Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimHuman
Jan 1, 2004

It's either real or it's a dream
There's nothing that is in between
Paragard/copper IUD trip report: I got my IUD in November 2009 and posted a few times about terrible pain afterward, so I thought I should give my impressions now. For reference, I am currently 24 and married with no children. My fantastic gynecologist suggested the IUD when I was 23 (then engaged) because I can't use hormonal birth control for medical reasons.

For me, the IUD is great. The first 7-9 months of periods were (relative to what I'd had previously, at least) hellishly painful and had absurd, Ultra-tampon-soaked-in-4-hours bleeding. After that, the pain and bleeding plummeted back down to slightly worse than pre-IUD. If I put a number on it, maybe 15% more bleeding and cramping? Otherwise, no discomfort, no worries, and no accidental babies so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimHuman
Jan 1, 2004

It's either real or it's a dream
There's nothing that is in between

lunarian posted:

Thank you for posting your update! I just got the Paragard in November of 2010 so I've only had it for about 2 months and I have been considering removal because my periods are so awful, but if it gets better then I may just stick it out. You have given me hope. Thank you.
I'd recommend sticking it out for a few months. My husband and I talked seriously about removing it when my periods were still nightmarish after six months, but before I could get around to asking the gynecologist about it, the bleeding and cramps dropped off a cliff and it's been fine since. Both this thread and my doctor warned me it could take up to a year before things settled down, but I hadn't quite believed them!

• Locked thread