Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I've been considering the idea of permanent sterilization for some time now and I was wondering if any of the ladies in this thread have links relevant to the Canadian Health care system on what I should research for tubal ligation. I'd like to read up on things a bit more and the advice I've seen in here has been pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I did it. Two years after posting in this thread, I finally did it.
I went into the clinic today and, after a surprise anxiety attack, told my doctor that I wanted to get a tubal. She was very supportive, told me that she's been having more women ask/talk about it and as long as I was sure, she was more than happy to help. She was writing up a referral letter for me this afternoon and now I'm just waiting on a phone call from the gynecologist's office.
I had to call my husband and babble at him to keep from bursting into confused tears on the walk home. Yay for having issues!
I have to thank the thread for being one of the voices of reason for me as I worked up the confidence to even ask about this. So yeah. Thanks thread! Wish me luck.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Is there a tears of joy smiley?
Aceofblue, I'd say it was a walk in the park but I'd be lying through my teeth. My doctor was awesome, but my brain was a shitbag and I spent the entire time in the waiting room twitching and sweating. Take relaxing music, count to a billion, whatever you gotta do. And then yeah, phone up whoever you need to after and blather like an idiot with joy and excess adrenaline. :D
Scudworth, thanks. A million thanks. I've had your PM sitting in my inbox all this time and I'd go read it occasionally. It was my little motivator.
I can't wait for that phone call.
Oh god, maybe I should be asking for more lorazepam for that appointment. :ohdear:

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Silver Falcon posted:

They said I'm too young to get sterilized (I'm 33 next month)

I'm seconding Geolicious here. I just turned 34 in the fall and I got on the waiting list for a tubal before my birthday. You're not too young and anyone who tells you that is full of poo poo.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Figured I should Trip Report.

I finally got my tubal yesterday.

I spent the months leading up to it being equal parts nervous and irritable, due to an intense dislike of medical procedures and anxiety eating at my brain.
I decided to solve this the night before by consulting a pharmacist friend about the best way to dose my lorazepam which meant my husband and I showed up a the hospital with me hitting the high dosage just in time for check in. I remember that I answered all the questions correctly, so yay for that. Told them how much of my happy drugs I'd taken, no I don't have any allergies(that I know of), yes I followed the fasting rules, here's your cup of pee can I go lay down now.

Off to pre-admitting and I'm starting to doze off and on. Warned the anesthesiologist when he stops by that I'm not a fan of needles which was why I took my stuff, he laughed and said we'd be fine.
We mostly were, thanks to lorazepam, except the part where he had to forcibly extract his thumb from my grip before the gas and drugs took effect. I did warn him.
Wake up to someone giving my shoulder a light shake and warning me that they're just going to check my incisions, to which I'm pretty sure my response was a raspberry and going back to sleep.
Surgeon and I argue about which doctor I'm supposed to be going to see for my post-op check. My GP wants me to come see her in ten days, he says something about six months. I'm too stoned to give much of a poo poo but later announce to my husband that my surgeon/gyno is a twat and I don't like him very much.

Left the hospital with instructions not to shower for two day(Not a fan of this but oh well) and no idea how I actually got in the car. My husband stocked us up on Advil, Tylenol and Gravol, I barfed in the little bag they gave me because I'm stubborn and tried to go in the grocery store with him and we went home for me to sleep the rest of the day in spurts before eating half a bowl of chicken noodle soup and passing out for the rest of the day/night.

Today I have a raging headache, my shoulders are sore, my abs are killing me and the cats keep trying to sit on my stomach. We have reached a compromise in that they are allowed to lay on my chest. Or sit in my lap while I'm at the computer, as is currently happening.

In the end, I'm happy that I won't be losing valuable brain space to the constant worry of an unwanted pregnancy. I'm hoping this will lead to my sex life coming back from the dead because nothing kills your libido like "gently caress, is my period late? gently caress, did I take my pill on time?" and all that other fun stuff. I'm not thrilled that this took nearly a year to get to and I think it'll be some time before I fully come to terms with that but hey, I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone and talk to my GP about going to see a therapist when I go in for my post-op check.

TL:DR - Had tubes "tied". Do not regret most of it and happy that it's finally done. I need more Advil....

• Locked thread