Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
I know that the whole IUD thing tends to be a case by case basis in terms of pain and after effects, but thanks to needing to have the loving thing inserted while I'm actively on my period, the only time I can have it done a few hours before a class I am presenting in and cannot miss.

How terrible is this going to be? The doctor I had the counselling session said that it'll just feel like really strong cramps, but my really strong cramps make me cry and lie very still in a dark room. Can I over the counter medicate it? I was told to take ibuprofen a few hours before and also to eat something.

I was also given some sort of drug to ram in there 12 hours before my IUD to soften the cervix, has anyone else experienced that?

She also said that I am welcome to keep using my cup, but she'd had two women have their IUDs yanked out by it in the last month. I'm feeling very on-edge about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
I had my Mirena put in yesterday. I was really, REALLY nervous, reading this thread and a bunch of other stuff had my pain expectations WAY out there.

Even with not having had kids, using the Misoprostol (cervix softener), a retroverted uterus and two different doctors trying three times to get the bloody thing in there it wasn't that bad! The worst I felt was cramps and a bit of a dizzy spell (vasovagal response apparently). I was legs open for close to half an hour but I was still able to hop off the table, go to class that night with a heating pack jammed in my knickers and do a good job. Ibuprofen helps wonderfully. The bleeding has slacked off considerably, I'm just spotting and having very slight cramps.

I realise this is a YMMV situation, but I thought I'd offer up a "difficult" trip report that is still mostly positive. The best part was picking up the Mirena from the pharmacy and taking it to the doctor's office. That box is huge, and it wouldn't fit in my bag so I had to have it across my lap while I waited. I got some stares.

My question now is - if Mirena takes away my period, how will I know if I'm knocked up and growing a mutant baby in my fallopian tubes? The doctors didn't have a very good answer.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

I'm currently having a fun time locating the strings. I think they might have curled back up already, I can feel a "something" but the area is still a little sore (and remarkably far away, the first doctor couldn't reach it with her tiny Asian hands) to go jabbing around crazily. I'm sure it's fine, and I'd notice if it went one way or another. Maybe if I see some pregnancy tests for cheap I'll grab a few to reassure myself until I relax a bit.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

I wish I understood what was going on in my bits. I've had my IUD for a week now, and have been spotting a little. Like two spots a day, if that. Yesterday I went for a short run, and I started cramping pretty hard and bleeding a fair amount. Now it's back to spotting with no cramps. Should I assume that exercise just shook stuff loose? And why is it spotting, anyway?

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

Good Lord, I want the spotting to stop. I spot all day, then have a mega bleed and cramp attack any time I exercise. I wish I wasn't so paranoid about ramming my Diva cup in there, I've never used pads before and I am distinctly grossed out (and going through loads of pads as any trip to the bathroom means I will be changing pads). And the bloating is insane! Also, my tits are loving massive and sore. Perhaps my body thinks my IUD is a sweet plastic baby?

Whine, whine, whine. I hope this all solves itself soon.

On the upside, my moods are totally stable and cheery.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

Help.

Last night during sex my partner could feel the IUD string. It was so painful for him that we had to stop. When that happens, can I get in there and move things around or is that just how things are going to go from now on? It was weird because we've had sex in that position before and it wasn't an issue.

Thanks, randomly moving cervix, you're the BEST.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

Filigree posted:

I just want to come in and gush about how much I love my Mirena. I'm coming up on one year since insertion (and one year period free). I had been on OBC for eight years, so my gyno decided that although I was single, had never been pregnant, and live in one of the most religiously conservatives areas in the US, that she'd let me get Mirena anyway.

I've never had a problem with it until recently. I've been pretty regularly getting crampy-PMSy feelings for three or four months. This was never an issue I had on OBC, and since it didn't start until I'd had my IUD for several months, I'm a bit confused. The first time it happened, I went and got it checked out and she said everything was fine. I've not had any spotting or anything - it's been cramps, small breakouts, and pissyness. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

This is so weird. I was coming here to ask almost this exact question. I have had my Mirena for just over a year and I have loved it. In the last couple of months I have been training for a race, and for the last month I have been in a state of nonstop premenstrual symptoms. My breasts are huge and sore, I'm spotting - a little a day, nothing solid, but definitely ongoing, I have cramps off and on and my moods are horrible.

When I first had the Mirena put in, I had a month of cramps and bitchy bleeding, and then it has since been fine except for a few spots now and then, with a bit of breast tenderness and some cramps. I called those my "mini periods", and the total symptoms lasted for maybe 4 days. But now it won't stop.

Other than the running, nothing else has changed. I have not had a significant weight loss, no other medications. Is it worth going back to my doctor?

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

How heavy is the bleeding? If you're filling a pad/tampon in less than like 3 hours you should call a doctor today. If it's normal period-level bleeding, then you are probably stuck with it. Like I said above, the same exact thing happened with me

It's just slightly heavier spotting. But like, a month of spotting and cramps and tits galore, as opposed to my usual few days of stuff and then done for another month.

I am probably stuck with it, and it's probably just a ~*~*~*~hormone!~*~*~*~ thing, but it's odd that it's almost exactly a year since I had it put in. Coincidence, most likely.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

I just had my Mirena replaced. I was super hesitant to have it done by my regular doctor, and not by a gynecologist because of my retroverted uterus. My first insertion 5 years ago was a real hassle, it took two doctors, forty minutes, and a truly unpleasant vasovagal response. This time went SO much better - it took about 10 minutes pants off to pants on. The only bad part was the strings had curled up into the cervix, and the doctor thought she was straightening them out in order to remove the IUD, but surprise! She pulled on them and the IUD came out and it shocked everyone involved. It felt like I'd been shanked in the cervix, but I recovered pretty well. Aside from some low back pain and a bit of spotting, I'm feeling great.

I'm really hoping the spotting I was starting to regularly get in the last few months will sod off again.

Also, looking at your old IUD is a bit gross, but weirdly fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

Geolicious posted:

I wanted to see it SO BADLY but she wouldn't let me and threw it in the Biohazard bin. I was like "BUT ITS MINE TO GANDER AT"

Yeah, I was expecting barnacles or something. Like an anchor that's been in the ocean for years.

It was just a gross colour and looked a bit sad. Even the strings were a brownish colour.

• Locked thread