Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
What loving insurance has a $5 co-pay 'cause poo poo, sign me the gently caress up! Mine's like $60 + the cost of medications. Even with insurance, Nuvaring cost me ~$80 a month.

Abbeh posted:

Good news, everyone (in the US.. with insurance..)

Birth Control Free for All: New Insurance Rules Affect Millions of Women

This is such loving amazing news though, especially after how viciously women's reproductive and sexual rights have been attacked this year.

Kerfuffle posted:

"Many women who get pregnant are blasted out of their minds when they have sex, and they're not going to use birth control anyway," Fox News' Bill O'Reilly

fuckyoufuckyufuckyou :mad:

Hey Mr. O'Reilly in this country we call that "rape", hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Kerfuffle posted:

My yearly pap smears+the works checks are $25 copay, 1 Nuvaring is $10 with coupon. But this is on my parent's insurance, which I'll no longer have in a few years. At least I can use the coupons basically forever.

Also I've never heard of $5 copay, for anything.

I think nuvaring might be the most expensive birth control out there though. :( IUDs seem to be the best bang for your buck.

Yeah nuvaring is expensive as poo poo and I didn't like it because it gave me yeast infections like crazy, ugh. I'm gonna try and get Mirena in the next month or so.

Your insurance lets you get yearly Pap smears? What the hell man, mine only does them every three years if you're under 40 unless there is a problem. And apparently missing your period for 5 months, constant vomiting, and losing 30 lbs is not a problem :downs: In fact they told me as long as you have three a year, there is no reason to have it checked out. "cause you know, going to the lady doctor isn't traumatic enough without having to basically beg to be seen beforehand.

Kaiser should be loving illegal.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 2, 2011

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh my god I hate you low cost birth control people so much right now (no I don't I hate my insurance you all are lovely ladies :love:)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I honestly haven't tried PP yet but I'm thinking for Mirena I'm going to go to both Kaiser and PP and go with whoever is cheaper. Honestly I trust basically anyone over Kaiser at this point.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm really worried, though that's entirely my fault.

I went to a walk-in clinic last Wednesday to get a referral for a gynocologist. Two hour waiting time :canada:. Getting the referral was easy, though the doc tried to argue with me about choosing Mirena (you're young, single, if you catch something while you have it could be :supaburn:, etc.)

I also asked him about getting tested for STDs, both for my upcoming IUD and for my peace of mind given my last "relationship". Basically, we started having unprotected sex way too quickly and the relationship imploded in the span of 2 weeks.

He gave me one of those lab requisition forms with HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydia ticked off. I aslo wanted to get tested for herpes 1/2 and HPV, but he wouldn't. He argued that getting tested for herpes wasn't necessary if I never had symptoms (the point is knowing beforehand, IMO. No symptoms =/= uninfected :rolleyes:). For HPV, since I have cervical lesions, I'm infected according to him; testing is not necessary, even if the infection may have resolved, something I'd like to know before having unprotected sex in an eventual LTR.

So I did something I'm not proud of in a bout of frustration.

Just before I went to the lab, I ticked off the other tests I wanted done on the requisition form myself. I added syphilis for good measure as well as testosterone levels (something I wanted to bring up with the doctor before I was shot down for the STD testing, but that I ended up not doing since I didn't feel comfortable or listened to).

At the laboratory (which happens to be at my uni), they ended up not doing the HPV test because you need a cervical smear for that (something I didn't know when I ticked off the test :downs:). I played dumb when they asked "didn't the doctor tell you?" and they just sent me upstairs to my uni's walk-in clinic where the very nice lady-doctor listened to me and happily wrote me a new lab requisition for HPV and sceduled an appointment with me to take the sample next week since I got my period right then (talk about timing :j:). Makes me wish I had gone there to begin with.

But now I'm worried, because what I did is, well, fraud, even if it was in a bout of hypochondriac frustration. The original doctor will get the results in 2 weeks. We often joke about doctors who don't give a poo poo around here, but I'm pretty sure he wrote down which tests he prescribed.

I've been feeling like confessing ever since, but the dude is a prick. Maybe I should ask advice from the nice doctor from my uni's clinic :ohdear:

Seems really unlikely that you'll get caught. And seriously, what a dick move on your doc's end, you really should be commended for being super proactive.

I have an odd question: I have some ah... sexual trauma and as a result going to the gynecologist or any other doctor that requires me to take off my clothes is really difficult for me and usually results in me flipping out afterwards. I think it would be less disturbing for me if I could take someone close to me with me in the exam room (my partner for example) but I'm worried that it won't be allowed or that the doctor will grill me about why I'm bringing someone with me. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? It's really stressing me out because I'm definitely going to have to go in the next month or so :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

sarah synonymous posted:

Also, I don't know if this would help you at all, but I know that many gynos will let you keep the top half of your outfit on if you aren't getting a breast exam. The last time I went I was wearing a dress, and all I had to do was remove my underwear and hike up the dress. You still have to remove some clothing, obviously, but you aren't shivering naked in a paper gown.

I've never had them let me keep anything at all on. And man, I dunno what the gently caress the last RN i had was thinking but she comes in, starts PETTING MY loving HAIR, and saying "Oh, aren't you just the cutest little thing. Ok, now put your feet up in the stirrups" :gonk: Thanks lady, this isn't creepy enough without you trying to give me the bad touch.

I hate Kaiser so much. But thanks, I honestly thought the answer would be "that's not allowed at all" :ohdear:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah she in general is just a very uncomfortable person to be around. I think I might just start going to PP, I honestly can't it being more aggravating that my current doctors.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Drugraid4am posted:

I skimmed here, but I had a question about the NuvaRing.

I went today to get a papsmear in order to take the first step to getting BC. I really want a copper IUD, but my health insurance doesn't cover it at all. I'm very worried about weight gain so my doctor recommended the NuvaRing to me. Anyone else have issues with being able to tone up or loose weight while using it? I stay in shape now, but I could be better.

Unfortunately the other reason I was in there was I had a Bacterial Vaginosis infection. I always get this or yeast when I use condoms. I recently started seeing someone and they are very much not ok with using pull out as a main BC method. If condoms irritate my vagina this much is the ring going to do the same thing? Am I better off with something else? I got a few days to decide. They won't prescribe me any form of BC until my tests come back clean and this thing clears up (way worst then yeast ugh).

Don't get the ring, they can give you yeast infections like crazy. I HATED the ring for that exact reason and I'm not even particularly prone to getting them normally. Have you tried non-latex condoms by any chance?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

NaturalLow posted:

A lot of condoms are pre-lubricated too, so it could also be something like glycerin in the lube they use. I used to get yeast infections like crazy back when I used those kind of condoms.

Oh that's a really good point! Glycerin is terrible :gonk:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

bobula posted:

I asked her about using my cup still and she really disliked cups at all (something about the blood just sitting in a cup in there?) and said she didn't recommend it, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep using it since tampons are painful for me and pads just suck.

That's... really weird. Does she hate tampons too?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Geolicious posted:

That's a good way to look at it, though. I AM uninsured in this instance.

Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it. It would benefit him as well! Well, sometimes anyhow.

Are you making GBS threads me? Your boyfriend is a dick, just a heads up.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

NaturalLow posted:

Judging from what she posted after that, it doesn't sound like she even asked him to because he makes less money than her and wouldn't be able to afford it, not some "I don't pay for girl stuff :smug: " attitude.

Both parties should pay some portion of the birth control bill, especially if you can barely freakin' afford it on your own. Both paying 50/50 might not be practical but pulling the "oh well you make more, you pay for all of it even though it totally benefits me too" crap is bullshit and super thoughtless.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Geolicious posted:

For the record, my bf has never said anything like this. I never even asked him to help pay for Mirena. I know he can't, I mean, I can't, so why ask right now?

As I posted earlier, he has helped pay for my pill in the past, so you seem to be making some assumptions, at least in my case.

If you never asked him, why did you originally say you couldn't get him to pay for part of it?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Fair enough. From what you initially said it sounded like he absolutely refused to help, which is lovely.

kdc67 posted:

loving a... Shut the hell up. Maybe actually read what she's saying. She knows how much her boyfriend makes and how much he can float. Hence she really doesn't need to ask. There's nothing wrong with NOT forcing your partner to spend money they don't have, oddly enough.

There's nothing wrong with not asking them to help. There IS something wrong with flat out refusing to help, which is what she initially implied. I'm sorry the idea that both parties should be willing to pay for something that benefits both of them is so terribly offensive to you.

In other news, I made an appointment to get a Mirena and the government is gonna pay for all of it! Life owns!

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 7, 2011

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

kdc67 posted:

She didn't imply it. She didn't say anything either way about why he couldn't at first. You assumed he was a dick and continued to do so after she explained it. Sorry you feel the need to project your previous or current relationships onto others.

On topic: Still on Tri-Sprintec. Everything is a-ok.

Yeah my ex girlfriends sure were bitches about contributing to my birth control fund :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Kerfuffle posted:

Ugh, I just learned that my dad's company is changing insurance AGAIN starting January 1st. This has never once been positive concerning my payment for birth control. :(

Doesn't this mean you're new plan will be required to pay for your birth control? Or do the new regulations start up later than that?

Quick question: I realize I should have asked PP this when I called, but when they say "no sex for two weeks before getting an IUD" does that mean "no penises in your vagina", "no penetrative sex", or "no sexual activity"? What's the reasoning for this?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh that's weak :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Well this loving sucks. I called Planned Parenthood last night because I have my appointment to get the Mirena inserted today but my period is late. Not only could they not tell me whether or not they would still insert the IUD without me being on my period (said it was up to the clinician), they also informed me that I was not allowed to bring my fiance into the back room with me. Even though its PP policy to allow the patient to request someone come with her. Based on the reviews of the clinic I read, they aren't going to budge on this topic. He's coming with me anyways and we're going to try to explain to them why I need someone I know to be there with me but goddamn, I am dreading this appointment now.

Why can't I deal with this poo poo like a normal person :sigh:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Fixed for you. You are clearly not the problem here. Good luck :( It will be okay in the end.

Thanks, I'm sure it will be too. I've managed before without someone going with me, I'm sure I can again. And hey! Maybe they will let him come! I'd think that if anyone was sympathetic to "hey I've been sexually assaulted and taking my pants off around strangers is super scary now" it would be PP. And if they are terrible assholes about it, I may just go to a different PP clinic. The downtown clinic has absolutely HORRIBLE reviews on Yelp/Yahoo.

Also I like your new avatar :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Sharks Below posted:

I didn't think they were allowed to stop partners coming into the procedure room unless there was a significant IC risk :( I live in a different country though. That sucks. Do you have a GP who could write you a letter stating that you need your partner to come in with you? No one likes performing a procedure on a very anxious patient anyway, you'd think if there was an easy way to reduce your anxiety they'd do it..

My GP loving sucks rear end and it takes well over a month to even get an appointment. I ended up canceling my appointment with PP because everything I read online about that specific clinic said that they absolutely refuse to let the husband/boyfriend/whatever into the room with the patient. I'm gonna call other PPs and see if they are a little more chill, the one I had an appointment with seems to have a lot of super rude, rear end in a top hat staff members and seriously gently caress that poo poo it's gonna suck enough as it is to get it put in.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lanthanum posted:

Which PP did you go to? I went to one in SD that let my boyfriend come in with me when I had my implanon intserted/removed

The downtown one. I called again and they said nope, absolutely not so I canceled my appointment :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lanthanum posted:

Try Kearny Mesa or even Mira Mesa. It might be a bit of a drive depending on where you live, but they let my bf come in. It helps if you tell them you are scared shitless and you need her there

Awesome, thank you so much. It is a bit of a drive but whatever, totally worth it.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
How long should it take me to get back to normal after getting an IUD inserted?

I got a Mirena put in on Thursday to (hopefully) help control endometriosis symptoms and it was probably the most painful experience of my life. The insertion wasn't too bad but the cramping afterwards was bad enough that I wasn't able to walk or move around for the rest of the day even after taking a couple of Norcos. It's easing up some but I'm still having to take pain meds to function and any sort of physical activity is totally out of the question.

How much longer is this gonna hurt because this really sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm still bleeding from my Mirena and it's been more than three weeks inlcuding the period I got before the insertion. Huge bummer.

Same here :( But at least the cramps eased up.

• Locked thread