Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

asaf posted:

She has some form of arrythmia. She tells me it was described to her as multiple inputs of "some kind of fiber or nerve" that send out-of-sync signals to the heart, and was told by her doctor that she could be treated for it using metoprolol (a beta blocker) or have it permanently solved by "an operation where they burn these fibers off." A bit of wiki-ing suggests that this could be AV nodal reentrant tachycardia, which is more common in women than men, and it sort of matches up with her description of how she felt on the one or two times she noticed it happening. And the condition can indeed be treated using beta blockers or through some kind of cauterization/catherer ablation, which I imagine is probably the burning thing she referred to.

Certainly see a doctor, but I have a heart arrythmia and take metoprolol for it and have been on BC for 10 years now. No doctor has ever mentioned it being an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

drat Bananas posted:

***Gross stuff ahead!! Boys, turn back now!!!***

So I've got a Nexplanon in me and am on a lovely 24/7/365 bleeding schedule. I just got an email that it's time to schedule my annual exam and pap smear - well, obviously it's polite to wait until your period is over to have it but what if your period never stops? Can you get an exam/pap smear while bleeding? I can't find anything specific on Google other than to "reschedule to when your period is over" - what's worse, it says the period makes it harder for the pathologist to determine if there are abnormal cells and the results often come back inconclusive. What do you guys think I should do? My best guess is to wear a tampon there and then remove it right before I undress so that it has soaked up as much as possible so that there isn't too much gunk "in the way" of the cell collecting tool thingy.

I went in to get a pap on the first day of an unexpected period. My doctor had no issues poking around, but warned that with the blood the lab may not have enough clean stuff to test and if so I would have to come back in after it ended. I would call your gyne and ask them what they recommend.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

KillHour posted:

Well, of course her BC is her decision. When did I ever say it wasn't? We had a short discussion about what she wanted to do, and she pretty much just said "whatever the gyno suggests." I brought up that there are alternatives to the pill that she may want to look into if she didn't want to have to worry about taking something every day and left it at that. The "what if" talk is going to be pretty much "If you're not comfortable with getting an abortion, I'm not comfortable using only one form of birth control. Let's keep using condoms." :shrug:

Also, she's not overweight at all, so the BMI thing isn't a concern.

Edit: She said she had REALLY bad nausea all day. The OP says 3 months before the side effects taper off. Will it really take that long? Or is the first week particularly bad?

From last page, but I had one script that gave me really bad nausea the first day or two of every 'new' month/pack, but then it went away and the rest of the month was fine. This lasted the entire time I used that BC (the patch, not a pill)

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm in month 3 of my Mirena IUD. For those of you that have one, how long did it take for your periods to slow down/stop completely? Mine seem to have gotten worse. Not heavier, but they last longer with slow flow and spotting. That, and the cramps are far worse. If it matters: 35, no kids, generally a regular period that lasts 4-5 days before Mirena, now lasting 7-10 days with Mirena. Also still have occasional spotting randomly during the rest of the month.

I had one half period the month I got the IUD, and three months of 2-3 days spotting the year after. However, I was also on the pill for 10 years, which may have helped.

• Locked thread