Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question, and I'm sorry if it's been addressed before, there's a lot 'o stuff here.

Has any lady successfully gotten sterilized without already having kids or a condition that would warrant it?

I Do. Not. Want. Babies. Ever. I'm nearly 30, I think I'm old enough to have made up my mind on that. I'm tired of taking the pill and worried it won't always work since I'm overweight (another topic). I want a tubal ligation but every doctor/gyno I've asked won't give me one. The most prevalent reason is because I don't already have kids (I know, you idiot doctor, I don't want any!)

I am not in a position financially to have one done right now, but any info on what to say, how to ask, etc that would actually result in me getting one would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
And it doesn't matter when I tell them if I *do* decide to have kids, I thoroughly plan to adopt, and this is whether I'm sterilized or not. I'm all for reproductive choice. Why isn't sterilization a choice for all women? Grrrr.

I've also had trouble getting doctors to agree to giving me an IUD since I have no kids. Is this common, too, or just the area I'm from? I know there are some ladies who have IUDs and have no kids. But I've been turned down for copper and Mirena. I understand there are some higher risks with those things if you DON'T already have kids, but enough to warrant a flat out no?

DRP Solved! posted:

Have you considered an IUD? Doctors are more likely to be comfortable inserting a copper IUD, which gives you a good 10-12 baby-free years with similar efficacy to sterilization.

You beat me! I've been turned down for IUDs in the past, including copper. I have no idea if it's common to turn down someone with no kids for one or if it's just the insane conservative areas in which I have lived. I've already broken the mold by going to college and not getting married and not having a gaggle of kids by 24....

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 2, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Jack posted:

Planned parenthood? They gave me one at 22/no kids without a second thought.

I'm going to try them. I've never dealt with them, always had my own gyno, but they obviously seem willing to help with the B/C. Maybe they even know someone who would give the tubal ligation.

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost? I'm thinking one upfront payment has still got to be cheaper than 30 bucks a month for the pill. I lost my health insurance, though, but isn't PP pretty affordable for most stuff?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Jack posted:

My paragard was free. I had no insurance and was unemployed at the time. I believe most work on a sliding scale and you only pay what they decide you can afford.

Good to know. I am also jobless and uninsured, but I have been in a long term stable relationship for the last 6 and half years. Hopefully they can help me out!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fire In The Disco posted:

My experience with getting diagnosed with PCOS is that it is as much a clinical diagnosis as a medical one. For instance, I don't have any cysts on my ovaries. But, I do have hugely irregular cycles, unwanted facial hair, other endocrine and hormonal issues (diabetes, fibrocystic breasts), and one of the things they test for came back low. So even without the cysts and without other things coming back out of whack, it made sense to diagnose me with PCOS. Oh and I was on Metformin for my diabetes when I got pregnant with Cecilia, and Met. is generally what women with PCOS take to get pregnant. :)

Huh. I have all these problems. Irregular cycles, which is why I started BC in the first place, unwanted hair mostly on my face, diabetes...well, I don't have fibrocystic breasts. I take Metformin, too. Should I ask my doc about PCOS? My doc who diagnosed my diabetes never mentioned it. I actually HAVE had ovarian cysts in the past (another reason I was put on BC).

And, uh, dumb question, but Metformin doesn't reduce BC efficacy does it? No one mentioned it does. I am assuming PCOS women take Metformin sans BC to get pregnant?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, it does sound like you might be in the running for the wonderful grand prize that is PCOS as well.

No, Metformin doesn't affect BC. It just seems to happen that women with PCOS have some sort of insulin resistance, which affects ovulation, and taking the Met. makes it level out enough that they can ovulate well.

Well, if I can scrape up enough money for another doctor visit, I will ask.

I just wanted to make sure Met wasn't going to make me ovulate despite the pill. Though, the pill has almost eradicated my period, so I doubt implantation could even happen, and my bf and I haven't had sex in nearly a year...but that's a whole other can of worms, I guess. So, I probably shouldn't be worrying about getting knocked up anyhow.

Another PCOS question: I know this is an issue with diabetes, which is how they found it in me, but does PCOS also make it super difficult to lose weight? The found my diabetes because I was working out 5 days a week and eating 1800 calories a day and GAINING weight (not muscle, weight)and they tested me and my AC1 was whack.

But even with Metformin, I am having so much trouble with my weight. Could the added "grand prize" of PCOS be giving me double trouble with weight loss? How do they treat PCOS (besides Met)?

Sorry for the derail, I am just curious. I had no idea that I had all these PCOS symptoms.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

It's more likely that diabetes itself could be making it harder for you to lose weight. Are things going well with your blood sugar?

Yeah. It stays normal to lowish really. Unless I've eaten something atrocious, it stays OK.

I have gotten off my exercise routine, though, like a bad, bad girl. So, yeah, not losing much at the moment. Lost a few pounds in the last few weeks, but I really need to get back to getting my walk on.

Oh well, at least it isn't baby weight! :haw:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am having serious second thoughts about an IUD, you guys. The pill has almost wiped out my period. I'd hate to have to go back to that. Especially if it's awful.

But, seriously, thanks for sharing your stories. I guess it helps weigh the options. I'm getting ready to move 2600 miles away anyhow, so I guess BC isn't going to be my top concern for a while anyhow, so I'll probably stick to the pill for period/cyst control.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Jack posted:

And geo, are you thinking mirena or paragard? I've known people on mirena to lose their periods, but paragard has pretty much always made people's worse. I'm thinking about a mirena now, but I want to see what my period is like paragard-free for a few months to be sure.

I had been thinking Paraguard since I can't seem to find anyone to consent to giving me Mirena in this area. Though, you fine folks in the thread suggested PP might help out in either case, even though I don't have kids.

But, uh, yeah, gently caress Paraguard if it's going to make my periods worse. That and ovarian cysts is why I started BC in the first place. I don't need to go back there. I'm about to start a job where I am going to be in a pit mine ALL day. I don't need any crazy period drama.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Uncool, Marshmallow. Terrible business. I think I'm going to stick to my pill for now. But, reading through the thread, I may give Implanon some consideration.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, in this area, no one wanted to give me either IUD. But, the PP around here does a lot of Paraguard and not as much Mirena, so that's why I had Paraguard on the brain.

But, like I mentioned earlier, I am moving soon, so when I get some time I might pop into the PP in Reno and discuss my options.

I mean, they have to be all about BC in Reno, right? :haw:

edit: What concerns me, though, it switching over to something that will make my periods go crazy, even if it's only at first. I won't be in a position to deal with that so well. So, I think I will stick to the pill for now. The pill has never been inconvenient per se, I have never missed in 8 years of taking it, but it would be nice to have something a little lower maintenance. In an ideal world, I could get my tubes tied...

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 25, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if men would take it? They seem to have this whole ego-type thing tied up with their perceived virility. I know some guys would, but I could see some men putting up the same fuss as they do about a vasectomy.

I asked my guy about a vasectomy and got the whole "no way not my junk" thing. But I mentioned tubal ligation for me and it's all "yeah go for it if you can find a doc". :rolleyes: But, this is really the only subject that my guy is "typical" on.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

Understandably, there are permanent awful side effects that can occur with vasectomies. I asked my SO and I respect his justifiable fear of being in permanent pain. I wouldn't do it either, regardless of how unlikely the chances.

Tubal ligation is a serious surgery too, which neither of us support getting done so v:shobon:v.

Well, the funny thing is most guys are like OMG VASECTOMY :supaburn: but then are just all "well sure tubal ligation sounds great go for it". Even though it's a very serious procedure as well. Maybe women are acting the same way about vasectomies, though.

I desperately want tubal ligation but cannot find a doctor to do it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Egad! posted:

I think I was just expecting Sunday to hit and BAM period.

I've been on the pill (Lo-Ovral-28) for, drat, 8 years now. I've always been a Sunday starter and even when I first started, I didn't get my period until Tuesday. Now, it doesn't even show up until Thursday/Friday. (Cue a few panicky months and pee sticks when it was adjusting.)

That's one reason I am really, really hesitant to come off the pill and onto something else. It has nearly obliterated my period. I just get enough to go "yep not pregnant" and I'm on my way. But I also haven't had any janky side effects like mood swings, weight gain, etc. I want a more "hassle-free" method like IUD or Implanon, but I don't want to go back to period-land. At. All.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Egad! posted:

So now that my period has actually started, I'm relieved but I also feel terrible. Everything I've heard before has made it seem like BC makes your periods more bearable, but mine has done the opposite. Should I just try it for a couple more months and see what happens?

Yeah. Totally. Give it at least 3 months for your body to go "oh hey what have we here". When I first started the pill, I was pretty disappointed that my periods were still the same (i.e. horrible), but after 6 months, complete change.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I was terrified when I had to do my first pee stick (an none too calm any of the other times, either) but just do it and get it over with so you'll know. Chances are, you're fine, but if you are pregnant the sooner you know the more options you can discuss.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DrNewton posted:

I am assuming the woman knows what she is talking about but I want to double check. Is it safe?

I can't help you out much with other options as I have never needed lube, but Vaseline + Condom = Torn Condom.

Never use an oil (i.e. petroleum) based lube with a latex condom.

edit: If you make enough natural lubrication, I can't see there being an issue. I mean, our bodies do that for a reason. It's what I have always relied on. It will not hurt the condom's structural integrity as our vaginal secretions are not petroleum based. If you experience any irritation, then you can explore other water-based lubricants (which I cannot offer much info on myself).

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 17, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

First of all, lube is fun for those in need and those in non't (thanks Geolicious).

Sorry, I was not implying that one shouldn't use lube at all even if one had enough natural lubrication. I was just trying to point out that natural lubrication is OK on it's own if it works and will not damage condoms. I apologize if what I said sounded otherwise.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Nah, you're fine. I was just teasing. You should give lube a try sometime, just for funsies. ;)

Ha! But, it was best that I did clarify my point.

To be honest, I have never cared for it. Tried it with a couple of partners in the past and it just seemed excessive for me. Thankfully, I've been, uh, "blessed" with natural abilities and it's worked out grand!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

I tell my SO everything though.

Me, too. And bless him, he actually listens and gives a drat even if he probably doesn't want to hear about my period.

He's also pretty calming when I'm running around screaming because I'm 20 seconds late. God, I want my tubes tied.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

boquiabierta posted:

At the clinic where I work we insert IUDs and Implanon at any time, regardless of whether the patient's already on BC. We just make sure they've been using a reliable method of contraception (including condoms, withdrawal or abstinence) for at least two weeks so that we can reasonably ensure they're not pregnant.

Maybe I"m reading this wrong, but I find it a little disconcerting that your clinic considers withdrawal a reliable method of contraception.

vvv Well, I guess I've been misinformed. I still wouldn't use it myself, though. vvv

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 14, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've been following this thread and wanted to ask if it's common, or at least not unheard of to take the pill to control your period while you had something else like the IUD or Implanon. I think I've seen a few people mention it.

I'm about to get pretty decent insurance and I really want to step up my BC game. I just don't feel as confident with the pill (though I've never missed one in 8 years!) and would like something more long term and more confidence inducing.

But as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, 8 years of pill use has pretty much wiped out my period. A day and half of spotting at best. Not only is that awesome, the work I do would make going back to a heavy period just plain awful. I have no access to bathrooms out there. I've thought about the divacup, but I'd just rather not go back to period days at all.

I know it seems stupic to take the pill AND have something else, but I cannot go back to period-land.

Although, with the new insurance, I'm going to try to get Essure/ligation first.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
As it turns out, weirdly enough, my old gyno from VA now practices in Carson City. So, as soon as my insurance kicks in, I think I will set up with him. I liked him a lot and he seems like he thinks women can be trusted with their own bodies.

I want Mirena. I have since I first heard about it. But I am facing resistance about it from every doc I've asked. If this doc won't, then I might try PP about it. Mirena just seems like the best option for me, aside from sterilization. I just need to find someone who knows a 29 year old (nearly) is totally capable of making those decisions for herself.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That's really awesome and convenient.

I know it has to be him. A) I was told a few years ago he moved to NV and B) he has a very odd last name (and the same first name).

He's the only male gyno I've seen that did not make me feel just super awkward.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

My Little Puni posted:

Also there are so many cat avatars. What the Christ?

Says a person with a MLP avatar :haw:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tigntink posted:

This honestly sounds extremely normal for me. It's why the diva cup has really worked out for me because tampons don't do anything for clots. I'm honestly worried that I have some sort of clotting disorder because I can get a deep as gently caress gash that will spurt blood and then stop after 1 spurt. I've had a million tests run on me for other reasons so I think they would have picked something up but meh.

A little off topic, but my guy is like this. He cut his knee just super deep a while back and I'm going " :supaburn: stitches!" because he's pouring blood. He just says "nah" and after a little pressure with his hanky, it totally stopped bleeding and was completely scabbed up the next day. As far as anyone can tell, though, his blood is A-OK.

Me? I'll bleed out from a paper cut.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

2tomorrow posted:

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. :)

I'd be happy to talk about my use of St. John's Wort in more detail (I honestly don't deny that it might be placebo effect, but it still works which when we're talking about can't-get-out-of-bed crippling depression is all that matters to me) but I don't have PMs. Do you have an e-mail you feel comfortable posting? If not I can do a throwaway one. I'll be online all evening though (yay heavy smoke from distant wildfires making breathing outside impossible) so can get back to you quickly.

My depression is coming back and I'm not really having sex with my guy right now so I'd like to hear about this.

mandolin1013 at yahoo got com

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lanthanum posted:

After 3 straight months of bleeding

drat, girl.

I don't even know how you dealt with that poo poo. I get pissed off if I go for three days :psyduck:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I feel ridiculously lucky that the first pill I tried was the pill for me. I started Lo-Ovral 28 (or the generic equiv) back in early 2003 and that's been all I've ever needed. It did reduce my sex drive, but honestly, it was a little welcome, because my sex drive was insane before the pill.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Budget Bears posted:

Worst case scenario, I have emergency contraceptives on hand. But still... :ohdear:

The most effective window for emergency contraception is 72 hours. Someone else can probably answer about pregnancy symptoms. I just wouldn't know but I do know it's different for everyone. I think my mom had morning sickness about 3 seconds after conception. But, I had some aunts who never had any at all.

I had a scare once and I made myself nauseous and vomity from the stress and worry. Try to calm down (I know, I know.) and if you're late, pee on the stick.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Budget Bears posted:

My next period isn't due for a little over two weeks so I won't know if I'm late until then. At that point it will have been ~3 1/2 weeks since conception. What would my options be at that point, if I do turn out to be pregnant? Not trying to get ahead of myself, just want to be prepared.

In simplest terms: keep it, adoption, or termination.

I would go to an OBGYN or Planned Parenthood as soon as you know (and to get a second test) to fully explore what's going to be best option for you.

Fingers crossed you're fetus-free!

edit: Did your BC fail? Is that why you're worried? (I've been there) If you're not pregnant, maybe go to PP anyhow and discuss a more reliable BC? That is, if you aren't already using one.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 15, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Budget Bears posted:

I'm on the patch, and I've been using it exactly as instructed. Never even had an Oops My Patch Fell Off moment. So I think the chances are pretty slim. I'm just freaked out by the unexplainable nausea and vomiting. Thanks for the advice. :)

I'm sure you're fine then! But, hey, I can totally relate to the paranoia. I start freaking out if I'm a few hours late. I just KNOW I must be that 0.1% so cue :supaburn: freakout.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Dang Geo, are you really that regular? I'm envious of girls who know what day or even within a few days that you're going to start. I've been on Implanon for 4+ years and was on Depo for 4+ before that. Ragging is always a hello moment for me.

Yep. Been on Lo-Ovral for 8+ years. It was the first pill I tried and it so worked for me. I've been very lucky. Through the years my period has gotten shorter and shorter on the pill, meaning it starts later and later instead of ending earlier. So, I've peed on quite a few sticks while my bf just shakes his head and tells me to calm down.

Right, now, it's been happening on Thursday mornings for a while. And wraps up by Saturday night. That's why I want Mirena for something more long term. I just cannot go back to period land on another BC.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Something similar happened to me when I was on my month long field methods course. Sleeping outside, poor sleep, poor nutrition, dehydration. Like EW said, keep on keeping on with the pills. Once she's in a better situation it will even back out.

Stress makes the female cycle do amazing insane things.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Before I started the pill, I got horrible "middle pain", just as bad as cramps.

And I would get it in my back and hips, too, as well as where one would expect. Basically, my pre-pill life was hell.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My colposcopy was awful. Before, during, and after. It all hurt so badly. My bf was nice enough to take me, since I was in my hometown at the time. He bought me ice cream afterwards, even though I just wanted to shove it into my vag. I went home and went to bed with bleeding and cramps for more than a day. But, subsequent paps have revealed no more displaysia.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 7, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

evelynevvie posted:

drive-by acne

I am so stealing this. :)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am going for my yearly exam on Tuesday morning. This a brand new doc for me in Nevada. It's a lady and an NP, but I hope she will listen to me and be open to my wanting a Mirena. And send me to someone who will/can do it if she can't. (Not sure if NP's can do that).

However, I do have a plan B (no pun). I was talking to our office draftsperson and she has a gyno in Reno who gave her Mirena, no questions asked. Apparently he's European and has the ability to trust women with their bodies. Amazing!

She said it was the most awesome 5 years of BC ever.

edit: I hope things clear up Chicken Doodle. Depression is the worst. I always cry when I see/read/hear someone else having to deal with it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My new gyno said yesterday that I was an ideal candidate for Mirena.

And I found out today my insurance doesn't cover IUDs of any kind and Mirena would be $1100+ up front. I am super bummed about that. I finally found a doctor that thinks it's a good idea for me and I can't even afford it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am going to call PP as soon as I have a chance. But if it's over 500 or 600 I still may not be able to afford it. I am not low-income. The pill runs me 10 a month. Big difference. The pill works for me, I just want something lower maintenance right now and with a smidgen more peace of mind. I am so afraid my pill is going to fail because I am overweight.

As I understand it, BC coverage by insurance next year only applies to NEW policies, so I'd be screwed anyhow, unless they change it.

• Locked thread