Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Not Impressed posted:

And for a semi-embarassing but important question I can't seem to get an answer to - will my partner feel the strings? Even if he's fingering?

I also use the Diva cup and my doctor didn't seem to think it was such a good idea to keep that up with an IUD because of the risk of pulling the strings out. Is anyone out there using a menstral cup with an IUD successfully? Or best to just let this practice go?

I have had a Mirena since November 2009.

The first time my boyfriend and I had sex after I got the Mirena, about 4 days post-insertion, the string poked him in the urethra. I have never seen such a full body recoil/strangled noise. Oh my goodness it was funny but I felt terrible for laughing. These days he can feel it very occasionally, in certain positions worse than others. Sometimes he can feel it on the head of his penis a bit but he can ignore it, sometimes we have to change position. I don't know if he's ever felt it while fingering me.

I have never used a Diva cup, but I have used the Instead, which does not seal onto the cervix. There's nothing for the strings to get caught on, they're too short and slippery for me to grab, and considering how uncomfortable it was to get the thing inserted, I'm pretty sure I would notice if I started pulling on the strings.

And Neko Sou, forgive me if this is rude, but I'm extremely curious: what religion allows Brazilian waxes but no period sex or tampons for unmarried women?

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I suppose I should point out that I've had maybe 3 periods in the year since I got the Mirena, and they were all extremely light.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I never had nasty side effects from the oral bc I was on. You hear a lot of horror stories because people don't go around saying "Hey guys I just started birth control and everything's fine!"

Well, in that case I'd just like to say that I never had any issues with bad side effects on the pill, and I ended up switching to the Mirena because one of my antidepressants interfered with the pill's effectiveness, not because the pill was making my crazy or killed my sex drive or anything.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Do you want to have kids eventually, or would a vasectomy be an option?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Geolicious posted:

As it turns out, weirdly enough, my old gyno from VA now practices in Carson City. So, as soon as my insurance kicks in, I think I will set up with him. I liked him a lot and he seems like he thinks women can be trusted with their own bodies.

That's really awesome and convenient.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bagleworm posted:

My grandmother had an old generation of a copper IUD and got pregnant with it. She said they left it in and it came out stuck to my aunt's arm when she delivered.

Hahaha, no way. Is this true? Does your aunt have a scar? That just sounds too crazy to be true.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Are you seriously asking if an herbal supplement is an effective birth control? Because I can assure you that the answer is "no." If it were effective as a non-hormonal birth control, people would be all over it and you'd be able to find plenty of information on it. It would probably be an actual medication.

What's your objection to actual medication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MsJoelBoxer posted:

I am on lamictal as well and was told by the prescribing doc as well as my gynecologist that it can make birth control pills less effective. You may want to discuss that with your doctor.

This was a significant factor in my switch from the pill to Mirena, because I take 300mg of Lamictal. My skin kind of sucks, but I'd rather have that than bipolar mood swings, horrible periods and/or a baby.

Are you only taking the Ortho for your acne, Starer Wiggin, or for birth control also?

• Locked thread