Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafulz
Jul 7, 2004

Is this what we've come to?
you forgot the most important form of birth control: abstinence!!!! :supaburn:

It may also be useful to talk about failure rates because people suck at numbers. I could do a quick write up if nobody else wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafulz
Jul 7, 2004

Is this what we've come to?

Bagleworm posted:

(I think I covered everything!)

Birth control's effectiveness is measured by two different numbers: the typical use and the perfect use failure rate. Both of them attempt to give an idea of how many pregnancies will result from the use of a single method of birth control for a year.

Perfect use is exactly what it sounds like: use the method perfectly for a year, and this failure rate is the chance the method will fail on its own. This result usually comes from clinical trials over the first year of use.

Typical use is what an average person can be expected to see. Typical use usually comes from surveys and studies conducted in the real world, where people make mistakes. (They are occasionally estimated based on the typical use rates of similar methods) The result is calculated as a simple percentage: calculate how many women got pregnant while using this method as their only form of contraception, regardless of if they followed the method's instructions. (Typical use is usually calculated based on the first year. Some methods have lower typical use failure rates if you factor in more years!)

Typical use failure rates can include things like missing pills, breaking a condom, not pulling out if the pull out method is your only means of contraception, being late for your Depo reinjection... that sort of thing. Typical use failure rates can vary a few percentage points depending who did the study and on their sample size, but they are generally a good indicator of how easy the method is to do correctly. Should the method have a small perfect use but a high typical use failure rate, it generally indicates that it is easy to mess up.

Damnit, I wrote my post before noticing you had written one! You're pretty spot on, although "typical use" isn't really what the average person can be expected to see - it's more just accounting for human error. A lot of people hold the misconception that if they follow the instructions on their birth control, they still belong to the "typical use" failure rate, which leads to a lot of unnecessary freakouts. I also think it's a good idea to mention to people that if you follow the instructions you're okay.

• Locked thread