Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

DRP Solved! posted:

Not really. In fact return to fertility happens within 1-3 months for most women.

It can take 6 months to a year for some women, though, just to give you an idea of the range of time it might take. I went off birth control in January '09 and got pregnant in July '09. I always had irregular periods too, but I didn't bleed at all between going off the pill and getting pregnant, which is also interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Not Impressed posted:

I also use the Diva cup and my doctor didn't seem to think it was such a good idea to keep that up with an IUD because of the risk of pulling the strings out. Is anyone out there using a menstral cup with an IUD successfully? Or best to just let this practice go?

I know several women who still use a cup with an IUD. I believe they are just very careful to break the seal before removing the cup. You can also get the string cut relatively short.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My experience with getting diagnosed with PCOS is that it is as much a clinical diagnosis as a medical one. For instance, I don't have any cysts on my ovaries. But, I do have hugely irregular cycles, unwanted facial hair, other endocrine and hormonal issues (diabetes, fibrocystic breasts), and one of the things they test for came back low. So even without the cysts and without other things coming back out of whack, it made sense to diagnose me with PCOS. Oh and I was on Metformin for my diabetes when I got pregnant with Cecilia, and Met. is generally what women with PCOS take to get pregnant. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, it does sound like you might be in the running for the wonderful grand prize that is PCOS as well.

No, Metformin doesn't affect BC. It just seems to happen that women with PCOS have some sort of insulin resistance, which affects ovulation, and taking the Met. makes it level out enough that they can ovulate well.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It's more likely that diabetes itself could be making it harder for you to lose weight. Are things going well with your blood sugar?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If she seriously wants to try FAM, I highly, highly, highly recommend getting a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It takes dedication, but it's so worth it when other forms of birth control just aren't doing the trick. It sucks to have to abstain from sex for a week, but if it means you can be condom free for the other three weeks in a month, it might be worth it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

I don't understand why some of these doctor's offices can't offer some nitrous or something similar for these IUDs. Dental offices offer it for cleanings and fillings, so I'm surprised that I haven't heard of a gynecologist's office offering it for people needing IUDs.

You know, for whatever reason, using gas fell out of practice in the US for medical stuff. There's been a bit of a push to bring it back to hospitals for laboring women; I guess in the UK it's super common and often used as an alternative to getting an epidural, if the woman wants just a little pain relief rather than a completely numb lower body. Hopefully that push is successful and in upcoming years we'll see nitrous back in doctor's offices and hospitals.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

evelynevvie posted:

I have a quick question for you ladies. I just got the Depo shot today for the first time. I would like to know how long it takes for it to be effective at preventing pregnancy. The nurse that gave it to me said it would be effective immediately, but then she said "as far as I know" which makes me wonder a little. I finished my period last Wednesday or Thursday, and started it on April 26. But my periods are waaaay wacky, and my gyno said today I probably have PCOS. Dunno if any of that matters.

Edit: Also a few days ago I started spotting a lot, almost like a mini-period (for me anyway).

So, am I good now, or should I wait a day or a week or anything?

The Depo Wikipedia article says that there is a chance of pregnancy within the first 14 days if given after the first five days of the period cycle. Effective immediately if given during the first five days of the period cycle.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

evelynevvie posted:

Another quick question about the Depo shot: How long should it take for any weird side effects to show up? Other than a slight soreness in the arm I got the shot, I haven't really had anything new happen. It's only been about 3 or 4 days though.

I was on Depo for about three years. For the first two and a half of those years, I was fine, no side effects at all. I loved Depo. Then out of nowhere sex started to get painful. Turned out I wasn't producing enough lubrication anymore. My options were to continue on Depo and use a suppository estrogen cream, or switch to a new form of birth control. I tried the former, but it became too much to deal with, so I went back to the pill. This was all in the late 90's, if that matters.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Try oil of some sort. That generally works for me when I get residue from bandaids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Budget Bears posted:

Hope this is thread-appropriate. I'm just wondering, about how soon after conception would one start getting early pregnancy symptoms like nausea? I ask because the last time I had sex was about a week ago, and so far I've had mysterious nausea and vomiting twice just in the last week. I haven't been able to trace it back to any food, and I don't think I would have gotten two separate stomach viruses within less than a week of each other? (It's possible, though; I work around kids, so lots of germ exposure.)

Worst case scenario, I have emergency contraceptives on hand. But still... :ohdear:

Generally speaking, symptoms kick in around 6-8 weeks after conception. But there's a ton of leeway on that. I know people who were nauseous within a couple of weeks and people who never were.

• Locked thread