Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
TheSpiritFox- Has your wife asked about Implanon? That would be one option I would at least ask an OB about. But since your wife does not seem to do well with hormones have you tried the old diaphragm option?

Before I got my IUD I used a diaphragm and it worked very well (I just hated toting it around). It's a classic method of bc with a bigger following in the older generation. You have to get fitted for it by an OB, who writes you a perscription for your size afterwards and then you have to learn how to put it in place at home. Sometimes the OB or a nurse will give you help at the doctors office if you ask.

Since they are not nearly as popular today as they were 40 years ago the best person to ask about this is your wife's mother or a close aunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

Tigntink posted:

Every woman is different. I did mine with 0 painkillers and only had about 20 seconds of pain that took my breath away.

I did it with 0 painkillers and the best part: My whiney cousin who just gave birth was carrying on and on about how hard birth is so I turned to her at the family dinner (the night after the insertion) and said really loudly.

"Yeah, well I had a piece of metal shoved UP there yesterday and you don't hear me bitching. You think it hurt to get something to fall out? Try that in reverse without the epidural."

That shut her up. :smug:

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
It was sarcastic. I was just trying to shut her up and stop talking about tearing and crowning while we were eating. Or ever, no one wants to hear about that who isn't the doctor who you are seeing for your obstetrical care.

IUD still hurt like a bitch but one of the best investments I ever made, in two years I've already made all the money back that would of gone to monthly pills/condoms/morning after pills when I forget the other two. Just for that reason it's the best option out there.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
I use the pull out method too, actually. Statistically, as long as you're not a horny teenage/young man with little control, it is about the same as average condom use. Not STI protection though. I've played the birth control rodeo enough and haven't found a method that doesn't make me feel sick or have terrible menstrual cycles (IUD, different pills, patch, ring, etc). Some women just don't respond well to birth control. As long as your diligent and have an agreed upon a back up plan if there is an accident- coitus interruptus isn't a bad option.

But my husband and I have a strict rule about peeing between sessions so there are no swimmers in the tubes. GiveUp Ned, if I were your girlfriend, I'd use Plan B just in case.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

NaturalLow posted:

You might also want to look into combining it with something like FAM (Fertility Awareness). It also takes diligence on your part, since it goes beyond just looking at a calendar and estimating based on your usual cycle. But at least that way you actually know when you're fertile.

I do, actually.

In fact my last job was consulting with patients about birth control options for an established clinic and advocacy group. I never mentioned FAM or pull out to patients, if you're curious. But the data suggests that with diligence pull out is about the same effectiveness as condoms. Also I have no moral/personal objections to abortion and my husband and I are on the same page with regards to an accidental pregnancy. So I'm willing to take my chances if it means I don't have the terrible side effects right now. When I lose my current (awesome) insurance that covers hospital abortion and Plan B I might reconsider my current method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

Tigntink posted:

2.5 days after the incident gives it a pretty low chance of being successful and remember, the more times the use it the less effective it gets.

No. You have 72 hours (3 days) to take it after unprotected intercourse for it to be effective and no peer reviewed scientific studies have shown that multiple uses lessen the effectiveness rate. Although, it is recommended that it be taken no more than once a month due to the risk of side effects.

• Locked thread