Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapphic Swordsaint
Dec 19, 2010

Those rare moments when my superiors show wisdom come perilously close to restoring my faith in the social order.
I'm an off and on again Depo Provera user. I get it for dysmenorrhea and it works wonders. I've never had a side effect off of it and would recommend it for this use.

Now, a question: Is it normal for doctors to force me to get a pregnancy test before each shot, or is this a regional and/or moral thing? I noticed when I lived in California, they would give it to me, and most clinics had it available. I currently live in Arizona and not only is it hard to find a clinic with any birth control options (much less Depo), they do this to me every time. Even though I'm getting it for not sex related reasons. They always seem very hostile and angry when I do manage to be able to get the shot administered and tell me I should go off so I could have a baby/family someday. I've even had doctors outright not give it to me here saying I was using it to cover up an abortion I wanted to have in secret or some other bizarre conspiracy. It's all very passive aggressive on the best of days getting it here. I figure I would tell them I'm gay, but given that it's Arizona, and I won't be here more than two a half months more at most, it's not worth any further ostracizing.

Unfortunately I've had to drop it for now due to their hostile attitudes towards me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapphic Swordsaint
Dec 19, 2010

Those rare moments when my superiors show wisdom come perilously close to restoring my faith in the social order.

Anne Whateley posted:

It seems normal if you're on-again, off-again. Like, if you got a shot four or five months ago, then for the last 1-2 months you haven't been protected; it's like you're starting birth control all over again. They want to be sure you didn't get pregnant during the last few unprotected months, because if you did and then they give you a shot full o' hormones, it wouldn't be good news for the baby. That part is covering their asses.

I should have been more clear. Sorry! By that I meant I would get it regularly for a few years then miss it for a while due to funds but then go back on it again regularly when I could. I would be in once every 3 months like clockwork and the same people will still be making me piss in cups. They seem to have the biggest batch of paranoia over babies I've ever seen any medical office have.

Thanks for everything else though! I'll try that.

Sapphic Swordsaint
Dec 19, 2010

A bit late, but a huge thanks to everyone who helped me out here! It's a bit relieving to know the pregnancy test is just legal rear end-covering and that if I need options, I can find better ones. :)

If anyone has any questions about what it's like to be on Depo, especially for so long, I'll be watching this thread and I have PMs (and hopefully not PMS). I'd be glad to help out!

• Locked thread