Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

barrio speedwagon posted:

Holy balls, that OP is comprehensive.

Morning-after pill trip report, two months afterward: Got it in November for $45 NZD.
Did you buy it from a chemist? That's way expensive! I got it from family planning for $25 NZD and they threw in a big box of condoms for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
IUD getting put in in t-minus 2 hours. I'm a bit nervous about how much it will hurt, or something potentially going wrong :ohdear: but it's being done by a doctor at the family planning clinic who is well experienced with inserting them in women who haven't had children, so I'm sure she knows what she's doing. It's only costing me $30 NZD which is pretty sweet for x years of birth control! They got me to schedule it when I'm on my period, I'm only spotting at the moment but that should be enough for my cervix to be more, uh, pliable, right?

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Yes and many doctors don't even require that you are on your period at insertion, so don't worry too much about that. Just take some ibuprofen now so it has kicked in by your insertion time and be ready to relax later. Having someone drive you back home would be best, as you never know how you'll feel afterwards, but I drove myself home 5 minutes after mine.

Trip report: I took ibuprofen and paracetamol an hour beforehand. All went well :) The doctor was really nice, she explained the procedure really well beforehand and showed each step and which parts would hurt. In the end my cervix refused to open so I had to get a local anesthetic injected to relax it (with a giant needle :gonk:). Apparently this has about a 50/50 success rate, and luckily it worked for me. I won't lie, the whole experience was pretty drat painful, but it was over quickly. I walked/bussed home afterwards. Haven't had any major cramps or excessive bleeding so far, but I think it'll take a few periods for things to really normalise, hopefully things stay this way though! Anyway, yeah, it was all pretty straightforward and professionally done, so it's definitely do-able for a non-child-having woman to get an IUD with no drama. It's a shame it's so tricky for some of you guys in the states - on the other hand, there's no way I'd trust a doctor who was hesitant to put one in me, I was very nervous about perforation beforehand, but my doctor was very experienced which put me at ease.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

Also, will PP do IUDs in a situation like mine? The nearest office is 4 hours away but I'll make the drive if I know they'll do it. They're the ones I went to for Implanon because with my personal doctor it the only real options are the pill or the patch, and neither really work for me.
Ring them first, they did for me, but they had to book me in with a doctor who had experience inserting them in someone who hasn't had kids. They might not recommend an IUD for you if you are already having problems with heavy bleeding though (if you are looking at the paragard, mirena can help lighten periods I think).

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Ho0Ly posted:

I do have a question though. The PP website says it's ok to have sex as soon as you want after having it put in, but one of the nurses said I should wait a week or so, but maybe she was thinking of the Mirena. So how long should I wait?

When I had my copper IUD inserted, the doctor said to wait 74 hours before sticking anything up there - tampons, dick etc. I don't know if they are particularity worried about it getting dislodged or infected, I think it's probably just to give your cervix a break after all that prodding.

My doc called the measuring 'knocking on the door' :gonk: definitely worse than the insertion. Needle in the cervix was the worst part though, since they had to numb mine to get it to open. Despite all that, the copper iud is awesome and I love the feeling of security it gives me instead of getting kind of crazy and paranoid each period.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
Unless she has some specific medical condition, there's no reason she should need a general.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

bobula posted:

I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with planned parenthood for Mirena insertion this Monday. So now I have a few questions for those of you with an IUD!

How much pain medication is generally advised to be taken before the procedure, how long before, and what kind?

What was the worst part of insertion, for you? Were you able to go on about your day/day after?

What about sex? Can I have it the day before (I'll just be starting my period so I probably won't, but I'd like to know if the option is open)?

The woman scheduling my appointment wasn't exactly a font of wisdom, so I hope someone can shed some light here.

E: oh, sorry for the double post!

I was told to take some paracetamol and ibuprofen half an hour before the appt.

The worst part was when they were trying to get my cervix open, it refused to budge. I thought my period had started and it'd all be good as I'd had some spotting, but apparently my vag was just playing tricks on me. So the doctor poking it with the sounding thing ('knocking on the door' she called it) was the worst. Since it wouldn't open on its own they injected my cervix with some anesthetic to relax it (only works about half of the time, luckily it worked for me) and everything after that was hunky dory. The actual insertion was really quick and easy once my cervix opened. Stupid lazy cervix :arghfist::mad:.

They said nothing about sex before iirc, but I wasn't allowed anything up there (wangs, tampons etc) for 72 hours afterwards.

Good luck :) I love my paraguard, I had mine installed on St Patrick's day this year, and my periods are pretty much back to normal now. Should be even better with a mirena!

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

2508084 posted:

she said she would be administering a local anesthetic to my cervix to (possibly?) help with insertion.

I'm getting a needle put in my vagina, y'all :gonk:

I had this done - despite the doctors best efforts to cleft my cervix open with her sounding device :gonk: it wouldn't budge. The injection was a pretty horrible feeling, but it didn't last long, and insertion was a breeze and very quick after that. I'd much rather have had the injection at the start rather than all that poking and prodding.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

2508084 posted:

She did say the numbing wasn't entirely necessary, just that it would help me (pain-wise, I'm assuming). I'm hoping it works and isn't too awful.

In my case the injection was to get my cervix to relax and open. Doc told me there was only a 50/50 chance it would work, and luckily it did. It's not her standard practice to do it by default, though. But I guess if your doc has had a lot of nulliparous patients who have had difficult cervixes, doing the injection from the get-go could save time/pain of getting prodded a lot.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Eponymous Bosch posted:

I did it with 0 painkillers and the best part: My whiney cousin who just gave birth was carrying on and on about how hard birth is so I turned to her at the family dinner (the night after the insertion) and said really loudly.

"Yeah, well I had a piece of metal shoved UP there yesterday and you don't hear me bitching. You think it hurt to get something to fall out? Try that in reverse without the epidural."

That shut her up. :smug:

Uuh yeah getting an IUD is pretty painful but I don't think the two are really comparable given an iud insertion at most might take half an hour (if it's difficult, like mine was), and the thing is about the size of a housekey.

Unless this was a sarcastic post and I'm missing something.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

eggrolled posted:

I'm getting a Mirena within a week. However, due to work I think it is going to end up being inserted a day or two after my period is over. :ohdear: Does anyone have any idea of how much this is gonna suck? My doctor was pretty adamant about trying to get it while I was still on my period, but I can't miss work :(

edit: she also mentioned something about a cervical block if needed, is this the local anesthetic shot?

I think so. I had to make my appointment well in advance and was supposed to schedule it for when my period was due - which was a bit of a crapshoot, since I'd recently come off the pill. I thought my period had started when I went in to get it inserted, but it turns out it was just random spotting and my cervix refused to budge - I could have come back later, but the appointments at family planning are really hard to get, I would have had to wait another 1-3 months and I was over using condoms after coming off the pill. They did the injection, my cervix relaxed and they were able to insert the IUD - The doc tells me this only works about 50% of the time. There are also women who go to have the IUD inserted while not on their periods that have no trouble at all, it all depends on how your cervix is feeling that day I suppose. I think it's also good to just try and stay relaxed while the doc is poking around in there - luckily they stationed a nurse up by my upper half during the procedure, I guess for the sole purpose of chatting to me to keep me distracted/relaxed while the doc poked around. Was a really good idea.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I don't trust condoms myself, but used them solely for about 4 months between going off the pill and switching to an IUD due to some stupid circumstances. Would she be willing to take a morning after pill if a condom split? We had one break due to carelessness, but it was mutually understood between us that I would take a morning after pill in the event, which I did. You guys should talk about that.

As far as I know the pull out method is a terrible idea (that's what the rhythm method is, right?). Natural family planning in addition to condoms could offer a bit more protection if you're not comfortable just using condoms and she's well in touch with her cycle (I mean avoiding sex when she's ovulating/fertile and using condoms when she isn't, not going bareback any time but, which some people do), but if she's coming off the pill her cycle will probably be unpredictable for quite a while.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
On that note, I was at the pub with a couple of girlfriends the other night, and after our drinks came out, one of them just casually pulls out her pill packet and swallows one down with a swig of cider. My other friend and I just looked at her incredulously.

:eek:: "Classy dude. Is that the same time you take your pill every day?"

:j:: "Oh, no, I can't really keep a regular schedule, but you have like a 24 hour window"

:confused:: "Uuuh, I'm pretty sure it's 12 hours from the time you'd normally take it"

:j:: "I'm not going to get pregnant, anyway, poo poo happens"

:eek: :confused:: "Your baby is gonna be so cute man, can't wait to meet it in nine months"

:j:: >:-(

She claims she doesn't want kids until she's thirty, and then goes and does stuff like that. Guuuh. I mean, I know she could get lucky and be totally fine taking it at random times every day, but why on earth would you take the risk? I get the feeling people who act that way, even if they won't admit it out loud, at least subconsciously must want to get knocked up. Either that or are just plain irresponsible, who knows.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I think they would love a card! I know the staff at my local family planning all work super hard and are always so busy - you'll probably make their day.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

JustinMorgan posted:

Wasn't sure where would be a good place for me to ask this, but someone here might be able to help me. I have the Paraguard IUD, which means I have heavy, bloaty, long periods. Luckily, they're always right on schedule. And I'm due to have one when I'm on vacation the end of July.

I really don't want to be bloaty, crampy and worrying about changing tampons while I'm on vacation. Suggestions? I've been on bc pills before as well as Nuva Ring and they both made my periods super light and managable. Would I be able to go to my gyno and ask for this? Do I have any other options?

I find since getting my paragard (and the heaver periods that come with it) if I make sure to take a couple of ibuprofen each day of my period right from the start, it is way more manageable. Lighter *and* shorter (3-4 days vs 7). I remember reading somewhere - maybe here? - that it can lessen your bleeding, and even if it is a placebo effect it seems to work for me.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
This is the copper IUD we use in NZ, and I think in Europe as well? The Multiload:

Kind of reminiscent of the Dailkon, but flexible.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
For those of you who've had your paragard removed, did your periods go back to how they were pre-paragard? Or were they permanently heavier/crampier? I'm currently in the middle of a heavy paragard period and thinking back (possibly with rose coloured glasses) to how light and cramp-free my periods were in the 6 months or so between getting off the pill and getting the IUD inserted.

I'm thinking about having it removed in the next couple of months and just going back to condoms. My partner and I are getting married in a couple of months and plan to start a family in the next year, so the 'risk' of only using condoms isn't as bad as it has been at other points in my life. Plus I'd like to give my uterus some time to recover. (I don't know why I feel the need to justify this to the internet, I feel like a naughty teenager being cavalier with their birth control when I've always been so cautious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
Well, I took my paragard out. On my first period since and it's amazing by comparison. I really loved the convenience factor of the IUD, but the tradeoff is no longer there for me. I may go on it again some day, but I think my long term BC after sprogs will have to be getting my tubes tied or my partner having a vasectomy. My periods are SO much better with no hormones or devices, it's like night and day.

• Locked thread