Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
The gyno who put mine in said 6-8 weeks of post insertion bleeding/spotting and not to worry unless it was super heavy and super painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Took pill for the first 8 years of me relationship with Mr. Geo then switched to Mirena. It's been 11 years now. He's still mega cute and smells great. Like the ocean. Verdict: There was literally no change.

Tylenol can kill you. That TAL episode was insane.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

uberwekkness posted:

So after a few years with no period, thanks to Mirena, I'm back to bleeding every month. I've got five months left on this thing before I'm due to switch to a new one. Anyone know if my period will go away again once I've switched?

It's kind of impossible to tell because bodies be crazy but I would think maybe you might since you'd be back up to the higher progesterone dosage. The progesterone dosage drops off in the Mirena (it's still effective of course) in the last year or so and some women get their periods back to some degree.

I've just passed 3 years so I am curious as to what will happen. I've had 3 spotting events this year. And by spotting I mean like for a couple of hours.

You ladies gettin' tubals gives me hope for 2017 when my Mirena is up. My Plan A is to ask for a tubal and Plan B (no pun) is just another Mirena.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have never had a yeast infection but many of my lady friends who have said DO NOT USE the Monistat 1 Day or your lady junk will burn like 10,000 suns. :supaburn:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Every so often I get cramps so bad and sharp and quick I feel like I am going to poo and sometimes they are near my "period" and sometimes they aren't and it doesn't happen every month. They usually last for about an hour but I also usually take ibu as soon as I feel them coming on. I always chalked to up to "thing in my uterus".

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time for it to be accurate?

If you've missed your period, any test should be accurate. I use my first pee of the morning on pee sticks, too.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
IUD was an easy choice for me. But really, if you do a side by side comparison, all the IUD offers over then implant is longer effectiveness time. 5 years (Mirena) or 10 years (Paragard) versus 3 years for the implant. And Mirena and the implant both edge out Paragard with lighter periods.

And there's also the whole "is it, isn't it" argument with some the efficacy of some birth controls and being overweight. It's one of the reasons I wanted off the pill, because no gyno couldn't give me a straight answer, and the jury is still out on Implanon/Nexplanon. There's no weight contraindications with the IUDs.

I'm pretty pleased with my Mirena and plan to get Round 2 in 2017. Even though I don't have sex anymore, the absence of periods has almost been more than worth it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah basically all the clinical studies and trials didn't include overweight women and no one has really gone back and said "let's do some studies WITH overweight women since you know, they have sex and want to avoid pregnancy, too". Alas. There's just these spotty studies that suggest we metabolize the hormones faster.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
All my BC pill inserts warned of issues with contact lens wear. I, thankfully, never had that issue. Anything with estrogen can reduce your tear output as well as just make your eyeballs more sensitive.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Paragard is still only approved for 10 years by the FDA. I think in Europe they'll let you keep it for 12+.

Mirena is only approved for 5 years by the FDA. But studies are showing it's likely good for 6.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea how the pill had affected my libido until I switched to Mirena. My libido skyrocketed. Has stayed skyrocketed (which makes no sex all the more frustrating).

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had significant period lightening even with combo pills.

And every lady I know with the implant has said her period has gotten lighter, albeit irregular. But, poo poo, I'd take irregular over murderpants anemia periods.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Copper IUD is hormone free. So if you want off of hormones entirely, go with that one.

Estrogen is usually (but not always) the culprit with hormonal issues on BC. Mirena is progesterone only. You can maybe ask your doc to try you on the mini pill before you take the IUD plunge to see if you do OK with progesterone only. And the hormones from the IUD are much more localized.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you can get big packs of the strips on Amazon for pretty cheap. The only downside is they're the ones you have to pee in a cup and dip the strip. But they work just as well. Just search for test strips. Also, dollar store tests are just as good as the drugstore kind as long as you're not trying to detect early.

I'm a big believer in peeing on the stick to ease your mind. Or get answers so you can assess your options.

But don't feel alone. I pretty much lived in accidental pregnancy anxiety in all my years on the pill, even with my super anal schedule taking them. And I can guarantee you I'd be anxious with my Mirena if I had PiV sex. I think it's just part of my programming. Being pregnant is the literal last thing I want.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
One of my good friends with Paragard swears by Vitamin E supplements for her ParaPeriods.

Ibu always works best for me. I think I read somewhere they work better on prostaglandins(?)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

legendof posted:

I got a Mirena put in about a month ago, and now I have acne, especially on my neck for some reason (wtf). Did this happen to anyone else? Does it go away after a couple months, or am I stuck with it?

Yes and no.

About 3 months after I got my Mirena my skin got baaaaaaaaaaad. Just loving terrible. From about Sept '12 to February '13 it was just awful. But it finally settled down and cleared up after a 0.5% benzoyl peroxide regimen.

However, I still have times where my skin just hella flares up and looks atrocious. I am just coming out of a terrible flare that was pretty much Thanksgiving to now. I will have had the Mirena 4 years come June.

Obviously, as with all BC, YMMV. But that's my experience. Even the dumb neck acne and I'd never had that before.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
They stock numerous brands/formulations, which vary from clinic to clinic. Did they give her a script? If so the pharmacist can give her more info when she has it filled.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing "better" is the IUD because user error is not applicable. But that's *her* decision and hers alone.

That said, I took the combo pill for a decade. Every day, on time, never got pregnant.

The only thing I will add, and only if this is applicable to her, is that some studies have indicated that some forms of HBC (combo pills, POPs, implant) may not work as well in women over a certain BMI (~30). I have never been able to get a straight answer from any gyno about it, but it played into my decision to get the IUD, which is not contraindicated by weight.

If you're not OK with being a dad right now and still want to proceed with having sex, I think you both need to have a talk about expectations should the BC fail.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It can. It might not. 3 months is how long to wait and evaluate the body's response. If she's still having undesirable side effects after 3 months, then it will be appropriate to discuss a switch.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I can relate to her on that a bit. I was raised evangelical fundamentalist with shoddy sex ed. I didn't question the first BC script Planned Parenthood of Knoxville gave me. Surely they knew better than me. And at that time, they did. They gave me a tried and true script that came in generic that they knew I wouldn't have trouble getting as a poor college student wanting to keep this off the parental insurance books. I was too nervous to ask questions.

PP is not uneducated or uncaring, though. What they are is likely very busy, understaffed, and most assuredly underfunded.

If she felt brushed off or not properly cared for, I urge her to go back armed with observations, concerns, and questions. A doctor or clinician cannot answer a question that was not asked. She has to be her own best advocate here. For this and any aspect of healthcare.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Keep taking your pills they way you're supposed to. Consistency is only going to help you here. And be patient. Stress loving *ruins* cycles for some people.

It never hurts to call your doc or women's health pro if you're concerned. That's what they're there for.

Also, take care of yourself. Be good to yourself. Do some nice things for yourself. Line up some stress relief days.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My job has me stressed to the absolute edge right now and nothing in my body is working right at all. Periods. Digestion. Thinking. Sleeping. Forgetfulness is like my new specialty.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm seeing a new gyno (that my GP rec'd so I trust her word) in 4 weeks and having my Mirena taken out 10 months early. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but I haven't had sex in over 3 years and it's just not worth the bad skin and sideburns and lady stache anymore. I feel like those things would be easier to handle if I could be like "look at all this baby free sex I am having!!!"

I'm going ask to go back on LoOvral 28, which I took for 10 years with only good side effects. And since no sex, I guess I don't need to be worried about the weight contraindication anymore.

I'm pretty nervous about getting it out, though. I know out is supposed to be easier than in but I've already convinced myself the strings are gone and the IUD is up by my brain now.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MockTurtle posted:

Fear not the removal! Thanks to rejection and accidental removal (oops) I've been through about 6 placements and removals at this point. The removal is nowhere near as bad as insertion. Do you know the feeling when you use a tampon and it's not quite saturated so it's cringey to remove? The IUD coming out isn't even that bad.

Thank you for the reassurance! I know several ladies with IUDs but they all got theirs in the last year or so, so no one is at removal stage.

I'm excited for better skin again. My sex life... is complicated and it's affected my self esteem so I am hoping that no longer having puberty skin might give me a boost.

Kanine posted:

ok I've been doing research and it seems like a lot of birth control methods effect sex drive, but IUDs don't seem to? correct me if im wrong

I never knew the pill had really affected m sex drive, I always felt it was normal but then I got my IUD and I was a HornDog5000.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gnossiennes posted:

but even then the breakthrough pain was terrible.

I'm looking forward to this. I've had a whole week of terrible phantom cramps. And like for the last year I feel like I'm always having near daily twinges. Like, the IUD is great, I technically love it. I recommend women look into it. I think wider spread use will lead to significant drops in unintended pregnancies.

I'm bitter about mine because of what happened to my sex life. It's not the Mirena's fault, but I'm like "these 4+ years of phantom cramps, acne, and facial hair are not worth it in the face of not getting to have all that carefree sex I wanted to".

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
IUD free now. The strings of course were MIA because nothing in my life goes smoothly, but she was able to hook it with... something. The actual removal I didn't even feel (she made me cough hard) but the 10 minutes of rooting around for it was not the best way I've spent a morning. Still not as bad as the insertion.

She gave me 3 months of Mircette (which was all 100% free, Thanks Obama!) and told me my GP could do my follow up paps/pills. Which is good since my GP's copay is way less than a gyno's. I wanted to go back to Lo Ovral 28 since that's what I took for 10 years but apparently I am just so drat old now (33) the pill is gettin' risky.

The emotional fallout has been more than I expected. Just a sort of concrete reminder that my sex life is over for the foreseeable future.

Here's hoping my skin clears up!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I was told to expect 6-8 weeks of spotting and/or period type events.

I had mine inserted June 20, 2012 and had very light spotting for 2 weeks post insertion and then I had a 5 day, heavier than a period I got on the pill period. Then... radio silence until this past February. The I had 2-3 day spotting events about every 35 days and then the week before I had it removed I had about a 6 day thing that was little more than spotting but still very light.

Bear in mind only about 20% of women with Mirena experience amenorrhea at all. And every experience is so different for each woman.

In related news: gently caress this post removal spotting. I was hoping going right back onto a combo pill would help but no. My uterus is jonesing for its direct progesterone hit.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Christabel posted:

Also, looking at your old IUD is a bit gross, but weirdly fascinating.

I wanted to see it SO BADLY but she wouldn't let me and threw it in the Biohazard bin. I was like "BUT ITS MINE TO GANDER AT"

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

remigious posted:

I have a dumb question: I've been on the pill for about 2 years, in the past I went to PP to get it (thanks obamacare). Now I have health insurance through kaiser, so do I have to go through kaiser for more pills or can I still go to PP?

PP accepts insurances, but I'm sure it varies from clinic to clinic and state to state. I would call your clinic you go to and ask if they accept your new insurance and if they do you'll be able to stay with PP and get your sweet sweet free whore pills.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My Mirena insertion was the second most painful thing of my life. The first being 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my hands. All I can say in that I was feeling a lot better in 24 hours and pretty much back to normal after 48. I hope that's the case for you, VoidBurger. gently caress Mango Mussolini.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

They said I'm too young to get sterilized (I'm 33 next month),

This is such horseshit. I'm 34 and I want sterilization. I'M THIRTY FOUR I'M NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY MIND

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have PCOS and I had a Mirena. Nothing went awry.

Now, all IUDs run the risk of increasing benign ovarian cysts, but in the 4.5 years I had my Mirena I think I only recall 2 or 3 cysts that I noticed. And they resolved on their own.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If it's endo, is ablation an option for you?

Mirena is used to manage endo as well, but I am not sure if it helps the pain in addition to lightening the bleeding.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had cramps all the time on Mirena, with the worst ones being around my "period". I chalked it up to my brain going through all the period motions but my uterus not having any lining to get rid of.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 34 and got my Mirena pulled right before I turned 34 because I couldn't handle the acne anymore. I am on Mircette, a lower estrogen pill (because, according to my gyno "You are getting pretty old") and my skin is so much better. I get a few little chin spots near my period but that's it. No more full face, deep cystic breakouts.

I have heard good things about Spiro as well, especially if you're getting the 30s lady 'stache as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My bffl got clots with it but it turns out she also has Factor V Leiden so I am sure that didn't help.

• Locked thread