Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I had posted a little in the other thread about my girlfriend's (now wife!) experiences with IUD's, and figured people might find it interesting to get a second-hand perspective on it.

She started with a copper IUD because of a worry about hormonal drugs interacting with a medication she was on. It was extremely painful for her within an hour of having it inserted (amazingly the insertion didn't hurt her at all). We had read though how it was painful at first, so she decided to just keep toughing it out. This continued on for months, with it being most painful around her periods. Eventually this led to a diagnosis of endometriosis, which she had surgery to try to get rid off. Anyways, for way too long she kept wanting to tough it out so that she didn't "waste" the money we paid for the IUD, but eventually I convinced her to switch to a Mirena (she was off the medication by this point).

The Mirena was MUCH better, and also significantly smaller. Our current theory is that the copper IUD was so painful because her uterus is quite small (based on sonograms we had done) and the copper IUD was hitting up against it all the time and irritating it. The Mirena is also supposed to help surpress endometriosis. She's been on that for over a year now, and it's been working much better for her.

She no longer has any periods at all, except for spotting every once in a really great while, and her endometriosis symptoms have gone way down. And she never has to remember to take any pill nor seems to have much of the side effects of the normal pill since the dosage level is so small.

We plan on using this indefinitely, and she highly recommends it to all her friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Not exactly related to birth control, but she also wanted me to get out the word to as many people as possible about how to prevent UTI's, since she was getting multiple ones a month at one point, even with peeing and cleaning up after wards each time. And it's not that I have a dirty penis, my ex never had any problems!

We got these little soap towelettes from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SY2344/ref=oss_product) and each wipe our genitals down before sex each time. She's been UTI free for months now since we started that, and it's no more of a hassle than putting on a condom.

So if you find yourself or a friend having UTI's all the freaking time no matter how much they pee or suck down cranberries tablets, give those towelettes a try.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Not Impressed posted:

After 7 years on the pill, I'm seriously considering the Mirena. I've never had regular periods off the pill, so I'm a little concerned about the spotting that people report for the first months. I don't want to end up having spotting for the entire duration. How have other goonettes found the Mirena to be in the spotting/periods department?

And for a semi-embarassing but important question I can't seem to get an answer to - will my partner feel the strings? Even if he's fingering?

I also use the Diva cup and my doctor didn't seem to think it was such a good idea to keep that up with an IUD because of the risk of pulling the strings out. Is anyone out there using a menstral cup with an IUD successfully? Or best to just let this practice go?

After about 4 months, my wife no longer has a period at all. She has very light spotting very irregularly, and that only lasts a day or so. And usually it's caused when she's around her incredibly stressful mother. The first few months were normal, with the intensity decreasing every month until they just went away. It was a little disconcerting at first, we get some pregnancy tests whenever I get paranoid about it :)

I can feel the strings every once in a great while, but I just adjust a little and it's not a big deal. And fingering I never do unless I'm trying to specifically check them. They're quite short and all her "good" spots aren't right next to her cervix anyways.

Also she used a Diva cup (when she still had periods) and had no problems.

showbiz_liz posted:

I hate hormonal birth control because it affects my libido. I want to try an IUD, but aside from all the usual worries, I'm curious as to whether the Mirena has been known to have the same kind of affect on libido. If so I definitely want to go for copper, but since Mirena seems to be so good otherwise, I wanted to be sure.

I haven't noticed an issue with libido at all. She still wants it 3 times a day. The hormones are a lot weaker and more directed, so I think generally Mirena has less side-effects than BC in general. Or at least that I've seen anyways.

• Locked thread