Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I got my Mirena IUD inserted on Tuesday and it was so painful! The cramping is mostly gone now but I have felt really bloated ever since then. I know it is listed as a common side effect, but I am wondering if I can expect it to go away on its own soon or if there is something I can do about it? It's very uncomfortable and all my clothes (that used to feel loose) are tight. I've been on various pills in the past (Apri, Levora, Microgestin) and haven't had this bloating problem before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Hey gals, I just wanted to follow up on the Mirena IUD. I posted here in February when I first got mine with complaints of pain/bloating. 4 months later and my periods have dithered to nothing (woohoo!) My sex drive is almost back to normal (previous pills pretty much killed my labido) and no crazy mood swings. I'm super happy with it! Also no more bloating :) It took a couple weeks but it finally went away.

My OBGYN was only willing to give me the IUD after I tried a couple low-dosage pills. She seemed to be mostly concerned with pain/expulsion regarding the fact that I haven't had children.

The low sex-drive thing was really becoming an issue with my husband so I feel like this IUD may have saved my marriage. Maybe that is a bit extreme, but I am really so happy with it. If you are thinking about getting an IUD and your doctor doesn't want to at least consider it with you, try going to a different OBGYN or Planned Parenthood.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I'm a little late to the uterus-size discussion, but I thought I'd chime in. Height isn't always directly related to uterus size. I'm 5'11" and when I had my Mirena inserted my Gyn told me that I have a tiny uterus v:shobon:v. It still fit fine though and she mentioned that she's never had anyone with a uterus too small for an IUD.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Sandry posted:

Lol, your uterus must just really love the string. I had read somewhere that the string is supposed to soften up as well, I suppose mine is, but it's not like I checked it often or anything so idk. I had never really noticed the string but a guy I dated a while back did. His expression was rather funny when he felt it, just a sort of "what's that??" face (not mean/pain just surprised). I think mine's a couple of cm or something, which seems rather long to me.

My husband says they feel softer now than when I first had my mirena inserted in February v:shobon:v

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I'm going to 3rd Kerfuffles Advice. When I got my IUD in, there was not even a mention of getting a shot :gonk: However, my doctor did give me a pill to stick up there the night before. I think it was a muscle relaxer/pain killer. So that might be another option?

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

2508084 posted:

IUD pain related update if anyone cares. I'm the one who had a panic attack during insertion which made it a lot worse. :shobon:

Consistent, low grade cramping and light bleeding since insertion about two weeks ago. I was fine to work the day after inaction. Been working out like normal ever since and it even kind of helps with the cramps. I'm talking 135 pound squats and 175 pound deadlifts, so its some serious exertion.

Even if I had a panic attack everytime they inserted a new Mirena, I'd say its worth it. I have a check up on 11/18 to make sure everything is in proper place and whatever else they look for. Should I use condoms till then or is that overkill? It seems like I would 100% know if something was wrong with my IUD.

My Dr told me that I was immediately protected after my Mirena insertion and I could go home and have condom-free sex right after my appointment (not like I would have wanted to, but you get the idea...) As long as you aren't worried about STIs you should be good to go.

I hear you on the working out thing. Lifting always makes my cramps go away :)

Edit: My doctor also recommended feeling up in there for strings, but sometimes I couldn't find them so I dunno. You could do that too I guess.

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 22, 2011

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Agreeing with everyone else. If the person performing the insertion is experienced, I wouldn't worry about perforation too much.
Just another anecdote about uterus size/body size from the opposite end of the spectrum: I'm 5'11, 180 lbs and my gyno told me I have a very tiny uterus :iiam: I got a Mirena inserted just over a year ago with no problems, and I've also never had kids.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Mirena ladies, I have a question. I got my Mirena IUD placed 14 months ago, and had light/spotting periods for a few months, but haven't had a period at all since June/July of last year, no normal PMS symptoms either.

Last week I got some of the normal PMS signs and this week I am getting cramping and what I would consider a "normal flow" pre-IUD period. Have any of you lost your period and then got it back this soon after insertion? I am going to contact my gyno about it but I was wondering if this was common or not. I really hope this is a one-off thing because I was really enjoying not having a period :ohdear:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

I just wanted to follow this up with my doctor's reply, in case other ladies have the same experience. She confirmed that what I am experiencing is a normal occurrence, and may indeed just be heavy spotting like you mentioned, Ceridwen.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The tampon advice seems to vary a lot from doctor to doctor. My doctor told me I could start using them the day after I got my Mirena in. I wonder if the differences have to do with marital status and/or medical history. Or maybe my doctor is less risk averse than others... that's a little scary to think about.

After the initial spotting though, I've only had to use a tampon a couple times since getting my IUD in (about 16 months ago now). I feel a bit silly for buying the big costco size box of them before getting my Mirena but I guess I will always be prepared forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

quote is not edit

• Locked thread