Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So my girlfriend is allergic to latex. We are poor, both 18, and still live under our parents' rule so that really takes out any fancy contraceptive ideas we have. Most of the fancier methods look like they'd require doctors visits, and since we still live under our parent's insurance it looks like they'd find out. Also the cost is kinda high up there too.Looks like the most sensible solution for us will be non-latex condoms. I seriously hope they are available at the local pharmacy, which I think they are. I know the cost is a bit higher too, but still reasonable. Right now im considering polyurethane...

However im totally confused about how their effectiveness is compared to normal condoms. Some sites say they are worse at protecting compared to latex, while some say they're equal, while some say they are even better at protecting against pregnancy. I mean is there a really big difference?

And is there any fallacies i've made in my logic so far?

Edit: Or I could just ask mom and dad...that would be easiest. As you can see both parents on either side would flip if we had sex before marriage even though there's no law against it. And despite what most folks say I cant just go "Im 18 now I can live my own life" because respectfully I still leech off of mom and pops resources.

Doubleedit: I read the OP twice already, checked other websites. Most of this question is just verifying that I got everything understood correctly, as well as ask a few questions I have.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kerfuffle posted:

Planned Parenthood is there for situations like yours. It's completely confidential. So if your girlfriend wants to get on birth control, she can go there for it. Depending on the birth control, she can a generic form of it (same effectiveness as brand name) but for a whole lot cheaper.

Yeah thankfully we have one right near the high school we went to. Is it normally like a doctors office where the both of us can ask a doctor some questions off the [medical] record?

The biggest reason behind my paranoia is that our hometown was a top tenner for teen pregnancy rate nationwide at one point, and a crapload of people I know have gotten pregnant. Are that many condoms breaking? Are people even protecting themselves at all, or are they just using the "pull out and pray" methods?

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 27, 2011

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I dont wanna put her through the abortion pill. She is also quite fragile with medication and hormonal stuff, so I want to stay away from that. I'll also have to come to terms with paranoia because there is never a 100% chance of preventing babies unless you're tying the tubes....so ive heard.

I'll call PP tomorrow and see if I can make an appointment. But thanks, I didn't expect a response tonight!

(Good god, there isn't a magical switch on one of our bodies that turns off fertility on demand?)

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 27, 2011

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Maybe its a satirical/snarky question, but are teenage girls more likely to get pregnant for some reason? I hear all these stories about how hard it is to become fertile in adulthood, and then I see teenagers having kids left and right like no tomorrow. Its the human assembly line.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
You guys have provided a ton of information for us. We're taking a bit of advice from here and going along with what you guys have said/warned about. Thanks :buddy:

• Locked thread