Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Been a while since I posted.

So, the story so far. My wife and I have been searching for a decent birth control for ages, looking for any new ideas even though I think we've exhausted them all.

Tried hormonal birth control. Ortho Tri didn't work out well, tried the low dose with generic and branded loetrin 24 or something, didn't work out well either. Hormonal pills depress her mood and eliminate her sex drive to a degree that's unacceptable to both of us.

Tried the ring, it doesn't really fit and either falls out or during sex causes issues with her cervix as it provides something hard and painful to push into it during sex. She doesn't want to have to put it back in every time we have sex and she goes to the bathroom, and we wonder at it's effectiveness when it won't stay "seated" regardless.

Tried the patch, same issues as hormonal pills plus her skin is slightly oilier than usual in that they don't stay attached if she does anything remotely active. She's in school for physical therapy so that's pretty much every day with them practicing PT techniques on each other.

IUDs aren't something she will consider. I can't bring it up without her shuddering, have tried several times over the last year, it's not an option she's willing to consider.

Spermicides irritate her to the point that as often as we have sex she now hasn't been able to have sex in over a week because of the stuff and can't continue to use it regularly.

We both hate condoms. They inhibit orgasms for both of us.

At this point we're down to a few times a month as she's able to use spermicide. Wearing on both of us as her sex drive is back to normal and she wants to when she can't regularly.

Wondering if there are any ideas left. She's not willing to go with the shot either, brought that up and apparently the side effects are pretty severe with her.

I'm about lost. We've run out of possible ideas because everything affects her in severe ways. Ideas, goons? Anything? Or are we kinda SOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Eponymous Bosch posted:

TheSpiritFox- Has your wife asked about Implanon? That would be one option I would at least ask an OB about. But since your wife does not seem to do well with hormones have you tried the old diaphragm option?

Before I got my IUD I used a diaphragm and it worked very well (I just hated toting it around). It's a classic method of bc with a bigger following in the older generation. You have to get fitted for it by an OB, who writes you a perscription for your size afterwards and then you have to learn how to put it in place at home. Sometimes the OB or a nurse will give you help at the doctors office if you ask.

Since they are not nearly as popular today as they were 40 years ago the best person to ask about this is your wife's mother or a close aunt.

Haven't considered the diaphragm before, I'll talk to her about it. I doubt it would work out well though, we have to be careful about depth as it is. The ring was enough of a problem from space requirements, and if I remember proper use of a diaphram would include spermicide, which irritates her and causes the problem we're dealing with now.

But again, worth a look.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Do you want to have kids eventually, or would a vasectomy be an option?

Want kids. Once we've had as many as we want that's the plan, but we're young so kids are probably 5-10 years away with our current plans and goals and we want more than one, need something to handle that interim decade (and a half, maybe)

• Locked thread