Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I've had a paragard IUD since March 2012, but I still get really awful cramps every month -- to the point where I'm considering getting it taken out. I've brought up the pain issue to my obgyn before in case it suggested something being off, but he said it's normal.

However, I'm really wary to go on hormonal birth control -- I've taken yaz before, which was horrible and had really stupid effects on me (touch aversion was the weirdest one), and I have health anxiety that makes me focus on dumb things like possible clots, even though I probably will not get clots. So, I'm hesitant to get anything that's hormonal for birth control, basically.

What I'm asking is this: My cramps haven't gotten any better since I've gotten this thing put in. Is there anything I can do to make it better? Should I just toughen up and deal with it every month (it really hurts :( and sometimes they're mid-cycle)? Should I get it removed and just use barrier methods? Should I press the issue to my obgyn, since the pain hasn't gotten better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Geolicious posted:

What do you take? Can you take ibuprofen? That helps neutralize the hormones that cause cramping. I get pretty awful cramps with my Mirena (mid cycle ones as well, though they aren't as bad), too, but ibu usually always either knocks them out or makes them deal-able. I don't get a real period, but I get a "period time" type thing, so I try to head it off at the pass with some ibu before I know it's due.

edit: I'm not trying to pressure you into keeping it, just curious as to what you've tried for the cramps. If you feel you'd be better with it out, get it out.

I take ibuprofen or aleve, but I have family who have stomach issues now because of excessive NSAID use, and I don't want to be the next one on that train :( I usually take 2 ibuprofen when I need it or 2 aleve, and it generally gets the pain down to a manageable level, but not totally gone. I used to take vit E daily, which helped, but I've gotten out of the habit. I might try that again, but I wasn't sure if it was just placebo or false attribution or something. Then again if it helps, does it matter? :)

I definitely want to keep this thing -- I'm in school and my spouse and I aren't sure if we even want kids, and this is the easiest method of no-kid-having.

Weirdest part of iud cramping: I get cramping in my right thigh -- I never got this before! Scared the crap of me the first time I got it (hello clot fear), but it turns out it's pretty normal.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Chances are taking a few ibuprofen a few days out of the month will not give you long term stomach issues. That's usually something that comes from taking lotsof NSAIDs all day everyday for a long time.

Have you tried heat at all? Ibuprofen helps me out, but when it gets really bad I use a heat pad and that usually knocks the cramps out nicely (or at worst will make them milder). If I'm busy and can't just sit on the couch all day, I use the Thermacare heat patches that you can just stick in your underwear.

I usually end up taking nsaids 4-6 times a week for various stuff. One of my family members has taken high doseage ibu for years and has issues stemming from it, the other usually took about the same amount I do. She has ulcerative colitis, though, so I'm guessing issues stem from nsaids affecting that, rather than causing it.

I've used heat before, but they don't do all that much for me. Plus I live in the deep south, and extra heat this time of year is pretty unbearable v:shobon:v It's alright in the winter though.

Generally I just expect that they'll be about 5-6 days every month where the cramps suck, and a day where I won't get a whole lot accomplished.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was having problems with heavy cramping from my paragard. I started taking vit E daily again (with aleve before/during menses), and I'm happy to say I barely felt any cramping this time! I was seriously considering having my paragard removed due to the pain it was causing me, but now I know to keep taking vit E :) I had even been taking aleve before for cramping, and I could still feel it, so I'm fairly certain it was the vit E.

Also less bleeding! YESSSSSS. If you're having heavy cramping/heavy bleeding issues, seriously, try taking vit E.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

After five years of paragard, I got it removed earlier this month.

I kept hoping the cramps would go down in intensity. Taking vit e daily helped for a while, but even then the breakthrough pain was terrible. I'd have a day or two every month where I just didn't really do anything, even with ibuprofen or aleve, and I'd have cramps (generally ok with meds) for a few days leaving up to it.

Today I realized I was bleeding, but with zero pain. ZERO! I'm so happy.

I wanted to love paragard, I really did. 10 years of birth control, sans hormones? How could that be bad? But gosh, the pain. I would bring it up everytime I had an obgyn appointment, but I just felt like I was never taken seriously about it at all. Then again, I don't know what they could've done/said that would've made me feel better. After listening to me go through the pain of it every month, my spouse was finally like "just get it removed, jfc" so I did.

now, to not get pregnant.

• Locked thread