Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Millard Fillmore posted:

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm afraid of. I'm really new to all this, this is only the end of my first month on the patch, I've never used anything else before.
You haven't done anything wrong, you're using it as directed. Just make absolutely sure to put the next one on when you're supposed to and you'll be fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, I understand the worry. Especially if you've done any googling about it. :stonk:

I was pretty terrified going in, but when it was done I just felt like "Wow, that was it?" Your experience may vary, but I hope not. :)
I had the same experience as you; it was uncomfortable but mostly didn't really hurt, except the sounding and actual insertion and even those weren't too bad and were over quickly. My doctor told me to make sure I ate a good breakfast first, and I also took 800 mg of iboprofen an hour beforehand as people usually recommend in here. Afterwards, I didn't really need painkillers and just having a heating pad and taking it easy for a couple of days was all I needed. I was even fine to take the bus home (although bumps in the road were a bit unwanted!)

As for possibly having a weird uterus, don't worry if you don't know. My doctor did a palpation to figure out what kind of configuration I had going on there (didn't tell me the result but whatever), so yours should be able to work it out.

My Mirena experience so far has been absolutely textbook perfect and I'm really happy with it. Good luck to you, Sharks Below!

Oh yeah, I also have never had a kid and had actually never even had a gyno examination before so I was a total complete newbie :) (Decided to combine the insertion with my first NHS-mandated pap smear for extra efficiency)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

MythObstacleIV posted:

Or will religiously taking my pill be enough?
You will be absolutely fine. There is no need to use an extra contraceptive method while on hormonal BC unless you forget a pill.

Of course if you're constantly worrying about getting pregnant, you will probably find it harder to get turned on and sex won't be as fun for either of you, so if you really can't let go of the fear (which is understandable) your dude will probably just have to learn to put up with condoms.

Edit: Whatever you do, don't use a spermicide jelly. They really don't do much without condoms and don't particularly help even with them, mostly they just irritate mucus membranes and make your vagina sad :(

vaguely fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 17, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

asiperi posted:

Guys, I just got my Mirena put in, and holy poo poo, these are the worst cramps I've ever had in my loving life. I've only ever had moderate cramping at worst, but I went pale and almost passed out, then had to spend some time whimpering on the table in the fetal position while the doctor got me ibuprofen and a lollipop. Anyone else go through this / have any tips for dealing with really bad cramps?
Ibuprofen, sit in bed all day with a hot water bottle if you can, use heating pads if you have to go out and do stuff. (Did you take 800mg ibu an hour before the insertion? That made the actual procedure a breeze for me, although I might just have a very well behaved cervix) As you've noticed the cramps are worst about an hour after insertion (I got to spend that time on the bus getting jolted in the pelvis at every pothole, lucky me) and subside over the day. You should be feeling better tomorrow, or the day after at the worst. After that you'll still get occasional random cramps for a while but they shouldn't last more than a minute or so at a time.

I hope you end up loving your Mirena as much as I do! :)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

hormonal IUD's do release progestin, but in the lowest available dose and localised within the uterus, so side effects elsewhere in the body that you might get from pills are minimised
I got a Mirena installed just under a year ago and while it was a little painful and I was crampier than usual for a couple of months, by now I basically don't have periods any more and I don't even notice it, it's totally great!
still, if you're worried about even a very very low progestin dose, the copper IUD is definitely the way to go
it is known to make periods heavier and more painful, but if you haven't found them to be a problem before then you probably don't have anything to worry about!

(also don't put too much stock in horror stories you might see around the web about IUDs, there is a lot of bad information out there and iirc a lot of US-based aversion to them can be traced back to an old horribly-designed model that was discontinued a very very long time ago)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I've had my Mirena for about a year now and don't have anything resembling a period at all any more
when I first had it put in I only had a few days of spotting, but then my uterus has always been very well behaved
after that, my 'periods' came at the normal frequency compared to not being on hormones, but were essentially just a few days of spotting every month; my cramps were way worse though, probably because of the thing hanging out in there
now, nothing at all and I'm so glad I got it, best £8 I ever spent :j:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

irregular periods and spotting are a pretty common side effect of progesterone-only contraception in general, it's nothing to worry about :)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

If you're not actively trying to prevent pregnancy right now, there's no problem at all with just stopping your pill whenever. It might take a couple weeks for your hormones to sort themselves out though.

If you're looking for a BC that will kill your period dead, you might like to look into Implanon/Nexplanon (implant) or Mirena (hormonal IUD), both have a side effect of lightening periods (they can cause some spotting but your period in general will be much less) and in ~20% of women (including me!) getting rid of periods completely, and if you like them, they last for 3 and 5 years respectively. Basically edit: almost! everyone in the thread loves them!

vaguely fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 24, 2015

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

my sex drive was dead as anything on both pills I've been on (Microgynon, which also made me suicidally depressed so I came off it, and another with a name I can't remember), but after a year on Mirena (hormonal IUD) I'm just as horny as I was without birth control

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the first birth control pill I tried made me suicidally depressed after a few months
I have mental health issues off it too, but never that bad
thankfully when I told the nurse who prescribed my pills, she nodded and wrote me a prescription for something else that didn't do that so it didn't turn out as bad as it could have

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the string is really there to make it easier to take out when you're done with it, so don't sweat it too much :)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

totally normal, this is the next year of your life

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

you could try progestin-only pills or the implant (Nexplanon), they both have lightened periods as a possible side effect

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

floofyscorp posted:

It takes special training to be able to install a birth control implant so not every health care provider will be able to do it, but Nexplanon IS covered by the NHS so I'm surprised you're having so much trouble finding someone who will do it for you. In my experience if my GP can't do it they refer me to a nearby clinic who can.

Yeah, your GP should be able to point you towards someone who can do it. Especially with you being in or near a large city, there will be someone trained for it not too far away. When I got my Mirena installed, my GP pointed me at another GP in the same practice. There were small problems (finding a pharmacy who could actually order the thing in for me took a few visits) but overall I was very happy with my experience. I've had friends who had the implant as well and they had similar experiences with getting one put in.

I wouldn't be surprised if family planning clinics specifically are understaffed, this government is starving the hell out of the NHS, but all contraceptives are still free. Your GP is your best bet for information.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

stress seems about right but if it would help you relax about it, it can't hurt to go for a check-up

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

my sister just had her first contraceptive injection and is wondering if it's usual to have side effects immediately / the day after? i would assume it is, since you're getting a huge dose of hormones, but wanted to double check before i tell her

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Radio! posted:

Went to my gyno today to ask about getting an IUD because I won't have insurance after the end of the month and she told me that because I haven't had kids it would be too painful and I shouldn't even consider it. Is this bullshit because it sounds like some bullshit.

it is total bullshit, but if your gyno told you that then you shouldn't get an IUD from them anyway because they won't know what they're doing and will almost certainly gently caress it up
find another doctor who is more used to doing them

I got my Mirena put in by a very nice doctor who does several a week and it was totally fine, no kid-having necessary

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

afaik there's no real consensus on why Paragard works, just that it does? i think the current understanding is that copper is toxic to sperm but other than that all medical science has on the question is a big ol shrug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oestrogen-containing pills are a bit more flexible than they used to be in that if you usually take it in the morning but forget and end up taking it in the evening you'll be fine, so if you can remember enough to take a pill at some point during the day you can still go for them
they're a no-go if you have migraines with an aura though because of increased stroke risk, worth mentioning because a lot of people don't know about this

Implanon could be an option, since if you hate it you can just get it taken out and you'll be fine in a week or two, and any side effects will be much milder than you'd get on the injection

• Locked thread