Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't quite given up yet. I plan to call PP tomorrow or Friday. I would like to try to get it before it may or may not be covered in a year. I make good money on paper, but bills and student loans does not leave me with a lot of disposable income.

I worry about the pill failing because I am overweight, yet no one who had prescribed me the pill since I have gotten heavier has mentioned it might be less effective. I've only read that online. Should I not be as worried about this as I am? I am trying hard to lose weight but I am diabetic and it just doesn't come off very well.

edit: I may call that doctor back and express my concerns about being overweight. Maybe she'll give me something stronger.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

DRP Solved! posted:

How much do you weigh? Which pill are you using? As far as what current evidence suggests, weight doesn't really have an effect on the effectiveness of birth control pills. We discussed this topic in a bit more depth a few pages back. Feel free to click on the ? button at the bottom of my post to find it.

I'm currently 219 and 5'4". I've lost about 20 pounds since March. I've been using Lo-Ovral 28 (or generic) since 2003.

Sorry if I missed the posts. I have tried to read all of the thread.

edit: I don't even know why my knickers are all in a bunch about it. I haven't seen my bf in 6 months. So it's not like I'm doing it all the time.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the reassurance. Some info had said it's a non issue; some had said it reduces it to about 95% effectiveness. I trust lady goons to know their poo poo, though.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DRP Solved! posted:

What about us manly man goons?

Oh dear :ohdear: Forgive my assumption. This is the thread about infants in vaginas!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Holy Double Post Batman!

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 1, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bobula posted:

Well, your profile says Nevada. Hop on over the border to California. I have an out of state ID (despite living here in CA) and they had no issue with giving me a teal card and shoving a free Mirena up in there, as long as I had a home address here.

What is a teal card and what does it do and how do I get one. I am seriously 2 hours from CA.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
But I do have insurance. I mean, I can bend the truth a little, but I doubt they would give me one with an NV ID.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Are there no PPs in NV? You don't need the teal card to get cheep bc, just lie about having insurance.

There are. Closest one is in Reno. I'll feel badly about lying, but I really want the drat Mirena.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have any California friends :( Hell, I don't have any Nevada friends.

If I go to PP and lie about not having insurance, should I lie about my income, too? What's a good figure? I'm pretty sure if I tell them my real income they won't discount me.

I'm thinking I should just save my pennies rather than lie all over the place...

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Reformed Tomboy posted:

If you're uncomfortable with lying, and can save up to get it, go for it then. I certainly couldn't save up that much, but that's me.

I am not that comfortable with lying about it since there are so many women who ARE uninsured and low income. I know I'm not stealing from them (I hope), it just feels wrong. It would take me about a year to save up 1100 bucks, if I was lucky.

I'mma think about it some more.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good way to look at it, though. I AM uninsured in this instance.

Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it. It would benefit him as well! Well, sometimes anyhow.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not really trying to get it for free, I just had no idea it cost 1100+ bucks without insurance. Even 5 years of my pills is only 600 bucks. If I could get it for maybe half the cost, I could maybe save up for it a little easier.

I'll call PP as soon as I have a chance and see what they say. I never have time to make a phone call these days!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Peggy Lee posted:

I would totally be the type of person to say, 'You want to spooge up in here? Help pay for it.' :colbert: That, and a lot of guys I know would be psyched to have near-guaranteed baby-prevention without having to cut up their junk.

I hate how men get all squeamish about a drat vasectomy but have zero problem with us getting things shoved into us or cut into to prevent babies.

My boyfriend was very excited to hear I could get Mirena and upset I couldn't afford it. He probably would chip in if he could, but I make more than twice what he does and I can't afford it!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NaturalLow posted:

Judging from what she posted after that, it doesn't sound like she even asked him to because he makes less money than her and wouldn't be able to afford it, not some "I don't pay for girl stuff :smug: " attitude.

This. He would totally pitch in if he could. He even helped pay for my pill when I was out of a job/insurance a while back. But both of us are having it really tight right now with my crushing student debt and him having to help with some of his mother's medical bills.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Triangulum posted:

Both parties should pay some portion of the birth control bill, especially if you can barely freakin' afford it on your own. Both paying 50/50 might not be practical but pulling the "oh well you make more, you pay for all of it even though it totally benefits me too" crap is bullshit and super thoughtless.

For the record, my bf has never said anything like this. I never even asked him to help pay for Mirena. I know he can't, I mean, I can't, so why ask right now?

As I posted earlier, he has helped pay for my pill in the past, so you seem to be making some assumptions, at least in my case.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I said "Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it."

I suppose the language I used insinuated he wouldn't rather than couldn't. But no, I can't get him to pay for it. He can't pay with what he doesn't have. I can't even pay for it.

What I meant was "Too bad neither of us can afford it".

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Triangulum posted:

Doesn't this mean you're new plan will be required to pay for your birth control? Or do the new regulations start up later than that?

Quick question: I realize I should have asked PP this when I called, but when they say "no sex for two weeks before getting an IUD" does that mean "no penises in your vagina", "no penetrative sex", or "no sexual activity"? What's the reasoning for this?

My understanding is that your cervix is going to me mighty tender and possibly more susceptible to bacteria (Confirm/Deny that one?) I think that 2 week window is to let your lady bits recover from being pushed, poked, extended, and shoved.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Completely different BC, but when I started the pill way back when I had some pretty severe hair loos for about 6 months. It got super thin. It eventually stopped and a lot of it came back, but I will have to say my hair has never been as thick as it was before BC. But, as long as I have no bald spots, I'm cool.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. My college gave out Durex for free... by the drat handfuls. I had more condoms than I knew what to do with by the time I left college.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Also, please explain why you chose to get an IUD without insurance.

I don't know her reasons, but I am trying to save up for one, too. As previously discussed, my insurance won't cover IUDs, so I'd have to pony up. I'm so tired of worrying about the pill failing because of my weight (whether that's a valid worry or not is another story).

I have a little saved, but I may be back at square one after I buy my plane ticket home for Christmas :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Geo, have you looked into Implanon? It's fantastic! (I'm on #2)

I have. I don't feel I would be in the lucky few to have stopped periods and I am not willing to go back to (possibly) heavy and irregular period land.

One of the many things I love about the pill is the ability to know about and control my period. I know what day and what time it's coming. And it's light and usually cramp free these days.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Brennanite posted:

Also, why oh why does my insurance specifically exclude IUDs from coverage?

I want to know this, too.

Wouldn't IUDs (or other longer term methods) be insanely cheaper in the long run compared to pills, patches, rings, and insuring a child?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My insurance pays $20 on my pills each month, so they will have shelled out the figure you quoted, $1200 over 5 years.

Even if they paid only half of what I was quoted for my IUD, then they'd only pay $550. Less than half. Even if they paid the full price they'd still save 100 bucks!

I guess I really don't understand how insurance works.

vvv The scientist in me gets all worked up over the logic and I briefly forget I am a woman and therefore am to be screwed over. vvv

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 13, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Agreeable Employer posted:

What's the info on high humidity affecting birth control pills?

I'll be staying with my mom and stepdad for 10 days on Wednesday and I will be staying in their basement during that time. The humidity can get from 65-75%. Wondering if I should keep my pills in a different level of the house.

That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer but I did live in southeast Alabama for 3 years and no one who prescribed me pills when I was there warned against humidity. I think it't temperature more than humidity. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry if there's any question.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Diving Buttress posted:

Is this normal or the sign of a problem?

I currently take Lo-Ovral and while I started out ~3 years ago my period was like clockwork, with normal, rather heavy periods, over time they have gotten lighter and now just take longer to start. I used to have my period mid-week during the placebo pills. For the past few months I don't actually start bleeding until the day before or the day I actually start my next pack of pills. Last month, I actually skipped my period altogether (with the exception of a small drop of blood on a tampon one day). Currently I'm on a placebo week and I would really like to just bleed already. Sounds weird.

I don't know if I should consider switching to a new pill or what. I have no unpleasant side effects from Lo-Ovral, but I would like to not freak out every month as my period gets later and later. My gyn has assured me even a tiny smudge counts as your period when you're on the pill, but I still worry. I do have PCOS.

This is my experience with Lo-Ovral. Would get my period every Tuesday, 3rd day of placebo, in the AM. I, too, am so tired of the freakouts in the months I have sex (LDR, so it doesn't happen a lot). I'm also worried my weight might make it less effective, too, so double worry whammy. This last period didn't start until the 6th, SIXTH, day of placebo (Friday). I was almost whipping out the pee stick because I actually saw my guy last month. I haven't missed one all together, but sometimes they are pretty damned light. Now, if I skip a placebo week, though, it's hell.

But since Lo-Ovral has worked for me for the last 8+ years in every respect, I won't ditch it until I can afford Mirena. I'll keep taking it at the same time everyday, keep some pee sticks handy, try to keep losing weight, and try not to stress.

Good Luck!

edit: I re read and saw you asked if this was a problem. I asked my gyno about it a year ago(ish), and she said it very well could be just a thing with the pill and with how long I've been on it. So little uterine lining there. Not much of a period. Though it seems like it would still start at the same time.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 17, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely have to start a Mirena fund. Lord knows how long it would take me to save up a grand, though...

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Koivunen posted:

Being on Vicodin for more than one day (which is seriously crazy for just an IUD) is really shady and I would question the care received at that facility.

I was on Vicodin for more than one day once. But it was for 2nd and 3rd degree burns, which seriously, seriously hurt. But, I don't think it was over a week.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My gyno was explaining the procedure to me and said it just made it a tad easier for her if I were on my period because the cervix is more open, but it wasn't going to be a huge deal if I wasn't. She said it would still be about the same amount of discomfort for a bit.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
drat. If it did that, I'd really suspect a defective IUD. Like it didn't have the structural integrity it was supposed to or something. But, I'm just speculating.

Poor thing. I hope you are feeling better.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bobula posted:

MIRENA IS MAN'S GREATEST INVENTION

I have so many fingers crossed for a good tax return. I NEED ONE NOW!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I started my period yesterday, which would have been 2nd day of my placebo. These days I usually do not start until the 4th or 5th day of placebo.

I did not miss a pill or take a pill at a different time. I haven't skipped a week of placebo in a long time. Can I chalk it up to crazy family stress while home for the holidays (I got back home Sunday), lots of air travel stress, and a way different diet? Or should I be concerned my pill isn't working as well?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fine-tune posted:

I would say stress and air travel are the culprits (though diet is probably in there, too). Travel is especially bad if you change time zones a bunch. De-stress, get your diet back to your normal and see what happens next month. Maybe schedule a mental health day off from school/work in there if you can.

Didn't even think of the time zone madness. Plus, I did a complete 180 on what I ate for a week.

For some reason, in the past year, I have become super paranoid about my pill not working. I guess because of all my weight gain in the past year (which I am slowly reversing).

But, it looks like I can probably get Mirena in February or March, so I hope that eases my mind. I have not seen or heard about any issues about weight with Mirena.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 3, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

evelynevvie posted:

It's only if you get a new insurance plan, I believe. :(

Yeah, from everything I have read, it seems to only apply to those who get new policies. I, myself, have not read anything about any grandfathering procedures.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Medium Blue posted:

Hmmmm. I had a numbing agent applied. The effects can't last over a day, surely? Because unfortunately sex was kind of meh last night in a way it never has been, and it was pretty frustrating and also confusing. :(

Aren't you supposed to wait two weeks after IUD insertion before getting it on again? It might be best to wait for a while and let your cervix bounce back before anymore sexyfuntimes.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably getting Mirena next month (maybe March depending on work scheduling). Is the spotting you guys are talking about like pantyliner spotting? Or something a bit more substantial? I just want to buy the right supplies for right after. Will I be able to go back to tampons after the initial 2 week waiting period? I do not relish the idea of ever wearing a pad again.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks. I cannot wait to baby proof my uterus (as much as one can short of a tubal anyhow).

edit: I am not 100% sure and I am researching and making calls, but my insurance, which is provided through a Canadian company might be breaking Nevada law by not providing some manner of coverage on an IUD. I'm sure there's a loophole, but I will pursue it.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shnooks posted:

Basically I'm just whining.

I think it's totally OK to whine about basic loving healthcare being so damned expensive.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So the Nevada Division of Insurance got back to me today saying the only reason an insurance provider offering coverage within Nevada could deny BC coverage (drugs or devices) was for religious affiliation.

I'm trying to get them a copy of my policy, but my insurance might be busted on this one. Though, my hopes aren't too high, I have a feeling there's some loophole.

Also, I do not know if this has been posted but here as a link directing to contraceptive equity laws in 26 states: http://www.nwlc.org/resource/contraceptive-equity-laws-your-state-know-your-rights-use-your-rights-consumer-guide-0

Edit: Oh wow. The NDI told me to ask about getting a different IUD rather than Paraguard or Mirena and maybe my insurance will cover that. Apparently her knowledge of IUDs is slim. *sigh*

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 25, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Wizard posted:

"WHAT THE gently caress MAN, I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS."

I had to laugh at this.

I'm pretty sure if my uterus said that, I'd ask her where she ever got that idea from.

IUD front: I have to first try to file an appeal with my insurance, but if that doesn't work, the Nevada Division of Insurance will step in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Our insurance rep I am talking to says my insurance follows all federal mandates. I told her I am talking state mandates and trying to explain to her what contraceptive equity laws in the US mean (I'm dealing with Canadians here) and how they don't just apply to policies issued within the state (at least not in Nevada). She did say, though, that sometimes they aren't aware of all the state specifics until someone brings it to their attention.

What does this mean to you guys?:

NRS 689B.0376 Policy covering prescription drugs or devices to provide coverage for drug or device for contraception and of hormone replacement therapy in certain circumstances; prohibited actions by insurer; exceptions.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 5, an insurer that offers or issues a policy of group health insurance which provides coverage for prescription drugs or devices shall include in the policy coverage for:
(a) Any type of drug or device for contraception...

Subsection 5 is a religious exemption. No where in the code have I found anything that says Nevada policies only.

Should I just stop trying to fight it and pony up? I don't know that I have the energy to fight these people.

• Locked thread