Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010
So I've been on an oral contraceptive (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo) for just over a year now. I was prescribed it for a) hormonal acne and b) exacerbated-by-womanly-hormones anxiety/depression. Results have been great with the former, all right with the latter.

It has, however, murdered my sex drive. This is problematic now that I am in a long-term, monogamous relationship. I miss orgasms something fierce. :smith:

I'm not really sure what my other options for contraceptives are, though, insofar as I have multiple 'needs' to deal with. I'd like to not have a face full of acne again as a 23 year old, for one, which sort of prevents me from going 'welp, see ya' to hormone-based BC. I also do not want to subject myself to a massive dose of hormones that come with methods like Depo-Provera, as my mental health is in no way capable of dealing with those sorts of mood swings/sensitivities. (Also, that probably wouldn't solve the sex drive issue.) I've looked at IUD methods, but as I have a history of metal allergies (any nickel whatsoever = rash that lasts until the end of time), I'm leery about them, too.

Basically: is there a magical BC method that would give me back my sex drive, have no ill effect on my mental health, leave me allergic reaction-free and also acne-less? I have this sinking feeling that something's going to have to suffer no matter what I opt for... help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010

NaturalLow posted:

Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo did the same thing to me - improved acne, improved moods, no sex drive. My doctor switched me to regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and I feel much better (and hornier) on it. :) It has a higher dose of estrogen which apparently is helpful for this sort of thing.

I don't know if it would do the same for you, but it worked for me.

That's brilliant to hear. I'll be looking into making that switch (and discussing my Mirena-related options; thanks for the info, Eggplant Wizard) as soon as my doctor gets back from one of her interminable vacations.

• Locked thread