Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splish
Sep 17, 2008
Driving 150 miles each way tomorrow to get my Depo shot on time. Love living in rural areas with no doctors on my insurance.

I'm going to be starting grad school with some pretty nice health insurance this month though, so I'm thinking about switching to something longer term than the shot. Has anyone switched from the shot to Implanon? I had some bad side effects with the combination pill, but with the shot I don't even notice I'm on birth control. And I don't even have spotting any more. It's so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
Nexplanon trip report: I think it took like 5 minutes. The most painful part was the injections of Lidocaine to numb my arm, then a bit of a weird feeling when she put it in. There's a localized bruise right over the implant but it doesn't hurt at all.

I've been on Depo for two and a half years so I'm hoping that my uterus is barren enough by this point that I will miss out on all the irregular bleeding fun and my body will adjust calmly and reasonably to the lower dose of progestin. My periods stopped almost immediately on depo and it has been a lovely time so I'm hoping the luck train will continue. Either way it's nice knowing that I'm all set for three years.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

I'm curious, does having a good reaction to depo indicated a likeliness that one will tolerate nexplanon well, and vice-versa? Everyone asks me for advice re: implants and a girl told me she uses the shot and was thinking of an implant.

I was on depo for about....2.5 years or so and switched to the implant back in January. I asked my doc if it would be an easy transition. My periods stopped with the first or second shot of depo and I didn't want to loose that! She wouldn't tell me straight up they probably wouldn't come back, but she did say that the lining of my uterus was probably very thin after two years of depo which would decrease the chances of a period. Nine months later, not so much as a spot, and if anything fewer side effects. I used to get canker sores around the end of the depo cycle and that hasn't been an issue. No weight gain either, though I have a fairly physical job that might cancel that out.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

It affects everyone differently, but for what it's worth, I'm on my second Nexplanon and I haven't noticed any negative effects on my sex drive. It's lower than it was when I was younger, but I'd chalk that up to... not being a horny teenager anymore. :shrug:

I think I might be in the same boat--is it the implant, or is it that I'm on year four with the same person? I think at least some is due to the implant.

Anyway, I find that I've had pretty much the same reaction to nexplanon, which I've had for a year, and depo, which I used for about two years. Maybe try out a couple cycles of depo and see how your body reacts to progestin only?

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
When I got mine in, the doctor told me to ask the person who took it out how big the incision would be--then she drew a line about 2mm long on my little card and said, "if it's bigger than this, look for a different doctor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Automatonic Water posted:

If I want to get on birth control, but don't know the effects that hormonal BC will have on my body, but also can't remember to take a pill to save my life, and refuse to have anything cross the threshold of my cervix, what sounds like a better option?

- Get the Implanon thingy in my arm not knowing if I'll hate it or not
- Just try really hard to take pills on time despite having ADHD-memory

The story goes that I exist because my mom didn't take her pill at the same time every day, so it's a big deal to me. I guess there's also Nuvaring, but I don't like to store foreign objects in my vagina for too long. I don't even use tampons.

You could try the shot to see how progestin-only affects you, but if it sucks you're stuck with it for a few months until the hormones wear off. I got the shot for a few years and then switched to the arm implant. Periods started to come back after about a year but other effects (canker sores strangely) are also less noticeable with the lower dose of the implant.

• Locked thread