Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Sorry if this was asked recently, but I'm kind of freaking out and not sure what's going on. I read through the OP and didn't see anything that I thought was completely related.
ANYWAY.
I've had a Mirena IUD for a little over 3 years now. The last time I had a period was in october of 2008. Since then, I have had no spotting or bleeding whatsoever, -ever-. This has been amazing.
However, I started getting UTI's all the time, which I thwarted with cranberry action. A few weeks ago, though, I thought I had gotten another one, so I went and peed in a cup at the doctors office. Despite having the urgency/frequency/pain when I peed, I apparently had no bacteria or anything abnormal in my pee at all. I chugged the cranberry like a champion and it mostly went away, but I still kind of feel "off" in regards to my urinary tract. The student healthcare center at my school is a bit lazy, though - they're always like "come back if it's still like this in a week".
Cut to today. Out of nowhere, I started bleeding (pretty much like a period, lots of nasty brown fun stuff followed by red blood). I haven't had rough sex lately or anything that I really think could cause bleeding. I started running lately, but I've always exercised, so I kind of doubt that is related. There has been no cramping at all, which is super abnormal for me - every single period I've ever had has had significant cramping happen beforehand, and during.
I haven't started any new medications or taken any drugs or anything like that.
I'm going to take a pregnancy test as soon as I need to pee, just to rule that out.
:(

EDIT: not pregnant (thank god). it seems to have slowed a bit and is mostly just brown.

akulol fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Bagleworm posted:

I've heard it theorized - though never confirmed - that IUDs can increase the frequency of UTIs. I've found that once I got my first UTI, it didn't take much for me to get another, almost as if there's still some bacteria just hanging around ready to strike. I'll get a mild one if I don't pee right away after sex, for example.

UTIs can be triggered by a lot of things - holding in your urine, wiping back-to-front, wearing thongs or very tight underwear/pants, not peeing after sex. When avoiding all these triggers, I haven't had a UTI; if I forget to pee after sex and feel one coming on, I just drink more water and cranberry juice/pills and it clears up...

If you get them a lot, or feel like they never quite clear up, you could probably get a prescription for antibiotics. Generally, I avoid antibiotics unless I really need them, because they often give me a yeast infection. Aurgh.

As for unexpected bleeding, sometimes that happens with no apparent cause. Usually it's caused by something like stress. As long as you're not getting any severe pain, there's probably nothing to worry about.

I make sure I pee after sex and I don't wear anything super tight, and I wipe the right way. The first time I got a UTI was when I started dating my current bf. I had the IUD for a year and change with my last bf and had no indications of a UTI, ever. My current boyfriend is possibly the most hygienic I have ever seen, so I can't really explain the UTI frequency. I've pretty much gotten in the habit of taking cranberry pills after we have sex every time.
I've gone to the doctor twice with UTI symptoms and both times my pee was bacteria free. The doctor seemed about as confused as I am. :sigh:
The bleeding seems to have died down a lot, but it's still mostly brown. Hm...

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Bagleworm posted:

If you're coming back negative on the tests, it could be something else. While UTI is the most common, there are other things that have the same symptoms. At this point it might be a good idea to get a doctor to run some more thorough tests.

(I doubt the bleeding and UTI symptoms are connected... weird things happen with hormones)
Yeah, I've kind of figured this was going to have to happen. :sigh: I'm kind of scared of what else it could be.

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Is it possibly allergy to condoms (if you are using them), detergent or any other soaps or unguents you are using? I did not get brown discharge when I had this problem but it did account for a fair few of my problems and I certainly did get discharge for a couple of them. It usually started about 3-4 months after using something new. Funny, I swear my pussy is more allergic to anything than any other part of my body. It completely stopped once I finally narrowed it down (pain in the arse that was). I also got tons of negs on std/dti testing.

We don't use condoms, and I did -just- (days ago) switch soaps, but I don't think that's ever caused an issue before. Then again, I did use the same stuff for years. I'll try not using it for a bit and see what happens.
I got tested for gonorrhea/the clap when I first started dating my bf, so I doubt I have either of those... but I guess theres always potential for something else :(
I have to go to a doctor for eye issues and for wrist issues already... it seems like everything breaks at the same time! Stupid vagina.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Hello internet ladies!

I had a mirena inserted about 2 months ago. The insertion was painful and I had hella cramps for the first month or so. I wanted a paragard, but my gyno was insistent that I get a mirena because I have pretty bad cramps. She was generally awful and I'm going to find a new doctor.

ANYWAY, have any of you had an experience where mirena made you crazy? I generally pride myself on being pretty level headed and reasonable most of the time, but since I've had it, I've been super extra lethargic and apathetic on top of being VERY jealous/paranoid about boyfriend (which is absurd and totally unwarranted - he's the first guy i've dated in years; I thought I was ladies only, haha), feeling extra crazy about my body, etc. I was almost never this bad before. This is the second time I've had a mirena - the first time, I was 18-22 (I'm currently 25). I had the jealousy/body issues then as well, which I'd retrospectively attributed to being young and stupid. Since then, I felt like I'd made a lot of progress on myself, so having these feelings come back so strongly so quickly seems... abnormal, and very distressing.

On top of that, I've basically had either BV or a yeast infection at all times since insertion. That's certainly not done much to quell all the bonus feelings lately, either... has anyone else experienced this? Additionally, I low-key feel like I have to pee all the time. I've checked 909434 times for a UTI, but nothing has ever shown up.

I super don't want any babies ever and would sell my uterus to someone who needed it in a second, if I could. Now I'm paranoid that mirena is making me crazy and breaking my vagina and i'll never get to have normal sex with my boyfriend ever again and he'll leave me for some tiny girl who has a normally functioning vag and and and and and and :( (yes, I know how ridiculous I sound, damnit :()

please halp, internet!!

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Urban Wizard posted:

I feel like the psychological effects that birth control can have on you is extremely downplayed and under-researched... and usually (by not-great doctors) waved off as not being an issue. You're altering your body chemistry when you take anything hormonal so I really feel like it can cause side effects like these. My mood and personality have also changed a lot since I started Seasonique, so now that I've switched, I'm hoping to start to feel more normal again.

I agree. I sent my endocrinologist a long, detailed message about how I felt like mirena was loving with my affect significantly and that a bunch of my friends have noticed the difference. the time aligns right up with when I got it. All she said was "it's your body adjusting to the new hormones, just wait it out". I feel like I'm spiraling, and I'm reasonably certain it's from the iud. I have to teach in the fall and I'm afraid I'll explode before then :( hopefully this doctor I'm going to on the 16th is more amenable to this. Either way, I'm going to demand she pull it out.
Having sex with boys is so dumb, ugh.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Went to the gyno today to discuss birth control and how mirena made me crazy. She offered to remove it right then and give me a paragard. I went for it, knowing full well that it would suck because I hadn't taken any painkillers at all. Good lord, that poo poo hurt. It was the first time I'd ever involuntarily yelled "gently caress!" from pain. I got home and took 4 ibuprofens and am now a vegetable on the couch with my cat. Here's hoping it won't make my periods that much worse and that this will finally work for me. Someone remove my uterus, pleeease.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

ilysespieces posted:

Obviously anecdotal, but this is how it was/is for me. The first few periods were like the elevator scene from the Shining..

This is me right now, 2 days after insertion. I was maybe kind of on my period when I got it in, but it was one of those noncommittal Mirena periods. Is this normal? Ahhhh

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Paragard update:

I started getting cramps at 5 am last Wednesday, conveniently before I was supposed to take a fun trip to Portland. Had consistent cramps that weren't notably severe until I started actually bleeding Sunday. Monday was alright.. just a couple ibuprofens and I didn't even notice. Today (Tuesday) has been insanely bad. I've taken more painkillers than is probably safe, but I had to lecture and I can't do that in the fetal position. They come in waves.. for a while I'm totally fine, and for a minute or two I feel like I'm going to vomit. I hope all of the subsequent periods aren't like this. Usually, I felt like, my uterus and I had a deal. The day before my period starts and day 1 of bleeding, the cramps are allowed to be bad. After that, I just bleed and feel nothing. I guess paragard has other ideas...

I don't feel like it's been a crazy volume of blood, really - it seems about the same as before.

I hate this. My cat is trying to heal me with vibrations, I think. That's nice of him.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Urban Wizard posted:

akulol, you definitely have my sympathy with the nightmare cramps. Like Not Your Senorita said, when you're not cramming ibuprofen into your face, use a heating pad. I found that using one on my stomach and one on my back was best. Also, applying pressure to the pressure points in your lower back can help temporarily too. What painkiller are you using? Before I got my prescription for this new stuff, Advil worked best for me.

I definitely need to invest in a heating pad. I was hosed yesterday though because I had no time in which I could just sit around and be heating padded. Today was better cramp wise, but holy poo poo, I didn't know my body could survive with this much blood loss, haha. I tried acetaminophen yesterday just to not have taken 1000 ibuprofens, but they did nothing, so I took 1000 ibuprofens.

related/unrelated: the last few times i've had sex, it's been painful in positions that get pretty deep. I've had the same partner this whole time and nothing has changed on his end, and we aren't doing anything different. It almost feels like he's slamming into internal organs. I've got my monthly checkup tomorrow and I'm definitely going to ask about it, but has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've never felt anything like that before ever with anyone.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

He is slamming into internal organs! It's your cervix. It moves up and down depending on where you are in your cycle and how turned on you are. It varies more between people, though, like some people's are always touchable/slammable and some people's are way up there. If you don't like it, there are positions that only allow for shallower penetration. It's not doing any real harm, but you can definitely ask for the doctor to take a look at your checkup.

I kind of assumed it was that - but it's been 4 or 5 months of sleeping together most days and that's never happened until a week or so ago! Perhaps he'd been hitting it before and it just didn't hurt then?

Will report back after doctor.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

I definitely noticed my cervix and uterus seemed to get a little more sensitive to being hit or jostled around during sex. For me it wasn't unpleasant most of the time, but it was kind of a fine line between "this feels good/oh I'm going to be sick." But even a lot of women without IUDs find getting hit in the cervix to be pretty drat painful.

As for the cramps: heat really is great for the cramps ibuprofen doesn't touch. If you need a heating pad but you can't really just sit around on the couch all day, they make these awesome little heat pads that you can stick inside your underwear. They work really well and don't show through your pants or anything (unless you're wearing something really thin/skin tight I guess). I used the kind made by Thermacare and they were a lifesaver on the days when I had to be up and about at work during those first few months - they come in 3 packs for fairly cheap and last a good 12+ hours each.

Your periods will eventually improve, but for me the major turnaround wasn't until about the 6 month mark. After that my periods felt pretty normal and cramp-free except for maybe an off day or two every few months.

I will definitely investigate those!! Thank you!

Doctor said the strings look fine and that she thought the pain was somehow period related - which I suppose makes sense, given how badly that entire area hurts. She said to wait it out a few months :( it's just odd because I had a Mirena before this and it only hurt to have sex the day or so after I got it in.

One day, I will have pain free, worry free, infection free sex with my boyfriend. One day.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kyashi posted:

I had to get my paragard removed after ten months of yeast infections before and after almost every 7 day period. it really turned into the opposite of all natural maximum horny levels without hormones that I hoped to achieve without condoms. seemed to be a toss up if sex would trigger an infection. tried lots of different lubes, ate a lot of yogurt, gentle external water rinse only, no panties to bed, etc all this stuff my obgyn recommended to no avail.

i switched back to nuvaring. crossing my fingers that i can handle that foreign object and the shorter periods don't obliterate my flora. I think I would be happy to take regular ocp again if I could be yeast free. really disappointed but at least the removal was extremely easy vs insertion.

I super, super know that feel. The last year or so, I feel like anything can set off a yeast infection. "a toss up if sex would trigger an infection" sounds like the last 4 months of my life. It's the worst. I've been taking some hippie bullshit anti-yeast stuff (note: i do not really believe in hippie medicine but the placebo effect is a real thing, haha) and chugging the yogurt like a champ and I feel like I'm juuuust holding one back. I wish I could offer some advice :( if you figure out how to fix it, by all means, please tell me!!

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kyashi posted:

just to follow up the fix seems to be having it out because my period has come and gone, sex has been had, and I even ate Halloween candy and no yeast infections. :toot: dang body just wasn't cool with the iud i guess :shrug:

My god, I'm jealous.

My battle against yeast was a losing one. I got a fluconazole from my doctor yesterday, but it feels worse today - I'm trying to grade papers in an unsuccessful effort to ignore wanting to violently scratch.

I'm tempted to get an OTC yeast treatment. Which ones work? Plx halp. :(

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not really sure if OTC is going to help much if the prescription isn't. Did the doctor actually test you for yeast? Like I mentioned before there have been times I was convinced I had an infection, but the doctor would test and find BV or find nothing abnormal at all.

She only gave me 1 fluconazole even though I asked for two :(
She did test for yeast and it was there. I'm like 80% sure I'm getting it from boyfriend recurrently - he has no genital symptoms, but he's got throat yeast, and we use his spit, lol. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to take care of that, because if I get one more drat yeast infection I'm going to quarantine my poor vagina. Sigh.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Hello Paragard Pals,

I've had mine since mid-september and generally get my period around the 12th of the month. I've had really sore, tender boobs all of last week, and on Saturday (the 5th), I started having that dark, stringy discharge I generally get at the end of my period, even though I've got a solid week and a half before it's normal blood time. It persisted as the dark stringy stuff until today, where it seems to have escalated into full blown period, even though I'm mysteriously without cramps. The last two periods have been crampy hell for me, so this is extra confusing. Did anyone else have anything like this happen? I've also got some sort of terrible cold, too, so I'm bonus miserable. Weird stuff comin out of everywhere... blah. I took a pregnancy test (ok, I took two) and am not pregnant.

Also, also, this might be the weirdest symptomy thing, but when boyfriend and I have sex, it sometimes feels like he's hitting some sort of internal structure (not cervix). It'll have this kind of clicky feel that doesn't necessarily hurt but just feels weird. It seems to only happen in certain positions (if I'm tilted in some way or if I'm on top). It's extremely distracting. This hasn't happened before with any sex partner ever, or even with the current one before a month or two ago. I was at the gyno the other day for a routine checkup and forgot to mention it, but she didn't say she saw anything weird. Any ideas?

Thanks goons! I think I'm going nuts. :confused:

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Just to be sure I understand (not making fun here), you're worried about not having cramps? In any case, I definitely had periods on Paragard that either didn't have cramps at all or maybe had them for a day and none for the rest of it. For me that was after the 6 month mark when things got "settled" but maybe your body has just adjusted sooner. I don't think it's a sign of anything bad really if everything seems to still be in there (which I assume your gynecologist would have caught).

poo poo, yep, I guess I am complaining about that. haha. Good lord, the amount of blood I've lost over the last few days has been crazy. Do any of you use a diva cup or a similar device and play highish impact sports? I hate tampons, but the idea of doing a heavy clean and jerk and having a diva cup explode out of my crotch and spew blood everywhere is pretty terrifying, haha. You're welcome for that imagery

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

No big deal, it's just the first time I'd heard that complaint. It is definitely possible to have cramp-free (or mostly free) periods with Paragard.

And if no one here has an answer, there's a Menstrual cup thread here in Ask/Tell that seems to stay pretty active. I usually just used the giant Ultra absorbency tampons for the worst days, but of course you said you hated tampons and I definitely didn't do sports of any kind. :v:

I'm sort of just skeptical this is the secret start to an ultraperiod that will begin phase 2 (painfully) on the day my period is "supposed" to start. ULTRAPERIOD.

Thanks so much for all your responses, you've been super helpful! :)

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

cash crab posted:

akulol: know what you mean about the "clicky" feeling. I would actually occasionally get it before the IUD as well. TMI TIME: With my ex, it used to happen all the time. With the current boy, it's only happened post-IUD. My theory is that the vaginal canal is tensing up because of anxiety (I SCIENCE NOW). I know it couldn't have been an actual issue with pressure or anything being "poked" because my ex had a significantly smaller penis. It's stopped happening to me now, I'm about three months in. :) Good luck.

That makes sense! I feel like it happens more when I'm all tense about it happening. I'm glad I'm not alone! I'll try to chill the f out and see if it goes away. Thanks!

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
I've got a paragard and just started using a menstrual cup. THIS SECOND, even. It requires significant manipulation for me to remove it, which DEFINITELY breaks the seal. I had this concern going into it, too, but it seems to be totally fine. Also, I'm an olympic style weightlifter and flung poo poo all over the place this week with the cup in and had no issues at all. An added bonus is the cup I got (blossom cup) has lines on it to tell me how much I've bled, and I get to nerd out about that ("OMG I bled 15ml from 9-3! Thanks, Paragard!", for example), and dumping it into the shower or the toilet is both fascinating and disgusting.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm looking into getting an IUD as an option instead of continuing birth control pills - I'm 28 and not interested in having children. Currently I take Tricyclene as others I tried in the past (cannot remember the names now) were giving me terrible depression and mood swings. If I'm on that BC, would one recommend Minerva or a copper IUD? I do not believe I am allergic to copper but I could always ask for a sample to test.

I read the FAQ but I couldn't really discern an answer there myself, sorry.

For what it's worth, I had Mirena for a few months last summer and got extremely depressed and very mood swingy. Some of the most miserable months of my life (I posted about it here, I think). I got it removed and was back to normal in a few weeks. I've got paragard now and basically have cramps to some degree almost daily, but I guess it's better than babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Hey thread! Super excited for y'all getting your tubes did!
My GP is awesome and was OUTRAGED when I told her how many gynos dismiss me wanting no babies ever. She called her own gyno then and there and asked her to consult me. Hero!
The gyno was a little condescending about me getting it done (I'm 26 with no babies), but she said she respects my choices and she agreed to de-tube me. I guess they take out the entire tube now rather than cauterizing - something about reducing ovarian cancer risk.
I got a salpingectomy about 2 months ago. The hardest part was the self-doubt before the procedure (I had crazy urges to have SEVENTY BABIES NOW, prob because boyfriend isn't stoked about me being sterile but #mybodymychoice, fucker) but now I am soooo happy with myself. I only have 3 little scars. Recovery was pretty easy, except I found out I'm allergic to chlorhexadine, a sanitizing solution they rubbed all over my abdomen. That wasn't so bad. They glue you back together now instead of using stitches, which is rad as gently caress.
Would be more than happy to field any questions!
With insurance, I end up owing ~$530.

• Locked thread