Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

SimHuman posted:

Paragard/copper IUD trip report: I got my IUD in November 2009 and posted a few times about terrible pain afterward, so I thought I should give my impressions now. For reference, I am currently 24 and married with no children. My fantastic gynecologist suggested the IUD when I was 23 (then engaged) because I can't use hormonal birth control for medical reasons.

For me, the IUD is great. The first 7-9 months of periods were (relative to what I'd had previously, at least) hellishly painful and had absurd, Ultra-tampon-soaked-in-4-hours bleeding. After that, the pain and bleeding plummeted back down to slightly worse than pre-IUD. If I put a number on it, maybe 15% more bleeding and cramping? Otherwise, no discomfort, no worries, and no accidental babies so far!

Thank you for posting your update! I just got the Paragard in November of 2010 so I've only had it for about 2 months and I have been considering removal because my periods are so awful, but if it gets better then I may just stick it out. You have given me hope. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

So I now have Paragard and am on Yaz. Is this going to have any lasting side effects I should be worried about?

I think you and I got the Paragard around the same time if I remember correctly.
I was actually considering doing this too because I turn into a really terrible person the week before my period and also I hate having periods. Please follow up and let me know how it works for you. Best of luck!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I just wanted to post some info regarding the Paragard IUD. I had asked in here before along with several others about thick, gross discharge with the IUD. Well, when I had my strings checked today the doctor was very surprised that there was that much goo in there and he thought it may be infected and ended up doing a culture. He told me it wasn't normal to have all that discharge. I know that others have said it's a normal side effect, but if you are having discharge and haven't had it checked out you may want to think about it just to be safe.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I just went to pick up my first prescription for lo loestrin fe at a CVS pharmacy and they told me that my insurance didn't cover it and that the cost would be $93.93 PER PACK. That's almost 100 bucks a month. Is this normal? I mean, seriously, WTF? Does anyone know of any way at all to get it cheaper? I have never heard of bc pills being that expensive.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

kdc67 posted:

According to this site, you can possibly get it down to $24 by calling 1-866-395-8367.

Yeah, my Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo started at $45 when I was first on it and kept climbing up to $80 per month. They offer a $15 coupon on their site. Whoopee. That's still absurd. Companies want to get as much money as possible before their patent expires. Loestrin's expires in 2014, and Tri-Cyclen Lo's is 2019. In addition to that, often times unless your insurance deductible's met, they aren't going to pay out on birth control. The other year when my deductible was met, I'd get a refund check from my insurance and only ended up paying about $6 of the $55.

If the card doesn't work out for you, just find out what pills have generics and ask your doctor about switching you. Wal-mart also has a lot of birth controls that are $9. The generic of the regular version of Ortho Tri-Cyclen is one such, and I have to say it's pretty nice. I would think, off the top of my head, if you REALLY need that iron supplement in addition during your periods, you could probably just take one on its own or in a multi-vitamin.

This was very helpful. Thanks. Going to call that number and see what happens.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Going to get my copper IUD taken out tomorrow at 4pm :ohdear: I've had it for a few years. I haven't had a use for it in several though and I'd like my periods to go back to being lighter and less crampy. Wonder if they will let me keep it...

How does that usually compare to getting it inserted? I just remember feeling the clamp which was sharp crampy pain but short enough, and I was able to drive myself home.

My insertion was the most horrible pain I had ever experience, but my removal was a breeze. The cramp was very mild and super quick and I didn't have any cramps afterward. Don't even worry. It's nothing like the insertion.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I have a question about libido, bc pills, and testosterone. After having my copper IUD removed my doctor put me on Lo Loestrin FE (apparently the lowest dose bc pill). I've been on it for 4 months and the only real side effect I've noticed is loss of sex drive. Completely. I reported this to my doctor and he sent me a prescription for testosterone in petrolatum 2%. He said to rub it on the lady parts every day for one week and then 1-3 times per week as needed. He said it's completely safe and will increase my libido. I am worried about the side effects of testosterone so I haven't even filled the prescription yet. Has anyone ever heard of this before or tried it? Any reason not to try it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. DRP Solved!- I just wanted to clarify that I was on Aviane (generic Alesse, i believe) for 6 years prior to the Lo Loestrin. I went off the Aviane to get the copper IUD, but had to have it removed. During that time I realized how a normal person was supposed to feel. I didn't have crazy mood swings several times per day, I felt calmer, and I was actually horny! For the first time ever I actually initiated sex with my boyfriend. Well, after going back on bc pills, this time the Lo Loestrin, I lost the sex drive again. Very similar to the effects of the Aviane. My doc said that more hormones equals more side effects so he is unwilling to try me on any different pills. Since you suggested Alesse and I already have been on that, I am wondering if there is any other pill that may work?

Thanks again everyone for your help. I am definitely not going to do the testosterone just yet, if at all. Hopefully I can find a better pill instead.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Bagleworm posted:

My understanding is that estrogen triggers testosterone production, while progesterone has a negative relationship with testosterone production. So, a low dose or a progestin-only pill has a higher chance of messing with libido because it has more progestin potency than estrogen potency.

I agree that it's weird to be prescribed testosterone, but it also seems like the doctor thought it was a temporary problem (since the prescription was only for a week and then "as needed"). From what I've gathered about other women's experiences with hormonal birth control, things like libido changes are often far from temporary. I, too, would recommend trying a new brand of pill.

This was very helpful! I didn't know any of that information. The doc said I should apply it every week, but it was up to me whether I needed 1, 2, or 3 applications per week. He wrote me like 16 refills so I think he definitely thought this was a long term solution. Definitely will be looking for a new gyno!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Uh wow your doctor is full of poo poo definitely find a new one. But good luck with new options, I hope you can find something that works for you. Keep us updated, we care. :3:

Thanks! I just moved to a new state this past year so trying to find a new doctor has been a pain! I am so glad I asked my question here and got so many thoughtful replies. I will update with *hopefully* good news in the future.

DRP Solved! posted:

I just need to quote this for irony:

From the doctor who prescribed testosterone for decreased libido caused by your birth control pill. :downs:

I would try a pill with a different progestin than the one found in the Loestrin (norethindrone) or Alesse (levonorgestrel), perhaps something like Cyclen (the progestin is desogestrel). As Reformed Tomboy said, finding the right birth control is more of an art form than straight science, so it can take a few tries to find the one most suited for you.

I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to find a new doctor that will work with me on finding the right pill and keep trying until something works. Thank you so much!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Just wanted to update on the birth control pill issue I posted last week. I was the one whose doctor prescribed testosterone for sex drive rather than trying me on a new pill. I decided that I was sick of trying different GYN's so I just went to Planned Parenthood. After a 4.5 hour wait in the waiting room (not joking), I got to go back and talk to an NP for roughly 1 minute. She didn't even sit down and talk to me just stepped in and said she was going to try me on Levora. I was concerned because I believe this is the same progesterone as Aviane, which is what I was on for 6 years and had the same side effects as the Lo Loestrin. I told her about the Aviane, but she said she thought that since Levora had a higher dose of estrogen then things would somehow work out. I'm finishing my current pack of Lo Loestrin and then will start the Levora. It will probably be awhile before I know how it's going to affect me, but hopefully I will have good news. Thanks for your help, ladies! So glad you all convinced me not to do the testosterone.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

AbandonShip posted:

Hi girls. Just have a quick inquiry- is anyone else here familiar with Lo Loestrin Fe? I started on Nuvaring back in December since I was becoming sexually active again, but it made me tired, bitchy, all of those negative side effects and what not. So, my doctor gave me Lo Loestrin... it seems like it's pretty new on the market. Anyways, I'm on my 2nd pack, 2nd week and my period was nowhere to be found. Are missed periods normal on this type of pill? I'm not sure how I feel about it, so I might change to one that gives me a regular period. I guess i'll have to take a pregnancy test just to be sure.. but, not having a period is much more unsettling than I thought it'd be!

I was on it for 4 months after having the copper IUD removed and I never had a period on it at all. I went from crazy IUD periods to nothing, not even spotting. I am not staying on it because it killed my sex drive and turned me into a huge bitch. Hopefully you will have better luck.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone know if it's okay to get a second IUD put in if the first one had to be removed due to infection?

Brief background: I had the copper IUD for about 3 months and when I went to have it checked the doctor said it looked infected and wanted to remove it. He never actually tested it, though, and another doctor that looked at it said it didn't look infected. I made the decision to have it removed anyway.

Now, after having been through several bc pills, I've decided that I just can't handle the side effects any longer and I want to get another IUD because it's the only time in my life I've ever felt normal. Is there any reason why they wouldn't give me another IUD based on the infection that I may or may not have had with the last one? I had the first one inserted at a free clinic and the doctor took FOREVER and appeared to have no clue what he was doing. Now I have insurance so I'd get to go to whoever I want.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Since we're talking about IUDs, I just had an IUD consult today and the doctor heavily encouraged me to go with Mirena over the copper IUD. I told her I've been on several pills and experienced the same side effects (no libido, super bitch) with each one, even super low dose pills. I was almost in tears as I told her how horrible this has been on my relationship. She assured me that I would not have hormonal side effects with the Mirena and that she has never had anyone report low libido on the Mirena. She basically told me that she guarantees I'll have no side effects. I am wondering how she is so confident in this when the brochure she gave me said that decreased libido was reported in about 5-10% of users. What do you guys think about this?

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

As probably came across in my post above, I'm suspicious of hormonal contraceptive measures because they seems to have such staggeringly different effects on different people. Some people they don't do much, some it helps, and some it seems to be hell.

Looking online, I've come across numerous stories of women using the Mirena IUD and having symptoms very similar to what my wife ended up getting when she was on the pill. For an amusingly over-dramatic example see http://www.lifetimemoms.com/family-parenting-tips/blog/mirena-iud-side-effects-or-am-i-crazy

Your doctor assuring you that there are no hormonal side effects from a device that constantly releases hormones into the body seems questionable.

If you want to avoid hormonal side effects, use a non-hormonal device.

EDIT: Here's another rant about side effects: http://www.steadyhealth.com/Mirena_IUD_Side_Effects_t133005.html

Thank you for posting those links. I've been reading through them and I just do not think I am willing to even take the chance with hormones again. I had a copper IUD last year for a few months and felt like a completely different person (in a good way). The only side effect I had really was some weird discharge that I hear is pretty normal and tends to go away after awhile. Periods were a little heavy at first, but nothing horrible. The IUD + menstrual cup combo is the best way to go in my opinion. Best of luck to your wife!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

She absolutely cannot guarantee that and the experience with her other patients has nothing to do with you. Get what you feel is best. I'm seriously curious to why she was pushing Mirena so hard. Do doctors get some kind of commission for certain birth control?

Whoops, totally missed your post. This was kind of what I was thinking because they had all these brochures for the Mirena, as well as a little display of what it looks like. They had absolutely nothing for the Paragard and she immediately dismissed it when I told her that's what I wanted. I am assuming the drug reps are pushing Mirena so she has some incentive to put it in as many people as possible. Maybe this is incorrect, but it certainly seemed like it.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

It's time for another round of "poo poo my doctor says." After being told I'd have no hormonal side effects from Mirena because "it doesn't circulate," I went back and told her I absolutely do not want the Mirena, I'm done with hormones, give me the copper one. She said she was hesitant to do it because the Paragard has not been approved for use in women who have never given birth. She reluctantly agreed, though, once she realized I wasn't budging on the issue. So ladies, is there any truth to this? Also, they gave me two little white pills and told me to take them 6 hours before the insertion. I have no idea what the name is. I was only told that it would make it less painful. They also told me to take 800mg of ibuprofen an hour before. Definitely no shots. I am wondering why they would do shots, like others have mentioned, if there's a pill instead?

Short insurance rant- After calling my insurance company and being assured that they will cover Paragard, I took the actual prescription to the pharmacy only to be told that my insurance didn't cover it. Next step is to have my doctor call and convince them this is the best option for me. Not sure if it will work and if it doesn't I have no idea what I'm going to do because 800 bucks is kind of a lot just for the IUD and that doesn't even include the insertion.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

DRP Solved! posted:

Both IUD types are appropriate for women who have not given birth. The FDA approval doesn't discriminate based on whether or not you've given birth in the past.

The little white pills were likely a drug called misoprostol. Misoprostol has been shown to have zero effect on ease of IUD insertion or pain perceived during insertion. The main reason perpetuating its use during IUD insertion is doctor-to-doctor word of mouth.

Did the pharmacy try calling the insurance company, or did they just say that it wasn't covered based on what showed up on their computer? Typically when a patient says that the medication/medical device should be covered, they'll at least investigate a bit further.

Thank you for this. The pharmacy did call and was still told that it wasn't covered. The pharmacist even asked them why they gave me false information. They said they only cover some pills and no IUDs whatsoever so they are unsure why I was told that.

I am guessing I should find another doctor. This will be my fourth one since moving to LA a year ago. Not sure why I keep having so many issues. If anyone can recommend a good OBGYN in the Torrance or Santa Monica area it would be very much appreciated!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

IUD update! My insurance still refused to cover an IUD even after my doctor called and yelled at them so the clinic staff referred me to a family planning clinic and they said they would give me one for free! They told me to call when I started my period and they would get me in ASAP. Well, I started mine today, called, and they told me to come in right then. I was not prepared for it to be the same day so I completely panicked. Anyway, went in this afternoon, got the Mirena instead of Paragard like I had before. Insertion was hell just like last time. I was even prepared for the pain but still managed to let out a huge moan. Cramping is pretty bad, but manageable with a hot corn pillow and lots of Motrin.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks, Kerfuffle! :) California's health access program is a wonderful thing.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I got Mirena last October so I'm going on a little over 6 months with it. For the first 3-4 months I had periods, but they have gotten lighter and lighter. I haven't bled in about 2 months now except for some random day where I spotted for maybe 12 hours and then nothing since then. I also had pretty bad cramps with mine for the first 5 months, especially during period times. About 2 months ago I got cramps so bad I had to leave work and I could barely drive home. I went to the doctor and they said everything was fine, just probably the IUD equivalent of a bad period cramp. Since then, though, I've had pretty much no cramping. Sometimes during sex I'll get cramps, but usually they go away. Sometimes they don't.

As far as sex drive goes, well, I've never had one, ever, except when I haven't been on some form of birth control. I was hoping that issue would get better with Mirena, but it hasn't. I still have no sex drive and if it weren't for living with my boyfriend, I'd never have sex at all or even think about it. What I have noticed, though, is that even though I never want sex, when my boyfriend tries to get me in the mood, I feel like it tends to happen faster than when I was on the pill. For example, on the pill I never, ever got into sex, but now about 75% of the time I can usually get into it and enjoy it after 15-20 minutes of really trying. Sometimes, though, everything just feels dead down there and I don't enjoy it at all.

My face acne cleared up, but my back acne hasn't. I don't think Mirena affect it much, though, because I know it's only bad because I pick at it! Regarding weight gain/loss, well I've always been about 5-10 lbs underweight and it certainly didn't affect my ability to gain or lose. I'm actually trying to gain right now, but still struggling with it.

I think that's all! I hope this helps. Good luck!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Anyone else here experiencing no libido with Mirena? I don't even really know if it is the Mirena, because I've only been off of BC twice in the past 10 years, but each time I've been off, there has been a noticeable increase in my sex drive; however, it's only been for very short periods of time so may have just been a coincidence. I've had Mirena for about 9 months and all I know is that I do not care at all about sex. If I didn't live with my boyfriend, I'd never have sex, even with myself. When we do have sex, everything feels dead down there. It may begin to feel good after about 20-30 minutes, but sometimes it doesn't ever feel good. Also I usually get cramps during and after sex. Last time I got a horrible one right in the middle of sex and curled up in a ball until the pain went away. This is not even with deep penetration (my bf is very gentle). My questions are: 1) Will this cramping ever go away and 2) Is the Mirena most likely causing the nonexistent libido/lack of sensitivity or should I look into therapy or something before assuming it's the Mirena. I have no idea what the cause is and it's hard to say what a normal sex drive is for me because I've been on BC pills for so long and I've never had a sex drive on the pills. I have posted about this before and thought Mirena was the answer to my sex drive problems, but things haven't gotten better and my relationship is suffering. Sex happens less than once per week and I'm not even into it when it does happen. :(

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I am not on any other meds and am not depressed. I do have a history of anxiety, but I feel like that is actually pretty good at the moment. Not stressed out, either. I just feel like I've never had a sex drive ever and have always assumed it was the BC pills. I thought it would get better since getting the Mirena, but it hasn't so naturally I thought, "Oh, well, looks like Mirena kills my sex drive, too." Maybe since I've always been like this, though, I should look more at psychological factors than just always assuming it's the birth control. I don't want to derail if this is a psychological issue, I just don't know how to tell which it is. I am thinking maybe I should rule out psychological issues first before assuming it's Mirena. If that doesn't help and everything else is ruled out then maybe I will consider other forms of birth control. I was also hoping to hear if other people had issues with sex drive and Mirena because I didn't think it was supposed to be a common side effect. I guess I just am desperately trying to figure this out.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

fork bomb posted:

Maybe take penetration off the table for a while? You could be (unconsciously) psyching yourself out about the possibility of pain, therefore becoming anxious during sex. Ruling out penetration as a factor could help you determine whether or not this issue stems from the birth control or if it's psychological. Give it at least a good month (of active sexuality) and see where you're at.

This is a good idea. I think we may try this. Thank you.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

My 5 years was up so I got my Mirena replaced this past week. I never had a period other than a day of spotting once every 6 months or so. I LOVED IT. My doctor encouraged me to replace it with Skyla due to it being smaller and less hormones. I was hesitant since I did so well with Mirena and I didn't want to take a chance on getting periods again. She assured me if I didn't have periods on Mirena then I wouldn't have them on Skyla since it's the same type of hormone. I really hope she's right!

When I got Mirena put in the first time I swore to god id never do it again. It was the most painful experience of my life. I blacked out, sweated through my clothes, moaned, cried, etc. And I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Well, after 5 years you convince yourself it's worth it to do it again. I told her my reaction last time so she numbed me. I thought this meant it wouldn't hurt. WRONG. Just as bad if not worse than last time. Severe pain lasted about an hour and a half. It's been 4 days and now it's just random mild pain. No bleeding since insertion. Feeling good again. Worth it.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm in month 3 of my Mirena IUD. For those of you that have one, how long did it take for your periods to slow down/stop completely? Mine seem to have gotten worse. Not heavier, but they last longer with slow flow and spotting. That, and the cramps are far worse. If it matters: 35, no kids, generally a regular period that lasts 4-5 days before Mirena, now lasting 7-10 days with Mirena. Also still have occasional spotting randomly during the rest of the month.

Mine took about 6 months then I stopped having periods :D

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I had Mirena for 5 years. Loved it and no problems whatsoever. I got Skyla around September when my Mirena expired. Haven't had sex at all until about February and the sex is a little rougher than I'm used to and there is some pain with penetration. There was an incident recently where we were having sex in a different position and there was a HORRIBLE pain that caused me to curl up in a ball and want to die. No blood or anything. We waited a bit then resumed. Next time we had sex i orgasmed and there was this sharp pinch pain at the beginning of the orgasm. Not severe but kind of killed it for me. Afterward there was quite a bit of blood! No pain though. I haven't bled again so I haven't been to the doctor however I continue to get that sharp little pinch when I start to orgasm. We also cant really do any rough sex because it hurts. I never had this issue with Mirena. Any pain I feel is only during sex; no pain day to day. Anyone else have this problem?

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Pig Head posted:

This is the reason I had my copper IUD removed! I had it for about 5 years having very little (all vanilla) sex. Then met my boyfriend and certain positions would make me ball up in pain as though I was being stabbed up my cervix with a bayonet. The pain would last no more than a minute or 2 but in that time I wanted to die. Went to the doctor, got an ultrasound to make sure the IUD was sitting properly and it was. I put up with that horrible pain - which would get worse before my period started and during - for about 6 months before I gave up and had it removed.

First thing I'd do is get an ultrasound or sonogram - can't remember which one it is but they stick it inside you to see how the IUD is sitting. Getting that done hurt me too which surprised the chick who did it but I never did find out what the cause of the pain was. I really hope you get it figured out and you have my and my ladyparts' sympathy.

Ugh sorry to hear this!! Thanks for the sympathy. I feel like things are gonna be very vanilla till I get this drat thing removed. I'll have it checked first but my experience sounds just like yours. What type of BC did you go on after your IUD was removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Pig Head posted:

I had 2 rounds of Depo and it was awful (though I do know people who didn't have issues with it). After that, I had my tubes removed and couldn't be happier! Good luck and update please. I will send you good juju.

Thank you! I just had the Skyla removed and got the nexplanon. Nexplanon insertion was great! Hoping I don't have the horrible bleeding stories everyone speaks of. I'm used to not having periods!

• Locked thread