Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly
Fantastic OP!

I was wondering...should I be concerned about the birth control I take? I take Ogestrel (generic for Ovral, but the brand is no longer produced) which is 0.5 mg of norgestrel and 0.05 mg ethinyl estradiol. It is one of the higher(est?) estrogen content pills, and was approved by the FDA 1968, so it is pretty old compared to the more popular pills.

I had never really thought about it until I started working at a pharmacy, and one of the pharmacists was concerned that I was taking it. My uncle dropped dead of a stoke in his 30's, so I guess I could say I have a family history of stoke.

I had started on lo-ogestrel when I started the pill in 04. At the 6 mo follow-up I told her I had cramps non-stop the entire so she prescribed this and I've been on it ever since.

For personal lady part history I only got my period about once a year from age 11 to 18 (sometimes it was more than once), but now I am regular with the pill.

Even with the high dose I have no side effects. I can take 3 at once (when I am a loser at taking them...I am not seeing anyone right now so pregnancy is not a concern) and it doesn't even bother me.

I even asked my doctor in sept. if it was a good pill to take, and she said yes. However the pharmacist (who is actually good friends with the doctor) said that though doctor is very good, she might not be the best authority for birth control and said that I should visit a ob/gyn. Should I go? I worry about messing with 'a good thing' and going crazy if I change my birth control. But of course, I don't want to stoke out at 26.

I'm sorry that this is kinda long, but I wanted to put all the details that might be important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly

Reformed Tomboy posted:

The doctor that put you on this, and is telling you to stay on it is not an ob/gyn? She's a general practitioner, then? You really should see a gyno for gyn-related stuff. They are educated on that as an emphasis, and not general knowledge that "normal" doctors are given, and so are better to consult. Would you talk to your regular doctor if you had a specialized problem? No, she'd refer you to someone else. Who does your lady-check-ups?

In this case I'm going to have to agree with the pharmacist. You really should see a gyno, and you should really consider swapping types. I'm the queen of telling people to stay on pills that work, but in the case of old pills (that came out in the 60s and 70s), I don't agree. They've learned a lot since when bc first came out, and there's no reason to be on a dosage that high.

I was on a high dosage pill once, for one pack. I got it at a clinic, and when I went back to my real gyno, she freaked about it. took me off it right away. She told me she was shocked they put me on it in the first place considering it's dose, my weight, and how old the pill was. I can't recall what it was called, but I'll try to dig out the old packet I saved.

Also, is there a reason the brand version isn't made anymore?

Edit: it was Necon 1/35 1mg norethindrone and 0.035mg of ethinyl estadiol

Yes, the prescribing doctor is a general practitioner. She also does my pap smear at my annual exam. I actually have no idea why the brand isn't made any more. It might just be 'too old'. From my pharm tech experience sometimes super old stuff only exists in generic.

I've never went to an ob/gyn before, but the pharmacist recommended me the office she goes to so I will give them a call tomorrow. I have always been worried that since I don't get my period on a consistent basis without the pill I might have trouble having children. I am sure the doctor there can talk to me about that too.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly

JustinMorgan posted:

Update. They said she's probably missing her period due to stress. They put her on Sronyx. I've never heard of this pill, It's a generic. Anyone know anything about it? Have any luck with it? She's never been on hormonal birth control before, I've been trying to get her to forever. Condoms are so gross and unneccessary in a long term relationship.

Sronyx is Watson's generic of Levlite (which is no longer produced). The Teva generic of it is Lessina. I can't tell you anything else except that, though!

One thing that is a huge pet peeve of mine in this thread is: the generic of Yaz is Gianvi (made by Teva). Yasmin's generics are Ocella (Teva) and Zarah (Watson). The generic of Yaz is *not* Yasmin! Yasmin is its own brand (made by Bayer, who makes Yaz as well).

I know that was totally 'spergin of me, but I just had to get it out :)

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly
I feel really stupid asking this, but here I am! I'm on Necon 1/35. I didn't get my period so I took a test and it came back negative. The weird thing was, I had days of more than light spotting from 8-2 to 8-5 (the 2nd week of pills). So, if I were counting the time since my last missed period, would I start from the spotting as a period? Or was it fine going from when I would have had my period anyway (around the 18th)? I had had sex either July 29 or 30th.

For reference! I'm 27, and have been on the pill since I was 18. From 18 until this March I was taking Ogestrel (0.5mg norgestrel and 0.05mg ethinyl estradiol) When I went to a dedicated gyno (my PCP had always done my Pap smears) she remarked that she hasn't seen a patient on Ogestrel in 10 years, and changed it to the Necon 1/35. Even with the switch I have been getting periods regularly during the placebo week, which is why I am concerned about this weirdness. I have never had spotting like that in between periods.

Should I bother with another test? I am getting my last Gardasil shot next Wed. so should I just wait and ask then? Or am I just being worried over nothing?

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I don't understand your question. You take one pill everyday, no matter when you bleed. What do you mean when you say would you start it from the spotting? When you swapped pills did you not start the next pack right after the end your your last one?

I swapped the pills in March. I was just putting it in for additional info. :) I should have gotten my period Aug 18ish, but it never came. The last time I had one was July 16th or so, and then that random spotting in the beginning of Aug. I might have missed a day in pills (but then doubled up the next), but I don't remember.. I am sure I am just being overly anxious!

• Locked thread