Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Is there any miracle birth control I've overlooked that will make my periods go away, and not have hormonal side effects like depo does.

I currently have a Paragard, got it over 2 years ago. It made my periods heavier for the next month after insertion by FAR, then very heavy for about 6 months til it feels like now it's back to normal pre-paragard, if not slightly heavier. I might get it out next obgyn pap visit on the offchance my periods could be lightened. Is there a light/low pill that might make my moods better, not cause weight gain or other bad side effects, and lighten period? I already get fairly moody and depressed once a month (it's almost like clockwork, for a few days I can cry for no reason) and I don't want something that makes women gain weight generally, I'm obese and trying to lose weight. And I don't even care about it's reliability, my long term monogamous partner (~*~FIANCEE~*~) cannot get me pregnant.

Sorry if I glanced over anything relevant in the OP. Thanks in advance! :shobon:

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I've heard nothing but horror stories about depo, cuz the the insane level of hormonal spiking every few months. Weight gain, moodiness, periods lasting months, etc. I definitely want none of that.
Maybe mirena though... Any ladies here experienced bad side effects with mirena?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I was outdoors in the desert today working and turns out it was the first day of my period AKA every four hours I have to call a stop work and take the company vehicle across the dunes to the one bathroom on the power plant meanwhile praying the cup doesn't explode all over the car seat in those five minutes.

Thinking of getting the paragard pulled just to see if it will calm this tsunami the gently caress down. Good luck to you ladies with yours!

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Cracker Jack posted:

Not at all. Had mine taken out at the campus health center (I'm in school) and it made me a little crampy but otherwise I was fine. Apparently a really high percentage of women get them out cause of the increased bleeding/cramping. But I held out for 2 years and for some reason it went from tolerable to intolerable.

Sounds like how I feel right now! Good to know what to expect if I want it done. Do they have to clamp your cervix again or do they just pull on the strings?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I had been thinking Paraguard since I can't seem to find anyone to consent to giving me Mirena in this area. Though, you fine folks in the thread suggested PP might help out in either case, even though I don't have kids.

But, uh, yeah, gently caress Paraguard if it's going to make my periods worse. That and ovarian cysts is why I started BC in the first place. I don't need to go back there. I'm about to start a job where I am going to be in a pit mine ALL day. I don't need any crazy period drama.

Yeah I'd reconsider. First month I had my paraguard in I was doing vibration testing in the field and I kept having to leave my monitors and use the loving construction site's portapotty about every 2 hours to not bleed all over the place. Ain't nothing fun or sanitary about that.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Volcano posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on the no bleeding thing - that only happens to a lucky 20%.

Anybody know what the rate of never having a period again on Mirena is?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

JustinMorgan posted:

Why? How would you you know if you're in the 1% of people the pill fails for even when used perfectly? And how can the Paraguard and the depo shot have different perfect/ typical failure rates?
Source

Because god wants us to procreate.

You'd know it failed if someone got pregnant. It's not like you're always gonna be the 1 person per hundred people a year to get pregnant. It's just the statistics.

Paraguard and depo aren't the same thing? :psyduck:

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 11, 2011

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

I think she's just mentioning them together as low maintenance birth controls that have minimal user error.

Then why not the mirena?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Oh ok I misunderstood the phrasing.

As for the IUDs, if your IUD has migrated or expelled partially and you didn't notice, because you didn't check the strings every period or whatever, that would be typical use I'm guessing, not perfect usage.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Lanthanum posted:

So they are working so hard for this pill not to gently caress with mens sex drives, but when ours decreases due to contraception thats a ok? That seems a bit silly to me

I think there's options of trying another pill or drug if that side effect is bothering you, with all the varieties and dosages there are in pills, also there are non hormonal methods. Whereas testosterone levels will affect libido and performance always, directly, I think.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Moto Punch posted:

IUD getting put in in t-minus 2 hours. I'm a bit nervous about how much it will hurt, or something potentially going wrong :ohdear: but it's being done by a doctor at the family planning clinic who is well experienced with inserting them in women who haven't had children, so I'm sure she knows what she's doing. It's only costing me $30 NZD which is pretty sweet for x years of birth control! They got me to schedule it when I'm on my period, I'm only spotting at the moment but that should be enough for my cervix to be more, uh, pliable, right?

Yes and many doctors don't even require that you are on your period at insertion, so don't worry too much about that. Just take some ibuprofen now so it has kicked in by your insertion time and be ready to relax later. Having someone drive you back home would be best, as you never know how you'll feel afterwards, but I drove myself home 5 minutes after mine.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Vienta posted:

Hello again, BCM! You may remember me from such memorable posts as, "OMG, my abdomen is swelling because of Nuvaring," and, "Why hormones, WHY!?"

I'm back because I am beginning to suspect my doctor, though she means very well, may have less combined experience than the women in this thread. So here's the deal-- can anyone else who is hormonally-sensitive tell me of birth control that didn't give them cuh-razy side effects? I know, I know, everyone is different, but for the record here are my past experiences:

Depo: Extreme acne -- though now that I've had additional reactions on other progestin-only methods I'm scared.
Ortho-Tri: Crazy mood swings, Edit: and weight gain, of course
Yaz: Slightly brain-addled, hungry, mood swings, weight gain, lost my period after two months and felt pregnant the entire time
Alesse: Hungry, mood swings, weight gain
Errin/generic micronor: Hungry, acne, CHEST HAIR(!!!), lost period after 1 month
Nuvaring: Bloating, weight gain, ridiculous mood swings, lost period after 1 month

I hate condoms, and would prefer to not use them. I also recently tried the diaphragm, which is out because my boyfriend can feel it even when it's properly inserted and it hurts him. :ohdear:

So that's where SA comes in. I am a little scared to get an IUD because I already have horrendous periods (when I am off of birth control and can actually get them)/haven't had kids/have a super sensitive cervix. Not to mention, with my reaction to hormones I don't want to take a chance on something that may still mess me up and require removal. My last option seems to be permanent sterilization... which is pretty extreme. Help me birth control megathread, you're my only hope!

(PS. I'm in the U.S., and can only get the Rxs they have here)

You probably don't want to try the copper IUD unless as a last resort, because it will make your periods more painful and heavy, but the Mirena might work, and like others have said the hormones are supposed to be more localized and not systemic so MAY not cause all the horrible side effects of pill BC for you. It's rather easy to get out if after a month or two it's giving you bad side effects. Usually pretty cheap covered by insurance too.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Going to get my copper IUD taken out tomorrow at 4pm :ohdear: I've had it for a few years. I haven't had a use for it in several though and I'd like my periods to go back to being lighter and less crampy. Wonder if they will let me keep it...

How does that usually compare to getting it inserted? I just remember feeling the clamp which was sharp crampy pain but short enough, and I was able to drive myself home.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight while on hormonal birth control? If so, could you give me the name of whatever you were doing?

I'm 23-years old and my BMI is at the lower end of the obese range. Despite cutting fast food, sodas, junk food, etc out of my diet and exercising four times a week with running and weight lifting, I still have yet to lose more than five pounds in the past four months. I definitely feel more energetic and I'm noticeable stronger and I can run longer--but somehow, my shape isn't changing.

Before I got on the depo shot, I would shed about ten pounds and get in the upper end of the healthy range just because I was running regularly or taking a break from junk food. I did this twice in the past four years, when I was 19 and 21, usually when I found out that my BMI was edging on the middle of the "overweight" range, so I would start exercising to get back to a healthier weight. I'd have to put effort into avoiding bad foods and exercising a couple times a week, but I didn't work nearly as hard as I am now and I still had much faster results.

I'm just starting to wonder if the shot might be affecting my metabolism, and if maybe I should change to a different method. I do work at a call center, so I'm sedentary for eight hours a day (whereas I was walking around a college campus at age 19 and 21). I'm really not sure if it's the birth control or the change in my activity level due to graduating from school and taking a highly sedentary job.

I keep reading about the paraguard and nuva ring, but I feel so nervous when I think about the procedure and having a potential complication. :\ This might be tmi, but I really enjoy being fingered, and I feel scared when I think about the strings getting dislodged or something. I spoke with my gynecologist about this and she said that an "inserted" birth control possibly could get damaged by that sort of activity. I also like the idea of being able to just easily stop a procedure--by no longer taking pills, by not scheduling another depo injection, etc--if one method isn't working for me, and I don't know if I could easily do that with a paraguard or a similar method.

I really hope I'm not coming off as over-concerned about my weight--I suppose I'm just exploring my options.

(EDITED for clarification)

I had to go to the gyno yesterday to get my paragard out, but it was a very fast procedure with no copay. Not even considered an office visit. E: For the record since I never reported back, it was super easy, I was really nervous but it was a much smaller cramp than what I remember the insertion being, however i felt like my uterus didn't release the cramp for a good minute or so, and I felt a bit queasy, but soon it as fine. The doc just asked why I wanted it out, I said I haven't needed birth control for years cuz I have a girlfriend now, and I wanted to try and get my lighter and less crampy periods back, and he was like yeah you probably will! Sadly they didn't let me see it they just wrapped it up and threw it in biohazardous waste. Dang I should have asked, I wanted to see it...

Anyway, risk of complications with modern practices and IUDs is practically nil. The strings can be cut really short if you want them to be. I liked mine left sort of long, cuz then they curl up and sit past the cervix, practically unreachable. But sometimes if you cut the string super short, it can make it harder to check the IUD is in proper position or has moved at all, without an ultrasound procedure. And the short pokey end of the string, which is line thin-gauge plastic fishing line I think, can poke your partner...

I'm fairly sure weight gain problems are common to the depo shot. You could try some other pill or the nuva ring before stepping to the IUD if you think it will help. Nuvaring you can also just decide to take out whenever you want. I had one in for a few weeks and it was giving me weird hormonal mood swings and stomach problems so I just took it out.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 30, 2011

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Ho0Ly posted:

I tried to time my appointment to line up with my period, but my period ended up coming a few days early, so today's appointment was at the tail end of the period. And now I'm bleeding all over again, so it's like an extended period... Yay? Still kinda worried about the strings, and I wish she'd had me check them before I left just so I'd know :(

My strings were quite long, but I liked it this way rather than too short. They'll soften up after a few days in you and for me I was able to curl up and lodge them behind my cervix where it's very hard to reach. They never really fell down, I checked whenever I changed my cup at first then realize they were staying put curled up behind that bump so I wasn't paranoid about it anymore. It's better than too short cuz then those can't be tucked away and will just poke your partner or always get in your cup or tampon or whatever's way.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BigGayLogan posted:

Yeah. All of these other options are pretty scary, especially the side effects. I'll say it again: the pill made me rapidly gain weight that I can't get rid of, I suspect the pill's also contributed to my ongoing depression, and it pretty much killed my sex drive (not that I need it anymore anyway). The only good thing I like about it is that I somewhat get to control my periods and it really does reduce the cramping (but doesn't eliminate them). I just want to try something different that won't make me bleed at all, and with little to no unpleasant side effects.

As far as I know in terms of infections, I'm clean, but I'm just paranoid especially after being with that walking cesspool, hence going to get tested Wednesday.

Plenty of childless women under 30 scared of pain and heavy periods have gone with the mirena and not regretted it. I believe the weight gain or libido effects typical of oral hormonal birth control are not really a side effect of it, correct me if i'm wrong someone.

I had the paragard inserted at 22 no problems. It made my periods heavier and crampier for several months but then returned to pretty much normal. I wouldn't recommend it if you already have problems with cramps or heavy periods though, but I'd consider the mirena seriously if I were you.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BigGayLogan posted:

I got sent home with a pamphlet all about Mirena as well as a refill for my pills. She told me to take my time to think about it and once I'm ready to go make an appointment for the insertion. Which brings me to my next question: when's a good time to get an IUD inserted, and what about my pills? I will get my period in two weeks if it matters.

Cool!
You should have asked her that. Most doctors say during your period so maybe call back and make an appointment for just after 2 weeks from now, whenever you are sure you will have started the placebo pills and started bleeding I guess.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

While we're on the topic of IUD's... I finally have my appointment set to get my paragard removed! :) Does it make a difference if I'm on my period or not? I'm going to be so happy to have it gone.

My gyno wanted me on mine for it.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

uptown posted:

The doctor and I chatted for a few minutes before she started the IUD procedure. She first swabbed my cervix with iodine in order to clean it, and then inserted a metal sound (a rod thingy with a spherical end) and measured the length the IUD would have to be, or something like that. IT HURT. I cannot even begin to describe the pain. It felt like I was getting stabbed, and I broke into a full-body cold sweat. I was literally gasping, whimpering, and moaning in pain. As an aside, I normally have a high pain threshold. I have tattoos, a split tongue, piercings where the sun doesn't shine, hell, I had my entire big toenail ripped off when someone accidentally kicked me in the foot when they walked past me. None of the "painful" things in my life have ever compared to that pain. But it got worse! The IUD insertion itself... My uterus clamped itself onto the IUD or something, and spasmed when she inserted it. It was horrible. I screamed. Not a shriek, a SCREAM. I was babbling "please stop" and other things like that, too. I felt like such a wimp :(

After she was done trimming the wire, she told me to take as long as I needed in the room to recover and then I could get dressed and go. She left the room after a few minutes, and I just lay there in fetal position trying to feel better. She checked up on me a few minutes later, too. When I thought I was okay, I got up to put my clothes on. I got my panties on, then realized I was going to pass out. I sat down with my head between my knees as my vision went blue. I lay down again, and phoned my mom in the waiting room and asked her to come sit with me. I am SO glad she had come with me, I would not have been able to get home on my own. At this point I was still a little incoherent, and wanted to cry. When I finally got my clothes on and was ready to leave, I asked my mom to buy me a pop so I could get some sugar into my system, and that made me feel a LOT better. I still had some cramping and general gross feelings, but by the time I got home, maybe a 30 minute drive, I was feeling almost good as new. Thank goodness, because the doctor had told me beforehand that if I had cramping, it could last for hours or even a few days.

I think you are describing the sounding, which is what feels like a really strong cramp for most people (did for me), but you clearly had a vasovagal reaction with it going through your cervix. Many people do have that reaction to cervical stuff as just discussed in this thread. hTat and the 'clamping onto' the cervix as I've heard it described is what usually causes it for folks. I'm fairly sure the back/top wall of the uterus doesn't have any sensation that you'd feel?, but that it can start cramping in reaction to the prodding (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Anyway that sucks, and I really hope it at least gives you years of worry-free BC for that pain it was and I'm glad your mom was there for you.

I was given no numbing agent on my cervix and I was not prescribed that cervix-softening pill to take either beforehand, but I believe they told me to take ibuprofen a couple hours before. I think I was advised to have someone take me if I could, but I couldn't so drove myself, and luckily I didn't have any sort of bad reaction so I was fine driving myself home a few minutes later.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Insurance usually covers most of IUDs, you really have to ask the doctor's office to run your insurance policy through and see what it would cost you. My paragard was only $100 for me with my insurance, gyno office visits 1x a year was free (out of pocket anyway). If you have lovely insurance or low income, PP may be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Does anybody have any ideas if a low dosage birth control would help with the acne i'm still getting at over 30 years old? Getting a little old, kinda clashes with my grey hair.
I have had the mirena for almost 2 years and that's all good, i don't think it changed anything. My face just seems to produce so much sebum, i have no dry patches whatsoever. Been doing a regimen of gentle cleansing and toning, korean face care masks, non comedogenic moisturizers, a salysilic acid lotion, and i've tried all the treatments like proactiv in the past which only chemically burned my face.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 4, 2017

• Locked thread