Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legendof
Oct 27, 2014

When I was traveling, I just called my pharmacy and told them how long I'd be gone, and they were happy to fill an order for enough pills to last me through then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I got a Mirena put in about a month ago, and now I have acne, especially on my neck for some reason (wtf). Did this happen to anyone else? Does it go away after a couple months, or am I stuck with it?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Kanine posted:

ok I've been doing research and it seems like a lot of birth control methods effect sex drive, but IUDs don't seem to? correct me if im wrong

It depends. The hormonal IUDs (Mirena and Skyla) can because they're hormones. The copper IUD (Paragard) doesn't have any hormones that would affect your libido directly, but it has other side effects that can - cramps and other things that can affect your mood and make you want sex less (or more) for non-hormonal reasons.

Basically all birth control (except of course condoms etc) will affect you in SOME way, but the effects and degree to which they affect you vary wildly from person to person.

FWIW, I've got a Mirena and have little to no change in libido from when I wasn't on anything hormonal. But YMMV.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm in month 3 of my Mirena IUD. For those of you that have one, how long did it take for your periods to slow down/stop completely? Mine seem to have gotten worse. Not heavier, but they last longer with slow flow and spotting. That, and the cramps are far worse. If it matters: 35, no kids, generally a regular period that lasts 4-5 days before Mirena, now lasting 7-10 days with Mirena. Also still have occasional spotting randomly during the rest of the month.

I got mine in March and at this point I get about four days of spotting every six weeks ish. But it's pretty random and I get occasional spotting throughout the rest of the time too. It has been less and less every month since March, though. My cramps have completely gone away. It sounds like we've reacted to it pretty differently.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Definitely bullshit. I have not had kids and found getting it put in to be less painful than cramps I've had. But I agree, if your gyno is trying to talk you out of it for bullshit reasons then go somewhere else.

E: and fwiw it was totally worth it, my Mirena means that I get a 2-3 day period every 3 months and it's the best.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I don't have endo, but my Mirena has made my (debilitating) cramps nearly disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I second the recommendation for PP.

However, if you decide to get a GP (general practitioner), you can take it in steps :)

The first thing is something you can do whenever -
Get a copy of your medical records, you just call your last doctor and ask them to send you a copy. They do that all the time, and they can probably mail or fax them to you. You'll want to bring them in to your new GP, although the only thing they really need is your immunization record, and they don't even need that for birth control.

I'd find a doctor who is geographically convenient using Kaiser's tool for finding doctors who take their insurance: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/doctors-locations

Then you can call the doctor or office and ask if they have doctors accepting new patients, and that you'd like to schedule a birth control consultation. "I haven't gotten a new GP since the last time I moved" is a totally reasonable thing to say, even if your last move was within the same city or whatever, no one will give you a hard time about it.

Then you just show up! I know how intimidating it can seem, but that's pretty much it. If it's stressing you out, then just do one thing at a time, and once the appointment is scheduled your work is basically done :)

• Locked thread