Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Really bummed. I went in today to get Mirena inserted and it just couldn't be done.

My GP recommended switching to an IUD because I get frequent (non aura) migraines so I was really looking forward to not taking pills anymore or getting a migraine every week or even getting my period anymore. Three different doctors tried dilating my cervix and it was just stubbornly clamped shut, even though I inserted a cervix softener last night. I'm really upset that after 15 minutes of excruciating pain I don't even have my precious Mirena to show for it. :(

Plan B is to go with the Nexplanon, but is there anyone here who had this happen and then successfully try again on another day? I'm smack dab in the middle of my period so I really thought it would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Kimmalah posted:

This is good advice except it sounds like she might be on the pill at the moment, in which case she won't be ovulating at all. But yeah, if it's possible to deal with not being on the pill long enough for her cycle to get relatively regular that could definitely be something worth trying. I hate to see anyone not be able to get something as awesome as an IUD.

Pretty much this. I've been on the pill for almost seven years now and I don't think I even ovulate anymore. I had three doctors try to insert my IUD and ultimately they were worried about perfing my uterus so they didn't force it.

Thanks for all the advice! I've been reading up and I think I will be just as happy with Nexplanon as I would have been with Mirena (hopefully), just without the added benefit of the possibility of ammenorhea or the added paranoia of squatting it out. :)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Got my Nexplanon put in today!

After my awful experience with my failed Mirena insertion, this was a breeze. They gave me a local Novacaine block and after that I didn't feel anything but pressure. I will reserve my judgement until the side effects kick in, but I would strongly recommend not shying away from one because of the procedure itself. In fact, I had my last Gardasil vaccine done in my other arm at the same time and that hurt way more and has stayed sore much longer (and even that was well within the realm of tolerable.)

Joinin' the Fembot ranks. :awesomelon:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 12, 2013

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I wasn't sure exactly how much my Nexplanon would cost when I scheduled to get it put in and frankly I was willing to pay for the upfront costs. Oddly enough, my clinic's business department called me a week before the insertion and said they had already talked to my insurance company, who agreed to pay for the whole thing. V :) V

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Nexplanon update: going on 8 weeks since insertion and so far so good! Any time I've switched BC I've had a month-long episode of epic mood swings and general shittyness and this was no exception, but my hormones have leveled out and I've had no other side effects. I also haven't had a period at all, which is freaky enough, so I took a home pregnancy test (negative) just to make myself feel better.

Conversely, a co-worker had hers put in just three days before I had mine, and she started bleeding at three weeks out and hasn't stopped. :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

For the people posting updates on nexplanon, has it affected your weight at all?

As of a few hours ago, I'm officially joining your club. My arm hurts :( For health reasons, I had to give up Yaz (which I loved) and switch to an estrogen-free method. I didn't want the shot and getting paragard put in a few years ago was the single most painful moment of my life so I didn't want to do that again. But I'm nervous about nexplanon because it seems to be so completely hit or miss with people.

My weight has kind of been all over the place anyway this summer, but no I wouldn't say it's because of my implant. The only side effect I've really had was about a month of hormonal shittyness but that's subsided. I'm eight weeks in and I've gone from having a migraine from once a week to none at all, and no sign of my period. So far, no regrets!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

InEscape posted:

Trip Report: How did getting back to real life go after you got it?

Great! My arm felt bruised for about a week but I was able to go back to lifting after that. Thanks for your perspective! You are right, I don't even notice it unless I feel around for it. I was at my general practitioner on Friday for the first time since I had it put in and she was fascinated by it; the way she remembered, you could actually see them through the skin (although she was probably thinking of Norplant.) Maybe I'll get so swole that there will be no fat over it and that will happen to me. :smug: lol yeah okay

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Well today marks 12 weeks since my Nexplanon insertion and annoyingly I started my first period since then on Sunday. It's been pretty light, but it's definitely a full-on period on not just spotting. I REALLY hope I get lucky and it ends in the next couple of days instead of lasting weeks or months. :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

I'm really impressed(?) with how many women in this thread have tried Implanon/Nexplanon! Only a couple of my friends have even heard of it. I got mine four and a half days ago, and so far so good. Can I ask, how long were your insertion spot/bruises sore for? Is it going to always be something you don't really want to touch or put pressure on, or does all pain/discomfort go away once the wound itself has healed (like a healed piercing)?

I've also had zero spotting so far. Good sign? Or is that normal, and bloodocalypse might be around the corner? I'm just WISHING SO HARD that I'm one of the lucky few whose periods simply stop. I don't get periods when off the pill (PCOS diagnosis at 15 was the implied reason), but I don't trust that for preventing babies, obviously. But boy was it nice.

I got mine back in July. My insertion was uneventful. It was sore for the first day or so, but after that I don't even remember that it's there.

I was on my period when I got it, and my period ended on its usual day, then I didn't get any bleeding for over two months. Unfortunately, starting in September, I've started bleeding every other week, ranging from some light spotting for a day or two, to a full-on murderpants period that lasts a week or more (and starts the day of your close friend's wedding that you're a bridesmaid in :gonk:) Because of the periods, I've gained about 5 pounds of water weight that I can't seem to get rid of.

My 6 month mark is coming up and I really, really hope things start to settle down. My migraines have almost completely disappeared thanks to it and I really want it to work out. :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I just rolled over my one year anniversary with my Nexplanon, and here's my State of the Uterus speech. :)

So I had previously been on a generic version of Alesse for about seven years. My periods were like clockwork, every 28 days exactly, and would last 4 days with no cramping, mood swings, or other nastiness. I really didn't have any complaints about the pill except that I would get (non-aura) migraines consistently every week. Last summer I made an appointment to switch to Mirena, which, after many attempts between three different doctors at my gyno office, could not be inserted. It was incredibly painful and I left completely bummed and discouraged. My gyno recommended Nexplanon as an alternative so I took a month to research and mull it over. I made an appointment to have it inserted a few weeks later.

Compared to my Mirena attempt, insertion was an absolute breeze. I was sore and bruised for a couple days and since then it's been like nothing is there. In that respect, I am very pleased. Totally worth not having to remember a pill everyday!

For two months after insertion, I never had a period, to the point where I took a pregnancy test just to assure myself it was working. Then, out of nowhere, I randomly got my period. Ever since then, I had bled every two weeks, ranging from just some light spotting for a day or two to a week-long crampy murderpants period like I would get as a teenager. Even worse, since that initial period, I have gained a very stubborn ten pounds that refuses to go away, even though I had no change in my diet, exercise, or lifestyle in general.

So that sucks.

BUT! My migraines are basically gone. I still get tension headaches often, but I only get full-blown migraines maybe once every couple of months.

So in general, even though the periods are annoying and the weight gain has been frustrating, my quality of life is better now with my Nexplanon. I won't pretend there isn't a trade off, but it was worth it to not have to worry about taking a pill and more importantly, not to have to suffer through migraines as a part of my everyday life.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Phadedsky posted:

Speaking of IUDs, has anyone in this thread had any experience with Skyla? I know it's still relatively new.

I'm interested in hearing about Skyla, too. I've had a Nexplanon implant since July 2013 after a failed Mirena attempt, but have gained massive amounts of weight on it and get a period every two weeks. I really want to give an IUD another go.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Welp, had my second Nexplanon inserted yesterday. Even though you could feel the old one pretty easily, it still took some digging for them to get it out. Probably gonna have a fairly sizable scar just from the explantation alone. Eh, could be worse.

Has anyone had any kind of adjustment period when getting a new implant, be it Nexplanon or Mirena or anything else, as far as new side effects? I know technically there shouldn't be a difference since it's the exact same thing with the same hormone dosage and it's not like I was over the three-year mark with my old one. I gained over 30 pounds within the first year of having my old one put in without any kind of lifestyle change and I'm paranoid for something like that to happen again.

I really would like to have been able to try something else birth control wise, but I get migraines so anything with estrogen is out per my doctor, and after my failed Mirena attempt, IUDs are out, too. My options for hormonal birth control are pretty limited at this point. Maybe in three more years something else will be out on the market...

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Mine is still wrapped so I haven't seen it yet and it feels pretty okay, but they did have to put a Steristrip across it. And really, it wasn't at all uncomfortable coming out, but the doctor (this is a different one than I had from my last insertion) recommended keeping it wrapped for three days instead of one to keep pressure on it.

edit: My poor friend had hers removed a year early and they tore up her arm trying to get it out. They eventually had to refer her to a surgeon. She showed me pictures of what it looks like three months later just yesterday and they really did a number on her. She's pretty sour on the whole experience. :(

Although she did get pregnant almost immediately after getting it removed, which is what she was hoping for. They really aren't kidding when they say your fertility comes back almost immediately!

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 16, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Pretty much. :/ She knew it was going to get ugly when she couldn't feel it herself. I really don't understand why they didn't take an x-ray beforehand if they couldn't feel it, either. When the surgeon found it, it had migrated almost all the way to the under side of her arm.

She gave me permission to share this picture. This is three months after the removal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, when I had my first one put in, I didn't get my period for three months, which led me into a false sense of security that maybe I'd be lucky and my period would go away completely. Nope! All of a sudden, I started getting my period in full every two weeks, sometimes more, sometimes less. On the "less" months, I may go four weeks without a period but then l get it for two weeks. Oh, and as soon as I started getting my period again, I gained weight like crazy. Wheeee!

Still better than getting a migraine every other day on a combined pill.

• Locked thread