Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Love the new thread. Very well organized and thorough. If anyone has questions about the Paraguard IUD I can help. I have also been on Nuva Ring, Ortho-Cyclen, and Ortho-TriCyclen Lo if anyone has questions about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Tigntink posted:

On a side note: I saw on the main post that paragard contains nickel? I'm highly allergic to it and told my doctor AND it is found no where in the product information packet. Are you sure? I'd be breaking out in hives and poo poo. I can't even wear 18kgold or surgical steel because they have trace nickel and my skin flares up like a balloon.

When I got mine put in they asked me if I had a nickel allergy. I don't, but I thought it was unusual they would ask that since it's made out of copper.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I'm asking this question for my sister who doesn't have an account here. Her period is about a month late after being fairly regular. She's taken pregnancy tests, all negative and a friend told her there is a pill she can take to induce her period. Is this for real? And she's going to Planned Parenthood tomorrow to get this checked out and to find out about going on the pill. Will that induce her period? Would it be safe to start taking mid-weird-cycle that she's having?

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

JustinMorgan posted:

I'm asking this question for my sister who doesn't have an account here. Her period is about a month late after being fairly regular. She's taken pregnancy tests, all negative and a friend told her there is a pill she can take to induce her period. Is this for real? And she's going to Planned Parenthood tomorrow to get this checked out and to find out about going on the pill. Will that induce her period? Would it be safe to start taking mid-weird-cycle that she's having?

Update. They said she's probably missing her period due to stress. They put her on Sronyx. I've never heard of this pill, It's a generic. Anyone know anything about it? Have any luck with it? She's never been on hormonal birth control before, I've been trying to get her to forever. Condoms are so gross and unneccessary in a long term relationship.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking about this the other day. No form of birth control (pill, condom, IUD, etc) is 100% even at perfect use, right? Why? How would you you know if you're in the 1% of people the pill fails for even when used perfectly? And how can the Paraguard and the depo shot have different perfect/ typical failure rates?
Source

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Lanthanum posted:

Are painful cramps normal with implanon? I got it in 4 weeks ago and am just starting my first "period" and the cramping is more painful than my periods when I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I hope this wont last long :(

I was on various birth control pills for five years and I went off them and got my Paraguard, I was alarmed at how much bleeding and cramping there was. It was probably just as bad before I was on any birth control, it's ust been so long, I've forgotten. You may have been so used to the light, simple periods on Tri-Cyclen Lo that now your having more of a real period and remembering how much they suck.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Am I correct that the risks involved with a copper IUD are extremely small, and that it would be eminently suitable for a woman for whom hormonal birth control is an issue? I'm talking to her about it tonight / this weekend, but we're both going to research it for a week (including her talking to the doctor) before a decision is made about what to do.

I have the copper IUD and it's great. I was slowly going crazy on hormones as well. After trying 3 different pills and the ring I got the Paraguard IUD and I've loved it. I did my research beforehand and you're right, the risks are very small. Usually perforation or expulsion, which, if they're going to happen, happen nearly right away. I don't remember the exact percentage chance of that happening, but it's low.

I love being hormone free. (I think my boyfriend likes this as well) I like that I'm not crying, freaking out, having mood swings, etc over nothing. The only problem I've had is the fact it made my period super heavy and crampy. Which may be a problem for you as well if Implanon is giving you a never ending period. It's all a matter of what you're personally willing to deal with to stay baby free.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Namirsolo posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before. Would a Nuvaring prevent a guy from being able to hit the cervix?

When I was on the pill earlier this year it made me seriously depressed, so I'm thinking about other options now and the ring seems best, but the answer to this question concerns me.

When having sex with my boyfriend with the nuvaring in, he said he couldn't feel it. But certain positions were, I think, pushing the ring up into my cervix and it HURT a LOT! I tried to avoid taking it out because several times I fell asleep without putting it back in.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if this belongs in this thread but has anyone seen this? https://novasure.com

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

One option I can see is a copper IUD since it's non-hormonal, long lasting, effective and reversible. On the other hand, I've heard that the copper IUD can cause increased bleeding and worse cramps, and is only recommended for women who have already had children(?).

What I'm after is some perspective on how good an option the copper IUD is, other people's experiences with it, as well as if anyone can suggest any other options that might be good for our situation. Or if we should just resign ourselves to the fact that the only time we'll ever have condom-less sex is when we finally go mad and start trying for a baby.

Copper IUD is awesome. Yes, it hurts like hell to put it in. Yes, my periods are longer, crampier, and heavier than ever before. But it's so worth it to not have to remember to take a pill, to not gain crazy amounts of weight, to be spontaneous, to not go from hormonal crying mess to hormonal angry psycho chick. Totally worth it.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

How much worse is the cramping? Are we talking going from painful to debilitating here?

Why exactly were they only approved for women without kids? Is there a (real) risk of being rendered infertile? Or does using it once permanently reduce fertility?

What is the advantage of the Mirena over a copper IUD though? Seeing as how crappily she reacted to hormone-related stuff in the past, I'm a bit reluctant to try something that isn't as easy to stop as it is to stop taking a pill.

The cramping has never been debilitating. A few motrin and I'm usually fine. I was on various bc pills for 7 years before I got my IUD and the change from "hardly any period" to "OMG THERES BLOOD EVERYWHERE" was a bit of a shock.

Like someone else said, it's easier to insert if you've had children. I guess your uterus and cervix are all stretched out. But it's still possible if you haven't. IUDs can, but normally dont leave to fertility problems in the future.

Mirena has lower levels of hormones so there should be less of a reaction than what you would have on a pill. Of course to have an IUD removed is one quick doctor appointment, but you could be out a few hundred dollars if you choose to get it removed early.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Wasn't sure where would be a good place for me to ask this, but someone here might be able to help me. I have the Paraguard IUD, which means I have heavy, bloaty, long periods. Luckily, they're always right on schedule. And I'm due to have one when I'm on vacation the end of July.

I really don't want to be bloaty, crampy and worrying about changing tampons while I'm on vacation. Suggestions? I've been on bc pills before as well as Nuva Ring and they both made my periods super light and managable. Would I be able to go to my gyno and ask for this? Do I have any other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Yeah I can't feel mine either. And not for lack of trying either. I guess I'm too fat/fingers too short.

I haven't noticed anything amiss so I am going to assume it's A-OK up in there.

Same here. I've never been able to feel my strings. I'm sure I would know if it had fallen out/ perforated my uterus...right? Should I just assume everything is fine?

• Locked thread