Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Anne Whateley posted:

The nutjobbery is all theirs. If you just want to get in, get what you want, and get out, I'd recommend striking up a conversation with the nurse and getting a little TMI pretty quickly: "Oh, I sure am glad I found this shot, isn't it amazing. I used to bleed all the time, you know, and I was afraid I would just bleed so much I wouldn't be able to have babies down the road. But this shot stops all that worry, isn't that a wonderful thing?"

It's lying, but it hurts nobody and it makes your life way, way easier.

I agree with this. I live in an area where it is (sadly) very hard to get birth control. Practically every GYN in this area (at least all of the ones covered by my insurance) are affiliated with the local Catholic hospital and will not prescribe birth control at all. I called a few the other day just to make sure and when I asked one of the receptionists if they prescribed birth control she said "No, but we do counsel on natural family planning." What the gently caress is that?

Anyway, our local Planned Parenthood is renovating and has limited appointments, so I'm driving an extra half an hour to one. Living in the boonies is not fun. Thank God for Planned Parenthood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

DRP Solved! posted:

Can you be a bit more descriptive in what you mean by how you can see when you're ovulating? Do you mean with changes in vaginal mucus consistency?

That method is most effective (but not perfect) during the first 6 months if:
- you're feeding your baby exclusively from breastfeeding;
- the time between feedings is no more than 4 hours during the day and no more than 6 hours at night;
- you feed your baby whenever he/she is hungry.

If those three points aren't met then there's no guarantee that it's preventing ovulation. Also keep in mind that you'll ovulate and thus be fertile before you get your first period, not after.

Even if you do follow these guidelines, it doesn't always work. I would recommend using an additional form form of birth control. My sister thought breastfeeding would be all she needed after her first child, and she was pregnant again within three months.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
When first starting a birth control pill, is it normal to get your period at times other than the placebo week? I've been on Cyclessa for two weeks now. I had some spotting after four days of it and two days ago my period started. Is this nothing to worry about as long as it's not heavy bleeding?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I didn't start taking it at the end of my last period.

Namirsolo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 2, 2011

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Geolicious posted:

Has any lady successfully gotten sterilized without already having kids or a condition that would warrant it?

I think the answer to this is most likely not. Since it is not reversible, doctors are probably terrified of being sued if the person they do it to decides they want kids after all. I think it's really stupid and that they should respect your wishes, but I doubt that you would find a doctor who will do it for you. It's too bad we don't have an equivalent of vasectomies (out patient surgery and reversible).

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Sorry if this has been asked before. Would a Nuvaring prevent a guy from being able to hit the cervix?

When I was on the pill earlier this year it made me seriously depressed, so I'm thinking about other options now and the ring seems best, but the answer to this question concerns me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
This might be a dumb question, but are ultra thin condoms more likely to break? I'm on the pill, but taking an antibiotic, so I'll need a back up method.

Also, is it only while I'm taking the antibiotic that it will affect the pill or will it stay in my system longer?

• Locked thread