Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Neko Sou posted:

On my 3rd month of Jolessa (Wal-Mart generic for Seasonale) and I just started bleeding out of nowhere for over a week now. I was a couple weeks away from my first scheduled period when this started. My gynecologist had all but promised me I'd be bleeding a lot so I was surprised when it never happened (until just recently). Is this going to keep going until my period starts? :smith: I can't have sex with my husband when I'm on my period (religious reasons) and I've never used a tampon (before it was religious reasons but now that I'm married I'm scared it will be too painful) but I'm starting to get desperate. I want to get a Brazilian but I can't do it when this is going on. It's just enough bleeding to prevent me from doing the stuff I want to do but it's not a real period. Help anyone? :(

Like NaturalLow suggested, I would try out a slim/junior/light flow tampon if you're experiencing "just enough bleeding to prevent me from doing the stuff I want to do but it's not a real period." I prefer Playtex Gentle Glide brand- the applicator is made of rounded plastic (which doesn't hurt at all) and it's very easy to use.

rainbow kittens posted:

Oh. My. Gosh. So, I am finally taking week 13 of Seasonale. The placebo week. I had been spotting/bleeding since my second week on this, with a very short week sometime in the second month where I didn't bleed at all. I would take the spotting days over this!

I've been bleeding heavily for the past three days. I feel lethargic, and it's like "crap, am I going to need a transfusion?"

I am really hoping that my doctor was correct when he said that when I start the second pack my body will calm the fffff down. Because this is unbearable! The cramps suck, too. 400mg of ibuprofen touches nothing.

I've never taken Seasonale but I've been in a situation of extreme bleeding. The advice I've gotten from doctors is that you're okay as long as you're not "soaking through a pad faster than once an hour." I assume the formula would translate to tampons in the form of 1 per hour. So don't worry too much about your heavy bleeding unless it keeps up at this rate for like 2+ weeks or you have side effects from blood loss (such as passing out, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Avocadoes posted:

So my girlfriend is allergic to latex. We are poor, both 18, and still live under our parents' rule so that really takes out any fancy contraceptive ideas we have. Most of the fancier methods look like they'd require doctors visits, and since we still live under our parent's insurance it looks like they'd find out. Also the cost is kinda high up there too.Looks like the most sensible solution for us will be non-latex condoms. I seriously hope they are available at the local pharmacy, which I think they are. I know the cost is a bit higher too, but still reasonable. Right now im considering polyurethane...

However im totally confused about how their effectiveness is compared to normal condoms. Some sites say they are worse at protecting compared to latex, while some say they're equal, while some say they are even better at protecting against pregnancy. I mean is there a really big difference?

And is there any fallacies i've made in my logic so far?

Edit: Or I could just ask mom and dad...that would be easiest. As you can see both parents on either side would flip if we had sex before marriage even though there's no law against it. And despite what most folks say I cant just go "Im 18 now I can live my own life" because respectfully I still leech off of mom and pops resources.

Doubleedit: I read the OP twice already, checked other websites. Most of this question is just verifying that I got everything understood correctly, as well as ask a few questions I have.

Your gf could go see an OB/GYN on her own and get on a birth control regimen. Depending on her insurance, you guys would probably just have to pay co-pay and prescription costs. If her parents ask why she's going she could tell them that she's going in for a pap (girls should start to get those yearly around this age/when they begin to be sexually active). It wouldn't be a lie either since most gynos check you out once they have you in their clutches.

Jumpsuit posted:

Implanon trip report! I had it put in...2 weeks ago now? So I guess I'll be waiting another few weeks to find out if I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't bleed.

The scar is about 8mm, still obvious, and I got a ton of bruising afterwards despite heavy bandaging, yay. Here's a pic - I still have faint bruising over the implant site and it's been really itchy. The booklet says it's normal and due to healing, but it's still pretty annoying.

I'm in Australia and it costs me about $40 to get it put in. I don't remember how much the actual implant cost.

Also this may be a dumb question...but is there any possibility that the implant can break inside your arm? It just feels so flimsy in there :(

No, it won't break! The "flimsiness" of the rod actually lends itself to not breaking. If it was rigid it would have a greater likelihood of snapping.

And the itchiness will go away once you start to forget that the Implanon is there. I think that's mostly a psychosomatic symptom- I'll still get random itchiness and I'm almost a year into my second Implanon.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Scurvy posted:

I'm currently on Mircette (or its generic), and have been for at least 6 years. For the past two years, I've been bugging my gyno about Implanon, because the idea of not having to be a slave to pills every day really appeals to me. However, she's always been dismissive and tells me that my current form of BC works fine, and so there's no need to switch. I told her why I wanted it (convenience, not to mention lower chance of human error), and she says, "that's not a good enough reason to switch."

I don't know, this isn't an acceptable answer for me. If there was a medical reason to keep me on Mircette, I'd be fine with it. Is there something I'm missing? I'm perfectly healthy otherwise, I'm not overweight, my period has always been regular and light. I'm fairly certain my insurance would cover at least some of the cost, too.

Should I just resign myself to taking Mircette forever, or should I look into finding a new doctor?

Reformed Tomboy posted:

You'll have to readjust to a new type (and the implant takes longer than the standard three months to get used to) and you may have side effects (not to mention lack of period regulation). It costs a lot to insert if you don't go to PP, and if you have side effects you will have to have it removed.

It didn't take me longer than 3 months to get used to Implanon, it took me about 2 days to get used to it. The day after insertion I had a general feeling of malaise (mild flu-like symptoms) but I was fine the day after that. My arm was sore at the insertion site for a couple of weeks (bruising, etc). After the first couple of weeks, when your arm stops hurting, you forget it's even there.

Reformed Tomboy is correct in the fact that Implanon does not regulate your period. I've had two episodes of prolonged ragging (3+ weeks) in the four years that I've used Implanon and my schedule is not clockwork regular. However, the awesome coverage plus the generally regular (monthly and duration wise) schedule has made Implanon totally worth it.

Implanon does cost a lot if you don't get it subsidized by insurance/Planned Parenthood/etc, but there are avenues out there available to you. The removal process is a piece of cake: they numb up your arm, make a small incision and pull it out. I got my first Implanon removed and my second put in during the same appointment and the procedures only took about 10 minutes combined.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, that's a bullshit attitude. She at least has to explain why instead of saying "nope, I won't let you." Convenience is a totally legit reason to try it, especially if you think you can handle the side effects.

I would bet that she isn't approved to insert Implanon (you have to go to a training session) but she doesn't want to lose your business. I would find a new doctor just because she's so dismissive and it doesn't sound like she really has your best interests at heart.

Agreed that this is a bullshit attitude. Most health care professionals are so happy to be preventing pregnancy that they won't hassle you about switching unless there's a serious medical reason for objecting. Since your doctor didn't give you a reason (which would be the first objection she made), I believe Anne Whateley is right about the fact that your doctor is probably not trained in Implanon insertion/removal. There were only two doctors trained at my huge Kaiser Women's Health center.

Look around Scurvy. There are professionals out there who are both trained for Implanon and who act like an adult.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

PoliSciGirl posted:

Today I got my Implanon out and a new one inserted. Wish me luck on another 3 years of easy birth control.

:hfive: second round of implanon buddy!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Lanthanum posted:

I'm normal toward everyone else, but toward my boyfriend I've become this super bitch, and I really dont want anything to do with him. I'm currently furious with him, I dont know why, he hasnt done anything to warrant this feeling, yet I cant stop being mad at him. :( I miss him and dont want anything to do with him at the same time

You might want to look at other aspects happening in your life directly or peripherally related to the relationship and/or him. One of the great things about Implanon is the stability of the hormones (as opposed to the roller coaster ride from Depo).

Did you just get your Implanon? I hope that it is just your body settling in but in my experience it only took about two days to get past the hormone adjustment. Granted, I'm talking about physical side effects rather than emotional but everyone is different. v:shobon:v

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Afaik, vasectomies are not as big of a deal as tubal ligations because vasectomies are an outpatient procedure and tubal ligation is major surgery.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Implanon is all over the place. I've had a 3 day cycle with weeks between the next go to a continuous rag for almost 2 months. The uncertainty is inconvenient but overall the coverage is so worth it. :cool:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Powdered Toast Man posted:

My wife and I are new to using condoms, so I had a couple of questions that I couldn't find answered elsewhere, e.g. Planned Parenthood.

Basically, I have measured myself and I'm about five inches long, but from what I'm seeing the typical condom length is more like seven inches. What am I supposed to do with the extra? Should I pull it all the way down the shaft and sort of bunch it up at the bottom, or leave it baggy at the top? Or am I misinterpreting the dimensions that I'm reading and is that just "stretch room"? I ordered some of the snugger Beyond Seven condoms from Condomania and they got good reviews, so we'll see how it goes I guess.

That's good that you ordered snugger condoms to err on the side of caution but tbh you fall smack dab in the average size, so standards condoms should work fine on you. Idk if you've ever seen videos of people blowing up condoms and putting them over their heads but they are made with lots of stretch.

This is kinda introductory sex ed but you should apply a condom by pinching the tip between your thumb and forefinger then unrolling the rest over your penis down to the base of your shaft. The extra material will stay rolled up at the base where it should fit snugly.

The only time you need to worry about condoms being too big is if they're falling off. That's why people who rely on condoms as their primary mode of birth control should immediately pull out after ejaculation (because as the penis softens there is a greater likelihood of semen escaping the condom).

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Olphij posted:

I have had the Paragard for nearly 4 years now and noticed an increase in cramping. Taking Advil or Aleve helps me, also cuddling up with a heating pad at night.

Does anyone have experience with the Implanon hormonal implant? I am having my iud taken out early next month and would like input from people who have used this. I had many emotional ups and downs while taking triphasic BCPs (Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Tri-Sprintec, the generic version) and Ortho-Evra patches and don't want to have those again.

There's quite a few of us who've posted about Implanon in this thread. Generally (with one poster as the exception), Implanon is great for hormone stability which in turn keeps emotions stable. I'm on my second Implanon and I love it.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

ilysespieces posted:

Went in for my Implanon consultation today, I should be hearing back within the next 2 weeks about insurance/test results and hopefully can get it done during my next pill placebo week. I'm a little nervous about the random spontaneous bleeding that I have been warned against, but I am going to give it a go. Plus it's covered by insurance hopefully, which is much better than $30/month on the pill.

I love my Implanon so much! The irregular bleeding does suck but it's like the only thing that one can complain about and it's really more of an inconvenience than anything else.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

DrNewton posted:

I am allergic to Lube. Nasty stuff it does to me. So I have been given a nice brand new years worth of non lube condoms for free. Great.

I was told by the lady at the birth control center that I could use Vaseline as a substitute for lube. I am assuming the woman knows what she is talking about but I want to double check. Is it safe?

What are other mterials I could use for lube?
What is the water based lube like? Anything not made my human chemicals I can use.

Last thing. I am really "juicy" down there. Can I just use my natural juices as lube or is this a big no-no?

Thanks for helping me out!

First of all, lube is fun for those in need and those in non't (thanks Geolicious). Secondly, don't ever use Vaseline when your main form of bc is condoms. Vaseline (and all other forms of oil based lube) weakens condoms.

Thirdly, the safest bet is to not rely on condoms whatsoever.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Fourthy, the safest bit of bc is either abstinence or user-proof bc, like shot, implant or IUD.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Sorry, I was not implying that one shouldn't use lube at all even if one had enough natural lubrication. I was just trying to point out that natural lubrication is OK on it's own if it works and will not damage condoms. I apologize if what I said sounded otherwise.

Nah, you're fine. I was just teasing. You should give lube a try sometime, just for funsies. ;)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

2tomorrow posted:

So I've been on Implanon for a little over a year now and at first it was great, but the last 2 months have been miserable. Constant bleeding, most of it fairly heavy (for me, I've always had fairly light periods on or off BC, this is like a full-on period for me) with a week or two of fairly heavy spotting then back to the flow. Needless to say this is not making me happy. Previously I was only having light spotting or sometimes a light period every couple of months.

Has anyone else had this experience, especially starting so suddenly about a year in? Is there anything I can do short of having the implant removed? Should I give it more time to even out again or am I likely to be dealing wtih this for awhile. I seriously loved Implanon before but I can't deal with this.

Kind of building on that, if I do switch BC methods I want to try an IUD but my OBGYN won't give them to women who haven't had children (I'm even in my 30s WTF). How can I "doctor shop" for one who would be willing to at least discuss the possibility with me? I'm in a rural area so health care is often a long drive so if I just call and ask will they tell me if they have restrictions like that? Or do I have to just keep giving it a try and seeing what they say? Basically I'd just like to hear how others who have had to shop around to find someone to do it have gone about it.

Also, will PP do IUDs in a situation like mine? The nearest office is 4 hours away but I'll make the drive if I know they'll do it. They're the ones I went to for Implanon because with my personal doctor it the only real options are the pill or the patch, and neither really work for me.

I'm on my second Implanon (4+ years using this method), and I've had an experience like yours. It was lovely and way inconvenient but it did pass. And even with that episode factored in plus all the other times of irregularity, the wonders of Implanon have still outweighed all other methods of birth control that I've used.

You can't beat it's effectiveness, and you don't have to suffer the the pain of IUD (not to mention the ickiness of having something in your cooch). You gotta admit that a lil prolonged bleeding is worth it considering the overall marvelousness of Implanon.

I hope you'll stick it out, especially considering that you've loved your Implanon up until now.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

It's just the way bodies are designed. Fingers are dexterous and finger pads are packed with nerve endings, which enable us to have fine motor skills. Dicks just aren't that discriminating. :)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I know there are a bunch of us with Implanon now (yay!). I just got mine replaced. My old one was placed perfectly, and felt exactly like the example. If I went hunting, I could find it, but I was absolutely never aware of it otherwise. My new one is placed differently -- it's crazy shallow. It hurts to move my arm, and I worry the end's going to come through the skin. You can see it!

Has anyone else had a really shallow Implanon? What happened? It's only my second day, so I'm hoping it will magically and quickly move deeper, but I doubt it.

That sucks, fo' reals. I bet the pain you're experiencing is just due to the removal/reinsertion process. (<-- This goes out to everyone else who's got a shallow implant.) I'm on Implanon #2, and I've never had a thought that they were placed incorrectly. I've done some detective work on my arm because of the last few comments and my Implanon is visible to the naked eye (if you know what you're looking at). The end closest to my shoulder "sticks out" more that the elbow end.

Maybe all this time I've been living with shallow implants?? Perhaps. But I do know that the pain relating to insertion will fade with the bruising. After that, I had random little pain bursts at my implant site for a couple/few months, probably triggered by just remembering it was there.

Don't worry about your Implanon escaping your arm. Your skin is more durable that a little flexible rod. :j:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I want to say thank you for making this thread. Reading it has been extremely informative and it's very comforting to have such a vast source of information right here for the looking. :)

That said, my birth control prescription is about to run out so it's back to Planned Parenthood for me next month. I've been thinking about exploring some other options. I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclin Lo for about 6 years. Started on it about when I started college. It's been working out fine, no problems at all, but it seems there have been some new additions to the birth control options since then. I'd never even heard of this implanon thing before the thread, or the Nuvaring.

The implanon thing sounds especially appealing to me because it looks like it has about the same side effects as hormonal BC (which I already know I can tolerate), and it's no-maintenance, with the added bonus of the possibility of being period-free. That is very appealing!

So I think I will ask PP about it. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. If I'm wrong, please let me know now.

To add my two cents to the weight loss while on hormonal BC discussion, I've dropped about 10 pounds in the last two months with a light exercise routine and portion control, and still going. I could probably be dropping a lot faster if I exercised more and really watched my diet. It's not crap, but it's probably not great either. Mostly I've just been trying to eat less.

Implanon is a great option (I'm on my second). They're good for 3 years (!) and you get worry-free protection. But don't count on it eliminating your menses; Implanon is well-known for causing irregular periods, with ragging that can last for several weeks (at a light-moderate level). However, even that cost has been worth the benefits.

I strongly recommend Implanon. You don't have to worry about taking your dose at a certain time every day like the pill, you don't get rollercoaster hormones like with Depo, and you don't have to put anything in your cooch like with an IUD or Nuvaring! :)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

ilysespieces posted:

Finally got all my insurance bullshit worked out and got a call back from the Drs office, I officially have an appointment to get Implanon a week from day. I'm so excited, thanks to you guys.
Is there anything I should know about the insertion or anything I should make sure to ask the Dr? I spoke to her for a bit during my consultation, I think I got it all covered, but you never know.

Getting my first Implanon inserted was easy. The doc numbed my arm up so I didn't feel a thing. Expect soreness/pain when that wears off, plus major bruising at the implant site. I ended up calling into work the day after getting it because I was experiencing mild flu-like symptoms (malaise, general feeling of grossness) but by day three I was just fine.

Congrats on your good decision! :)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

evelynevvie posted:

Another quick question about the Depo shot: How long should it take for any weird side effects to show up? Other than a slight soreness in the arm I got the shot, I haven't really had anything new happen. It's only been about 3 or 4 days though.

All the side effects I had with Depo were related to the increase (new shot) or decrease (almost time for a new shot) of hormones. For the most part, I just got really weepy. Let it go for a cycle and see what happens in your body. If you're still feeling normal a week after your next shot, that'll be a good indicator that you're not going to have any weird side effects.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Volcano posted:

How long have you had it in overall? I think the advice is usually to wait three months for your hormones to settle, but after that you might as well look into trying something new, because that poo poo is annoying. I ended up going on Loestrin 20 in addition to the Implanon (trip report: cycle like clockwork, better skin, awesome times). The implant may be convenient but that doesn't mean you have to put up with endless periods.

Were you prescribed the Loestrin because you were having continuous bleeding? I'm really interested in the details of your experience because I'm also on Implanon and I've been having acne like a mofo for like 4 years now. I don't want to give up the security of Implanon to switch to a pill but I'd love the benefits of using both. Addendum: I'm 27 and I smoke; I know there's a higher risk for heart attack with smokers on the pill.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

bobula posted:

So I've been on the ring for the past ten months and it was fine initially, but lately my moods have been crazy as gently caress (up/down and the slightest provocation) and I'll just start crying out of nowhere. Before the ring I couldn't cry if I tried to.

So, has anyone here who had issues with the ring affecting them like this had luck with any other hormonal birth control? I figured since the ring was the lowest dose I'd have the least issues with it but this is getting kind of intolerable. I was thinking about trying the patch, but if it's just going to get worse (since it's a higher dose, but maybe not the same kind of hormones?) I'll keep the ring. I know the hormones affect everyone differently so I'm hoping maybe the patch will work out. Blah.

I have a hard time keeping track of pill times and all that I can't afford to make a mistake with BC, so I need something low maintenance.

I got spells of weepiness that coincided with my Depo cycles. Not sure if the hormone between Depo and the ring are the same but your problem could be tied to the birth control.

I also had a problem with pill responsibility so I figured that being a wackadoo was worth 3 months of not having to worry about getting pregnant. I put up with it for 3 years before I took a break from birth control (and sex). When I looked into birth control again, my doctor talked me into Implanon and I've been super happy with it.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

bobula posted:

I'm thinking Implanon might be a good choice, but then it's a huge hassle/expense if it doesn't work out.

Cost depends on your insurance coverage (mine was free :woop: ), not sure about going through PP. From what others have said in this thread, I think it can run upwards of $200-300.

The biggest hassle for me was scheduling my appointment with someone who was certified to do the implant. The actual procedure is super quick, as is removal (I'm on my second consecutive Implanon). And if it really doesn't work out for you, there are no residual hormones after you get it removed.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Be sure to cross check the actual hormones used in the ring and in Implanon. And talking to your doctor or even an advice nurse about your reactions on the ring is a smart idea before doing anything. :)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

After a year, I'm having to have my Implanon out and go back on Microgynon. I'm gutted about it, the implant was perfect for months and then I just started bleeding all the time in March. Argh. I'm fine with taking pills but drat, the total lack of periods was so good while it lasted... Anyway, with that mini-rant over, how bad is having the implant taken out compared with it going in? Having it done was really loving unpleasant so I'm worried, and if it's gonna hurt more then I want to mentally prepare myself for that. I'm such a wuss!

Oh, and I've started the pill already (doc said it was fine) - anyone else had experience with this sort of thing regarding changes in mood etc? I know it's very dependent upon the person, but again I want to be aware of any potential side-effects. I'm two days in and there's been no change but I don't want it to suddenly hit me in a couple of days or so.

The worst pain with insertion/removal should be the numbing shots. You shouldn't feel anything else except pressure as they put it in or take it out. When I had my first Implanon removed and the new one put it, it only took about 10 minutes altogether, including the numbing beforehand and arm-wrapping afterwards.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Potential :nms: ahead.

I started my first week without the pill on Thursday, and very early morning I was suddenly bleeding much heavier than I had been the other days. I also felt a horrible pain in my vagina, which suddenly vanished not long after I made an emergency night towel change because this was literally a waterfall.

A few hours later, I go to change my towel again because it's filled up again (I didn't think a tampon could handle it). I find :nms: what looks like a huge lump of tissue, about two inchs wide and two inches long, and not too thick. It didn't break apart when I touch or tug it, and when I picked it up it looked like it had a tube sort of shape with one 'shut' end and one 'open' end. There was red on the outside and some lighter patches on the inside. It was like either my cervix or my vag had decided to shed. :gonk:

I already had a doctor's appointment booked for monday since my doctor wanted to check I wasn't having any abnormal reactions to the pill, so I'll certainly bring this up. But I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar since this has never happened to me before.

Is the pill your first method of birth control? Because something similar happened to a friend of mine on Depo. In her case, the Depo caused her bleeding to be deferred, and the built-up uterine lining spontaneously sloughed off all at once. She freaked, thought she was miscarrying an unbeknownst pregnancy. The body does weird poo poo sometimes.

In your case, the pain + heavy bleeding worries me. But the 'emergency' measurement that a doctor has told me in my personal experience is "filling a pad in an hour." Horrible to measure in that way but easy enough to test. So don't freak, the human body can bleed torrential amounts and still function. However, if you're passing out/having other adverse effects, go straight to emergency.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Oh my gooood, so glad to be back on my pill. I'd forgotten just how crazy heavy my periods were, and hell I swear they were even heavier than normal (brought this up with doctor, non-issue apparently). So many near disasters... Scratch my 'annoying trickle' comment; it's all relative.

Also turns out I'm close to becoming anemic (not really a surprise :v:) so I think I'll skip having a bleed until I finish off the iron supplements I was prescribed today, which should be three months from now. Or would that be too long to wait, considering I've just finished one bleed?

Women can use birth control (think Depo) to postpone their periods for years without any detrimental side effects.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Rubbing alcohol would work in the same way as nail polish remover, perhaps without as many added chemicals 'n' stuff. Fun fact: both can remove Sharpie from non-porous surfaces.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Peggy Lee posted:

If you can't ask strangers on the internet about your vag problems, who can you ask? Anyway, I've been on various low-dose monophasic pills for about 10 years, but over the last 6 or so I've had more yeast in there than there should be. (Not an infection, more so the balance being out of wack.) I'm suspecting the BC pills are running me afoul and not, say, diabeetus. Are some methods (non-estrogen?) better than others for keeping my vag at optimal yeast levels?

Does the increased yeast coincide with non-condomized sex? Semen can upset the pH balance in lady bits and cause your levels to become whack. If you're otherwise happy with your birth control, try using condoms or pulling out for a while to see if that makes any difference.

I know you said that it wasn't as bad as a yeast infection but I wanted to share a fun fact with all the ladies in here: you can pass a yeast infection back and forth with a regular sex partner. Meaning, even if you treat yourself, your partner can reinfect you and cause a loop of infections. Easily treatable but sometimes goes unnoticed. It could be that you've got something like this going on, albeit at a lower extreme.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, I am officially off my pills. I have an appointment with PP Wednesday to get my Implanon. They said no sexytimes until then.

I am both excited and a little bit apprehensive.

Good choice! Expect your arm to be sore for a bit. I had a touch of the malaise (general icky feeling) the day after getting it put in but was fine after that.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

And as for everyone in this thread, regardless of your method, I hope you and your partner have some idea of what you'd do if your method of choice failed.

Truth. The chances of failure are higher with a user responsibility based form of birth control, i.e. condoms, pills, sponges/spermacides, etc. I wanted to lessen my chances of failure so I switched to Depo back in the day and am now currently on my second Implanon.

The talk is not fun but it's an easier path to travel when it's hypothetical rather than reality. Keep in mind, though, that ideologies may fall under the pressures of certainty. Even if you and/or your partner are against abortion, it might be the right choice for you at the time if you're ever faced with that decision. Inversely, even if you feel like having a baby is the last thing you'd do at this point of your life/ever, knowing you're preggers may throw your plans for a loop.

Adoption is a great option but not a topic for the birth control thread.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Geolicious posted:

I'm sure you're fine then! But, hey, I can totally relate to the paranoia. I start freaking out if I'm a few hours late. I just KNOW I must be that 0.1% so cue :supaburn: freakout.

Dang Geo, are you really that regular? I'm envious of girls who know what day or even within a few days that you're going to start. I've been on Implanon for 4+ years and was on Depo for 4+ before that. Ragging is always a hello moment for me.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

BigGayLogan posted:

Thanks for the info! That all sounds really horrible. I did a little more research about IUDs, and aside from the pain during and after insertion, it doesn't seem too bad. I'll talk to my doctor about everything tomorrow and we'll see what happens from there; I'll definitely provide closure on what I'm doing :)

I just really despise menstruation and everything involved with it. And I really cannot have any cramps or pain ruining my day. And Nuvarings seem cool, I like how they're all "set it and forget it", but I'm not so sure about practically fisting myself whenever I want to put it in or take it out. Same thing over at the menstrual cup thread. It seems cool, but I don't think I can handle it :can:

I'll tell you all what I've decided tomorrow.

I had the Depo shot for almost 5 years and it wasn't anything debilitating. The 3 months of worry-free protection is what had me sticking with it for so long. Worst side effects imo was the hormonal rollercoaster (only really evident for ~1-2 wks, when your dosage is running out and you get a new shot). I became really weepy. Bad news is that you're stuck with your body's reaction for 3 months. Good news was that I stopped ragging after a few cycles of the bc.

Getting a shot every three months was easier for me back then than assimilating the normalcy of storing birth control up inside my cooch. I've grown up since then though, and am now on my 2nd cycle of Implanon. Having to finger a ring out/in my junk once a week doesn't seem so gross (especially with the good side effects I've heard about itt- esp acne control).

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Skywriter posted:

So I'm at about 6-7 weeks post-Implanon, and am not currently using another form of birth control. I'm wondering how other people have reacted afterwards.

I had a period on July 6th, and it was just like the periods I had before I was on birth control - that is to say, it sucked.

Yesterday and today, I've had period-like cramps, but no period. I've had non-stop diarrhea since yesterday too, and I'm trying to figure out if the two things are related. I did work out really hard on Friday, and it included lots of abdominal exercises, but as I'm sure you ladies can attest to, sore abdominal muscles feel different from cramps.

I'm trying to take most things right now as *normal*, and as my body adjusting to having all of the random hormones yanked out of it, so I definitely want to go with the flow, so to speak. I'm wondering how long I should wait before seeing a doctor about it, though. None of it is debilitating, just uncomfortable.

Also, there is no chance I could be pregnant, FWIW.

Thanks!

The diarrhea could be related, sometimes I get it in conjunction with ragging. I'm also using Implanon (love it!). However, one of the most common side effects with it is irregular bleeding. For me, I'm irregular as gently caress and that does suck because you can't plan ahead like some girls on the pill (hi Geo). But the blissfulness of not having to worry about getting knocked up is worth all the surprise periods in the world to me. Just be sure you're always carrying tampons/whatever. :)

I wouldn't worry about seeing a doctor unless your cramps DO become debilitating or you suddenly start bleeding extremely heavily (i.e. soaking a pad within an hour). Anything less than that I believe is just your body figuring out what it wants to do about menstruation now that you're on a new form of birth control.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Implanon has given me whackadoo bleeding but I still love it to bits because I don't have to worry about anything for three years.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

That article says it may cause "lower abdominal or pelvic pain" but sometimes I feel what I think is Mittelschmerz in my lower back, above a hipbone. Let's hope it's that and not some weird, intermittent kidney thing! :j:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

What's up with that legislation that all bc will be covered by insurance carriers? Has that trickled down yet?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Is there anyone who can grab a heating pad for you? What about a hot bath? Or are you supposed to stay out of the water at first?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I was told not to take baths after for a week, I think. I also use a DivaCup and it's just fine. If you have a sock and some rice you could make that into a heating pad if there is no one who can go get you one :(

Could you use beans in lieu of rice or would microwaving them cause them to explode? If nothing else, then get a washcloth/hand towel wet, wring out the extra water and microwave that as necessary.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Do you even want to have sex after forcing your cervix open? I imagine it takes several days for it to feel like normal, let alone ready for action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Geolicious posted:

My new gyno said yesterday that I was an ideal candidate for Mirena.

And I found out today my insurance doesn't cover IUDs of any kind and Mirena would be $1100+ up front. I am super bummed about that. I finally found a doctor that thinks it's a good idea for me and I can't even afford it. :(

I know this was semi-discussed a couple pages ago but doesn't the new law cover/subsidize any type of bc?

• Locked thread