridge. Leaving them in a hot car or something is the most likely temperature risk I can think of that would actually reduce effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Baroness posted:

From last page, but I had one script that gave me really bad nausea the first day or two of every 'new' month/pack, but then it went away and the rest of the month was fine. This lasted the entire time I used that BC (the patch, not a pill)

I still deal with this on Nuvaring. It's perfect other than that. But I've found a way to cheat the system by taking it out a day later than you would normally and using the new one a day early during the off week. Nausea is reduced considerably and I can actually function. This is probably a Nuvaring-only solution though, since you can use them for up to 4 weeks at a time and they won't lose effectiveness.

Not really that related but I figured it might help someone else dealing with the same problem. :v

• Locked thread